Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Desert Magic (open)

Rook (played by Juls)

((
Silveris Nine wrote:
One by one, the bandits chased down each illusion, trying to find the real one in the mass of running elves as they lunged and punched and slashed at all of them until one bandit, Myles, stalked up on one of the elves near Sampson and jumped on her.

She was solid.
Ayelle wrote:
((ooc, i'm still here, looking for an opertunety ;) dw))

Looks like the young bandit Myles just jumped on her...
))
Grey 906 (played anonymously)

Mirima Myallae wrote:
((Just curious since it was not implicitly stated: Sampson has retrieved a knife and is heading towards Mirima, that means he has let go of Ayelle, correct?))
((Oops! Sorry my bad! I'll change that!))

The gap closed. The fire wall was suddenly strengthening. Grey cursed under his breath.

There has to be a way out, he thought, backing away.

Behind him, the other prisoners were either captured or still fighting. Grey looked down at Rook in his arms. He had no choice. Even if he made it past the fire, he wasn't sure if Rook would survive by the time they reached the nearest healer. Grey closed his eyes.

Sorry, Rook. This is for the best. Grey turned around and walked back to the bandit camp.

----

Now that Miles was holding the elf girl, Sampson let go and stalked towards the dragon man.

"Quiet, shifter," he snapped. "Talks of bravery will get you nowhere. You're all done for."
Marcelle felt Mirima's fingers clasp around his wrist but his grip was tight on her hair as he dragged her to where the two bandits were holding Mystic and Sampson, who was telling the dragon man to be quiet, and Marcelle threw her at the bandits' feet.

"Thank you for bringing back our horses. As a reward, we'll sell you to one of our many business partners. I bet you'd fetch a good price. But we can't have you playing with that instrument beforehand now, can we?"

Marcelle reached for Mirima's instrument.

Silveris finished repairing all the gaps in his leader's fire wall and eyed the prisoners they had caught, realizing that he'd almost forgotten about the telekinetic and the arrow girl but when he turned to issue orders, he saw the telekinetic carrying the arrow girl back to camp.

"Well, well. Look who's back. Didn't find an escape route?"

He motioned for the bandits to surround the two prisoners.

Myles batted away the illusions around Ayelle and grabbed her arm, making sure his grip was tight so he wouldn't loose the real one to the different illusions, and he tried to drag her towards the other bandits while waving his other hand to get their attention.
Mirima allows most of her weight to be transferred from her hair to her arms as she's drug across the camp and roughly thrown back to the ground.

With her instrument strap being underneath her cloak, she gently raises an arm to block his from yanking on the mandore and breaking it. "I'm not sure you can afford me not to," she looks at the bandit next to her who has obviously lost a lot of blood from his midsection. "But suit yourself." She shrugs as she unties her cloak from her chest and then raises the strap of the instrument off her shoulder and over her head. "And I'm not so certain you'd prefer to sell me to one of your business partners if you're looking to avoid trouble in the future, but that's up to you." She decides to wait until asked before providing any more information on the subject. Her speech still rolls along with that sing-song feel - this time reminiscent of a gently meandering stream.

Looking up, she sighs as she sees the man carrying the injured woman back to camp. Maybe everything would've been better if I'd stayed away. Too late for that now.
Rook (played by Juls)

Letting the others re-secure the prisoners now that things seemed to be settling back down, Cordell stalked away from the man who had shot three arrows into the stallion's neck and strode toward the horse. If there was one thing in this dusty hell-hole that Cordell really and truly appreciated, it was a fine horse.

The maimed animal was still alive, but obviously suffering and the one-eyed bandit could see no hope of saving the dying equine. He sighed and put a hand in the stallion's mane, then quickly stuck his knife into its neck and cut outward, severing the jugular to put the animal out of its misery.

They would most likely butcher it. No sense in letting that much meat go to waste.

He stood up and stomped back toward the circle where the prisoners were being gather again, feeling angrier now than he had been when Rook stuck at arrow through one of his fellow bandits.

Grey didn’t reply to Silveris’s taunts, no matter how badly he wanted to lift the fire bandit into the air and smash him against every solid object in the camp. Grey stopped and glared at Silveris.
“I’ll come quietly,” he said. “But please heal Rook. That’s all I ask for.”

——

Sampson grabbed a length of rope to tie Mirima’s wrists behind her back. Cordell had dealt the killing blow to finish of the stallion and Sampson grit his teeth at the effort it took capture such a fine steed. Silveris would no doubt be angry.

Sampson surveyed the prisoners. There was the cloaked girl with the knives (Jez), the dragon man (Mystic), the illusionist (ayelle), the arrow girl and the telekinetic.
((Just wondering whether any of the bandits are doing anything about Mirima's bag; it's hanging cross-body from the opposite shoulder as the mandore. Even though she's willingly surrendered I the instrument, she wouldn't voluntary remove anything else until asked. She won't be a jerk about it though. But it's perfectly acceptable to me if it falls through the cracks. Lol))
((Since we missed it, we'll let it slip ;) ))

Silveris blinked at Grey, surprised that he was turning himself in so easily, and he motioned for Myles to take Rook off of Grey's arms and carry her to a nearby tent where Myles could try bandaging her injuries, then one of the bandits approached Grey with a length of burning hot chains to tie his arms.

Marcelle took Mirima's instrument in his hands and examined it carefully, deemed it looked ordinary enough, and tossed it to Silveris for safe-keeping until he found out how to use it but in the meantime he smirked at each of the prisoners, calculating the prices in his head.

"Cordell, get these prisoners secure on the horses. Sampson, roll up the tents and pack all our cargo. Rally up a few helpers to assist. We're going to pay a trip to Lady Jadis."
Rook (played by Juls)

Once in the tent, Rook's eyes batted open again and she tried for a moment to sit up, then gave up the effort and lay back on the bedding where Myles had put her. "Danny...water... please..." she asked in a hoarse voice, possibly delirious from her earlier blood loss.

--

"The sooner we get rid of 'em, the better," Cordell muttered to himself as he collected the oldest, most docile of their horses to use for the prisoners. He fitted them with only saddles and halters, purposefully leaving off bridles and reins so their riders, even if they managed to get their hands free, would not be able to easily control their steeds. He hoped the trip to visit Jadis was quick and uneventful. He'd never admit it to anyone, but the desert witch scared him worse than Marcelle.

((OOC: Any objections if I play Jadis if/when we get there?))
Mirima quickly fastens her cloak once again, being careful to avoid drawing attention to the bag at her hip.

As Marcelle ignores her hint and gives the orders to pack up, Mirima mutters barely audibly enough to be heard, "Fine. Your loss though..."

She offers her hands in front of herself to be bound. "Nasty wound you got there. You sure you can ride?" A sense of genuine concern comes with her words. At the same time, the thought of kicking him in the gut passes through her mind, but most of the other captives are unable fight. Incapacitating him would only be a minor, and very brief, victory.

((OOC: if he doesn't take the bait and insists on tying her hands behind her back, she'll be sure to tense her wrists and keep hands side by side to give the best chance of wriggling free. Also, @Rook, that's fine by me.))

((I'm cool with it. @Rook, ditto go for it))

Grey watched Myles take Rook away, noting which tent she'd been carried into. He didn't want to leave her in the hands of a bandit but when someone held out a steaming, red chain to bind his arms, Grey realized he had no choice. Alone, he was no match for the entire camp, telekinetic or not. He tried not to wince as burning hot metal met skin and searing pain shot up and down his arms, numbing his feel for his fingers.

There would be no telekinesis in a while.

----

Sampson was admittedly a little surprised at the concern in the musician's words. She had a sing-song voice, and he guessed it probably came with being a fan of music. Sampson raised an eyebrow when she offered her hands in front of herself, but tied the rope anyway, making sure it was extra tight.

"It's none of your business," he hissed in reply. Sampson contemplated cutting off the bag that was strapped across her, but if Marcelle didn't think it was a threat, he supposed there was no need.

Sampson gathered a couple of bandits and they proceeded to clear the camp.
Mystic (played by RpWarden)

They'd put us on horses bringing us to this 'Jadis' to sell us. This was pretty normal for me getting captured and well being sold or something else. All the other prisoners sounded like they hated every single thing about this and wanted to rage. But I kept calm and raged until something very bad happened. So it probably a long way until we get there.
((No objections ;) ))

Myles stared uncertainly at Rook, unsure of what to do as the arrow girl called out deliriously for someone named Danny and remembered Silveris or Marcelle saying something about the rest of her village burning to ashes, and he couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy as he wrapped her wounds and carried her towards a horse.

Once all the tents had been packed and all the prisoners had been mounted, Marcelle hopped onto his black stallion and Silveris onto a substitute mount, and before they set off, Silveris rode his horse towards the bandit that had shot the three arrows through his prized stallion and promptly burned the man to a charred corpse.

Marcelle led the bandits towards the horizon.
Narzha (played by Eve-of-fall)

((Is it possible to enter? I tried to message the creator but I think something failed to function maybe. I'm very new on RPR. In fact, this is my first post. Hopefully no judgment. What's going on and what would be a possible entry?))
Rook (played by Juls)

((10 cent overview: Bandits raid a village. A ranger (Rook) had a brother killed in that raid and seeks revenge. She and a telekinetic (Grey), whose motives are still unknown, attack the bandit camp. Three others get drawn into the fight: Knife-welding Jez, who was lost from her caravan; bard Mirima, who came to return the bandits' lost horses; illusionist Ayelle, who simply appeared. The assault ultimately fails and all are taken prisoner, with varying degrees of injuries. Separately, Mystic, was captured by the bandit leader, Marcelle. Silveris is second (or third?) in command of the bandits.

Now the bandits have loaded their prisoners on horses and are taking them to a lady named Jadis in hopes of selling them. She has a reputation of being a witch.

So, perhaps Narzha knows one of the above characters? Maybe she IS one of the bandits (many of them are still nameless/faceless). Or a lone traveler for some reason? Or maybe she's connected to this witch somehow?

Hopefully that helps! :)

IC post later once I get some real-life work done... ))

((Welcome aboard Narzha! Juls pretty much explained everything. Hop on in whenever you feel like it!))
Rook (played by Juls)

Her plea for water went unanswered and Rook was only semi-conscious of the fact that she was put onto a horse then tied to the saddle, not to keep her from escaping but to simply keep her from falling off. She slumped forward and did not so much as flinch when the screams of the man being burned alive by Silveris filled the air.

"Shoulda sold him to the witch too," Cordell commented sourly, growing increasingly frustrated by the waste constantly on display. It wasn't that he was growing disillusioned with the bandit lifestyle. On the contrary, in a land of limited resources, it seemed only fitting that it should be the strongest who took what they needed first. But maybe if they were more careful with their resources, they wouldn't be risking their lives every few days trying to get more. That stallion would have easily fed the lot of them for multiple days and they had just left it to rot in the sun.

He turned away and rode down the line of prisoners, looking for an outlet for his frustrations. The purple haired telekinetic was on the horse directly in front of the female bard and he positioned his steed beside them. "Ever meet the witch?" he asked, hoping for some kind of reaction. "Sure is an ugly old thing. But I sure wouldn't want to cross 'er. Turn you into somethin' unnatural. Or might just fatten you up 'fore making stew."

Grey gave the one-eyed bandit a sideways glance. From what he'd heard Marcelle say, this man's name was Cordell and he was no doubt one of the more trusted and higher-ranking bandits in the group. Still, enemy or not, Grey was glad for something to distract him from the burning pain of the hot chains around his arms.

"I've met a few," he answered with a tilt of his head. He looked casually over his shoulder and that's when he spotted Rook, slumped on her horse and nearly unconscious.

"Cordell, is it?" Grey licked his lips uncertainly and met the bandit's eyes. "If I were to buy a slave, I would want the ones in tip-top shape. After all the effort it took to catch us, what use would a dead prisoner be?"

He angled his head in Rook's direction.
It was getting dark and Marcelle knew that nights in the desert were just as brutal as the days and the bandit leader pulled his horse to a halt, turning to face his bandit caravan and the progress that they made across the sand, running an eye over the prisoners just in case.

"We'll settle down here. Set a few tents, but not all of them. And make sure none of those prisoners escape tonight because for every prisoner missing in the morning, one of you will be thoroughly burned."

Silveris stopped his horse as well but didn't turn around, instead keeping his eyes on the horizon ahead and then looking up at the darkening sky as the sun slowly descended, and he closed his eyes and breathed in the soft wind that played with his white-blond hair.

"Sandstorm? Let's hope not."

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Desert Magic (open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus