Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Whatcha doin' today?

I did some research since apparently people want to know 'where exactly the characters are' in my book and silly stuff like that 😝

And drew out a map of the town they are in, with the locations they go to marked.

Still need to make another for another city and a road trip they take.

Pics
JPEG_20190528_175446.jpg

20190529_184803_HDR.jpg
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
... aaannnd a week later... I finally got the fireplace insert operational! Managed to do it in under 1 month...
... we went in and bought the ex-demo on May the 4th. The next day was Possum day so nothing happened. On May the 8th the woodstove was delivered to the house. On May 11th my wife and I wrestled out the old firebox on the 11th, then celebrated by relaxing on the 12th. On the 18th we wrestled the 100kg Quadra-Fire WIN18 in to the fireplace from the front porch. That's when the delays started.

The flue kit we got with the stove was four 1 meter sections of straight stove-pipe, a chimney flashing, and a pipe cap. The insert sitting in place didn't have clear passage for a straight pipe to go up the brick chimney, so some DIY engineering was needed. After analysis, extras needed were 2x 45° bend pipes to clear the back of the brick arch of the fireplace and be able to have the up-stack connect in. But the 45° bend had too much pipe length atop the insert before it made the bend to clear the back of the brick arch, so I had to cut it down. Enter the tin snips... customised the bend-pipe on the 19th.

The next obstacle was the upstack wouldn't move far enough forward to connect into two 45° pipes put together because the chimney narrows about half way up and the pipe was hitting it. I needed about 11" of straight pipe between the two 45° bend sections to get the upstack to mate up. It seems you can only get stove-pipe in 1 meter lengths in this country, and they won't cut it. Probably some workplace health and safety thing.... anyway, I had fun with a hack saw after failing to find a compatable cutting wheel for my Bosch bench grinder. I managed to cut a 25cm-ish/11"ish length fairly straight with the saw. That happened today. Final hook-up of the flue happened about 4PM, and viola... fire! Good thing too because the gas main heater decided to quit igniting yesterday afternoon.

I still have to cut the top pipe and screw on the cap, and cement down the chimney cap flashing, but that is future-ranger's problem this coming weekend.

XD Possum Day!

And...i feel like I just watched an episode of a home improvement show. Congrats on all that!

Mercyinreach wrote:
I did some research since apparently people want to know 'where exactly the characters are' in my book and silly stuff like that 😝

And drew out a map of the town they are in, with the locations they go to marked.

Still need to make another for another city and a road trip they take.

Pics
JPEG_20190528_175446.jpg

20190529_184803_HDR.jpg

Neat thing to do.
Stop my brain from melting in this heat, and attempt to get posts out. Also watch three kids, possibly clean my house. Make said kids food.
Skrifa

Get more written in my story, get my car serviced, pick up my new phone (good riddance, you little Iphone 5c), visit my friend in the hospital, and get some much needed sleep
Rogue-Scribe

Just arrived at work at 7:15AM Friday morning. Been a full week and I’m looking forward to the weekend!

Hoping to sit down and get to writing my RP owes this weekend. I’m so behind.

CatalinaRose wrote:
Stop my brain from melting in this heat, and attempt to get posts out. Also watch three kids, possibly clean my house. Make said kids food.

*sends ice*

I know, it's been getting into the 90s here which is not that high for us, but it is for May.

Skrifa wrote:
Get more written in my story, get my car serviced, pick up my new phone (good riddance, you little Iphone 5c), visit my friend in the hospital, and get some much needed sleep

Yay. May all those things go well.

And yay, new phone.

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Just arrived at work at 7:15AM Friday morning. Been a full week and I’m looking forward to the weekend!

Hoping to sit down and get to writing my RP owes this weekend. I’m so behind.

Happy Friday.
North-Wood

Chilling on the computer before my doc appointment tomorrow.

Gah. I'm stuck again. I wrote a big, long response and was so immersed that now I'm in that "I don't want to get off the phone" state. It's like trying to break out of a trace that's warm, and calm, and comfortable, and you need to get back to the real world and you want to keep typing and typing and typing. Calm, peaceful, predictable, easy, simple, repetitive, hypnotic, typing.

But at the moment, I'm trying to get moving and get driving home. Tomorrow, birthday shopping. My mom's birthday is tomorrow!

North-Wood wrote:
Chilling on the computer before my doc appointment tomorrow.

Hope your appointment goes well.
Skrifa

Abigail_Austin wrote:
Gah. I'm stuck again. I wrote a big, long response and was so immersed that now I'm in that "I don't want to get off the phone" state. It's like trying to break out of a trace that's warm, and calm, and comfortable, and you need to get back to the real world and you want to keep typing and typing and typing. Calm, peaceful, predictable, easy, simple, repetitive, hypnotic, typing.

But at the moment, I'm trying to get moving and get driving home. Tomorrow, birthday shopping. My mom's birthday is tomorrow!

Happy birthday to your mom!!!!

Skrifa wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:

Happy birthday to your mom!!!!

Thanks, Skrifa! You're full of awesome awesomeness, as usual!

She'll be 82.
Finishing up my June bullet journal spread, wanna get some art work done, getting out a few RP replies, and probably going be non-stop listening to the Anastasia movie soundtrack all day on account of seeing the Broadway version last night.

I just really wanted to watch the movie the entire time lol
Rogue-Scribe

Today, June 1, a seemingly endless list of weekend projects around the house.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Bikini shopping barbecuing enjoying 90 degree heat.

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Today, June 1, a seemingly endless list of weekend projects around the house.

Tool time!

SexySultryAngelBabe wrote:

Sounds like you're smokin' hot (pun intended). :p
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Abigail_Austin wrote:
SexySultryAngelBabe wrote:

Sounds like you're smokin' hot (pun intended). :p
LOL thanks for the ego boost

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Whatcha doin' today?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus