Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Across the Sea [closed]

Ryiah Sendara Bet'Lu (played by BreezyDawn) Topic Starter

Ryiah sighed, feeling bad, yet annoyed with the pirate. With a soft curse she hauled herself back up onto the rail after returning the brush back to the tarpot. "Good for nothing..." she muttered under breath. With a glance back down, she poured a small bit of cool water on top of the pirate to quench the pain on the burning tar, finding some satisfaction in getting him wet in the process. Then she left him to finish his task all by his grumpy self, still muttering to herself.

Surely there was better company to be had somewhere. With a flick of her gaze around the ship she headed toward the rigging which led to the crow's nest, beginning her climb swiftly, easily navigating the ropes as she got higher and higher. Finally she swung her feet up and over into the small compartment. If there was anyone already occupying the space, she offered a glare which would most likely send them scurrying to the opposite side, or fleeing back down the rigging.

Finally she settled herself with a clear view of the Island as it drew ever nearer, hands on the ledge. She reached up to release her hair from the bandanna, letting the wind sweep it back over her shoulders. The breeze caught, pulled, and played with the fabric of her blouse, cooling her and helping alleviate her annoyance.

Here she stayed for quite sometime, possibly missing lunch, as she watched the island grow larger on the horizon, it's craggy cliffs becoming more evident the closer they got. As she studied it, she mentally began preparing herself for the climb which was necessary to reach the top.

As she gazed ahead, she noticed the dark stormclouds brewing, hanging ominously around the island itself, as if to create a barrier for its treasure.
They aren't called storm seeds for nothing, she mused thoughtfully. Hopefully repairs would be finished before they hit the fowl weather. She wasn't worried the ship could handle itself in a storm, it had weathered many fierce ones in its day.
"Yeah... Thanks... captain... much... appreciated" shouted back Calico with a slight hint of sarcasm though feeling relieved at the fresh water that soothed the burnt and blistered leg yet annoyed at the unexpected soaking that now made his chest get shown more visibly than he would have liked alongside making him looked like he just suffered incontinence too

Prodius glanced at Calico head to toes and back up, as the man returned on deck having finished soon after, a light chuckle and his eyebrow raised tauntingly as if Calico had indeed wet himself

"We do allow crew to have... personal... breaks" assured Dom teasingly. "Ermm it's not what it seems..." Calico corrected immediately in a huff, wincing at the overall amusement his unfortunate wet patch was causing upon the crew.

Morgan examined the drawings from Rufus in detail, working from them, scaling and replicating them as he worked on carving the hand railings before moving onto the more difficult and detailed final masterpiece, the dragon head, by which time Calico joined in the task, each taking looks at the parchment doing their earnest to avoid and ignore each other as they worked away, focusing on a different detailed area, Calico working from the back and Morgan from the front, both clearly skilled and rivalling each other.

"Best hurry before the rain is upon us..." muttered Morgan watching Rufus bring out the final drawing, turning his wrists, to make his hand less sore from the rushed tense delicate task.

"Here, start varnishing the railing with resin" muttered Calico giving a brush and bucket to the new arrival since she was the one who had pressed for the ship to be repaired so quickly.

Nephaeth took the proffered brush and bucket silently, her gaze only brushing the pirate before going back to the sea and the looming island. It seemed that as she looked at the place, a shivver ran through her body, yet she said nothing. As she worked, somehow knowing how to do the said repairs, she seemed uneasy and disquieted. Perhaps it was only the upcoming storm, or perhaps her glance toward the island spoke more than words.

Finally, the late afternoon upon them, Nephaeth set down her brush, the task apparently completed and began pacing a bit, eyes glittering as she continued to glance toward the island. Why were these... fragile humans... traveling there?

Suddenly she rounded and went in search of the warlock who had trapped her in this form, intuitively knowing his location. Once she had found him she moved directly to stand before him. "A warning." Was it just a trick of the ear that her voice sounded a bit like a hiss? "Allow this ship to go no further on its current path... dock not at that place. Only evil awaits you there." She shivered again, agitated. "Repairs are very near completion... release me as per your earlier words." Did her eyes seem to plead now? Perhaps, or yet perhaps it was merely the call of the sea which she so desired.
"Sure... Thank you for your hard work, maiden of the sea... If you wish to eat with us, dinner is served, else you are free to return to the sea depths you came out of, just jump overboard, dive in and be at peace, my friend. " nodded Taff in a low mutter extending a heaped plate of food, letting her choose to eat or not, as she pleased.

He quickly finished the meal and alerted the crew that food was served. Furthermore, he took the tray bringing the captain's meticulously well laid table, as usual, over at the captain's cabin, waiting to personally serve lord Pont-de-Ter as accustomed alongside his honoured guests if Calico chose to do so

Rufus was much too hungry for the fancies and manners of the upper class, choosing to join the army slaves and pirate crew down at the kitchens and dinning benches, sitting as one among them to eat the delicious smelling food.

"Daft as it may sound Snake, my arms are dead, sore and drained already after all that tense rushed drawing, as embarrassing as this may seem..." trailed off Rufus in a light cough of discomfort ".. I am dropping the sword in surrender and accepting defeat" concluded Rufus looking at the woman hesitant

Nephaeth dipped her head to Taff, a glimmer of respect in her gaze as she did so, though the glance she threw at the food he offered was somewhat disgusted. No... the sea offered its own sustenance, and despite her current form, she thirsted for its bounty no less.

With a flash of her sharp teeth in what was meant to be a smile, though it looked more like a grimace, she had raced toward the edge of the ship and flung herself out and into a dive, cutting deep into the ever more turbulent sea.

Not long after, Ryiah could be seen moving down the rigging, slower than her ascent had been, though not for lack of skill. Her posture seemed weary and as she touched down she ran a hand along her brow, rubbing at her eyes momentarily, her lips opening in a petite yawn. She covered the yawn with a hand, her stomach growling simultaneously, and blinked. Then she suddenly let out a soft laugh. Where the humor lay in all this most likely was nearly indecipherable.

Making a pass along the prow of the ship, where a new dragon's head glistened in the evening light, she ran an appreciative hand along it, sliding it then along the repaired railing, whispering to the ship as she did so. The crew, and their leaders, had done a good job, and it seemed just in time.

Thunder boomed just ahead, where the dark cloud loomed, and rain could be seen heading their way in a near sheet. Ryiah, figuring she'd hear from the others eventually, moved to her quarters, where she settled down for the moment, her gaze flitting to the picture of her mother which hung securely on the wall. Beside it, her father's visage - from the days when he had more vigour - could be seen staring out, his eyes seemingly as deep as the galaxies themselves.
Taff came over to Ryiah's quarters knocking the door sharp and crisp, thrice as usual and waited for exactly five seconds before reporting the new

"Your highness, Calico Jack awaits you at the captain's quarters... dinner... is served" reported Taff ducking the head and keeping eyes averted as he made his way back, leaving it up to her to decide to join or not

Calico Jack had changed attire, after Taff worked on treating his wound, leaving the limping leg bandaged and with enough ointment to help heal naturally albeit slowly not one to use his powers for the sake of it, and preferring to let nature follow its course.

Taff sat down picking up a flute and playing a soft tune, calming and gentle as the captain had requested, whilst waiting for the princess to come to dine

Ryiah, caught drifting off mid blink by Taff's knock, sat up in a bit of a scramble as he delivered his news. Reminded of her hunger, it didn't tale her long to decide to join Calico Jack for dinner. She yawned again after Taff departed, then stood and wandered to the wardrobe, which was still stocked with a few of her mother's choice gowns. Knowing it proper to do so, she decided on one and began to change into it - which was a bit of a painstaking process when one did the task without aid. Granted, the dress was one more suited to travel, but there was still plenty of fabric to mess with. Around her shoulders she clasped a light cloak, for despite the usual heat of the day, the evenings could grow chilly when at sea, especially during a storm. The dress, white with blue accents, looked as if it were made to emulate the surf of the sea on a sunny day.

After she finished, she pulled the hood up to brace for rain and exited the chamber, making her way to the Captain's cabin knocking lightly before entering, knowing they were expecting her. "Sorry for the delay..." she murmered.
"Ahh no need to apologize at all, mistress... do take a seat, we have been waiting for you to share a wholesome meal, you must have quite an appetite after the hard work today. If the menu is not to your liking, I will have the servant prepare you something else right away" volunteered Calico with a small smile examining her dress with a broad grin of satisfaction

"Tired of the sailor's attire already?" quizzed Calico curious

Ryiah did indeed slide as gracefully into her seat as possible, given the growing shifting of the ship as the sea responded to the storm. At least the table and chairs had been bolted down. Those who built her knowing the fickle ways of the sea.

Once settled Ryiah first took a sip of wine which had been poured for her and sent another glance toward Taff, beginning to feel a bit uneasy around him. How much power did he have anyway?

Finally she gave the Captain's words consideration and a rueful shake of her head. "Of course not Pirate Jack. I merely felt bad that you lost a game so dear to your heart. I felt this might cheer you up, from the sour mood you had earlier today." Then, she glanced at his bandaged leg and her demeanor softened. "I am sorry, about that." She murmered, lowering her gaze to her lap for a moment, before taking another sip of wine, and eyeing the food hungrily.

"It smells wonderful Taff." She murmered, then laughed softly. "Yes I'm hungry. Very much so, almost to the point of it not being ladylike."
Calico Jack chuckled at her comment.

"Well, mistress can ill treat her slaves and crew as she sees fit, no apologies needed for that one... it will heal" assured Calico

"As for the meal, no need to be lady like at all... it is entirely your decision for a whole day and a night, don't restrain yourself on my account and do eat away to your heart's content" muttered Calico sheepishly

"I was warned not to let the ship get any closer to the island... it may be so we need a dragon to retrieve what belongs to them and is so precious to their kind" mused Taff unsettled at the serpent's insistence on diving back into sea, looking at Calico meaningfully

Ryiah's gaze hardened slightly at Calico Jack's flippent response, and she tilted her head, leaning forward a bit with a serious expression. "I am not that kind of person, nor will I ever be that kind of ruler, to so harm those who may be beneath me in rank." Her gaze softened, and she sighed, leaning back a bit. "It was ill befitting of me to allow such in my annoyance. Though you did so rudely squash my dreams of freedom." Here she gave him an attempt at a lighthearted grin, "and slave though you may currently be."

With that she tucked into the food, taking his words at face value and not perhaps eating as properly as an heiress would. Her tummy soon quieted, which gave her thoughts a chance to catch up with Taff's quiet words. She turned her gaze to him, her orange amber hues searching his face. "I know you are a warlock, Taff. No need for this charade with me any longer. Do you now speak of sending yourself, or me, alone to the Island? It is my quest, not yours to risk your neck for."
Kendra 'Snake' Hornsby (played anonymously)

Kendra shrugged, she wasn't hungry. She had other things to think about, so until it was late she would stand out on deck, staring at the stars. She would whisper their names as they appeared in the sky. And stare off at the island they were near. What really awaited on that island she didn't know, but she couldn't wait to find out.

Uncertainty was her favorite part about life, whether is was if the five would love her or hate her, or if the storm on the horizon would worsen, it was always her favorite. So she stood on deck, just looking around wondering what uncertainty would find her next on that island.
Calico smiled "You'll never make a good pirate if squashing those beneath you is out of the question, though the tar earlier has gotten you some reputation for meanness and may well play in your favour... don't ruin the work done in building up a ruthless name, it may mean a difference between life and death, besides pirates never apologize even if we do make mistakes and wrong judgements" educated Calico in a light laugh.

"Certainly no need to feel guilty about a couple of drops of tar it could happen to any untrained hands, yours are no exception" appeased Calico sensing her mild remorse and hearing her apologetic tone.

"As for slavery, I wish they were all so shortly lived... a day or even week is not too much burden, especially with your looks" grinned Calico in a cheeky smile

Taff Gelligen coughed lightly at the princess addressing him, unused to the attention.

"Your highness, regardless of my curse, being a royal manservant is indeed a great honour and serving the royalty and those of higher authority is my chosen path and chosen lifestyle, not at all a charade but my main duty" assured Taff politely showing her respect and deference

"I fear the island is inhabited by more serpents, who protect the gems now that dragons are human shaped.

They will protect the storm seed best as they can against strangers. It would take one of their kind to reach the gem without angering them.

Problem is... one of their kind would have no hands at all to grab the stone, as a dragon the hands would not be small enough or gentle enough to not break the gem either.

We will need at least two or three volunteers who go to retrieve the stone and I am not about to step on that beach, it has too many painful memories" muttered Taff

"Unless commanded, of course..." added quickly not to consider rebellion at any point.

"But I neither fight, nor kill, I cannot, thus I would make a poor choice of companion" admitted Taff humbly

"The less the crew knows the better, we don't want them thinking we're scavenging for gold and treasure, they might mutiny or simply set sail and abandon us behind. With the storm upon us, we need firm hand on deck to command the ship and keep it afloat while braving the storm and choppy sea" muttered Calico

"Well don't just stand dare looking dumb, what shall the forfeit be now that I have surrendered?" Quizzed Rufus definitely treating Snake as an equal a lot more cautious and respectful towards her

Ryiah considered Calico's words, filing them away even though they were not to her liking. Perhaps he was right. Perhaps not. In any case she was done apologizing.

As Taff spoke she nodded. "Something is most likely guarding the storm seed, though whether it is a serpent or not... I guess we shall see. I am going to be one of those that go to the Island to retrieve the seed." She wouldn't be talked out of it. "I know Kendra will come as well, she threw in her lot with me when we both came aboard."

Falling silent a moment she tried to consider who else might go, but as she really had no sway with any of them, she couldn't know such. She suddenly gave an impish grin and looked to Calico Jack. "I suppose I could order my pirate slave to come along as well."

Outside the rain finally let loose, the torrent soaking those above and in the open in a matter of minutes. The wind wipped the sails, the ship beginning to rock ever more. She took a breath. "I think the storm is, in part, caused by the energy of these seeds. Once we retrieve it perhaps the storm will abate. We should go soon, and take the smaller boat the rest of the way to the Island."
"Uhmm thanks for forcefully volunteering me mistress I certainly can't wait to get eaten by unknown beasts" muttered Calico shaking his head lightly.

"I .. have a question for you... do you know how to turn into a dragon?" Quizzed Calico.

"If this wise sod is right it may take a dragon to retrieve the stone..." paused Calico

"I'll go get the row boat whilst you figure it out" indicated Calico leaving the ship in Prodius hands as Calico volunteered Rufus and Taff.

"You're a slave and you like to serve, remember?" Grinned Calico watching Taff wince "besides I love your cooking... if we take days to find that gem on the island at least we're assured decent food other than gruel and fish soup" concluded Calico walking out to get Rufus, Kendra and the row boat

The thought of turning into a dragon somehow sent a pang of panic through Ry, yet she considered it because she knew they'd need to know their options. Before Calico Jack left she looked back at him and shook her head - I don't think it's possible. Not until the storm seeds are collected and my father's dragon form is freed."

Looking then to Taff she added I don't know how, but it seems dragonkind is locked in human form, for now. I don't know how it would be possible to get around this... but perhaps the beast guarding the seed, if thats what it is truly doing, would know of my heritage despite my dragon-less form."

She stood up, pacing slightly, her dress rustling as she moved. It was rather hard to pace when the ship rocked so briskly, but she managed, her gaze going to Taff every so often. Finally her gaze dropped to her dress. "I guess I should find something more suitable to wear into a stormy night full of danger, mayhem, and possible death." Her lips curved up as she tried to joke a bit, though it all was quite true.
"I could assist if you need to become a dragon but you must bear in mind it will be only a temporary change and it has its own dangers.

Whilst in dragon form you're a mighty beast with a mind of your own and a separate life, your dragon form will not recognize any of them, they will be strangers to you until you befriend them in your dragon shape, likewise anything you do and see and say whilst a dragon ... You're going to be none the wiser of any of that when you return to your human form.

I am the keeper thus do not fear you but you can be a dangerous creature to them till things settle and... you may not even feel up to finding the stone or giving the stone, dragons are such selfish hoarders at times..." trailed off Taff

"Also the matter of modesty, your dragon form won't fit in your attire and it will be torn to shreds when you return to your human form" warned Taff

Ryiah blinked a few times as she processed Taff's words, biting her lower lip. "Hmm... that does present a problem." She didn't like much if what he'd said, especially the part about not remembering what she did while in her dragon form. Complete father's quest she thought, her chin raising and giving a nod. "Okay." She said with a sigh.

"I'd better go, the others have probably secured the boat. Perhaps they are ready to leave.." she murmered, almost absentmindedly, her mind still on the warlocks words. Moving out as gracefully as she could, given the tossing boat, she made her way back to her quarters, her gaze going to her seafaring outfit, folded on the bed. No... she didn't want that to get ripped should her dragon form be necessary.

Instead she found another pair of leggings and a tunic deep in a drawer, which she slipped on. Tying back her wild red ringlets she tied a bandanna in a strip around her forhead to keep the hair from dripping in her eyes during the rain. Then, she slipped a ligbt cloak on over her shoulders. Strapping her sword back around her waist, she placed the lightening rod her father had given her into a satchel along with the map, and moved out into the rain.

Finding the others she stood next to the boat they would take, her gaze going to the Island barly visible through the darknes and the rain. "Ready." She whispered, nerves running hot through her. "We can do this. Its just a bit of adventure." She murmered with a glance at the others.
Calico glanced at Ryiah

"Each time less attire... perhaps I get my wish to gaze upon your flesh and womanly figure after all" teased the brigand.

The weather was so foul that her quickly drenched and dripping tunic soon showed more than modesty could allow causing Calico Jack to stare and grin broadly if cheekily, earning himself a backhand from Taff Gelligen for doing so

"The boat is ready... as is your pirate slave... and the slave of your slave" smiled Calico glaring at Taff narrowed eyed.

"You will pay for this ... commoner" spat Calico returning his gaze upon the princess along with his smirk
Kendra 'Snake' Hornsby (played anonymously)

Kendra was waiting with them at the boat, she was wearing her cost still, it helped her keep warm against the rain as she too was ready to get inside the boat. Though she didn't know much of dragons and this wizard man, and knew I'm her gut that this would be a strange night, stranger than it already had been. "Well I'm glad that everyone took their merry time." She said slyly with a chuckle.

She looked over all of them with a confident smile, though maybe this wasn't where she pictured herself with this bunch, she couldn't think of a better place to be testing her skills. as she too glanced at Ryiah, she leaned over and would whisper in her ear. "Would you like my coat, it seems he's getting quite the eye full." She said with a chuckle.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Across the Sea [closed]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus