Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Character Genders?

Does anyone have a specific gender they only like to play or seem to play that gender better then others?

I tend to play mostly males as I seem to be able to make better and more diverse personalities for them compared to my own sex (female). When I play as a female I always tend to have a more shy like character even if I try to make one with a more harsh personality it always ends up being the opposite. Does anyone else have a similar problem or just likes playing one gender over another? I'm curious. ^_^
I don't have any trouble, and I actually feel a little odd without a reasonable balance. I know a guy who always played female characters, though, and he played them very well. He found it difficult and awkward to play a guy, despite having no trouble acting like a guy himself.
I think I tend to do male characters better because I'm male, but I often use female characters as well, some for story reasons, some because... it just seemed to suit them better and some just for the variety of it. I like to RP different genders because I think it'd help me in developing my roleplaying skills, letting me get into females' heads... as far as that's possible for a guy anyway, which admittedly probably isn't all that far.

Plus when I first envision some of my characters they just pop into my head as a certain gender, and I'll often find it more difficult to switch them to the opposite gender in my head, like it.. doesn't suit them.

I tend to avoid romantic-type RPs using female characters because it would... just feel a bit weird. That said I've been thinking of experimenting with some of my female character's sexuality since I've only ever done straight characters and it might be an interesting new thing to try out.
ForsakenAngel Topic Starter

Yeah I don't know why but I can't seem to create females that are unique in personalities. Only have two females at the moment. Not that I mind playing males more. XD I just seem to be able to get into character better as males then females oddly enough.
Because I'm Male, I do find it easier to roleplay as guys. I do have a female character but I still find it easier to think up a male character than a female character.
I can play either gender, I don't have a problem with that but it is the personalities that can catch me. I believe all my characters have a kind side to them deep down, no matter how they act, but six of them show it without a problem while the other eight either give the cold shoulder to strangers or don't want to show they are kind because they believe other's will use it against. I can't really play a shy person, I have before but after getting to know someone, they ended up showing signs of being stubborn. I have a hard time playing characters that don't have an independent soul. (You can tell by Kuro. :P)
I actually ran into a bit of a problem with apparently playing a male too well. It was Loki Nightblade, the first male I'd really spent much time playing. One girl got particularly upset when she found out I'm female, and told me, "I thought I'd finally found a literate boyfriend!"

Mind you, we'd only even played once or twice. x.x
Sanne Moderator

The majority of my characters are females, simply because I like drama, and they're more apt to cause it than guys in my experience. I find it difficult to play males because a lot of females (players/characters) instantly want romance or sex roleplays, and it often comes back down to that. If not romance, there's always some other male character trying to one up his manliness in front of my character. I'm kind of tired of it.

If they're also not super masculine and heroic, nobody wants to play with them. (I have a chubby/fat werewolf guy who everyone kept complimenting for his design, but nobody felt compelled to have a story with him because he wasn't a suitable romantic partner or wasn't tough enough.)

Females on the other hand have a broader spectrum of potential roleplays, for some reason. Yes, a lot of it also comes down to romance/sex RPs, but so far every female/female combination I've RPed has been tons and tons of fun.

I don't know. I prefer both genders equally as this point (and any gender/sexuality in between there), but my kind of stories draw so much less roleplay opportunities when my characters are men that I've kept my list relatively short.
I'm happy to do non-romantic RPs (and I don't do sex) with either gender! If there IS romance in an RP, I feel it should develop organically.
Yuka

deleted
Yuka

I play humanoid males best, although I have had characters that are anthro or mythical, and/or female. My longest-running character is in fact female, but at the moment she is more of a plot device and NPC, rather than one that is actively role-played (Loremaster).
Novalyyn wrote:
I actually ran into a bit of a problem with apparently playing a male too well. It was Loki Nightblade, the first male I'd really spent much time playing. One girl got particularly upset when she found out I'm female, and told me, "I thought I'd finally found a literate boyfriend!"

Mind you, we'd only even played once or twice. x.

...Talk about awkward. That's why I normally make a firm note on any of my characters' sites that what happens IC does not equate to OOC.

And in relation to your later topic, I do not RP sex explicitly (implied/fade to black only), but so far as IC romance goes, the more natural and longer it takes to happen, the better it seems to be.
I think because I'm female, I tend to have an easier time playing females. I can manage to play males, but mainly as NPCs. The only male character I had that I got attached to was a kid named Monder I created as a party member for a 1 on 1 FUDGE game. I was the GM but still. He was very easy and fun to play, but any other time, I seem to have more luck getting attached to and playing females. If I play a male he's usually a child.

Or still an NPC lol.

I'm really not too certain why, so I think perhaps it's because I'm a chick.

Or I play a chick who kinda acts and dresses like a guy? But she's still a chick? I have no idea.
Novalyyn wrote:
I actually ran into a bit of a problem with apparently playing a male too well.

Hahaha, I have a Kudos, I believe, where one of my friends refers to me as "he" because she thought I was a guy. I had only male characters at the time. XD It's a big joke between us now. It makes me laugh. (I still only have a handful of female characters!)

I tend to RP males for the reason that my females tend to be terribly cardboard-stereotypes. If I can base a female off a personality and not "just because she's female", then I can RP them with little trouble. Deanna and Terri are my current females whom I've found I can RP with little trouble. It's a nice change to actually RP the girl occasionally. XD
Yeah, I had people believing I was actually a guy for a long time too. To be fair, though, I used a second account for that character (and a couple other males) and a male avatar, so... my own fault for trying to be sneaky.

I just didn't want to worry about any mental conflicts of "that's a girl playing guy."

Although, weirdly enough, I remember coming across a writing analyzer that's supposed to identify gender by style. It was kinda heavily weighted toward use of gendered words, but that aside... the thing couldn't decide if I was male or female.
XD

14 guy characters -
6 girls

so, I guess its obvious I play males better :3
Most if characters are girls and I only have two boys, so I play females better than males.
My first RP character was male and I played him from age 8ish to age 40ish over two or three years.

I have made up more female characters than males ones, but most of my characters haven't been used. Of those that have, one was both male and female, four are female, four are male. Two more females aren't in use yet and another without a gender is also not in use.

Of those I am currently using, two are male(though one is used for many characters within his RP's universe) the other two are female.

One is a human woman raised by miniature elephants on an island.

One is a woman who dresses and lives as a man.

One is the brother of the second woman.

and the other man is a fairy creature.

A few years ago I'd have said I play male's more since I only had the one character who was male. Now I don't know. I think by this point I've played more females than males, but I only have a certain amount of control over what my characters are like so it's hard to say if I play one gender more than the other for sure.
Ms_Draca wrote:
[...] one was both male and female [..]
Hermaphrodite, or swapped?

Ms_Draca wrote:
One is a human woman raised by miniature elephants on an island.
o.o Neat.

Ms_Draca wrote:
[...] another without a gender is also not in use. [...] and the other man is a fairy creature.
I have a genderless pseudo-pixie that's more masculine by structure but more childish/feminine by behavior - does that count? ^^
Novalyyn wrote:
Hermaphrodite, or swapped?

Kikuto is a hermaphrodite, or more accurately intersex. I had made another hyena which was female than deleted her and made a male(named Tam) then deleted him and then I made Kikuto. I just couldn't decide what to make Ki so I made it confused. It is the pronoun it uses for itself. Others are free to use whichever pronoun they want for the hyena.
Its rainin' men, hallelujah it's rainin' men!

I pretty predominantly RP as only dudes. ;D

When I first began RPing, I only did female characters. It was like that for maybe the first 5 years of RPing for me. Then, I was finding the people playing male characters ( especially my favorites) were friggen awful at it, and I decided to lead by example. I ended up enjoying it waaay better.

I do occasionally do intersex, genderless or trans character's as well. I do still have a few ladies lingering around, but I barely ever feel like using them.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Character Genders?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus