Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Eris RP discussion

Sp8ders Topic Starter

Someone should check on Ira since she magically vanished into a ditch.
"A Neumann-type(present day computer) is the arithmetics of just 0s and 1s…… In other words, operated by binary digits. The information represented by one set of 0s and 1s is 1 bit. If it becomes eight sets, then it’s 8 bits. The cutting edge 128-bit CPU can process one hundred and twenty eight sets of 0s and 1s at the same time.

There are only two ways that you can express 0s and 1s with 1 bit. If it’s 2 bits, there are four ways: 00, 01, 10, 11; if we convert that to the decimal system, it would be 0, 1, 2 and 3. Well, for example, if we take an old 32 bit OS, then its memory could only use 4 gigabytes at max, but if it was a 64 bit OS, in theory, it could use 16 exabytes, or 17,2 hundred million gigabytes.

If you use a computer, it would take like a moment with current calculations, right? It could just divide 7663 by prime numbers in turn and provide an answer if it goes all the way to 79. With this amount of numbers, it wouldn’t even take a tenth of a second. However, prime numbers go on infinitely. As the numeral digits become bigger, the time it takes for decomposition increases exponentially. Prime factor decomposition is utilised for the RSA cryptosystem that even assists us on the net, but, if you decide to decompose the currently used 2048 bit―…… in other words, a six hundred and seventeen digit ― key into prime numbers using a Neumann-type computer, it is possible that it could even take ten years or more, even with the fastest-grade computer in the world.

So, well, there are things that even current computers are bad at. ――But, if a quantum computer is used, it could finish the prime factor decomposition of even large numbers in the blink of an eye…… probably. This equals that if it’s used around the world now, ciphers that appear to be completely safe would end up being broken quickly.

Since quanta are awfully small, a lot of strange things occur. One of them is something called a superposition state. For example, if you try to close an atom in a small box. That atom could be spinning in either a clockwise rotation, or a counter-clockwise rotation, but that’s not decided until observation. It’s not that it’s unknown, it’s undecided. It’s a state when both clockwise and counter-clockwise spins overlap.

For example, if we take that a right rotation state is 0, and a left rotation state is 1, then one atom can have the information of 1 bit but…… overlapping spins means that a state of both 0 and 1 can be created. This is called a quantum bit or qubit, but what’s important is that, in contrast to existing-type computers that can basically only calculate one number at a time, a quantum computer using quantum bits can calculate numerous numbers at the same time. Anyway, as you can see, it’s because they overlap.

We make a quantum computer by lining up two thousand and forty eight atoms that can spin either clockwise or counter-clockwise. With that, we enter a 2048 bit…… in other words, a six hundred and seventeen digit super huge number that I mentioned earlier, and then decompose it into prime factors. And then the quantum computer could perform the prime number divisions at the same time using the superposition state, completing the calculation in a mere moment, despite that it would take an existing computer tens of years."

For a cross-over light novel by the official author, this is somewhat accurate and really dumbed down.
Sp8ders Topic Starter

Dear Jesus.
Awwww the state of existing in two states until observed is so strange, yet a fact of life. Weird.

Make sure this is the first thing newblood sees so that they are thoroughly intimidated.
I...
I couldn't read through everything and resorted to skimming and.
I think I just died a little inside
*left hemishpere of brain shrivels
Lol. Intimidation through knowledge. "Knowledge is power. Use it well." "The open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbounded and unguarded"
We're just here to live out fantasies of playing a virtual mmo man. P-p-please... put the textbook down. No... NO DON'T! I DON'T WANT TO LEAAAAAARN!!!1!

*Implodes with an overflow of millions of qubit calculations*
Sp8ders wrote:
Someone should check on Ira since she magically vanished into a ditch.

Pft
#Savetheditchedb*tch2k17?
Who's turn is it owo?
robinnrose wrote:
Who's turn is it owo?

I'm not one to worry about turns during casual conversation, but I sure as hell ain't double posting. GETCH-YO-ASS OUT THAT DITCH YOU HAVE COMPANY TO GREET.

#Savetheditchedb*itch2k17
Think it might be your turn robinnrose? I can try and post afterwards- it's not like Ira has a lot of patience ^^'

#Savetheditchedb*tch2k17
You can go for it owo
Boom post

#Doomedditchb*tch2k17
I just decided to toss that last sentence in there.
Ah yes I see. Silent represents the sophisticated, mysterious but humble gentleman of Robynn's persona. And Nano is the shipper. It has all become clear.
I doubt it. None of my characters hold a part of me. Nano is the one that is either knows there is a clue or is clueless. Or think she has a clue but in fact clueless. Silent is just Silent.
This is hilarious
I'm currently looking at this through anime-appreciative eyes
Crazy fanboy, dating speculations, a girl looking around to kill the last target, and a dude in a ditch being ignored
I'm laughing
Sp8ders Topic Starter

I'd be a liar if I said I'm not interested/fond of cliches.
Where is the last person anyway?
Sp8ders wrote:
I'd be a liar if I said I'm not interested/fond of cliches.

Right?? And it's not even done in an overly-cheesy way

mcdonalds-im-lovin-it.jpg

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Eris RP discussion

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus