Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » This Town is to Die For! (Closed)

Helynah (played by DazzlingDragon) Topic Starter

Wherever she is, it's dark and it smells terrible. Also, something hard is digging into her back.

Helynah, realizing that she needs to open her eyes to see, does so only to realize with bitter disappointment that its still dark. She lies on the ground, spread-eagle and staring at a starless night sky.

And...and where's the moon?

She sits up, realizing the thing digging into her back is her trident. Thank the Trinity I still have that. She runs her hand along its smooth handle. She lazily traces her fingers around the carving of a fish toward the bladed end as she takes in her surroundings.

She sits just outside of an odd-looking house with a shattered window. Lights flicker on and off inside, just like a few of the lights inside the surrounding buildings.

There's a faint scent of death all around her, so hoping to escape it indoors, she stands, dusts herself off and finds the back door of the building. Helynah, assuming the place is abandoned based off of the damage, draws her trident (could still be dangerous). She holds it upright in her hand before she cautiously enters a long hallway.

And immediately, she knows something is horribly wrong.

That wretched scent permeates the entire building. The flickering lights at the end of the hallway reveal broken furniture, scattered gore, and some hulking figure lying unmoving on the floor.

She takes the trident in both hands and takes a low fighting stance as approaches the monster. Drawing nearer reveals a beetle-like horror. Four body segments, several limbs tipped with long, sharp talons. She takes in a sharp breath as she sees that its adomnen had ruptured from the inside, and its head and crushed and mangled beyond recognition.

The creature is very clearly dead. This scene is horrific and -Helynah feels sick to her stomach- but she's fairly sure that her life isn't in immediate danger as long as she gets the hell out of this house. Whatever killed this monstrosity might be out for her blood, too.
Bronze Nyx (played by Zevel)

What. The. Hell.

Where in the world is he!? Every time he turns his head, all he sees is darkness and unfamiliar buildings. A dreadful stench pokes his nose relentlessly. The smell of gore and blood. This is too much to wake up to- and all he remembered from last night is the tavern bed and how he contemplated under the moon's grace... which is apparently absent in this place. Is it even night? Is this some sort of illusion magic casted on him while he's asleep? Because he sure felt like being watched. His neck fur is bristling instinctively. This feels very realistic.

Crouching, the feline soundlessly trudged forward. Might as well explore and see why the illusionist wants me here. Shrugging skeptically, he suddenly hit something with his hind paw. Bronze looked down to inspect what it is only to find his rapier and knife, lying on the ground a few spaces beside where he woke up. Wordlessly, he picked his weapons up and placed them to where they belong, feeling a bit more safe in this unnatural and foreign place.

Still crouched, the feline mentally notes the oddities in comparison with the towns and villages he have traveled before. The road feels like some sort of stone, with broken white lines that holds some sort of border between the large path. Other than that, it is barren and lifeless like this... city? The lamp posts are unlit and made of some sort of stone too instead of wood, and the buildings are made of the same stone, beautifully created with foreign designs he only just saw.

Seconds turned to minutes. Nothing. Just the fangs of cold seeping unto his fur. The weather is bizarre too. It is mid-summer from where he came from. What's more terrifying is he could feel the weather, or is the illusionist doing something? As much as he wants to believe these what-ifs that will make him feel satisfied and better, his guts tells him that this is not an illusion at all. The stench of decaying flesh is stronger here, just one corner away. His heart quickens, his mind telling him to run, not to investigate.

But he needs answers. Slowly and even more carefully, Bronze peeked into the corner to spot a figure on the ground. A creature beyond his comprehension that is clearly two-and-a-half times larger than him, with claws that can easily tear him apart like paper, and it's dead. It's as if the creature is made out of a mad alchemist's wild dreams, in a more nightmarish nature. Blood flooded the place where the creature gasped it's last breath, unsure if he should feel sympathy or not. This is sickening, and he himself can barely hold on to his wits at this moment. After this gruesome sight, two things are certain.

He is trapped, He must get out of this place.

Helynah had backed away into the shadowy hall when she thinks she spots the head of a furry-earred creature on the other side of the broken window, illuminated by the flickering but disturbingly fireless light dangling from the ceiling.

Her first instinct is to run. Her second is to charge and introduce Bronze to the business end of her trident. Her third, and perhaps wisest, is to lean against the wall and carefully study the situation before deciding whether or not to make her introduction violent.

The stranger isn't very big. It -Or he, most likely- has a broad muzzle, fur, and the eyes and ears of some type of wild prarie cat. His bipedal stance and sophisticated expression of horror screams Felixian. Helynah has only known one Felixian personally, and it suffices to say that she and he did not get along.

However, unless some sort of foul magical play -shapeshifting, perhaps- was involved, she's sure he would not have been capable of killing that beast, at least not by exploding out of its gut or crushing its head. Furthermore, now seems like a bad time to let prejudice lead her course of action.

So she won't kill him, and she also doesn't feel like running away.

But still Helynah hovers in her lame excuse for a hiding spot, not sure if she should wait for him to draw near or if she should just say hello. Perhaps he'll do the running; after all, she does make an imposing silhouette in the hall, being rather tall, wearing a loose-fitting hooded cloak, wielding a long bladed weapon, and finally, being very much alive.

Calm down, Bronze.

Bronze took deep breaths. Mutilation is not new to him. The sight before him was more gruesome and brutal though, which leads him to his next questions; what, how, who, and why? The rush of unanswered mysteries makes him anxious and slightly nervous. Something tells him that whatever attacked this deformed creature is more likely feral and wild, incapable of speech- at least what he assumed so.

The body isn't exactly consumed- more likely to rot in this place. He placed a paw under his chin as if in thought. It is less likely that whatever attacked this... monstrosity are not going back to check on the corpse in a while, which is a relief. The carcass doesn't seem like fresh-kill either.

The feline tasted the air, cautious that his assumptions may be wrong and the hunter, which he'd call it from now on, is nearby. Much to his surprise, a faint yet another foreign scent is right behind him, a few leaps away. From his point of view, whatever this is, it's staying in one location. He's too afraid to turn his head and check what's behind him, given that there's already a corpse here.. He angled his ears down, waiting for it too move, if it was even alive. Nervous, he mustered up enough courage and reached for his rapier, slowly sliding it out of the scabbard. If this thing is capable of thinking, it's most likely to attack. He turned around slowly, his sword-arm ready and his left paw hidden behind.

Oh, please don't attack. Bronze wished desperately.
Victi Aurora Silverfur wrote:
Victi looked back at the armoured form. She smirked. The poor bot was impatient, and from its complaints, not used to working with civilians.

"This is a very non-standard situation, you know," she began, "There's virtually no intel except what we've figured out the hard way, and we're without key resources in terms of magic and tech. You're probably noticing some of the features of the equipment you have are busted. Also, we're virtually all civilians. Other than you and your operative, I think I may be the only one with training, and I'm just a mercenary sorceress who used to be a Valkyrie. Kinda still am," She rustled her wings a bit, "But not formally, I don't think. Most of your expectations of how this thing will go.... sorry, but they aren't going to be met. No real chain of command, and trying to force one won't go well. Any reinforcements we get are going to be people like them: lost, confused civilians, who hopefully have useful skills. Unless we get more trained soldiers, who will be just as frustrated as you, most likely. So, here's my plan for now:

First, find first-aid gear, use it if you think it would help your bonded. Second, see if we can find documentation in here, there may be reports that can tell us more about what's happening, or at least happened, here. Third, find food, becasue otherwise I'm going to start chewing on corpses, and that would be terrible. Fourth, find more real medical resources to use. In there somewhere, we lost someone already, and I'd like to see how she died to get a better clue of what we're dealing with. A six-meter arthropod with an armoured carapace, sapiet-level intellect, and grafted weapons doesn't die easy, so it would be useful to know how she did. Also, I know enough about her species that we may be able to salvage some glands full of antibiotics," she finished, grabbing a box hanging off a wall.

She couldn't read the text on it with her eyes in the state they were in, but putting it down on a table and popping it open? Perfect. Smelled about right, and she could feel things that seemed very first-aid friendly. Also, box on wall, especially brightly coloured, is usually first aid anyway. Her odds were good.

"If you can help find computers you may be able to do something to, or physical files that may be useful, that would be helpful. Unless you want to pop him out of you and direct me in applying what we have in this kit to him. I'm.... almost certain it's first aid, but I still can't see well after those optic flares. Lisa, you think you could do any better?"
Lisa Adrean Adeptus wrote:
"Maybe, if the talking armor would be so kind as to put me down." Lisa's fear is gradually giving way to irritation at her current predicament. "I also have more medicine in my pack, and I know how to give first-aid. You can make your supply runs while I help him. And perhaps the newcomer could help one of us?" She looks around as well as she can, but she can't seem to spot Adam. Still outside? Lurking just out of her limited field of vision?

"Yes!"

OPTIC reacted to Lisa's comment with gusto, unceremoniously dumping her to the ground, as it inspected the medicine found by Victi.

"Healing is paramount. An unknown variable is causing a cascade error in my system, limiting this platforms life support for my bonded. The small one should administer the cure, and I will oversee the procedure. After I am satisfied with the results, I will join you large one, for a new objective."

A small pause in its monologue was followed by a series of flashing blue light. With a very human throat clearing, it began speaking as it layed down on the ground.

"Additionally, introductions are needed for future group cohesion: this programs designation is OPTIC. My bonded is Colonel Masato Ikari... Now, stand back."

A series of beeps, hisses and hydraulic sounds emanated from the armor as the whole suit seemed to fold away and into itself, revealing a slightly smaller human body. As the helmet gave way, a stern looking face with blood splattered lips was shown. Gauntlets now removed, one could see two or three fingers bent in slightly off angles on his left hand. Most open skin seen across his arms was black and blue with bruises. In a Deus Ex Machina moment, the muffled voice of OPTIC originated from the back of the human.

"I am unable to operate independent of my bonded. I must remain within the armor, and he must remain within me. I don't have time to educate you both, but should a separation ever occur, violent psychosis and eventual death would occur. From here I can observe and assist with medical knowledge and procedure. Begin superficial examination when ready, smaller bio mass."
Victi jumped forward to catch Lisa and slow her fall, supporting her head. If Lisa hit the floor, Victi would have to tell the bot it was an idiot when the chimera fell unconcious again, which, though fun, seemed like a good way to get into a fight with it, which she didn't feel like doing for once.

"Like I said earlier, electronic and photonic devices seem disrupted here. Not sure of the cause, but that's probably what you're feeling. I'm familiar with the kind of bonding mechanism you're describing, I think. Details later, though," she says, righting Lisa to her feet, "I'll be extra hands if you need them, Lisa."
Lisa Adrean Adeptus (played by DazzlingDragon) Topic Starter

"Wait, don't-" she shouts as OPTIC tosses her off of his shoulders to the ground. Thankfully, she falls into Victi's arms instead of hitting the floor. She mutters a quick "thank you" and glares as Masato's unconscious body as the fox helps her to her feet. Her knees buckle once and she nearly falls, but she keeps herself mostly upright by leaning against the wall.

She slides down the wall -going from standing to sitting without falling feels impossible- so she kneels beside Masato. Seeing the full extent of the damage, she realizes that he could be in worse shape than she had first thought.

The fact that he was still unconscious suggests a concussion, hopefully, a mild one. Some of the fingers on his left hand are broken, and Lisa worries that he might have more fractures that she can't yet see. She hopes the medicine kit that Victi had found something she could use for his bruising. As she goes through her bag again, setting out more vials of the salve, bandages, and other miscellaneous medicines.

She begins to apply another type of ointment to the bruises. This one feels icy cold against the skin; she knows that is will reduce swelling, but she also should try to put some pressure on the arm, too.

While trying to come up with the supplies to put appropriate pressure on the dozens of bruises, she remembers that they have a medicine kit.

"Oh, right. Victi, will you hand me that box?"
Raven (played by DazzlingDragon) Topic Starter

Quote:
“It was my fault.” “If I was never there , then mommy wouldn’t kill Bella.” She didn’t even hear anymore what Raven said , she was so sad. “Maybe I can fix a new sister.”

"Fix a new sister, huh?" Raven murmurs this. She's still purring to comfort Liliath but she doesn't seem all that content anymore. "Look, we should, uh...go back to the others. They might need my paws or your tiny hands."
"Sure, if there's anything you don't recognize, uh.... ask OPTIC, I can't see thing well still. If it's not helpful, describe it to me. If there's a funky thing with pads and a display and cords, ignore it, that's a defibrilator, it's for cardiac events and probably won't work here," she says as she passes Lisa the kit.

Bronze Nyx wrote:
Calm down, Bronze.

Bronze took deep breaths. Mutilation is not new to him. The sight before him was more gruesome and brutal though, which leads him to his next questions; what, how, who, and why? The rush of unanswered mysteries makes him anxious and slightly nervous. Something tells him that whatever attacked this deformed creature is more likely feral and wild, incapable of speech- at least what he assumed so.

The body isn't exactly consumed- more likely to rot in this place. He placed a paw under his chin as if in thought. It is less likely that whatever attacked this... monstrosity are not going back to check on the corpse in a while, which is a relief. The carcass doesn't seem like fresh-kill either.

The feline tasted the air, cautious that his assumptions may be wrong and the hunter, which he'd call it from now on, is nearby. Much to his surprise, a faint yet another foreign scent is right behind him, a few leaps away. From his point of view, whatever this is, it's staying in one location. He's too afraid to turn his head and check what's behind him, given that there's already a corpse here.. He angled his ears down, waiting for it to move if it was even alive. Nervous, he mustered up enough courage and reached for his rapier, slowly sliding it out of the scabbard. If this thing is capable of thinking, it's most likely to attack. He turned around slowly, his sword-arm ready and his left paw hidden behind.

Oh, please don't attack. Bronze wished desperately.

She tenses with the hiss of metal sliding out of a sheath as the Felixian turns to face her. Her grip tight around her own weapon, she locks eyes with him while drawing a blank on what to say.

Helynah's not one for diplomacy; that's been Zafnir's job ever since they began traveling together. Despite his being a dragon, and so technically the most powerful, she was always their groups' heavy because he favors negotiating over combat. She picks the fights while he works on trying to end them without killing anyone.

So, a good course of action would be to think of what Zafnir would say. He'd probably tell a lazy joke after introducing himself and promising not to eat anyone twenty or thirty times. She's not a fan of jokes and no one actually worries about getting eaten by her because she doesn't look like an apex predator, so introductions are all that seem appropriate.

She steps forward, forcing herself to hold the trident in her left hand and out to the side. Placing her free hand over her heart, she says, "Good evening." Although it really is a horrible evening, she lets whatever bit of wry humor she has slip out in her introduction with the hopes of putting the stranger at ease.

So it is evening then? The trident looks threatening in the feline's perspective. He can only parry swords, not long poking sticks. He's got to weasel himself out of this one, like he always does against powerful enemies. He feels like he can only dodge and jump around against that trident. He's got to choose his words more carefully to avoid conflict. His extended sword arm lowered down, more in a relaxed manner, his rapier pointing on the ground. He decided against unsheathing his knife behind, for it is yet unnecessary. He needs to know about this place, and the woman seems to be able to communicate with him fine with proper etiqutte. She's his only hope to shed light to some of his questions.

"Good evening." Bronze greeted back, bowing his head a bit in a respectful gesture, his eyes still locked on the stranger who still poses a threat. But there's one thing he is sure of, and that is she did not kill the rotting beast behind him. The gashes and wounds does not match with her equipped weapon. Relief calmed his heart a little, but not for long.

"So." He started, clearing his throat. He have questions to ask but doesn't know where to start. At this current situation, he must first evaluate if this woman is really a threat. At least he feels like this trident-wielding lady is a honorable one. "Would you kindly help me? I'm lost." The Caracal inquired, improvising a plot in his head. She probably lives here. She'll know the way around.

Helynah frowns; this felixian is as lost as she is, so there goes whatever hope she had for answers.

At least he appears unhostile and rather polite. She figures she has little to fear from him, so she shifts her hold on the trident, moving her hand so it grips the end of the staff. Then she slides it into the sheath on her back. The retracted point sticks out over her head to the left. Its clear to any observers that she's still armed and she can quickly redraw the weapon if the stranger feels like taking a stab at her. She could do that, or...well, she has other nifty tricks. Point being, Helynah isn't afraid of getting stabbed.

"I hope we could help each other," she says. "I'm afraid I am also quite lost." Her eyes drift to the mangled corpse. That little surge of nausea calls bile up to her throat again. She gags and forces herself to swallow it. "Ulch...you don't suppose we could speak somewhere that doesn't reek of rotting monster corpse?"
Raven wrote:
Quote:
“It was my fault.” “If I was never there , then mommy wouldn’t kill Bella.” She didn’t even hear anymore what Raven said , she was so sad. “Maybe I can fix a new sister.”

"Fix a new sister, huh?" Raven murmurs this. She's still purring to comfort Liliath but she doesn't seem all that content anymore. "Look, we should, uh...go back to the others. They might need my paws or your tiny hands."

“Yes fixing a new one , I just ask mommy to fix a new one.” Liliath smiled , thinking about her sister Bella “Yes they might need that.” She walked back to the others “We are back , you can’t ask where we were case it’s secret.” She said before anyone would ask

Helynah wrote:
Helynah frowns; this felixian is as lost as she is, so there goes whatever hope she had for answers.

At least he appears unhostile and rather polite. She figures she has little to fear from him, so she shifts her hold on the trident, moving her hand so it grips the end of the staff. Then she slides it into the sheath on her back. The retracted point sticks out over her head to the left. Its clear to any observers that she's still armed and she can quickly redraw the weapon if the stranger feels like taking a stab at her. She could do that, or...well, she has other nifty tricks. Point being, Helynah isn't afraid of getting stabbed.

"I hope we could help each other," she says. "I'm afraid I am also quite lost." Her eyes drift to the mangled corpse. That little surge of nausea calls bile up to her throat again. She gags and forces herself to swallow it. "Ulch...you don't suppose we could speak somewhere that doesn't reek of rotting monster corpse?"

"Ah, well." He muttered as he slid his rapier back to it's place, not wanting to attack a lady. Bronze examined her once more. She's strong with nice muscles, and he bets that the blue trident is too heavy for him to use around- or maybe because he doesn't know how to use. Catching her eyes, the feline glanced behind him and found her looking at the corpse. I guess she hasn't seen bloody wars before. Deaths by axes are much worse than swords.

"Yes, let's get out of here. We'll speak more after we've moved away from this corpse. We should find a safe haven first- err..." He paused remembering that he isn't familiar with these buildings. Speaking of which, what is a 'Super Market'? At least he can read the signs. "Would you kindly lead the way? I bet you know the way more than me."
Lisa Adrean Adeptus (played by DazzlingDragon) Topic Starter

Victi Aurora Silverfur wrote:
"Sure, if there's anything you don't recognize, uh.... ask OPTIC, I can't see thing well still. If it's not helpful, describe it to me. If there's a funky thing with pads and a display and cords, ignore it, that's a defibrillator, it's for cardiac events and probably won't work here," she says as she passes Lisa the kit.

"R...right." As Lisa raises the lid, she realizes that she put herself in over her head; nothing, except for bandages, seems familiar to her.

She quickly identifies the "defibrillator" and puts it aside, then sets what she can identify as bandaging next to her own medical supplies. Next, she deals with the little bottles and...tubes (?)of pills or medicine that she can't properly identify. Liz sets that aside too, hoping she'll get a chance to ask later.

"Pardon me, OPTIC, but can you tell me what..." she holds a shiny, soft package of something labeled...she thinks it says "cold something," but her eyes are still about as bad as Victi's and she can't completely trust them. "...can you confirm that this is a package of cold?"
"And, OPTIC," Victi added with pre-emptive exasperation towards the AI, "please be tolerant that she is, I suspect, operating on a pre-industrial and either early or proto-scientific knowledge base. She's still your best option. Be respectful, please."
Raven (played by DazzlingDragon) Topic Starter

The moment Raven makes sense of that comment, all of their conversation's serious is lost. She has to let Liliath go on ahead of her while she collapses on the ground, burying her face in her paws to stop herself from laughing. Did...did the girl just...? She can't believe that Liliath knows what she means, but the child's little smile and last comment hints otherwise in the gutters of Raven's head.

She recovers in a few minutes, but before following the others inside, she pauses by Adam's side. The poor fellow is still apparently paralyzed with fear. "Hey, I know this is all kind of horrific and unbelievable, but standing scared stiff is going to make you an easy target. Let's go inside."

Quote:
"Ah, well." He muttered as he slid his rapier back to its place, not wanting to attack a lady. Bronze examined her once more. She's strong with nice muscles, and he bets that the blue trident is too heavy for him to use around- or maybe because he doesn't know how to use. Catching her eyes, the feline glanced behind him and found her looking at the corpse. I guess she hasn't seen bloody wars before. Deaths by axes are much worse than swords.

"Yes, let's get out of here. We'll speak more after we've moved away from this corpse. We should find a safe haven first- err..." He paused remembering that he isn't familiar with these buildings. Speaking of which, what is a 'Super Market'? At least he can read the signs. "Would you kindly lead the way? I bet you know the way more than me."

"Heh, I'm again afraid I do not, but I'm sure any place that doesn't house the dead will do." She passes by him and opens the front door, except it seems that said door has been blocked by a web of thick, impenetrable silk. Giant spiders? A lot of normal spiders? Something worse. Wonderful, absolutely wonderful. She closes that door and crosses back into the hallway. That door is still clear, thank goodness. She joins Bronze outside.

"Ah, by the way; I don't believe I introduced myself. She holds out her left hand, which rough and calloused from years of regular manual labor. "Helynah, and what may I call you?"

She's not from around here too? Then what's going on? Two individuals stuck in a foreign land is far too coincidental. What's more is that she's... a human. A human? Seriously? They're only a fickle of imagination in his friend's head. Nothing but funny-looking creatures. But why does she exist? Her voice reminds him of a woman so she must be a she, right? Do they even have genders? This must really be a dream. He's expecting to wake up any moment now but...

Bronze never left his eyes on the human until she entered inside. He then waited and kept thinking. Bronze is silent when she emerged from the building and offered her hand, deciding if he should shake it. In fact, he stared at it for a few seconds. The offer seems generous, and building good relationships somehow his forte, plus she seems like a valuable ally especially if there are really monsters creeping around here. And lastly, even if this is a dream, he'll feel guilty by leaving her hanging. "Bronze. Bronze Nyx." the feline replied and shook her hand, feeling the callouses that just indicate her years of training.. Oh, heavens. Even her hand feels real.
“We should try to find a shelter , I don’t trust Seo , she hit me.” Liliath said annoyed “Also we need to fix clothes and survival stuff like knives .” She said to the others

She looked to Raven “What?” Liliath then remembered their conversation “Oh.” She giggeld “Raven it’s not that funny.”

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » This Town is to Die For! (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus