Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » Your Character Influences?

olivermadscience

As writers, we all have stories that, to a degree, influence our writing. What characters, stories, actors, etc. helped you make characters of your own? I'll start.

Rose- Raistlin (Dragonlance), Morgana (King Arthur), Governor Mourel (Strife: Quest for the Sigil)

Rick- T-1000 (Terminator 2), Duke Nukem, Christopher Jacobs (Mercenaries: PoD)

Volker- John Rambo (First Blood), Legolas (LoTR), Jake Scully (Avatar)

An'Kesh- Inigo Montoya (Princess Bride), Sterling Archer (Archer), Oliver Twist

Your turn!
The vast majority of my characters initially started out as an anime OC at one point, this being most prevalent in Roy Severias' profile. He was an initially going to be an Inuyasha OC, but somewhere along the lines, I wanted something more unique. Eren Severa, Alain, Kyoya, and Samuel & Salina were also originally intended for the Inuyasha verse.

The Mercenaries of Macot were planned to be a group of Pokemon trainers, but I felt on expanding the world that I've been working on. Jay, Corrin, and Axl are currently the only Pokemon trainers on the profile.
Alex and Lillie are FMA OCs, while the Drunkenborn is a Skyrim OC.

Kai was at one point supposed to be a Fire Emblem OC, but I scrapped it a turned him into the unfinished bird he is now.
Siolia

Hmm...

Kiro - Legend of Zelda, Avatar, and various anime/manga

Mu - Count D (Pet Shop of Horrors) and pretty much any slice of life this shopkeep is more than they seem manga. Also dead anime moms.

Ibis - The dead person of the week on cop shows. Otherwise, those uppity, full-of-themselves anime characters that think they can do things but can't. He's a chuunibyou...
jeffrey: a character i drew based on the prompt possessed puppet

pyroa: a pun i made,a literal flaming homosexual

depth charge: i wanted to make an opposite of pyroa

matthew parker: me as a teen
Old Lexi: Started as the most Mary Sue OC. Basically, take the space themes and transformation concepts of Usagi/Serena from Sailor Moon, the multiple lookalike concept of Nurse Joy/Officer Jenny from Pokémon, and a healthy (or unhealthy) dash of Princess Peach and Princess Daisy from Super Mario Bros..

Current Lexi: Basic influences from nothing but my own imagination. She has some hints of Final Fantasy 7's Tifa and Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop, but I noticed those traits way after her revamp.

Creatia: Made because of an ex who was a fellow artist. He said I didn't have enough OCs he could feature in his comics, so I made Creatia as a possible solution to that. I also wanted a new OC I could stick into my stories as a more emotional main character.

She was heavily influenced by Vocaloid later on, as seen by a few of her outfit designs. The idea was to make Creatia an UTAU, and then create more based around a musical parody of gaming/roleplay genres; she would've been the Mage or Fantasy Genre UTAU. I scrapped that in favor of my personal project, the BURST Saga, instead.
haunt

very very first draft Elliot was inspired by the song Don't Mess With Me by Temposhark

Avery's was this one Tumblr post i saw on a writing prompt blog that was basically like "a painter that finds out their paintings correspond to missing persons reports"

Amelia's inspiration was hard to remember because i made her when i was 12, but i think it was a book i was reading at the time???

i'm not really sure what my biggest inspiration for Jasper was? probably just myself tbh, we have a lot in common lmao
Gab

Alyssa (or more specifically, her relation to her siblings): I got inspiration for her when I had gotten the random idea of having a child sold into slavery, but not even knowing that she had been. When I had conveyed the idea to my boyfriend, he suggested to have her connected to two of his characters as siblings.

Carrie: Obviously inspired by Carrie Underwood's 'Blown Away'

Edith: Inspired by my love for dragons. I thought it could be interesting to have a half-dragon who's father had left before she was even born.

Emily: I was inspired to make a character for the Full Metal Alchemist franchise

Lily: She was inspired by Phoe and her husband's personalities.

Melody: I was inspired to make her while reading a book on various gods and goddesses. I thought it could be cool to have a demigoddess of destruction who wasn't able to control her powers.

Nicole: I just had a random burst of inspiration to make a kinda unique killer character XD

Phoenixheart: She was kind of inspired by my more introverted and shy personality that I have at times.

Sienna: She was heavily inspired by comic book superheroes. I had been watching a documentary on superheroes and thought it would be cool to try and make my own.

The Explorer (Ari): The original version of her was heavily inspired by Gravity Falls. I had an obsession with the show and decided to make my own ocs for it. She's also heavily inspired by my own personality.

The Demon (Hunter): His original version was also inspired by Gravity Falls.

Now for my misc. characters!

Eden: Inspired by fairies and by an rp my boyfriend had made.

My royal characters (Octavia, Eris, Oliver, and Arthur): Inspired by Disney Princes and Princesses and my creating a new countries for mine and my boyfriend's world and needing royals for them.

Ally and Maria: Inspired by the Pokémon series.

Jacob and Camille: Inspired for my love of nekos and kitsunes and my wanting to create an interesting hybrid.

Elena: Had a random burst of inspiration to make her XD

Eve: I was inspired to try and make a fairly unique villain that hates non-humans although she's unknowingly one herself.

Phew, that was a lot to type XD
Rogue-Scribe

I'm not going to do them all right now but here is some...

Halasian, Hanasian, Durian, Khorghar, and Dunhama were all inspired by the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and in Halasian's case, influenced by Glen Cook's Black Company world. They all were created for or during Middle Earth fandom group roleplays.

Steve Harrison was inspired by some school classmates I knew in high school. Created for a one-off high school RP, he quickly had a dozen PM offers to RP. He did RP with them all. He was involved in a dacades-long saga with another writer, and is currently a disabled veteran of the Afghan war, and lives on the family estate in Northern California restoring old cars.

Yellowbeard is of course inspired by the namesake movie and he is my favourite pirate!

John Roby is a memorial tribute character to my cousin who was killed in Vietnam in 1967.

StarLight Diva is a memorial tribute to a dear friend and RP partner from 2000 to 2007 and who passed away in 2019.
MasterWinter

I don't have them finished or up on RPR in general yet, wait I lie I have one, but my OC family of hunter's were inspired by my friend Cassi's (CassandravH) Cassandra van Helsing OC. Now see she's only rping one van Helsing. I on the other hand will be rping a total of five members of the Silverlance household. I have one up already, as when Cassi was looking for rp partners, I couldn't resist the chance to rp with someone who influenced me to do this rp project.

The SIlverlance's are in quite contrast to Cassi's van Helsing family. Which is perfectly fine. Cassandra and Volya have already butted heads together, simply for their views on hunting.

I don't wish to say more, simply because I've not finished them and I want to keep things as much under wraps as possible. I've no idea what triggered me to make all these OC's to portray, especially since Cassi's only made Cassandra. But that just shows my talent of multi character portrayal, especially doing so in an rp if it makes sense. Just ask Tusi-San (Tusitala2017) as I am near constantly rping multiple OC's with her in our rp, just as she herself is.

Speaking of Tusi-San, it reminds me of another OC influence. My friend Riff made an elf Prince OC. And after I read the bio several times over time, I had the idea for an elf OC. I asked Riff permission to use his stuff for my OC's info. Riff agreed and: Ta-Da! I present Falathiel. Riff then viewed Fala's bio, and he used it to work off of to create the old brother Prince of the first Prince OC he'd made.

Sadly due to rl I don't get to rp hardly with Riff anymore. But Krispy and Tusi-San have the joy of rping with Fala and her cousin's, who I bring in to help move plot along.
KingdomOdd1

Okay, first ever made character:

Oscar: I based his look, and name on one of my cousins. My cousin is always easily annoyed, he is very confident, he doesn't like most people outside our family, and his other personalities are very alike as my character Oscar. My cousins name is actually Oscar and his last name is also Ramirez.

Clover: Clover was based off of one of my close friend's oc. Her oc happened to also be a plant child, and our ocs happen to have similar personalities. We did an roleplay together and that is where the thought of Clover came from. Clover's decided sexuality came from when I was looking around the internet at the different sexuality's and different identifications. I came across the "plant" sexulity, I don't even remember how I got to that page.

Crispy: Crispy was based completely on my personalities. There's not much to say, just that I really wanted a character that could accompany Oscar at their "home".

Hunter: Okay, there's a bit to say about Hunter. First, his personality, likes/dislikes, looks, and ect were all based a bit off of the song "Animal Have I Become" by Three Days Grace and 'Boy In A Bubble" by Alec Benjamin. Second, I once read something about a vampire having his fang on the bottom instead of the top of his mouth, and I thought it would be cool if I made a vampire that didn't like blood and was just misunderstood. Third, I made Hunter 't history based off of a true event. No, there weren't any vampire or anyone who sucked out all the blood from someone. Long story short, this person was bullied, abused, and lost his parents. I don't wanna get into details, because I might cry and regret this.

Zoe: There isn't anyone/character/ect in particular. I just really wanted a disabled oc, and happened to have the idea of her being blind. My friend also decided he was trans(female to male), and I thought she would like the oc of mine.

Zee Zee: Zee Zee was made around the time of Zoe because I thought I'd be nice for Zoe to have a guide dog, but I didn't want Zoe to have a "normal" guide dog, and Zee Zee was brought onto the list of my ocs. Zee Zee's personalities and looks were partially based off my sister.

Valentine: Valentin was a different version of another one of my ocs. My oc's name was Cupid, and he was kind of based off of a cold hearted version of the god of love, Cupid/Eros/ect. I based Valentine's personalities off of one of my friends(again). There isn't much to say, I didn't want to make a ordinary Cupid, so I added the two twists.

Yin and Yang: I decided to do these to ocs together because I got both ideas of them from the same places. First, I had an idea of making twins because I thought it would be fun to make a pair of twins based off Hikaru, and Kaoru(Both from Ouran Host Club, my favorite characters). Second, I didn't think I could make anything like the twins, sadely, I don't have much faith in most of my ideas. Third, I decided to o a Yin and Yang set of twins when my sister came and gave a Yang part of her necklaces.

Mia: Mia was based completely off of me. Everything about Mia is based off of my personalities, likes/dislikes, birth date, most physical states(eyes, skin, handness, color of hair, and ect), and mannerisms. I got the idea of her "power(s)" from Icysoul's character Sam and his hair and eye color changes. As for Mia's "power(s), her different sides are not based off of anything.
Darrell Sanders (played by Rogue-Scribe)

I have to say that Darrell Sanders here was inspired by several people I have known through life, with some added ‘what if’ instances of my own life. The road through life presents itself with certain ‘crossroads’ moments, and sometimes I wonder what a different decision at a certain point would have been like and how would it have affected me. In Darrel’s case, that decision was when I sold my Fender Stratocaster instead of keeping it and using it and getting good at playing it.
SPACE GAS STATION (played anonymously)

to make it brief, Space Gas Station was inspired by something from the game Super Paper Mario (small store in space where they sell chocolate), and the character of The Wizard, as well as more specific details about the concept, came from an amalgamation of inside jokes, things my friends said, scenarios in improv games, and my weird imagination. also, I just really like slushies...
Ooh, this is a hard question tbh, as i have a decent amount of characters but the irony is that i didn't exactly take much influence from others that already exist outside of the scifi elements..I can try explaining how they came to be tho

Tyro Desit:I always liked the ideas of a character considered the "perfect" Soldier, so when i made tyro(and those like him) I interwove it with the idea of a group turning into said types of soldiers, but i wanted my own twist of course..so i thought i could put in a bit of a possibly dramatic history(albeit i have some issues with them since they seem pretty close to cliche's) to tie it in..The name itself though came from my old old old username "Tyrosphere"...Eventually i took the name from that and it stuck, and when i found out tyro meant begginner i thought of it as an awesome ironic play of words.

Nella:When it came to the lore i had built and everything, i mostly wanted an explanation for a multitude of factors as to how certain things worked regarding quite a few mechanics...Add this to the "nature vs technology" Sort of theme that i realised i had, and honestly she fit really well

Torox:In like 99% of games n such today there is always some sort of evil AI or whatnot..but i personally always wondered, why not make one that is an ally? And torox sort of came from that. Lots of scifi elements from my lore also came from him and helped explain a lot of aspects

Xyren:With every story there's a villain, and honestly one that's maybe overdramatic, sadistic and egotistical makes for a solid combination for a hard-headed opponent..When i look back i realise a lot of aspects of him came from the main villain in Borderlands 2, named Handsome Jack. But of course, i put my own large scale, over the top, heavy scifi spin on it.

Chronoshire/Guardianatrix:These 2 characters i made sort of from the blue but after some strong revising turned to what they are now. Guardianatrix was originally meant to just be an explanation for guardians and chronoshire was originally meant to be a giant weapon made by one of the groups from my lore, but as i looked at it and removed some outdated stuff, i realised they could easily be a yin-yang style of 2 gods, further going into my technology vs biology theme.

So yeah, likely a bit more influence from certain sources that i possibly realise, but for the most part this is kinda where they came from : //
(Hope its not too big a deal i did this OOC, i just didnt want to make a wall of messages that were all just from me)
Wandering_Mary

Drans: undertale (Sans), dragontale (Overall idea), and DRAGONS!!! (why not?)
Dust: Creepypasta (Jeff, Clockwork, and Ben), FNaF (Purple boi)
Dark: Real life (me and sleep paralysis demon), and Magic the Gathering (connecting idea)
Void: Real life (me and sleep paralysis demon), Undertale (major power place name, and name)
5: Sega (Tails), Dragons (mannerisms and manners)
Mary: Dragons (BASE), Wings of Fire (the person who liked scrolls forgot name, sorry)
Marcus: Tywin Lannister, Roose Bolton, Maximus from Gladiator

Aedgar: Stannis Baratheon, Elric of Melnibone, Aragorn from LoTR

Aleksandr: Commissar Sebastian Yarrick and Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn
Voítheia (played anonymously)

Inspirations:
Evan Afton (FNAF), Allister (Pokemon), My friend's suggestions (@etherally), the music in his profile's playlist

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » Your Character Influences?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus