Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

((Lol! That's hilarious! But I was picturing that the chimney was in between Rae and Xepil, so he shouldn't have to scramble past Rae at the end. ;) ))
The GM (played by Juls) Topic Starter

Hovel of the Mad Widow:

Huddled in the shadow of the Jarl’s great hall, the home of the Mad Widow Ymae seems a world apart from the rest of Hirot. It's a small mud hut with a thatched roof. A messy and weed-filled garden sits out front.

As Vilod, Catkins, and Oleen approach, they hear a voice from within. "Come!" says the old crone's voice before anyone has even had a chance to knock. Catkins looks nervously at the other two, then slowly pushes the door open.

The interior of the hovel seems oddly larger than its exterior would indicate. A lively fire burns in a fire pit in the center of the floor, and a mottled cat sleeps atop a shelf laden with unrecognizable bits of dried animals. The Widow sits with a spindle and distaff, spinning flames from the fire into golden threads.

"Come in ... come in" she invites, eyeing the 3 standing in her doorway...

2iw68i1.jpg

In the Tomb:

(( XD ))

The ghoul climbs down the chimney head first and moves quickly, its dirt caked fingernails raking down toward the two targets below.

In the tight quarters, Xepil's knife scrapes the dirt sides of the tunnel rather than finding its intended target.

Edit: Despite the hobgoblin's chivalrous attempts to draw its attention, it was already honed in on Rae, but can't seem to get past the buckler shield suddenly jammed into its path.

rolled 1d4 and got 4
1-3 Attack Xepil; 4 attacks Rae

rolled 1d20 and got 3
Ghoul's attack

rolled 1d4 and got 1
claw damage - if applicable

Outside the Tomb:

"Who knows what's important with ghosts, huh?" Iraco said to Archer, trying to hide any sign of the unease he felt over the whole thing as he eyed the bundle with the human skull.

"Hey!" he shouts over to where they left the two guards with the bard and the boy. "We might need some help with this thing!"

Droggo and Hadden exchange a quick 'not it' look before Hadden finally relents. "Sit down here, Lloré," he orders and binds the bard's ankles to ensure he doesn't try to run off.
((Just wanting to clarify: the ghoul is still in the chimney, right? Mostly above the woody bits?))

Rae Stonebottom wrote:
((Just wanting to clarify: the ghoul is still in the chimney, right? Mostly above the woody bits?))

((Yep! But those ancient brittle sticks are falling away quickly with all the jostling going on in the tunnel. They basically just provided camouflage, no real barrier. :) ))
As John heard Rae and the Hobgoblin and saw the change of formation in the party, he prepared to fight again.
"What's it this time? A damned snake or a ghoul?" he asked as he prepared another spell. However, the tunnel was too tight to be sure an arcane projectile would hit the target instead of his companions, so he prepared an Orb of Light to blind the creature, or whatever it was.

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 8. After the modifier of +1, got 9
Spell - Orb of Light

Archer (played by FandomsForDays)

Archer shrugs and simply tosses the bag on the ground.

"I can't carry it without loosing a lot of my agility." He states, sighing and giving a small stretch before walking back over to the rock. "Let the next idiotic soul who finds it here use it."

He braces himself against the large rock and shoves again.

I swear, if I fall again, I'm resigning. He gripes to himself.

rolled 1d20 and got 5
Archer - Strength

Again the huge stone hardly budges with Archer and Iraco trying to move it. Hadden wades out to help, leaving the bard bound hand and foot and Josh in Droggo's "care".

With the help of a third man, the large stone finally rolls to the side, revealing a dark, narrow passage that's supported by walls of stone slabs. The low ceiling is made of similar slabs, each inscribed with dense spirals.

But there is barely time to take of that in before the pool itself seems to awaken. The silvery waters rush together to form the head and neck of an enormous snake that strikes toward Archer, attempting to "swallow" him in its watery grasp.

rolled 1d6 and got 1
1-2 Archer; 3-4 Iraco; 5-6 Hadden

Water spirit's strike at Archer. (Against his AC)

Edit: The snake water spirit dives into the water, missing Archer and accomplishing nothing worse than soaking the three of them, but begins re-gathering for another strike..

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 1. After the modifier of +2, got 3

"The latter!" Rae calls back in reply to the wizard, "From th' ceilin'!"

((How large is Xepil's buckler?))
Xepil (played by MordosKull)

(( a buckler is a very small shield, no larger than a person’s head. Also in Xepil’s case it’s strapped to his forearm, this is so he can still load his atlatl.))
He silently cursed at his lack of use. Suddenly he worried about a possible ambush from the other side of the tunnel, and turned to see if anything was arriving from the other way.
Archer (played by FandomsForDays)

Archer curses wildly.

What the hell do you do against this kind of thing?! He thinks quickly. My daggers will just cut through the water...will my poison-tipped ones do anything?

Archer grabs one of his daggers, one that was tucked in his boot, and hastily dips it in the poison-filled vial at his side, before aiming it directly between the water-creatures eyes.

rolled 1d20 and got 10
Archer - aim

As the brittle roots and branches almost flake away at being disturbed, Rae decides to abandon the fire idea - for now, at least. While the flames would shoot upwards toward the ghoul, burning bits would be falling all over themselves.

One half of a half-baked idea hatches in her head, and she decides to act on it. She drops her weapon and places both hands at either edge of Xepil's buckler. She roars out the words "Shield smash!" in the ridiculous hope that he'll understand what she means and go with it. Then she launches herself upward and to her left (or vice versa if he carries it on his left arm - she's intentionally not trying to dislocate his shoulder...) in an attempt to pin the ghoul by its chest to the side of the chimney.

rolled 1d20 and got 12
Not sure if this would be a strength or dexterity check...

((John, make a listen (wisdom) check, please!))

The shield slams into the ghoul's chest, pressing it against the side of the tunnel, still with its head oriented down toward Xepil and Rae. She sees its stomach bulge, the decaying skin seeming about to give way. The creature's dirt caked claws swipe across the intersection of the two tunnels in an effort to catch either Rae or Xepil ...

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 14. After the modifier of -2, got 12
Penalty for being pinned, Ghoul attempts to claw at ...

rolled 1d2 and got 1
1 Xepil; 2 Rae

Archer's dagger goes through the snake head of the water spirit, causing it to splash back down into the pool before it can fully form. It does not remain quiet though and quickly begins reforming itself. The short reprieve however, gives Hadden and Iraco time to dive into the tomb. "Com'on!" Iraco shouts to Archer.
Vilod (played by AdoniVae)

Nervously, I make my way through the debris laying around her residence. "U-uh hello..." I stutter, cautiously looking at Cat and Oleen. I think for a moment about what I was originally here for. I felt nervous, but I gathered what guts I had and asked the question I came to ask. "Do you know anything about the Hell Hound attacking the town?" a part of me hoped she didn't take it the wrong way, Gods knows what she could do if she is angered....
Xepil (played by MordosKull)

"Oh yeah! GRRR!" Xepil is all about shield slams. He pushes into the blow with Rae's assistance and pins the ghouls against a wall. Up close and personal now he raises his hunting knife and goes for the overhead stab to try and pierce through the undead's skull. "Die punk!! GRRR!!"

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 6. After the modifier of +1, got 7
Attack

rolled 1d4 and got a natural 3. After the modifier of +1, got 4
Damage

((in a rush so posting this quick for now))"

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 12. After the modifier of +1, got 13

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus