Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Official Contest: Genre Mascot Art 2019

Kim Site Admin

One of the things that makes the RPR great is the amazing variety of characters and games that are represented here. By now, the "genre jumble" group on the homepage is quite familiar:

2018's genre mascots
genre-jumble-may-2018.png

2017's genre mascots
genre-jumble-may-2017.png

2016's genre mascots
genre-jumble-may-2016.png

See more genre jumbles here!

2015's genre mascots
genre-jumble-may-2015.png

2014's genre mascots
genre-jumble-may-2014.png

2013's genre mascots
genre-jumble-may-2013.png

2012's genre mascots
genre-jumble-may-2012.png

2011’s genre mascots
genre-jumble-may-2011-contest.png

But did you know that those characters were all drawn by members? Now it’s time again for a new group of characters to represent our diversity and creativity!

To enter:
Pick one (or more) of the following genres and draw an original character that you think embodies the spirit of that genre.
  • Fantasy
  • Sci-fi
  • Steampunk
  • Mutants
  • Anthro/Furre
  • Cyberpunk
  • Superheroes
  • Fae
  • Creatures: Wolves, Dragons, etc...
  • Suggest a new one!

Rules:
  1. Must be your own creation.
  2. Cannot be a previously made character. The genre mascot must be your original creation made for this contest.
  3. You must agree that if chosen, your drawing becomes property of the RPR, to be used on the RP Repository website and on promotional material for the RPR. That means your genre mascot could have the chance to represent us far and wide, on and off the homepage!
  4. Large/high resolution images are encouraged, preferably 300 dpi if possible.
  5. Genre mascots should be presented on a transparent background.
  6. All genre mascots must be appropriate for a PG-13 type audience.
  7. You may enter more than one image into the genre jumble, and more than one image can be selected to win -- BUT you will only ever have one entry into the winners' raffle.
  8. Preference is given toward digital art. Please, no photomanipulations.
  9. Absolutely no tracing.
  10. Be cautious if submitting a character that is carrying a banner, such as the Geisha in the 2013 jumble -- be aware that this limits how many positions the character can occupy in the final image, and may mean that it is harder to fit and will have to be cut.
  11. The entries will be judged based on how well they appeal to their particular genre, creativity, effort, and skill to select a pool of finalists.
  12. As many winners as possible will be selected from the pool of finalists based on 1) Space availability in the final image and 2) an attempt to represent as many genres (and other forms of diversity!) as possible.
  13. Number of winners is determined by how many mascots fit in the final image comfortably. This is typically 7 to 10.

Want to enter a collaboration? Please check here for the rules regarding that
I allow two person collaborations if they get pre-approval BEFORE entering.

To get approval, the team needs to do the following things:
  • Declare their intent to collaborate by PMing me, with both of the collaborants included on the conversation recipient list. This means both team members need to be members of the RPR.
  • Explain who is doing what in this collaboration. ("Person A is sketching, person B will color.")
  • Submit a WRITTEN PLAN for how prizes should be distributed and exactly what they plan to do with them, should they win any. This needs to include details for both the Hourglass of Epicness that all winning entries earn, and other possibilities that could be won in the raffle. For example, you might write...

"If we win, we would want the hourglass sent to Person A. Person A will use it once, then send the remaining use to Person B. Any further digital prizes should be sent to Person B if we get any. If we win a physical prize like a tote bag, Person B cedes any claim to those, they should be sent to Person A at 12345 SW Main st..."

Another example:

"We plan to use the Hourglass of Epicness on our Group, Group Y. Neither Person A or Person B will use any part of the Hourglass. Send it directly to Group Y. Any other prizes we might win will be raffled off to our group members, so they can also go to our group treasury. We wish to decline any physical prizes."
  • Wait to receive a reply approving their plan before going forward with the collaboration.

Prizes:
The winning genre mascots will be combined into their own genre jumble, and featured on the home page for a year.

EVERY person who contributes a character used in the final jumble will receive an Hourglass of Epicness (2 use item, 6 month of Epic Membership Status per use).

The following prizes will also be raffled off between the winners:
Deadline:
June 2nd 2019 is your last day to submit artwork.
3rd time lucky! Keep getting so close to getting in lets try again this year! Can't wait to see everyone's designs!
Tink

I'll try for this!
🙌 🤞 exciting
I'm definitely going to play around and possibly come up with something to enter. It's going to be so much fun!
Oikastache

I'm thinking of entering, though, do you think that there could be a few new categories? Like, perhaps, horror or romance?
Just asking because I know more about those genres than any other.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Oikastache wrote:
I'm thinking of entering, though, do you think that there could be a few new categories? Like, perhaps, horror or romance?

Yes, you can definitely do a mascot for a genre that isn't included! I know we have had some horror entries in years past, and romance is fine too. :) Just make sure it's still PG-13 (no excessive gore, please)!
Oh man! In the past year, I've gotten way better at drawing, AND I now have a good computer and a drawing tablet to draw with! I'm definitely entering this year.
Claine Moderator

Vibrating
gothnun

This will be my first time ever participating!! I'm so excited! <3
Oikastache wrote:
Yep, the ones listed are just some suggestions to get people thinking. :)
Inspiration is coming back to me bit by bit, so I might enter this year! The hard part will be choosing a genre...
Oikastache

Sorry 'bout another dumb question, but where exactly do we put our entries? I'm still very new to using websites like these.
Oikastache wrote:
Sorry 'bout another dumb question, but where exactly do we put our entries? I'm still very new to using websites like these.
No worries. :)

You'll need to upload it to some sort of image host, then post the link here in this thread. Usually, folks try to display it (using the img tag), but just providing the link is okay too.

If you're not familiar with BBCode, take a look here.
Oikastache

83KY.png
uwu
So... This is my entry, I suppose. It was meant to be the romance genre, but I don't know how apparent it is.
You might want to add feet real quick! There's a good chance they won't be visible if it gets used anyway, but it still makes it easier to work with, and thereby improves your chances. :)
Oikastache

Oof, I forgot about that! I have a habit of just drawing the bits of the character that are easiest for me.
Tink

1556231204233.png heres mine I guess..... it's not very good.....
o54HoGG.png

Anthro genre, calico kitty. I wasn't aware someone had already done a very similar pose/vibe or I'd have done mine differently. x3
j3weMTG.png

:3 I'll give it a shot~ Um Genre....maybe Creature? Original Creature....xD OPEN VERSE!!! hell i dunno....It's a made up creature that doesn't even exist already like dragons or werewolves. I call it a Felinymph! ._.;

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Official Contest: Genre Mascot Art 2019

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus