Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA - Living the Nomad Life

Beginning this year, I had resigned from my permanent job and started working as a traveling contractor. The nature of the work is contracts are full time for thirteen weeks, with an occasional thirteen-week extension. Since frequent job changes precluded me from renting a house, I got a 24 foot RV (thanks dad for helping me out with this!) and sold off/gave away all my 'stuff' when my house lease expired and now live in my RV. I still have my car which I tow when I have to change locations, but other than living in an RV park like KOA, or in the back forty of a friend's or relative's property, it's pretty much the same as living in a studio apartment.

The up side - I have no major utility bills and renting an RV space for a month is WAY cheaper than renting a small apartment. Biggest cost is fuel for the RV and car, and the propane tank that runs the heater and refrigerator. Electricity and waste disposal and water connection is usually factored into the RV space rental at RV parks, and there is an onboard water reserve for short term parking. Another 'upside' factor is the relative freedom one has.

The down side - room. There seems never to be enough of it. Not that I miss having 'stuff', but sometimes you want to have some more elbow room. The bed is nice, but it can get a bit stiff. There is also a certain stigma that comes from not having a permanent address. Some consider us 'homeless' and 'bums' and such even though most have regular or semi-regular jobs of some sort.

Feel free to ask me questions about this nomad lifestyle and I'll do my best to answer! :)
I lived in a rv for 4 years so my question is: Do you use real TP or RV TP? :D
The Laundry Struggle

other than that i don't have any questions, just wanna nod in solidarity lmao
What address do you use for IDs and contacts and stuff?
Dawnia Topic Starter

Masquerade wrote:
I lived in a rv for 4 years so my question is: Do you use real TP or RV TP? :D

Costco Kirkland brand. It breaks down just as fast and easily as the extra cost 'RV. TP. Some say it will clog up the blackwater tank, but regular flush-out maintenance takes care of it.

oven wrote:
The Laundry Struggle

other than that i don't have any questions, just wanna nod in solidarity lmao

That can vary. Where I was at, they had a community center that had a modern laundromat. Where I'm at now I have to use a commercial laundromat which is one of the costs.

silentruth wrote:
What address do you use for IDs and contacts and stuff?
I'm getting a PO Box since I just moved. I was using my dad's address since I was close to him. For packages I used the RV park address, and now I can use the address of where I'm parked at since its a private RV park run by a relative. :)
Kim Site Admin

Do you ever plan to go back to non-nomadic living, or do you think this is the life style for you for the foreseeable future? :)
Dawnia Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Do you ever plan to go back to non-nomadic living, or do you think this is the life style for you for the foreseeable future? :)
I think this lifestyle will be temporary for me. I am saving a lot of money living nomad while working fulltime, so maybe if I decide to take a permanent job somewhere I will see about buying a house. Will probably stick with it for another year. My contract I just started is up in April 2023.

If anyone is interested in seeing what gave me the idea in the first place, watch Nomadland. It's a touching story about an elderly seasonal worker at Amazon.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA - Living the Nomad Life

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus