Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » A Hero Stands... Stumbles (open)

The Red Fool (played by TheLily) Topic Starter

It wasn't too long before a doctor saw to her. She smiled up at him, "I'm gunna have my ankle x-rayed, but I think I won't be done until you're gone." Her face flushed, suddenly remembering what was about to happen. As he face paled she looked him in the eye, her brows knitting, "That's why you're antsy about me seeing someone!"
Confusion crossed Roosevelt's face. "What? No! I was worried about your leg. Besides, you were free to go earlier when Cody gave you the a-okay. You can tell anyone, you'd like. I'm out of here. Good luck with the leg."

He flashed a smile and headed for the doorway.

Panic set in and she tried to tell anyone who would listen, but she just got loud and annoying. She sounded crazy, and even eventually she gave her a small injection to calm her. By the time she had her X-ray it was too late. She just took it and waited, wondering if maybe X-rays might help mutate her more and take away her luck powers.

Wouldn't that be awesome?
Roosevelt had not gone far; he just didn't want to be easily pointed out in the grand scheme of things. But he glanced at his watch and knew that things would be starting soon.

If no one in the hospital took it serious, there would be more casualties than either he or Cody had planned for. And that was not what they were about. Roosevelt sighed. If he had to take one for the team, he would.

He returned to AJ's room and found a few nurses. "I know you think she's just causing a scene," Roosevelt said in his most respectable voice, "but she is telling the truth. I've noticed some suspicious characters outside the building two blocks west. I think they're planning to bomb it."

One of the nurses, who's name tag declares her Lia, takes him out of the room. She has pretty brown hair that is gathered behind her head in a pony tail and sharp green eyes, "Which street did you see these guys? Do they have anything to do with Miss Todd's accidents?" She waited for an answer, her hand on a phone. She seemed calm, unsuspecting. She didn't think he had anything to do with it, that much was clear. She was only looking for answers so she could call it in.
Roosevelt shrugged. "I think it was Third Street? Where the major government building is? They just looked shady is all. And I don't think they had anything to do with AJ's injuries..." Well, not directly. After all, she hadn't been shot, which very well could have happened given Cody's explosive nature.

"But I get the feeling something big might be going down," he added, and glanced at his watch. Thirty minutes--plenty of time for the bomb squads to arrive and clear the streets. Ample time, really.

The nurse dialed a number and began to speak. Half professional jargon, the other half just info. She was calm, collected and very professional. She kept glancing at Roosevelt, assessing him.

She put down the phone and dialed another number, calling the head RN to say that there might be an influx soon, hopefully not though.

When she was finished on the phone, "Want some coffee? If you're waiting for your girlfriend you might as well have something warm to drink."
Roosevelt smiled and shook his head. "We're not in that kind of relationship. But thank you. I should get going anyway."

He headed for his Jeep, hesitated, and then turned back to the RN. "Um, if for some reason AJ needs to get a hold of me, here's my number. Can you give this to her?"

He scribbled down his number on a card and handed it to the nurse. He didn't know what possessed him, but he felt it was the right thing to do. And even if someone tried to track his phone, he could ditch it for another pay-as-you-go cell.

AJ was sent home, and was woefully tired. She couldn't even wait up for the news as the cab dropped her off at home. So tired she hadn't even seen that she was missing her bag.

The ripped bag was settled in Roosevelt's car, the ripped bottom facing up, her costume there, needing some minor repairs, but fine beyond that.
Roosevelt hadn't even noticed the bag until he was halfway back to base. And then he remembered two things at once. The first was that he shouldn't be heading to base; the second that the excitement should be happening about now.

And then there was the bag. And then his cellphone went off. "Oh come on!" he griped as he flipped it open, listened for two seconds, and then replied: "On my way, man." He flipped it closed and then pulled a hard u-turn and headed back to the hospital.

Apparently not everyone had been able to flee the sudden infiltration of cops. Someone--the receptionist, he suspected--hadn't wasted any time. And now he was needed to bail them out. Well, fine, he could do that.

He mashed down the pedal as he pulled into the streets that were crowded with bystanders and cops. He barrelled down backroads until he found where the call had come from--and then three guys leaped into his jeep yelling for him to gun it just as a siren whooped behind him.

"You guys owe me a new jeep if this one gets totaled again!" Roosevelt yelled as he tried to outrace the cruiser behind him.

AJ hobbled her way to the elevator of her building, pressing the button, "Please. Please?" She begged and heard the ancient thing start to move from another floor. A sigh of relief rushed out from between her lips until she saw that it stopped a full two feet over the bottom of the floor.

Frustrated, she turned and started towards her favorite coffee shop. Drowsy with pain medication, she felt - no, she knew she needed a coffee to make this all better.
They careened around a corner; the only reason they didn't hit anyone was because of the blaring siren behind them. Roosevelt was pure concentration at this point, but he knew if they didn't put some distance between them, they'd more than likely be caught.

"Oy, what's this here?" One of the guys had found the bag on the floor of the jeep. "Is this yours?"

"No, it is not mine; a friend apparently left it. Don't open it here! I mean now!" Too late, the mask was revealed.

And Roosevelt stomped on the brakes--sending everyone lurching forward hard as he twisted the wheel and prayed the cruiser behind them wouldn't run into them.

The cop was fast on his feet and managed to swerve and in the same moment begin to slow down. His heart was racing though as he came to a park just up the block. He leaned forward and took a moment to collect himself as he called in back-up. He had a bad feeling about this, and wanted to wait in the car.

His partner got out, standing at about 5'8" he didn't look like much, a little on the thin side. He started towards the car, hand on his hip.
Crud. Roosevelt's thoughts raced as he saw the cop approaching; he had the shotgun in the backseat, but that would only cause more trouble than it would solve. But he didn't want to go to jail either.

The three others in his car were stirring as they recovered from his sudden stop. They swore when they saw the cops and bailed out to run.

"Hey! You're not going to get far!" Roosevelt yelled after them; and his heart sank. What was the saying? Nice guys finished last? He hated being the nice guy. He kept his hands on the steering wheel, wondering if he shouldn't make a break for it before backup arrived...at least the three of his passengers would be a distraction.

At the last minute he bailed, grabbing the bag with AJ's costume and throwing himself clear of the vehicle and sprinting down the street. Maybe he could evade the cops just long enough to find help.

Luck was not on his side today. Maybe it had rubbed off on her costume. The cop took off after him. He ran effortlessly - he wasn't strong, but he was fast. His long legs took wide strides and was quickly catching up to him.

As the cop drew stride with him, he dove on Roosevelt, attempting to pin him.
Roosevelt cursed as he leaped out of the way too late and felt the officer crash into him. He tightened his grip on the bag, however, even as they tumbled to the ground.

For a moment he struggled, before going limp. There was no point in resisting arrest except to draw more charges and he had bailed out Cody Wesson enough times to know that the more charges, the higher the bail.

He sighed. "Alright, you got me, but I demand my phone call when we get back to the station. And can I keep the bag? There's nothing dangerous in it, I promise."

That, of course, pique his interest. As he read Roosevelt his Miranda, cuffing him, he took the bag, looking in it for a moment, "Uh - " he interrupted himself, looking at the tiny costume, "Aren't you a bit big for this, or is this some sort of kinky play for your girlfriend?" He hadn't noticed the mask, which was a bit of a blessing and he was thoroughly confused by what he found in the bag.
Well, as fleeting as the idea was to try and ditch the cop in order to put on the costume and run away...Roosevelt didn't particularly want to do it. Nor had he attempted, really, to get away.

He made a face and, if it could be seen against his dark skin, flushed a faint red. "It's nothing of the sort!-" he began hotly, and then cut himself off. "I know the owner and she left it in my car--I wanted to give it back."

He fidgeted with the cuffs; the heavy, cold metal was unsettling. He was planning on using his one phone call to return the costume--and hopefully get out as well. At least, he hoped it would work that way. If not, he'd have to give Wesson a call and that wouldn't end well; for anybody.

THe officer nodded slowly and slung the bag over his shoulder. He helped Roosevelt up, "Well, come on then. We can make sure the bag goes to the right person." He felt better with the big man in handcuffs, "So, what's your name?" He was just being friendly - he knew not to ask too many questions, since he knew that he could get in trouble for talking to him without an attorney present.
Roosevelt hesitated as he was led to the cruiser. He knew Cody had no qualms about giving out his name, but Roosevelt preferred to remain anonymous. Still, he didn't want to lie either. It was a police officer. And one look at his driver's license in his back pocket would be too easy to check.

"Roosevelt," he muttered. "Like the president. So, how long have you been a cop for?"

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » A Hero Stands... Stumbles (open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus