Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Genre Mascots Art Epic Week 2018

Claine wrote:
KuroSakuranbo14 wrote:
I got a question. The digital art program I use is MS Paint but I did entertain in one year but I couldn't use it because I wasn't abke to make a transparent background. Does anyone know a good digital art program I could use for this? I prefer to draw my art then transfer it to my computer.

GIMP is free and can make good quality art, but the user interface is garbage.

Thank you! I'll take a look into it when I get a free moment! I have heard of it but never used it myself.
KuroSakuranbo14 wrote:
Claine wrote:
KuroSakuranbo14 wrote:
I got a question. The digital art program I use is MS Paint but I did entertain in one year but I couldn't use it because I wasn't abke to make a transparent background. Does anyone know a good digital art program I could use for this? I prefer to draw my art then transfer it to my computer.

GIMP is free and can make good quality art, but the user interface is garbage.

Thank you! I'll take a look into it when I get a free moment! I have heard of it but never used it myself.

While what Claine said is true, I feel I must suggest FireAlpaca as an alternative. I used GIMP for a while before discovering FA and let's just say GIMP pales in comparison!

EDIT
Just wanted to add
this baby here!

guitarsharkie1.png
Again, he'd probably fall under Creatures.

We can do multiple entries, right?
Novalyyn wrote:
Here's this creature I think someone fished up.

rpr_mascot_entry__fuzzy_sluggy_by_novalyyn-dc9wr27.png

Is this possibly inspired by that white big furry sea creature (most people thought was Apa from the Avatar: The Last Air Bender) that was found in the Philippines?
HibariHaru013 wrote:
Is this possibly inspired by that white big furry sea creature (most people thought was Apa from the Avatar: The Last Air Bender) that was found in the Philippines?
Nah. Just look at sea slugs. Any sea slugs. Things are weird. And amazing.
So here's a weird question.

I just saw a guy on the train who I want to draw because of how he was dressed and what he was carrying. I know that I won't recall his face or many other details, but the rest was definitely unique enough that if he saw it, he'd probably recognize himself.

If I were to finish it in time, could I submit it as a mascot entry, or would that be unacceptable or generally unethical?
I've also got a question. My digital art skills isnt that great without a drawing tablet so I am using an image I originally drew of one of my characters but I am gonna edit to a completely different person and make a digital version of it by tracing the pose form the image I drew, would that be allowed?
Claine Moderator

My first entry!

MCyKaB5.png

A magic girl!

She represents Japanese Culture (If that's a permissible genre haha)

Link to excessively large Magic Girl
KuroSakuranbo14 wrote:
I've also got a question. My digital art skills isnt that great without a drawing tablet so I am using an image I originally drew of one of my characters but I am gonna edit to a completely different person and make a digital version of it by tracing the pose form the image I drew, would that be allowed?

It's allowed since 1) the pose was originally drawn by you and 2) you are still gonna make an original character out of it. Thus, what you're gonna make is basically still yours, so yeah. It's allowed. :)

EDIT: That's just what I think. Not really sure. For sure the others can clarify.
Claine wrote:
My first entry!

MCyKaB5.png

A magic girl!

She represents Japanese Culture (If that's a permissible genre haha)

I think that goes to the Fantasy genre :)
Sanne Moderator

HibariHaru013 wrote:
KuroSakuranbo14 wrote:

It's allowed since 1) the pose was originally drawn by you and 2) you are still gonna make an original character out of it. Thus, what you're gonna make is basically still yours, so yeah. It's allowed. :)

Actually this would be against the rules. All artwork submitted must be created specifically for this contest only. If you're recycling artwork it wouldn't be originally created for this contest and be unfair to other participants.
Sanne wrote:

Actually this would be against the rules. All artwork submitted must be created specifically for this contest only. If you're recycling artwork it wouldn't be originally created for this contest and be unfair to other participants.

Really? I just thought the character design must be original? So therefore, poses (alone) that you have created previously aren't allowed too?
Sanne wrote:
HibariHaru013 wrote:
KuroSakuranbo14 wrote:

But they're talking about only the pose of their own work being traced, and otherwise making a wholly original character. A recolor would definitely be too much, but just a pose seems like it should be passable, so long as they are clearly different.

Though I suppose that could fuzz up the line about why someone else's work can't be traced...
Just want to be sure this doesn't get lost before I get an answer. ^^;
Novalyyn wrote:
So here's a weird question.

I just saw a guy on the train who I want to draw because of how he was dressed and what he was carrying. I know that I won't recall his face or many other details, but the rest was definitely unique enough that if he saw it, he'd probably recognize himself.

If I were to finish it in time, could I submit it as a mascot entry, or would that be unacceptable or generally unethical?
Novalyyn wrote:
Sanne wrote:
HibariHaru013 wrote:
KuroSakuranbo14 wrote:

But they're talking about only the pose of their own work being traced, and otherwise making a wholly original character. A recolor would definitely be too much, but just a pose seems like it should be passable, so long as they are clearly different.

Though I suppose that could fuzz up the line about why someone else's work can't be traced...

The pose is all I would be using, I have plans for a completelt different character design. I can draw poses on paper but not on a digital work because I lack a drawing tablet to do it properly. The character I make won't look anything like the original I made.
KuroSakuranbo14 wrote:

Personally, I'd contact Kim or another actual Mod or Admin or such and ask them, since, answers you are getting here aren't clear enough, nor would they be considered "official" since nobody who has answered for this is a mod.

Though, if this is by chance allowed, I think it would be nice if you somehow took a picture of the original piece of work and showed that as well as a sort of "proof" of it being yours.
Nativity wrote:
KuroSakuranbo14 wrote:

Personally, I'd contact Kim or another actual Mod or Admin or such and ask them, since, answers you are getting here aren't clear enough, nor would they be considered "official" since nobody who has answered for this is a mod.

Though, if this is by chance allowed, I think it would be nice if you somehow took a picture of the original piece of work and showed that as well as a sort of "proof" of it being yours.

I will probably send Kim a message in a moment about this and send her the original image of it and my plans to help show it will be made into something for this contest
What if we want to submit a piece of art for someone else to draw up with no expectation of any kind of reward?
There's only 3 entries so far x.x I hope more come along
Claine Moderator

Nativity wrote:
There's only 3 entries so far x.x I hope more come along

From experience we always get 20 entries in the last three days XD

Don't worry, Kim is never starved for choice.
The due date is also way off from now in June. :9

I've been really busy as of late, and usually am one of the first people to post over the last three years. I have every intention on joining this year, just not while I'm finishing up my competition entry at the moment. ; v ;

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Genre Mascots Art Epic Week 2018

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus