Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AI Art Generation: Beneficial or Problematic?

The artist Refik Anadol did a cool exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC in 2022-2023 called Unsupervised where they fed the entire museum collection to an AI and just let it riff for a year in a room while people watched. *shrug* I thought that was a neat experience.

Ben Moderator

winplaceshow wrote:
The artist Refik Anadol did a cool exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC in 2022-2023 called Unsupervised where they fed the entire museum collection to an AI and just let it riff for a year in a room while people watched. *shrug* I thought that was a neat experience.

This is very cool. I do think it's reductive to say that generative AI has no artistic potential or can't be used to make art. This is a great example of a thought-provoking and artistic use case. But the average prompt probably doesn't meet the criteria for artistic expression.
Ben wrote:
Original Sin
Setting the law aside, generative AI image creators were created in a way that is fundamentally against the spirit of copyright and fair use. The creators of these models knew what they were attempting to create; a tool capable of replacing art and artists in the market. In service of this goal, they copied work without authorization.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan
Quote:
God was once approached by a scientist who said, “Listen God, we’ve decided we don’t need you anymore. These days we can clone people, transplant organs and do all sorts of things that used to be considered miraculous.”

God replied, “Don’t need me huh? How about we put your theory to the test. Why don’t we have a competition to see who can make a human being, say, a male human being.”

The scientist agrees, so God declares they should do it like he did in the good old days when he created Adam.

“Fine” says the scientist as he bends down to scoop up a handful of dirt.”

“Whoa!” says God, shaking his head in disapproval. “Not so fast. You get your own dirt.”
Text copied from here but this story is older than God's dirt.

These AI guys can go find their own dirt.
Ben Moderator

Aardbei wrote:
Ben wrote:
Original Sin
Setting the law aside, generative AI image creators were created in a way that is fundamentally against the spirit of copyright and fair use. The creators of these models knew what they were attempting to create; a tool capable of replacing art and artists in the market. In service of this goal, they copied work without authorization.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan
Quote:
God was once approached by a scientist who said, “Listen God, we’ve decided we don’t need you anymore. These days we can clone people, transplant organs and do all sorts of things that used to be considered miraculous.”

God replied, “Don’t need me huh? How about we put your theory to the test. Why don’t we have a competition to see who can make a human being, say, a male human being.”

The scientist agrees, so God declares they should do it like he did in the good old days when he created Adam.

“Fine” says the scientist as he bends down to scoop up a handful of dirt.”

“Whoa!” says God, shaking his head in disapproval. “Not so fast. You get your own dirt.”
Text copied from here but this story is older than God's dirt.

These AI guys can go find their own dirt.

Ha, excellent reference!
Ai art is good when it is experienced. But regularly. No. It's not. T^T
Alliyus wrote:
Ai art is good when it is experienced. But regularly. No. It's not. T^T

easier for it to slip through experienced eyes too :(

ᵘʳ ᵖᶠᵖ ᶦˢ ᵃᶦ...
Eh... I don't mind it. I only have a problem with it when the artist starts using images that they did not have clear permissions to use and sell the generated artworks for profit without giving due credit to the artists' works that the AI artist uses.

I'm honestly thinking of starting to use it to generate mostly background images that I can use as references or sketch it out in my art (of course I would use pictures that are in the public domain license). And like my good friend Kruhee, I would want to use it for my character profiles as well, for noncommercial reasons. I'm starting to realize that character art for roleplaying takes time. Time I have so little of now. Art can't be rushed and I have little time. So I want to focus my art instead on working on my story and use AI generated artworks for some of my characters. I'm thinking of starting this path soon.

(Also there's so much of it now that I can recognize somewhat if it's AI or not. I look at the hands, the style of the image, I look if the clothing extends to the skin like the stripes of socks extending to the thighs by accident, and the proportions of the figure of the person, this one is a big one because some artists I know that use AI, like Shadiversity, doesn't know how to proportion their characters well, like all of the girls Shad makes are very... large headed than normal.)
You seem to misunderstand how much choice a user has in what gets referenced and what gets generated. ^^; Might want to read back through the thread a bit.
Torag1000 wrote:
Eh... I don't mind it. I only have a problem with it when the artist starts using images that they did not have clear permissions to use and sell the generated artworks for profit without giving due credit to the artists' works that the AI artist uses.

I'm honestly thinking of starting to use it to generate mostly background images that I can use as references or sketch it out in my art (of course I would use pictures that are in the public domain license). And like my good friend Kruhee, I would want to use it for my character profiles as well, for noncommercial reasons. I'm starting to realize that character art for roleplaying takes time. Time I have so little of now. Art can't be rushed and I have little time. So I want to focus my art instead on working on my story and use AI generated artworks for some of my characters. I'm thinking of starting this path soon.

(Also there's so much of it now that I can recognize somewhat if it's AI or not. I look at the hands, the style of the image, I look if the clothing extends to the skin like the stripes of socks extending to the thighs by accident, and the proportions of the figure of the person, this one is a big one because some artists I know that use AI, like Shadiversity, doesn't know how to proportion their characters well, like all of the girls Shad makes are very... large headed than normal.)

Might I interest you in Picrew or Heroforge?

Or just jack some sprites from old video games off Google and splice those together like we did in the good old days. You think my Furcadia dreams were custom art? Nope.

The problem with using AI for this is that AI art becomes indexed in search engines and parts of the model are fed back into the algorithm to assist in its training model. It picks up on keywords people frequently use and trains itself to create better results. AI creates a real problem for people besides you when you use it because of how many search results in Google are AI now.

AI is just photobashing but worse, honestly. I don't consider photobashing art either and don't have much respect for it as an assistant in art people post to bolster their portfolio (Learn to draw your own backgrounds, you plebs!) but it's a skill you can learn and produces better results than an AI can in probably about the time it takes the AI to generate 50 images and have you pick from those.

TL;DR there are alternative image generators that don't make the internet worse for everyone, including just learning to kitbash yourself and get a result that is closer to what you want.
Aardbei wrote:
Might I interest you in Picrew or Heroforge?

Or just jack some sprites from old video games off Google and splice those together like we did in the good old days. You think my Furcadia dreams were custom art? Nope.

The problem with using AI for this is that AI art becomes indexed in search engines and parts of the model are fed back into the algorithm to assist in its training model. It picks up on keywords people frequently use and trains itself to create better results. AI creates a real problem for people besides you when you use it because of how many search results in Google are AI now.

AI is just photobashing but worse, honestly. I don't consider photobashing art either and don't have much respect for it as an assistant in art people post to bolster their portfolio (Learn to draw your own backgrounds, you plebs!) but it's a skill you can learn and produces better results than an AI can in probably about the time it takes the AI to generate 50 images and have you pick from those.

TL;DR there are alternative image generators that don't make the internet worse for everyone, including just learning to kitbash yourself and get a result that is closer to what you want.

Never heard of Picrew. I'll check it out. I heard of HeroForge, but I'm never really interested in it.

Lol, I remember my sister doing that when she was young, making pixelated sprites of dolls. Not the same as the Spriters Resource, but similar.

Also I'm not really a furry so I don't know what this Furcadia thing is.

Hmm, reading what you said, you make a good point. I never really thought of it that way. I thought the data being indexed was mostly search results of some people that advertisers can use to advertise their products to the person that searches up a certain object and products of the certain object is all they see on the sides now.

Hmm, I think I'll just learn to kitbash myself rather than rely on some AI generators that don't seem to work well for what I actually want to use for noncommercial reasons. I know of some games like the old Flash game of The Last Stand that uses kitbashing of pictures to make the game and its art assets since the creator didn't like the style that Flash Games back then were going for. Thanks!
Torag1000 wrote:

Despite, the name, Furcadia was a lot more than just furries (though it was probably mostly furries?). I never used it myself, but a lot of the older (at least in terms of account age) folks on this site have, plenty with characters who have no animal features at all. Seems like it was sort of like part virtual hangout maps, part RP? And I guess folks were able to create their own unique maps with custom functions and stuff, pouring as much work into a totally unique thing as they wanted, pretty much. Even had its own scripting language.

I might be totally wrong, but from what I've seen, it was sort of like having RPG Maker, with all its tools and customization, as an MMO.
Zelphyr wrote:
Torag1000 wrote:

Despite, the name, Furcadia was a lot more than just furries (though it was probably mostly furries?). I never used it myself, but a lot of the older (at least in terms of account age) folks on this site have, plenty with characters who have no animal features at all. Seems like it was sort of like part virtual hangout maps, part RP? And I guess folks were able to create their own unique maps with custom functions and stuff, pouring as much work into a totally unique thing as they wanted, pretty much. Even had its own scripting language.

I might be totally wrong, but from what I've seen, it was sort of like having RPG Maker, with all its tools and customization, as an MMO.

Yeah something like that.

The actual tools were great. I loved making stuff in it. But I have strong opinions about its management that I probably shouldn't air here.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AI Art Generation: Beneficial or Problematic?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus