Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Kritarchy of Dei Iuris Discussion. (Closed)

Mega-illiterate--- wait. I'd normally say that for a majority of my fantasy characters, but we are in a Kritarchy. Every family would need at least one person to do the paper work that is the running theme of this joint. Perhaps the poor to middle class just hire someone else to consult with, meanwhile the poor simply have to take the Clerks words on what they are signing. Slavers might knab a few with this method.
TheTwilightWarrior

Kidd wrote:
JohnAtArms wrote:
Although you may think all languages are fundamentally different from each other, as long as the speaker is human to an extent and has teeth, lips, noses, etc. and a degree of sentience there can be a lot of similarities between languages.
I've studied linguistics and its relation to culture, I know all that--really don't appreciate the tone just because I don't care as much as you. But none of that changes the fact that I was never talking about a written language and an abjad was irrelevant to the thought process earlier because I was clearly talking about spoken, not written, sounds. I'm sure most of our fantasy speakers are illiterate anyway.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I'm really bad at not coming across as not-a-jerk, amirght?
Literacy is unlikely very common considering the vibes Loren's going for. Just my guess, though, can't say for sure. Not being able to read is no reason not to pay taxes! Makes it easier to overtax, too.

Ramez is literate, but usually a character I'd make for this sort of setting would not be lol.
Kidd wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I'm really bad at not coming across as not-a-jerk, amirght?

It's okay. You sound very passionate and knowledgeable about the stuff. I shouldn't have been so flippant. I'm sorry. :>
TheTwilightWarrior

JohnAtArms wrote:
Kidd wrote:
It's okay. You sound very passionate and knowledgeable about the stuff. I shouldn't have been so flippant. I'm sorry. :>

Nah, it's my fault XD your an anthropology student anyway, I only study linguistics rather casually, just like most of my interests. I was only trying to bring about a bit of a discussion, I didn't want it to devolve into hostility. It's kinda hard talking about these things when you have no friends, y'know? XP
You're fine! And I actually have to update my profile--I am an anthro graduate;;

Language is neat, it's all worth considering, nodnod
TheTwilightWarrior

Kidd wrote:
You're fine! And I actually have to update my profile--I am an anthro graduate;;

Language is neat, it's all worth considering, nodnod

Congrats, man.

And definitely; I don't really expect Loren to have created a fully fleshed out Conlang for Dei Iuris. I just wondered how he'd pronounce the damn name XD Well, only he can answer that question.
... I
I forgot there was a post order
And I didn't read this until I already posted
IM SORRYYY
It's okay, hahaha. Personally I'm happy cause I wanted to see his reaction. We are isolated from the others, too, so it shouldn't interupt anything. Ill just be careful not to post again until everyone else has.

Also! Do you mean to post as the custodian instead of Umran?
Okay, so

My Underclass Custodian is ENTIRELY different, concept and universe wise, from Loren's custodians. This is actually a homestuck carapacian character I created for my session. Seeing as it was Loren's concept of a Custodian that got me interested in the RP, I thought it'd be cool if I fleshed out my character by doing it OUTSIDE of the homestuck setting, and as a human as to fit with the story. Does this make sense?

Also all of the info on the Kritarchy version of the Underclass Custodian is on a separate page on the profile, since 1) I had no more character spaces and 2) it was the same character anyway, just in another story universe. Makes sense?
Ohh okay. Neat!! I was just confused aha

I have multiple versions of almost all my characters so I gotcha
Loren Topic Starter

peers at thread, sees pages worth of discussion about conlangs
oh god

Okay okay so putting aside the fact that the name "Dei Iuris" is a latin pun for a moment and that I didn't really put as much thought into this as you guys give me credit for, it is "a Iurisian" not "an Iurisian" mostly because it's read, as John hypothesised, like the diphthong 'iu'. (And the writing system is an abjad, although really like Kidd said applying our rules to a fictional language is not exactly going to be helpful.)

Also, Tolkien was a master at conlanging and pratically created Arda for a place to insert them, and even then Quenya and Sindarin are not believeable nor fully fleshed out at all. The vocabulary, the grammar, and the syntax are all far too incomplete for someone to go around using them for utilitarian purposes, and it was his lifelong hobby. They were just done for Tolkien's enjoyment and obeyed his own, flunctuating rules. (I may just be getting carried away but the point is I'm not Tolkien and didn't even give this much thought so it's probably not a good idea to pay too much attention to the writing system. :P)

Then again, there's Esperanto, but it was made with a specific purpose in mind. (Also I might have made some puns with that as well.)
coke_monster wrote:
Mega-illiterate--- wait. I'd normally say that for a majority of my fantasy characters, but we are in a Kritarchy. Every family would need at least one person to do the paper work that is the running theme of this joint. Perhaps the poor to middle class just hire someone else to consult with, meanwhile the poor simply have to take the Clerks words on what they are signing. Slavers might knab a few with this method.

People are more slightly literate than one would expect due to the government type and the massive bureaucracy, but there's still a massive amount of people who don't know how to read, especially the poor . People either hire a consultant -if they have the money (they usually don't)- learn to read themselves, or put their blind faith in the Sand Clerks and whoever they're making deals with. The third case is by far and away the most common.
I think now is a good time for Ilyse to use her blinding light ability to give our characters a head start. I'm going out for an early dinner but should be able to post when I return.
TheTwilightWarrior

Loren wrote:
peers at thread, sees pages worth of discussion about conlangs
oh god

Okay okay so putting aside the fact that the name "Dei Iuris" is a latin pun for a moment and that I didn't really put as much thought into this as you guys give me credit for, it is "a Iurisian" not "an Iurisian" mostly because it's read, as John hypothesised, like the diphthong 'iu'. (And the writing system is an abjad, although really like Kidd said applying our rules to a fictional language is not exactly going to be helpful.)

Also, Tolkien was a master at conlanging and pratically created Arda for a place to insert them, and even then Quenya and Sindarin are not believeable nor fully fleshed out at all. The vocabulary, the grammar, and the syntax are all far too incomplete for someone to go around using them for utilitarian purposes, and it was his lifelong hobby. They were just done for Tolkien's enjoyment and obeyed his own, flunctuating rules. (I may just be getting carried away but the point is I'm not Tolkien and didn't even give this much thought so it's probably not a good idea to pay too much attention to the writing system. :P)

Then again, there's Esperanto, but it was made with a specific purpose in mind. (Also I might have made some puns with that as well.)
coke_monster wrote:

People are more slightly literate than one would expect due to the government type and the massive bureaucracy, but there's still a massive amount of people who don't know how to read, especially the poor . People either hire a consultant -if they have the money (they usually don't)- learn to read themselves, or put their blind faith in the Sand Clerks and whoever they're making deals with. The third case is by far and away the most common.

Yeah, I may have over exaggerated with Sindarin and Quenya being 'fully fleshed out'. But the only reason we couldn't apply it utilitarianly in everyday life is because Tolkien made them for his setting and to not be an aux lang like Esperanto or Interlingua. Both Sindarin and Quenya thrive in Tolkien's setting because that's what they were designed for. We could actually apply a bit of both into everyday living based on the lexicon fans have created, but 'pure' Elvish wouldn't be applicable in today's life due to the lack of vocabulary for modern day objects, such as computers, buses, newspapers, etc. And that's the thing, language is dependent and relevant in accordance to its culture, so it makes sense that Elvish doesn't have words for what I just mentioned because the setting and culture don't have them. But as I've mentioned before, fans have created plenty of new words for Elvish to make it somewhat applicable to everyday living. But as it stands, its meant to be an art lang and not something he was hoping people would speak in real life.
Good posts, people. :> I'm enjoying reading what everyone's writing.
Same. I can't quite get my writing to inform who my character is as most of you guys do very naturally, but hopefully you don't mind the difference in writing styles.

Anyone want to discuss what vaguely Egyptian/Arabic/ Hebrew gibberish Iurisian's might have for very specific circumstances? My first thoughts are to have a word for completely undocumented persons somehow making their way in the realm. A sort of insult that carries a bit of pity with it. Like, "Oh, you poor thing. The Justiciars are going to find you eventually."

#JustKritarchyThings
Definitely some great posts. I'm just trynna keep up!

Where exactly is the paper mill? In order for all characters to meet up we all need to be winding up at the market.
Gamers wrote:
Definitely some great posts. I'm just trynna keep up!

Where exactly is the paper mill? In order for all characters to meet up we all need to be winding up at the market.

After some quick wikipedia-ing I believe paper mills are actually designated out of towns as they are rather large (as depicted in a western kingdom so I'm unsure). I put "papermaker" to say that our first spot (which will probably be cut off and abandoned in lieu of heading toward the market) is the home of someone who may work in such a mill. I couldn't find a name for a "Papersmith" like Crocker is to pottery.
Ah, misread. Sounds like a plan, I'll have Ilyse routed from there to the market next post the !
Loren Topic Starter

Alright, so I've been a bit busy today but I started the post - I'll finish it tomorrow.

Edit: coke_monster: How about:
"Ah, you foolish mongrel. I can see the vultures circling above you as we speak."
"Brace yourself, foreigner. You'll make a lovely corpse for the scarabs to devour."

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Kritarchy of Dei Iuris Discussion. (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus