Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » A Hero Stands... Stumbles (open)

The Red Fool (played by TheLily) Topic Starter

She shook her head, "Nah, it's fine, thanks. It doesn't really hurt now, more of an annoyance really. Quite frankly, I'm used to it." She smiles at him, "So, do y'all live here?"
Roosevelt shrugged. "I guess you could say that. I mean, we don't actually live here, but we're close enough that it makes a good--" he paused and glanced at AJ suspiciously. "What other information do you want? Our names? Addresses? Social security numbers? Maybe cell phone numbers? Sorry about the latter, we don't carry them. Usually."

He crossed his arms and flopped down in a chair. "So, what's your beef with the government? And don't say you don't have one because there's obviously a reason behind you dressing up and playing 'the cop'."

AJ scowled at Roosevelt, "I was tryin' to make conversation, you butt." Crossing her arms and bit her lips, leaving only a thin line while she thought, "Well, there are things that just get forgotten. Women are raped and no one cares. People are mugged. Homeless people beaten. Drunks graffiti walls. I guess I just want to make a difference in the things that no one else cares about."

"The little things." She paused for a long time, staring off into space. It wasn't so much a pause as she just stopped, getting lost in her own thoughts.
A wry grin crossed Roosevelt's face at her mention of 'the little things'. "So you chose us? Knowing full well that we control practically the city's overlooked and forgotten citizens? Man, I wish I had your courage." A pause. "Then again, if I did, I might not be around still."

She kept scowling, "I didn't exactly choose you intentionally. Someone was around when I was running around... and the Cody found me and then I got away and then I had an accident and he brought me to you and then you were a smart cookie and figured out who I was. Long story short, I like the word 'and'." She looked at her feet, "If Cody wasn't so mean to me, I might have gotten home, but instead I'm stuck here."
Roosevelt sighed. "Yeah, we've been, er, recruiting and some of them have no talent for keeping a low profile. Good news though," Roosevelt glanced over at the doorway where Cody suddenly reappeared and flashed a thumbs up. "You're probably free to go. Want me to drop you off anywhere?"

"Take me to a walk-in, please." She frowned, "And I guess you'll tell me general idea of where I might be able to," She was jumping down to stand, going onto her good leg when she heard the crack. She didn't feel pain as she landed on the floor in front of Roosevelt. She caught herself on her arm and the tears were instant.

Her left ankle was at an odd angle and she looked like she was going into shock.
Roosevelt needed only a glance to know that it was broken. And he felt a chill crawl up his spine. "Cody, help me carry her to the jeep. She just broke her ankle."

"What were you doing? How did she break her ankle? It was in one piece earlier." Cody demanded.

"I don't know--she slipped or something. Hey, Annabella, you awake?" Roosevelt asked her as between the two of them they propped her up. "We're gonna take you to the hospital." They headed for the Jeep as quickly as they could without unnecessary jarring.

She didn't say much, only, "Call me AJ." She mumbled to herself the tears stopping. As they made it to the jeep, she winced, her senses coming back for a while, "If I die, can you call my mom and call her a number of nasty names?" She sniffled, "Also make sure they bury me in my blue plaid dress. Very important, blue plaid dress. Got that? It makes my but look good. Blue plaid. Blue plaid."
Roosevelt nodded. "Blue plaid, call mom, nasty names. You're not gonna die, AJ. If I can survive getting shot and tortured, you can survive a broken ankle. It'll heal in no time."

They got her in the car, and Roosevelt jumped into the driver's seat--flooring it to the nearest hospital. Forget walk-in clinics, this was an emergency. Cody would stay behind and take care of wrapping things up on his end. Like moving the Resistance group to another location. Again.

"If I can't control the flow of luck, I might crash the car." She mumbled to herself, her head clearing as she concentrated on little things. The door handle. That was something that wasn't likely to hurt her. Unless the door flew open. Okay, the cell phone!

Her mind when to Cody's cellphone, trying to keep it in mind as her mind wandered.
As Cody didn't have a cellphone, the luck reversed itself...a cell phone was ringing somewhere in the jeep coming from either the driver or AJ.

Roosevelt scowled. "Who could possibly be calling at a time like this? Don't they know we have a medical emergency here?"

He glanced around for his phone--which, in all honesty, was probably under the seat somewhere

Knitting her brow, AJ searched her bag, pulling out the phone, looking at it curiously, "Weren't you broken?" She said and looked at the caller display, but it wasn't a call. It was a text message.

When she opened it the screen went black and she pursed her lips, "A trick I see!"
Roosevelt glanced at her. "A trick? On your cell phone?"

He slowed down and finally came to a halt. They had pulled up alongside a long blue and white building. "Uh, we're at the hospital. Want me to find you a wheelchair or a gurney?"

"Just a wheel chair. If Amanda is working, can you see if she'll come tend to me if she's not busy? She's the best nurse. Are either of you staying with me? Y'all don't have to. I totally understand if you don't." She glanced up at Roosevelt. He wasn't exactly the kind of man her parents would want her hanging out with, but he was a pretty awesome guy.
Roosevelt nodded and stepped out of the car. "I'll see if there's an "Amanda" working."

He paused at her question though. Part of him wanted to see that AJ got everything settled, that her ankle would be set and everything would be fine. But the self preservation part of him demanded he leave now. He could be persuaded either way.

"Um...I don't have to leave right away. Would you prefer I, uh, stick around for a bit?"

AJ frowned and shook her head, "Nah, I'm sure you have more important things to do, but my number is 555-8823. I'm sure it isn't allowed, but you can give me a call sometime if you stop trying to overthrow the government." She smiled at him, though she looked like she might be ill soon.
Roosevelt actually glanced at his watch. "Well, not really. I can stick around for about an hour." That was when the real fireworks would begin.

He raised an eyebrow when she rattled off her digits. "You're sure you want to give me your cell number?"
But he smiled and committed them to memory. "Maybe sometime not too long from now," he agreed. "Now let's get you a wheelchair before you pass out or throw up."

He ran into the hospital and returned a few minutes later with an "Amanda" wheeling out a wheelchair.

[and I just got an idea for a follow up RP with Roosevelt and AJ...should I just create an account for him?]

A smile passed over her face and she moved herself into the chair. She started to chatter with Amanda, keeping herself from hurting too bad. She kept her hand near Roosevelt's while they walked to the waiting room. She wasn't an urgent case and she was used to the waits. A single T-3 to tide her over and she'd be fine.
Roosevelt kept pace with them; listening in on their chatter but not saying much himself. He was more concerned about AJ seeing a doctor than anything else. Like the fact that in the next forty-five minutes there might be a rush on doctors...

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » A Hero Stands... Stumbles (open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus