Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Have you ever RP'd with yourself?

I never did
ThatAndalite Topic Starter

Hm-hmm, keep the responses coming~
I am rn actually. XD

Ooh. Purdy, purdy!~
SummerNights wrote:
I believe that is writing.... If you are roleplaying with yourself, I would considering it writing a story, like an Author would. That's just the way that I see it.

If you mean that you do so with other people also part of the roleplay (as if they aren't even there.) It takes more than one roleplaying with yourself. It takes more than one to roleplay. Playing more than one character doesn't really count, unless you are doing so with another person/people.

Here's an example:
Jake is talking to Jill, and your character is dancing. Your character doesn't do anything with Jake and Jill, just continues to do their own thing.

^I would consider this one roleplaying by yourself.

If YOU are playing Jake, Jill, and Bob, all at the same time, there is no one else in the roleplay that you are playing, only you. Jake and Jill are talking, while Bob is dancing.

^I would consider that writing a story. If you do not know what writing a story is, then I am a bit worried O.O

I actually try to think up stories in my head sometimes. Whenever I do, it never comes out the way I want it to. I think it is because I think too much, or because I just get distracted easily.

@ThatAndalite: I have roleplayed with myself using an alt here with other people seeing it.
There's actually a couple of characters I have that I like to imagine interacting together. Actually, I do this so much I've decided to start writing it down (though whole story with all its twists and turns is still mostly just in my head)
Gnaea (played by Yuka)

I have only when there are multiple characters tied into a singe plotline. Otherwise, I prefer to avoid it save for passing mentions or references in conversation.
I have certainly done this and quite a few times, actually. It was to progress storylines or move the plot along because I'll be a part of a group playing as more than one character and eventually those two or so characters are going to collide. In some situations, it's just unavoidable, but I think it's fun because interacting with your own character means you'll know how they'll respond. It's generally a very smooth process.
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but wouldn't RPing with yourself just be called 'writing a story'? Like...I describe RPing as 'writing a story with someone else', so wouldn't RPing with yourself just be writing a story?
Uh... no. I've written stories and the like and I've brought NPCs into my posts which my characters interact with, but... no.
o_o

I have seen people rp where they don't engage with the other person pretty much at all and it seems like they might as well be rping with themselves.
I have rp'd with myself before to start a giant rp XD I already talk to myself so why not rp with myself?

Woo, responses!
Teacup wrote:
Uh... no. I've written stories and the like and I've brought NPCs into my posts which my characters interact with, but... no.
o_o

I have seen people rp where they don't engage with the other person pretty much at all and it seems like they might as well be rping with themselves.

^ This post by Tea, sums up my response completely.

I always mention NPC's, other player's characters that my character has a standing relationship with (romantic or platonic or my other characters -- but never do I fully role-play with myself. I find that to be somewhat awkward and isn't really role-playing which is supposed to be interactive. In my view, role playing with one's self is more like writing a fan fiction or a novel.

However there are people that I have role-played with that don't really....interact or acknowledge posts that others made, and it just seems like they are just picking and choosing what they feel like is beneficial to themselves rather than providing an interactive role-play that causes characters to develop and evolve further. And at that point it basically is like they or you are role-playing by yourself which isn't really satisfactory at all.
Im a writer and i have been working on my book with new characters, but i wouldn't consider it rping with myself. It would get confusing really. I may try sometime though.
At times when I'm on long walks I plan stuff out

Aaaaand sometimes I start making up a story and such
And also, on car rides, I like to imagine a dog or such to be running next to the car. Mind practice
Ilmarinen Moderator

I have RPed with myself when I have an audience :)
I second the audience thing!

Or, alternately, when I'm setting something up with one character, I'd sometimes bring in another, as a prologue or something similar.
Kim Site Admin

Off the top of my head, this has come in handy during RP events.

For example, one of my noble characters was holding a big birthday bash. There were 7 - 10 other characters in attendance (played by other people!). Since it was a planned event, I had a mini plot-arc prepared for everyone to participate in, so at a few appropriate times I would bring in NPCs and do two or three back and forth posts between my noble and the NPC staff person, in ear shot of the other players, so that they could glean clues about what was going on in the household and start to solve the mystery.
Sanne Moderator

Heimdall wrote:
I have RPed with myself when I have an audience :)

I personally believe this is the deciding factor between roleplaying and writing a story by yourself. I think at some point most of us have coordinated multiple characters to further a story we were playing with others, or even to encourage participation from others.

But when an author writes a story between two fictional characters they created, by themselves, away from others, I can't count that as roleplaying regardless of the the format that is maintained. Roleplaying to me is about participating in the act of pretend-play with others, whether that is with 1 character of mine or multiple.

So yes, I have roleplayed with myself if you count juggling multiple characters that interact with one another in the same setting and time. I have also written numerous pieces of fiction with one or more characters I created, but that I would never call roleplaying.
Yes! My friends tease me, when I tell them of a certain character. Since their only concern is their over-arching goal, they tend to be a background character. The forums are an excellent place for this type of roleplaying, as others are always able to become the audience be reading what that character may be doing.

A character never -has- to interact with another character. Most people will pass by each other without saying anything, let alone stand around for hours talking. A background character is free to offer a very sharp/mean retort to a character, keep walking, and enter a new scene where they are the only character present. I believe it is very interesting to see what a character does when they are alone, what their home environment is, how many visitors do not visit.

Sometimes, a character is more truthful to themselves when they are alone, and it helps the character develop. To know what a character does when no one else is around is something worth knowing and showing others.

And! One more thing! When each of the other characters is in different locations, say, one character is in a tavern, the other is in a barn on the farthest section of the town, and another is in the sewers. One player decides that they do not want to play by themselves, while the others are laying their guidelines down (where they sleep, what their home is like). That character has to travel quite a bit to play with each and the rhythm of movements is quite fast for their character. They appear and vanish into and out of scenes to play with all of the other characters. This is very unrealistic, if they are not sprinting madly between locations, even with the leeway of passed time, and it is -very- noticeable. Which is not bad, of course, just noticeable.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Have you ever RP'd with yourself?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus