Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » OFFICIAL CONTEST: Baking/Cooking

What’s a birthday without a special meal and a cake? Treat the RPR to a special something for its fourth birthday!

To enter:
In this contest, you must bake or cook something. Post pictures or the recipe -- bonus points for both!

Your entry must somehow be themed to fit one of these categories:
  • The RP Repository
  • Fantasy
  • Science Fiction
  • Science, Gaming or other Nerdly Pursuits

A cake with an RPR slogan in icing? Yes please. Your recreation of the “coney stew” that Samwise Gamgee prepared for Frodo while they were on the long path to Moria? Absolutely. Rock candy you somehow crafted into perfect d20s? Genius!

You cannot enter pictures of food other people created, nor post copyrighted recipes; ie something you got out of a cookbook or magazine. Make sure it’s truly your culinary creation.

You may use molds and other special tools, so long as they are in support of a larger effort, not just something you purchased and submitted. For example, if you were to simply submit a picture of a chocolate millennium falcon you made by pouring white chocolate into a purchased mold, you would be disqualified. If on the other hand you used the resultant chocolate spaceship as part of an asteroid-field battle themed scene cake, that would be okay.

Prizes:
  • 6 month epic membership
  • 3 month epic membership
  • 3 extra character slots
  • MYSTERY GIFT #1
  • MYSTERY GIFT #2
  • RPR T-shirt (if your size is available -- otherwise a MINI MYSTERY GIFT!)

The first place winner will get to pick any one of these prizes. Then second place picks from the remaining prizes, then third, etc.

Deadline:
Get all your entries in by May 18th.
Sanne Moderator

AAAH so many ideaaaaaasssss. I'm so in!!!
Must.....find..... my whisk Q_Q
This sounds like a fun project. If I have time I might have to try my hand at it!
As soon as I get my hands on supplies..This will happen! :D
I'm working on my shopping list right now. Next Friday should be a really busy day for me!
Is it okay if I do a bunch of different days? My gaming group meets on Fridays and I have meals planned for them, but I don't know if they'd like three different dinner items all on one day!
Kim Site Admin

Cacophony wrote:
Is it okay if I do a bunch of different days? My gaming group meets on Fridays and I have meals planned for them, but I don't know if they'd like three different dinner items all on one day!

There are no rules about having to do all your cooking at once. :)
Eeeh this kind of thing is right up my alley! I love making silly cakes for my family for their birthdays- so why not a silly cake for RPRs birthday? This is a great idea! My cake batter is already in the oven :D
Sanne Moderator

I've decided I'm not entering this one after all. :( Don't have the resources to bake or cook something for RPR. Perhaps we can have this contest next year too? :D
Kim Site Admin

Sanne wrote:
I've decided I'm not entering this one after all. :( Don't have the resources to bake or cook something for RPR. Perhaps we can have this contest next year too? :D

Perhaps! No idea yet what next year's contests will be. :)
I was planning on entering this, but having a little one running around whose one and a half and me having the lovely nausea from being pregnant I will just have to wait till next time if we have this one again. ^^;

However I would like to say good luck to all who are entering I can't wait to see some delicious creations. <3 :D
What if it's from Nerdy Nommies? Ro always encourages using her stuff
Sanne Moderator

fadedsympathy wrote:
What if it's from Nerdy Nommies? Ro always encourages using her stuff

The rules say it has to be your own culinary creation. I'm going to guess that making minecraft cupcakes according to Nerdy Nummies' recipe will not really count as being your own. You'll probably have to invent your own minecraft cupcakes instead. (Just using minecraft as an example here.)
Aww, I love to bake, and I really wanted to join this one.
But it looks like I'm out this year :/
Oh well, hope we do this contest again next year! :D
So I help my mom raise my little brother and sister. Every year they have a tendency to ask for a cake that is way above mommy/sissy skill level. BUT we have a tradition of trying, anyway, and making it as absolutely silly as possible. When I asked one of them what to do for the contest, she replied, "You should make a fat unicorn like you did for me one year!" (story of that is, she saw this really fab rainbow unicorn cake online, asked for one, and I totally NAILED IT!! oh yeah)

So after lots of confectioners sugar and sticking to everything I touch, I present you all with this!

uni1_zpscb805463.jpg
uni2_zps4d099d2c.jpg

Happy Birthday, RPR.

Oh, yes, and I do have the recipe, in case anyone wants to punish themselves.

The cake itself was actually just 2 regular box mixes. (Protip: you can make boxed cake absolutely divine by shoving it in the freezer right out of the oven and let it stay frozen until you get ready to ice it. No one will ever know it is a boxed cake!) I let it freeze and carved it while frozen. Here it is, in all its unfinished glory.

After carving the cake you will want to cover it in buttercream icing. (This helps the fondant to stick and is the best thing ever) THIS is a really good buttercream frosting recipe. Simple, too! And everyone will LOVE it. Here he is, all covered.

Next is the difficult part: the fondant. I absolutely hate premade fondant or whatever it is made of. It is gross, hard, and no one really likes the taste. So if you want to really impress some kids and family, make some marshmallow fondant! This stuff is the best. All fondant is pretty difficult to work with, however, which is why I only use it when I am being silly lol.

So, even though fat RPR unicorn may not LOOK professionally made, he is definitely going to TASTE great later on! And in the end, that's what counts, isn't it? ;)
Kim Site Admin

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMGOMG XD XD XD XD XD
Holy wow! That is awesome!
Loki Topic Starter

Oh my gosh XD XD that is fantastic! I love it! :D
Professor Charles Xa (played anonymously)

Amazing cake, Ruby! Woohoo!!!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » OFFICIAL CONTEST: Baking/Cooking

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus