Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Kritarchy of Dei Iuris Discussion. (Closed)

Went ahead and posted. :>

Oh Ramez...
Loren Topic Starter

I posted. Not my best work but oh well.
TheTwilightWarrior

Wait... I thought we were taking turns?
Loren Topic Starter

We are! I was not sure if I was going to be able to post today, though, so I switched with Kidd for this round of posts.
TheTwilightWarrior

Um... I meant in terms of 'post order' so depending on who posted first, the next person in line of the post order posts next. That's usually the way I see 'taking turns'. But the thing is, Kidd posted straight after KhaeosMage as opposed to posting after you (which originally was the case). Does that kinda make sense?
Loren Topic Starter

I know what you mean. She had her post ready, though, so I let her have at it, especially considering that her and Khaeos' characters are interacting in a different location from the rest of the gang anyway.

The turn order is generally followed (for example, now it should be Gamers), but it's flexible and temporary changes are okay.
TheTwilightWarrior

Righty-o. Never really played with a flexible 'post order'. Usually I play with what I just mentioned or no post order entirely. Thanks for clearing that up doe :)
Yeaaaaaaah sleazey peddler man Ramez given young'ns the ol' Celzrite surprise! An Iurisian favorite, I can attest.

Also fine with the way we're handling turns. Gamers, shoot pm's if you need anything. If we too are to be ducking into shady back alleys, it would be the native leading the way. Good time for banter I thinks it, but I'm getting ahead.
Loren Topic Starter

I was actually a bit uncertain about how to go about with Elazan before having him exit stage left: I was considering getting him more involved in the whole mess with the sellswords but it wouldn't really make sense.

Edit: also to be fair Elazan might have run into Ilyse's dark alley. (The one she was hiding in.)
TheTwilightWarrior

Y'know, Coke... I'm kinda curious as to how 'Iurisian' is pronounced. If I'm interpreting this correctly, you think it's pronounced with the diphthong 'ai'? Cause the first time I found out that 'Iuris' starts with an 'iu' I kinda thought it was pronounced like the diphthong 'iu' (pronounced 'you' although I could provide IPA equivalents). But as far as I know, semi-vowels like 'y' don't coincide or agree with the indefinite article 'an' bust instead agree with 'a'. So, it would be, 'a Iurisian' as opposed to 'an Iurisian'. Am I getting this right, Loren?
Loren and I were discussing our posts and he gave me the a-okay to go ahead, don't worry. I've never "cut" in a RP without permission before. :>

Also, considering the Middle Eastern / North African feel of the language and setting, I'd assume it's a hard I. Like Ishmael or Imam.
TheTwilightWarrior

Kidd wrote:
Loren and I were discussing our posts and he gave me the a-okay to go ahead, don't worry. I've never "cut" in a RP without permission before. :>

Also, considering the Middle Eastern / North African feel of the language and setting, I'd assume it's a hard I. Like Ishmael or Imam.

So 'i' and 'u' are pronounced separately as a vowel hiatus?
Yis. That's only my guess. No idea what Loren has in mind lol
TheTwilightWarrior

Kidd wrote:
Yis. That's only my guess. No idea what Loren has in mind lol

Bit odd though, considering (for the most part) Semitic languages don't have written vowels since they're abjads, but instead they're inferred. So seeing that kinda vowel clusters is a bit strange to me (unless of course, Iurisian writing isn't an abjad).
In my expert native English opinion, I have not a clue. I don't even know what a dihpthong is (I'll google it shortly). But I know one thing that has kept me afloat many a standardized fifth grade grammar test; "A" before anything with an "I" sounds real weird dude.

Iuris (Yer-es?). Iurisian (Your-Asian!?)

Not a clue mah dudes. Educate me.

Edit: Oh, diphthongs. Two vowel sounds in one syllable. Aie-ye-aie. What a word.
TheTwilightWarrior

coke_monster wrote:
In my expert native English opinion, I have not a clue. I don't even know what a dihpthong is (I'll google it shortly). But I know one thing that has kept me afloat many a standardized fifth grade grammar test; "A" before anything with an "I" sounds real weird dude.

Iuris (Yer-es?). Iurisian (Your-Asian!?)

Not a clue mah dudes. Educate me.

Edit: Oh, diphthongs. Two vowel sounds in one syllable. Aie-ye-aie. What a word.

Certainly! We're not really dealing with English here, but more a transliteration of the language. Y'know how English has some really absurd spelling and syntax? Well, that's due in large part to high numbers of loan words and cognates from other languages. That's one of the reasons why English today is more a hybrid language than a Germanic one. In English (depending on your dialect) you usually pronounce a place like 'Pomerania' as 'pom-e-rain-i-a' as opposed to its more native pronunciation of 'pom-eh-run-ya'. See that 'ya' at the end is a diphthong of 'i' and 'a' forming 'ya'. If I pronounced it like 'ee-ah' it ends up becoming a combination of monopthongs without taking on a new sound (or 'phoneme') entirely. So, 'ia' as a diphthong becomes 'ya'. Does that kinda make sense?
It's not a Semitic language, though. It's fictional despite the influence, and applying our rules to a fictional language is rarely helpful. Definitely doesn't have to be an abjad. I like linguistics but I try not to think too hard about it beyond actual languages lol.
I tend to do the same and was quite ready to do so with any foreign words we were apt to make up in this fictional language (which in itself is unnamed as of yet, which is fine). Very interesting to know anyway.
TheTwilightWarrior

Kidd wrote:
It's not a Semitic language, though. It's fictional despite the influence, and applying our rules to a fictional language is rarely helpful. Definitely doesn't have to be an abjad. I like linguistics but I try not to think too hard about it beyond actual languages lol.

Why not? Plenty of people have created believable languages according to basic linguistic rules and typology and have prospered exponentially. Sindarin? Quenya? All fully fleshed out and believable languages thanks to J.R. Tolkien. Not only that, but a culture's language can say a lot about a society's customs, etiquette, etc. Dothraki doesn't have a word for 'throne' since they're nomadic and have no need to sit around and discuss court intrigue or whatever. Hell, there really isn't any foreign word for 'computer' from English outside some Romance and Germanic languages. Instead, the term 'computer' is usually a loan word for other languages, since Western society was what created the computer in the first place.

Although you may think all languages are fundamentally different from each other, as long as the speaker is human to an extent and has teeth, lips, noses, etc. and a degree of sentience there can be a lot of similarities between languages.
JohnAtArms wrote:
Although you may think all languages are fundamentally different from each other, as long as the speaker is human to an extent and has teeth, lips, noses, etc. and a degree of sentience there can be a lot of similarities between languages.
I've studied linguistics and its relation to culture, I know all that--really don't appreciate the tone just because I don't care as much as you. But none of that changes the fact that I was never talking about a written language and an abjad was irrelevant to the thought process earlier because I was clearly talking about spoken, not written, sounds. I'm sure most of our fantasy speakers are illiterate anyway.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Kritarchy of Dei Iuris Discussion. (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus