Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Thief and the Fox (1x1 Closed RP)

It was the dead of night, yet the castle bells echoed loudly through the cobbled streets of the city. Torches and men on horseback were in pursuit of a single, hooded thief who ran the hundreds of steps down to the lower district. In her arms rested a satchel carrying only one item when it was so often filled with hundreds of coins. This was bigger than a bag full of gold though. The Empire's most precious item was in her possession and she wasn't going to give it up unless they pried it from her cold dead hands.

"Close the gate!" she heard the guards yell over the low toll of the bell. Just as she heard that, her exit which was just a few meters ahead was sealed off as the large metal gate came crashing down. This was fine, she thought to herself as she slung the bag over her shoulder and began to climb. The men on the horses had almost caught up to her at this point and she mustered all the strength she had to speed climb up the metal gate up to the top of the city's wall. Two guards were above her trying to peer down into the darkness and she grabbed one by his tunic and pulled him over the side of the wall as she climbed on up. The second guard fumbled with his bow and arrow allowing the thief to land a nice left hook before throwing him over the wall as well. Arrows flew up at her from the lower ground as the men on horseback had finally caught up with her.

They were too late, however as the thief jumped off the other side into the murky waters of the city's moat. By the time the guards had managed to send someone up the wall to open the gate, the thief was long gone. Mounted and left towards the wilderness.

She had traveled perhaps half of the remaining night, pushing her horse to its limits before she stopped at a tavern miles away from where she pulled the heist. The thief tied her horse but didn't go into the tavern. No. Celebration of this nature was often held alone and she slunk off to the side of the tavern before reaching into her satchel to pull out her prize. She sank down, leaning against the wood of the tavern wall as she held a small, silver tiara. She threw off her hood, shaking her short black hair away from her sweat drenched face as she examined the five odd jewels fixed evenly on the tiara. With a sigh, she laid her head back, laughing to herself and resisting the urge to just shout out in triumph. All that was left was to figure out what the tiara did but that was something she could worry about later. In the mean time, she needed to catch her breath.
Kitsu (played by kuroi_neko)

Golden eyes peered from outside into the tavern of the small town. They darted back and forth, as they observed the occupants inside. A female sat on a crate underneath the window, and she seemed very intent on studying the movements and behaviors of the people inside. Originally, she had only been looking for someone in particular. But the actions she witnessed peaked her curiosity, and she couldn't help but watch them now. Not to mention the sight of the food was really tempting as well. Perhaps they would throw the leftovers out as scraps...

She jumped a bit, when she heard someone sit down abruptly just a ways down from her, and then quiet laughter. She would have run away right then, but she had had her feet tucked underneath herself, so moving quickly was quite difficult. So instead, she tried to shrink back into the furry tails of her dress that sat around her, hoping the person wouldn't notice her.
Ophelia Hannelore (played by itsjustgent) Topic Starter

THe thief sat there for a while, staring up at the stars while thumbing the jewels engraved on the frame. She hadn't noticed anyone else around her and had assumed everyone would be in the tavern rather than waiting outside like she was. Feeling safe, the thief reached into her pocket and fished out a small, circular mirror and held it before her as she gently placed the tiara on her head. The second she did so, however, she saw the face in the mirror blur as unnatural lights were reflected at her. She dropped the mirror and looked around. It was dark, nothing but moonlight and the soft light from the torches just around the corner were present. She looked at the mirror again, the hue of bright yellow covered where her face would be and it slowly turned into a soft green. She didn't understand and as she puzzled over what she was seeing, the colors over her reflection changed into a teal-ish color. Odd, she thought, as she dropped the mirror again to look around. She then noticed another hue just off to her side, hiding behind the cover of shadows. A soft yellow that seamed just as alive as her own reflection.

"WHo's there?" she said, tearing off the tiara and stuffing it back in the back. The second she took it off, however, the light faded and she was left looking at a shadow. That is, until her eyes readjusted and she realized someone was indeed there. "Show yourself!"

With a near whimper, the female tried to bury herself deeper in the furs, but found it to be no use. She pushed herself up slowly, sliding off to the opposite side of the crate, to make sure it was between her and the other female. "I-I'm sorry," came a quiet voice, as she looked to the woman. "I didn't think anyone would come out here tonight. I was just looking for someone." It appeared that the flustered young woman thought that the other was some authority, or similar, and that she had been caught peeping through the window.

She quickly straightened her posture, her long black hair swaying in its braid behind her. "I'll l-leave," she said, and tried to slink backward, before she got into anymore trouble.

From what she could make out in the darkness, she saw a rather fluffy form speaking with and judging by the sound of the voice, she figured the person to be a young woman. A young woman in furry attire? Either she was from a barbarian tribe or one of those rich nobles who liked to wear animal hides. Based on the distance they were from any major city, she figured it to be the former, that is until she caught the faint glimmer of a rather large, blue gem resting around the girl's neck.

"Hold on, now, I'm not here to hurt you," she said, talking more to the gem rather than the girl. She took a cautious step towards her, "You know, a person like you shouldn't be out here alone so late at night. Bandits and thieves usually lurk around these times."

"I-I'm not worried," she blatantly lied. She closed her eyes for a moment, and took another step back, since the other had taken a step forward. She wasn't quite used to people approaching her just yet, and she really only did it out of instinct. "Besides, how do I know you aren't a bandit... or a thief? You are out wandering in the night."

She swallowed hard, and readied herself to run if the woman tried anything. Her slightly glowing eyes were a little better than normal in this darkness, so she could see every move the woman made.

"Well, no one can ever be sure of that, right?" she said, tucking the tiara back into her bag as she spoke, "but if I were a bandit I would've mugged you right now, asked for anything valuable in your possession, etc, etc. but I'm not doing that am I?" She stopped advancing and instead slumped down on the dirt in mock exhaustion. She patted the cold ground beneath her. "You see, I'm a poor traveler without coin to afford a bed and must sleep out here in the cold of night. I'd gladly go in to warm myself in the fire but I fear the owner might not take too kindly of me, being nothing short of a beggar. Bandits aren't beggars, right? I'm innocent, really. I was merely asking out of concern for the safety of a little gem like yourself. Understand?"

The girl looked to her, as she sat on the ground. Then a smile broke across her face. "I guess you are right. Besides, even if you were a bandit, I don't have anything valuable on me. I don't have any coin. That's one of the reasons I am out here too!" It had been apparently then, that the girl in furs hadn't seen the tiara, and actually believed the lie.

"I was hoping they would throw some food out soon, but, it looks like they are having too much fun in there." She hopped back up on the crate, and peered inside again, though, a large head was in her view now, and she couldn't really see anything. So she turned back to the woman on the ground. What was the custom at this point? Was it rude to ask questions? Or give names?

"Um... well, my name is Kitsu, if that is not impolite to give at this time." She looked flustered again, and she looked away from the other, toward the ground.

The thief blinked, a little confused at the statement. How can a person who dressed like that be a beggar. Elaborate furs often meant elaborate titles and she wanted to dig a little more on the subject. But the girl seemed too gullible, too innocent, to question any further. What did she care anyways? All the thief knew was business and her business was that shining gem around the neck of the girl. "I'm not too sure if you're going to get anything from them inside but, if you're hungry I got some home-cooked food here in my pack..." she reached into her side pouch, making sure to reach away from a few smaller wrapped linens that held poisonous dusts and chemicals to get to a leather-wrapped pack of jerky.

"Beef jerky," she said as she unwrapped it and set the contents down in front of her. "Made from the town's finest cow." Of course, she withheld the information on how she stole the cow, sold it to the butcher and stole the finest cuts for herself, but she figured the girl didn't care much for a boring old tale like that, anyways.

"Kitsu, huh? That's an odd name. My name's Ophelia. Ophelia Hannelore of Millburrow on the other side of the kingdom's region. Don't be shy now, help yourself to some food before I have it all to myself. Tell you what, Kitsu, how about you and I stick together for tonight? It wouldn't help to watch each other's backs until dawn. Two people are always harder to rob than one. I know from experience."

Kitsu looked to Ophelia, and nodded her head as she introduced herself. But, her mind was more on the meats that she pulled out. Kitsu hesitated, once again, not wanting to be rude, but her hunger got the better of her. She hopped off the crate, and made her way toward the woman, taking some of the meat from her. She studied it for a moment, before taking a nibble off the end. Her eyes lit up with excitement. Real meat! It had been a while since she had eaten any. And it was so good. She took a larger bite, and ate it vigorously.

"Ah, you... you don't mind?" she asked, when Ophelia mentioned sticking together. She had a point. It would be harder to get robbed. "I don't mind at all. I usually sleep during the day, so it will be nice to have someone to talk to, tonight." She didn't really sleep during the day, just napped on and off, and did a majority of it during the evening hours.

She smiled, gritting her teeth at the same time as her plan was somewhat foiled when Kitsu claimed she didn't sleep at night. "You're an odd one," she said as she watched her scarf down her food. "Why would a lone girl like yourself stay up at night? People usually function during the day. You get to see more people like that. And, um, you said you were looking for someone, right? You're better off asking for help from people rather than staring into taverns in the dead of night. Who're you looking for anyways? Must be some mead guzzler if you're checking this late at night." She shook her head. "Let me tell you, Kitsu, men like that? They're only good for the night. Come day time, they usually turn out to be very bitter or ignorant. So who is he?" she stood up and peaked into the window. There was a man playing a lute, the barkeep, and two brawny men chatting up a storm over the warm hearth. "Please tell me you're at least talking about the bard playing music. At least the left half of his face isn't riddled with sores."

"Oh no!" Kitsu exclaimed, blushing when Ophelia mentioned who she was looking for. "He's not like that at all. I'm just checking every place I can." She was a bit confused on the 'good for the night' part, but she didn't ask. "He's actually very kind, and very helpful. He was learning magic from his grandfather, and then, when I went to find him one day, they were just gone. So, I'm trying to find him. I'm not sure where he may have gone, but I don't mind just looking anywhere I can." She peered into the window as well.

"I do ask people, if they have seen him... but, only on occasion. I don't do very well around hum -- people." She caught herself. "What is... a bard?" she asked, peering into the window, trying to figure out who Ophelia was talking about.

"You really are an odd one," she said with a smile, "A bard is someone who sings and plays music and they get paid for it. An honest living, really. Plus they have a way of getting attention from the fairer sex which is why I assumed he was the one you were talking about. But I guess I'm wrong." She stopped looking and leaned against the wall in thought.

"Very kind, very helpful... You don't find a lot of that today. I'll tell you now, you're looking in the wrong places. Someone who practices magic wouldn't frequent a tavern. No. They'd break him like a toothpick just by breathing in his direction. Figuratively of course." She caught herself, at the comment and reminded herself of Kitsu's apparent naivety.

Ophelia thought for a moment, running a dirty hand over her smooth chin. Magic was definitely not one of her strong points. If anything she was as dumb as a rock when it came to the arcane arts but what she did know was how to extort information. Why, just right now, she was extorting a young woman for info on figuring out the purpose of the tiara. Whether she really extorted the girl or not, she was happy she came up with an idea and she mentally patted herself in the back for her intuition. "Where he WOULD go would be some kind of guild or something. Somewhere where they can learn from one another without the day-to-day interrupting their study. Why, I bet you he's over there right now with his nose in a book or what have you. I need to go there, anyways. I'd be happy to take you along with me if you'd like? I could always use a companion to help me with some things..." As she spoke again, she had her eyes on the gem around the girls neck. Self control, she thought to herself, if she takes the bait now, then the gem is as good as hers.

Kitsu's eyes had grown wide when Ophelia mentioned someone breaking him like a toothpick, but let out a relieved sigh at her next words. And when Ophelia seemed to know just exactly where her person might be...

"Oh, you really think so?! That's wonderful that you think he might be there!" She beamed at the woman brightly, and nearly went to hug her, but restrained herself. After all this searching, she finally found someone who seemed to know what they were talking about. And with any luck, she would find the male very soon.

"His name is Fallon, so when we get there, you can ask about him." The way she was sitting, and looking at Ophelia with such joy, one would almost expect one of those tails to start waving around in joy.

Ophelia giggled, raising her hand at Kitsu, "Alright, alright. Calm down, then. We'll set out tomorrow along the main road. It's a few days travel by horse and, like I said, I'm coinless so we're going to have to make a few stops on the way there. I'd say, five days until we get there if you follow me... You really are a playful one aren't you." She was like a puppy, Ophelia thought to herself, I always wanted one... Maybe I'll steal one along the way.

Kitsu gave a small laugh, and finished off what remaining meat she had in her hand. She peered inside, but then asked Ophelia a question. "What brings you so far this way? You said you are from some place farther away, so... why would you be here?" She hoped that she wasn't asking anything to offend the woman, but she was curious. Of course, she too, had her secrets, and wouldn't mind if Ophelia didn't want to talk about it.

"I'm a beggar," she answered in a light tone, "A very restless beggar, oh you wouldn't understand how much I loathe sitting by the streets asking for coin. I think the best way to make some money is to... well... do odd jobs. I've been doing this for years and look, I've earned my own horse, I'm not dressed completely in rags... basically, If I find anything of worth on my travels I sell it. Plain and simple. Which is why I ended up all the way over here. You know, I bet you could make a decent amount of money pawning off that necklace."

She gently reached out towards the gem, hoping to at least feel the material to... verify its authenticity.

She was nearly enthralled by Ophelia explaining how she did things, until she mentioned the gem around her neck. She flinched away, grabbing the gem to hide it from sight. "No, I can't sell this. It is very important. I have to keep it with me at all times..." She nearly went into explaining the whole ordeal, but she held her tongue. She knew better than to go speaking of her situation to some stranger.

But what she said was true. She would fight tooth and nail to protect this gem. "It belonged to Fallon and his grandfather, so I couldn't dare part with it. Not until I see him again, at least."

The girl pulling away was expected. Anyone would've done the same if a stranger tried to handle someone's jewelery, still, she was upset that the girl wasn't THAT naive. It would've made things a lot easier. It wasn't too much of a bother. It would be nice to have company carry her personal belongings and one can never go wrong with having someone to talk to those cold, lonely nights out in the wilderness. "Alright, that's perfectly fine," she said raising her hands defensively. "We'll find this Fallon boy you're looking for. Let's just hope he's worth all this effort, alright? Now wait right here."

Ophelia stood and walked back around to the front of the Tavern to her horse and returned with a rolled sleeping bag. "I only have one," she said, unrolling it and laying it next to the wall, "Never expected to have company that required a bed of their own so..." She shrugged and loosened her tunic, sighing before kicking off her shoes and crawling into the bedroll.

"Ah, that's alright. If I decide to sleep, I can use my furs," Kitsu said, cheerfully. She sat on the edge of the crate and watched Ophelia get situated. She supposed she could try sleeping at night, if it would help during the travel. So she would do her best. She was a light sleeper, so if she did manage to fall asleep, she would wake as soon as Ophelia stirred.

She still held tight to her gem, almost afraid she would lose it if she let it go. She would probably be like that for most of the night.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Thief and the Fox (1x1 Closed RP)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus