Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Bloodied Shards IC (CLOSED!)

Victi Aurora Silverfur (played by Avitrathephoenix) Topic Starter

Victi sighs when she hears the click.

"Alright, you do you," she says remarkably softly, not taking her eyes off of the floating document. The softness isn't in her tone, which is very exasperated, but in that the way she speaks doesn't feel harsh after the relative quiet of the forest. "But if you survive long enough for it to lead to organ failure or whatever a decade or two down the line, know that I told you so and will be laughing."

Having made her point, she continues reading as if nothing had happened.
Adriannu (played by Katia)

Adriannu remained on the roof looking down at Thalia and Liliath, but was ready to bolt the moment it looked potentially threatening to her. Now while she had expected the inquisitor to do something hostile, she certainly didn't expect what she actually did instead. Albeit at first, she was extremely skeptical about her claims regarding the angel of law which was easily revealed by her expression. However she was quickly convinced when the angel actually spoke which caused her eyes to widen and look around a bit for the speaker, but was carefully to always watch Thalia out of the corner of her eye. Naturally she failed to find anything and was left with a rather thoughtful look on her face as she found this to be honestly kind of cool, especially when it warned Thalia against implying anymore threats.

As for her answer to the angel, that was actually delayed a bit by Liliath getting into an argument with it of all things which had her sigh very softly in the manner of 'you have to be kidding me.' Only after the child had gone quiet, did she finally offer her response. "Uh thank you... Your Radiance?" She started with, though clearly a little unsure of how to address the angel and thus was just taking Thalia's lead. "I admit that I have never heard of this before, but I'm willing to go along with it. So may I ask who goes first in these proceedings?" During this, Adriannu actually had a bit of awe in her voice and was clearly far more respectful to the Angel of Law then she had been to the inquisitor. The fact that it was an angel and had more importantly stood up for her had gone a long way towards earning her respect.
Misc other (played by Avitrathephoenix) Topic Starter

"The High Inquisitor has made her statements. You may present any counterpoints or querries as you please," comes the celestial response to Adriannu's question, "The nature of the engagement is such that the objective of the engagement between yourself, Huntress Adriannu, and High Inquisitor Thalia is in equal parts your questioning for information you desire, free of restrictions beyond common courtesy and formal secrets of the Inquisition or Church of the Known Gods, and High Inquisitor Thalia's questions solely regarding the recent incidents of which all parties are generally aware. You are ceded priority now, as High Inquisitor Thalia was the party to initiate the exchange."

Watchful silence returns to the minds of those involved. The angel's intent becomes clear: it is to be an active participant only minimally, and is more there to keep those involved in line. Clarification seems to be part of that role, however.

Thalia stays silent for now, in compliance to the angel's previous demand.
Isabella observed Drake with a continuing smile across her face. 'Not picky' was not helpful, but as he took the basket, she watched and saw just what meat and fruit he selected from the given options, documenting them for when it was her turn with the basket. As it was set nearby, she reached with one hand and slid the basket closer to her, eyeing what was in Drake's hand one last time before looking into the basket to find replica's of the food items he held.

Before she could more than even slide the basket nearer to her, drake thrust the sweets he had nabbed before her. She gasped audibly in reaction and reached out to take the candy he offered, "Hey, wow!" Quickly she allowed her book to lean back against her chest as she extended her other arm to take the candy in her hands, working to unwrap it and completely forgetting her manners in her excitement, and thus not thanking Drake. It was only moments before the candy was freed and Isabella tossed it in her mouth and closed it staring up to Drake once again.

Her eyes lingered as she ate the candy, eyeing over his facial form and taking in the colors and other various features his facial structure offered. After a few moments of this, she dropped her gaze to the basket again, bringing her head down with it. Her eyes, only, glanced up, then, to Drake, and Isabella maneuvered her arms to help her scoot a little closer to Drake with a lack of subtlety.

She was close enough now that the basket now was able to touch Drakes leg while simultaneously touching her own. She reached into it as she finished off the candy and pulled out a matching piece of fruit and set it quickly into her lap, then thrust her arm back into the basket and took a matching piece of meat, now giving her the same meal the Drake had taken from the basket.

"Those are my favorites too," Isabella stated, taking a small bite of the salted jerky and beginning to eat it with a closed mouth. She stared up to Drake as she ate a bit uncomfortably, not noticing the pair of insects, seemingly harmless beetles, making their way up onto the leg of her dress. A few others might likely be discovered if one was to investigate as well, but not to an unusual number.
Lisa freezes as Victi parts her lips to speak, her expression shifting into one less of uncertain fear and more of frustration as she anticipates an argument. What she gets is...arguably better. The vixen's rebuke, spoken in a quietly irritated tone, oozes reluctant resignation with a scathing remark to polish it off.

The chimera hesitates, glancing at the very soft tails offered to her as a set of living pillows. The longer she looks, the more tempting they become, but unless the soft thing is also small with a dark silky coat, amber-eyed face, a permanent smirk and a comforting, warm purr, she can rest assured it won't help her fall asleep.

With a sigh that mixes all manner of exhaustion, self-disappointment and relief, she pops open a small bottle holding homemade clay-capsule pills. She spills one into her palm, places it in her mouth and tilts her head back to swallow.

Then she waits. After a few minutes she lies down, the medicine dragging her mind toward unconsciousness. If it's any consolation, her lolling head falls to rest directly on Victi's tails. As her heartbeat slows and her breath begins to even into a steady, relaxed rhythm, Lisa sinks into a deep, if physically unwelcome, slumber.
Victi Aurora Silverfur (played by Avitrathephoenix) Topic Starter

"Finally," Victi mutters as head reaches tails. She honestly wasn't planning on doing anything weird using them, she just knew that the dense, silky coat of fur to be legitimately comfortable and nice to use as a pillow.

No, when Lisa woke up, that would be the time to work the info out of her in devious yet hopefully-tactful ways. She considered setting up some kind of afterlife mirage to make Lisa think she'd been killed, but Victi had articles to catch up on. She'd be nice.

For now.

Adriannu listened as the angel explained things a bit further and said that at the moment, she had priority. The latter of which was of particular importance to her as she had a question she wanted to ask Thalia more than anything else. "Thank you, Your Radiance. In that case, I wish to ask Thalia a question first then. "Thalia, after these proceedings are finished and with the assumption I tell you everything you want to know, what are your intentions regarding me?" She asked, in order to learn exactly what to expect after this was over. Judging from what she learned so far, Thalia could neither threaten or lie to her right now, meaning it was the perfect moment to find out what the inquisitor had planned.

Now as she waited for her to respond, she looked closely at her face, trying to read her reaction as she had a feeling that Thalia would be less than thrilled with that particular question. Well in that case, it was just too bad, so sad for her as she wasn't stupid and was not about to let the inquisitor hide any nasty surprises she might be planning for her. It things were going to go bad after this, well it was much better to be forewarned.

"Honestly?" Thalia begins, looking remarkably non-disturbed, "If you're as deep into this as I think you are, I'm willing to let you do what you have to, and make sure my people don't get in your way."

She begins to pace as she talks, gesturing broadly with her words. "I don't know much about what's going on, but I know it's a lot more and a lot worse than the a few people with questionable artifacts. The vase? Some kind of doomsday sorceress? An attack in the city? Frankly, if you're involved in dealing with this mess, we're on the same side. If you can make sure I know what I need to, my people may be able to help you deal with... whatever the enemy's plan is, if just by being in more places than you."

She switches to an annoyed mutter, "better to have them on this than bothering ordinary witches and druids."

The angel remains silent, suggesting that it has no problems with what either of them has said.

Adriannu nodded at Thalia's words and seemed...a bit less guarded now. It appeared that her words about letting her do what she needed to do had managed to reassure her a little, he biggest reason of course being that they had been said in the angel's presence. "All right, not the word choice I would have liked, but I'll take it. Moving on, what info do you have regarding other shard holders? What do they look like? Are any hostile? Are any of them looking to steal more shards? Do you know what abilities their shards have? Also if this doesn't break the terms, I would like to know how you found out about this whole mess."

The Cathera wanted to know about the other shard holders for several reasons, but one of the biggest was to know if they be more likely an ally or an enemy. Victi may not be the only one looking to steal shards after all. As for asking about Victi's source of information, well aside from it being potentially useful to have during this situation, she had an ulterior motivation as well. Simply put, she wanted to know how she gathered this information so she could better hide herself from the attention of grown ups once the situation was over with. After all, there was a chance Thalia wouldn't be so willing to overlook her if they were both still alive once everything was over and done with.

That being said, she was dreading having to answer Thalia's questions, but not for the reason one might think. The real reason was because she was concerned about Thalia's underlings and especially Liliath hearing the answer to a certain probable question. Quite frankly, it was possible that they would be panicked if they had some of the information that she did. All Adriannu could hope for was if that question came up, that the angel and Thalia would be amenable to going somewhere more private. Ideally, she'd like to leave the decision of whether Lilath should be informed or not to Thalia, since she thought the woman might have a better idea as to how the girl would react.

"Most of what I know is what Liliath told me," Thalia sighs, "Two she seems to consider friendly, herself, and I'm guessing you. I have next to no intel on this situation, which is why I'm talking to you. There are suspicions about two other objects, but the wizard who could actually tell me about that has gone missing, and my inquisitor who was involved is still passed out from exhaustion and blood loss. The only other thing is apparently some working girl seeing a message that the man who hired her got, some kind of illusion spell showing a fox-like creature of some status explaining something about the shards and an evil sorceress, and a lot of gold involved. Needless to say, a terrified civilian who saw this just as she woke up isn't the most reliable source of information. He's apparently a Chimeran mercenary, though."

"As for the shards themselves.... The old texts I'd gotten to read at the library are all I know, and most of them just say that each controls a part of the world, and together they control it all," she continues, "I only found out about this when a trader brought Liliath to a church I had a feeling I needed to visit. Turns out I was early, but my omen was right eventually. Then again, as High Inquisitor this would have come to my attention eventually. It's more or less my job to be involved in these messes."

"I'm mostly wondering the same things you are: I'd like to know anything you do about the other shard holders, any warnings you got, and this sorceress, the natures of the shards and their effects, and some details of your involvement. Don't give me your life story, I'm honestly not up to dealing with that right now, but the relevant details," she says, listing off her information requests, "After that, and possibly requests for some added detail on a couple things, we can be done."
Naida (played by The)

Naida listens intently to Geoff, her excitement only growing despite the mage's... well, slightly depressing life. "That sounds amazing! The only way we really travel is teleportation, and that makes my stomach hurt... So, will you be wanting to get home soon?" She asks the question tentatively, afraid her would leave her. "Or maybe you could come on an adventure with us? I love adventure! And maybe you could teach me some magic things... that way you don't miss your job too much." She adds the suggestion cheerfully, but still cautious. She had, for whatever reason, become very attached to Geoff.

While the fairy continues pressing her luck with the mage, Ren smiles at Drake. His use of "Honeybunny" was quite expected; how could anyone pass up an opportunity like that? Her goal was, in fact, to help him calm down a bit. Annoying people always did the trick for her. "Um, Drakie?" Ren says, slightly confused. She had noticed something moving in his hair. She reaches out her hand and pulls the small mantis off of his ear. "Sorry, you had this on you."

Before Ren can do anything with the poor, beaten up little mantis, Naida notices from across the fire: "BUG PAL!" She quickly flutters over to Ren and snatches up the little thing. She proceeds to talk to it in a tiny baby voice, and things like "Oh you poor little baby" and "Don't worry, we got you now" could be understood. She starts back to her seat, but decides against it and walks to Isabella instead. She gently lets the mantis crawl onto the girl's shoulder and says, "Our bug pal, friend," before heading back to her seat.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" she asks to Geoff, now remembering that she had actually been in a serious conversation.
Drake
Drake's dimpled grin on his chiseled, deeply-toned face grows as Isabella snatches the candy from his open palm and tosses it into her mouth. She lifts her gaze up to meet his own a she munches on his "gift." His eyes are large with lifted outside corners, warm burnished-gold irises set ablaze in soft, flickering orange by the fire, and cat-like slit pupils widened into ovals to make up for the room's dimness.

He looks at her closely, taken aback at how innocent she is. Such a short time ago, she was interrogating one of Telmarune University's mages at the point of a deadly arcane hand and he had almost no problem accepting her as one of shard holders. Now she's literally just a child, a sweet girl who has no idea what trouble she's gotten into. Beneath his dedication to finishing the job, he quietly, genuinely, cares about her safety.

As she looks down, clutching the basket and shuffling closer to him, his eyes trail toward her spellbook, the Maleficis Mihi. He's not all that interested in the book itself, but the black sliver of clay she'd tucked inside it earlier. He narrows his eyes and strokes the blonde fur trailing from his fuzzy ears to thin out near his chin- a unique gesture thanks to the unique partial coat that inspired Naida and now also Ren's goddamn nickname -and starts searching for a way to turn the discussion toward the Bloodied Vase's shards.

But speak of the devil, Ren addresses him again. Not only that, she reaches toward his face. Instinctively, his strong, calloused hand flies to grab her wrist before she can touch him anywhere, and he's about to ask what on earth she thinks she's doing when he feels an uncomfortable creeping tickle on the back of one of his ears. The mercenary shudders, loosening his grip enough for Ren to pluck a shockingly disheveled green mantis from his ear.

"Huh?" Drake watches, one eyebrow lifted in utter confusion as Naida shouts ecstatically, snatches the insect from Ren's hand, and coos at it with a comforting baby-talk voice as if she'd just been reunited with a long-lost pet, before guiding it to crawl onto Isabella's shoulder. He watches the fairy flutters back to her seat and tries to finish chatting with Geoff, and he rolls his eyes, exasperated. They all have no idea. This is ridiculous, even for him.

"Hey," he starts, choosing to forgo subtlety. "It's great your uh...'bug pals' is alright, but as you've probably guessed," he jabs his finger toward Ren- she's the only one between the three of them who's probably guessed -"We all, except that bookworm you also kidnapped, have an artifact in common. Care to talk about it?"

Geoff
Geoff furrows his brow, a little startled at the fae's growing excitement, and even more shocked by her question. "Well," he tugs at the collar of his robe, chuckling nervously. "You see..."

In truth, he is secretly hoping he might be able to sneak away soon and report whatever he learns to the University and Telmarune's authorities. Naida's curiosity, cheerful energy and interest in his life is kind of endearing, and Ren so far has been polite, relatively speaking. But between Isabella's hostility, which even now that she seems harmless, is rubbing off on the more consistently threatening Chimeran mercenary, and the tension he's picking up between the group's members, the wizard is far from inclined to go on an adventure with them.

The easy answer would be the one that she obviously wants to hear, but it'd be a bald-faced lie, and Geoff can't bring himself to do that to her. He heaves a sigh and tries to let her down easy. "That sounds lovely, but I-"

His heart sings a tune of sweet relief when a miracle occurs involving a green praying mantis revealing it had survived a long, perilous journey clinging to Drake's head, which distracts the fairy enough that she hopefully forgets what they were talking about. By the time she turns back to Geoff, the mercenary brings up the mysterious "artifact," which he, in fact, is a little interested in too.

"I....was saying we should talk about...what he said, first."
Kuro (played by dantefrancis)

Kuro, for what it seemed to halfway through the day, decided to set up camp. However, he needs food and he knows that a sword isn't really good for hunting. So by using a stick and fiber from a tree, rocks from the ground, feathers from a bird's nest, he made himself a club, a bow, and a few arrows."Guess being a tribe paid off...Now, what should I hunt?"He went through the list and just decided that whatever he catches, he catches.But he isn't going to wait for night to fall.

So he goes into the forest, keen to catch something. He looked and listen for the signs. Prints in the dirt, clipped moss, the rustle of the bush, all while he kept himself hidden from sight.

Near Kuro

Kuro, sadly, doesn't find what might be referred to as game. Well, he does find the half-dissolved corpse of a deer in a bit of a divot in the ground, but that isn't exactly edible anymore. Around it, each a few meters away, are about a half dozen strange slug like creatures. Their roughly twenty centimetre long bodies, while obviously flexible and squishy, look like they're made of some kind of shard-edged black glass, shapes defined by triangular surfaces that shift constantly as they move, looking half-way between slime and crystal. Initially not seen, tiny arms extend from under their bodies, grabbing seeds and bugs and stuffing them into their faces, not bothering with a mouth as much as just forcing them into their rigid-yet-gelatinous forms. Interestingly, they don't seem interested in the deer, nor the bark of the tree one is crawling up, nor the grass.

A glance says they're not from here, and much more than that says that they are definitely not natural. Looking for too long gives a primal feeling of discomfort, that something is wrong about these strange little creatures. The grass in the divot the deer corpse is in looks burnt, and there's a harsh, bitter scent in the air. With twigs scattered on the ground as well, it almost looks like something fell through to here from somewhere....

Adriannu listened as Thalia spoke, but was ultimately rather disappointed by what she had to say as the inquisitor apparently had very little information that she didn't already know. However perhaps there was one way she could get something useful out of her. "Honestly, I knew just about everything you told me already. That being said, I think there is still a way I can get something useful out of this and you'll benefit from it too so I trust you'll forgave this little delay on my part." With that, she removed her back from her back and removed the books Lisa had entrusted before putting it back on her back again"My other companion, Lisa, before she was taken away, entrusted these books to me. However...I don't know how to read. So how about this, I give these to you and you read out loud everything in them regarding the shards. I don't know if I will learn anything new, but it's worth a shot."

Assuming Thalia was willing to agree to her terms, the Cathera would come back down from her perch and hands the books over to her. "After you finish reading, I'll be willing to answer your questions, though...might I ask for some privacy? I feel like this place might be a bit too public for sharing what I know." Adriannu said and while she was facing Thalia, her eyes were pointedly looking towards Liliath as she hoped the woman would pick her subtle message that it was Liliath that she was concerned about overhearing. Of course she did have to hope that even if her message was received, that the inquisitor would take her seriously enough to know that she had a very good reason for making this quest.

As for the Angel of law presiding over these proceedings, they would know that the little huntress wasn't trying to weasel out of answering, but genuinely making a request for privacy. Personally this was something the Cathera hoped would make Thalia more inclined to grant her request.

"I told you I don't know much about this," Thalia replies, making a wide gesture with her arms, "We haven't exactly had time to do in depth research or perform the Inquiries we'd need to."

Upon seeing the books, Thalia smiles slightly and crosses her arms. "That's actually perfect, with her missing we should probably return those to the library, and I was planning on asking the dragon some questions in any case," she explains, sounding pleased, "He would have seen Lisa as she left, and I didn't get the chance to do much reading myself when we were there before I was interrupted. I'll give them a read there, Cornelius has some rooms I doubt he'd mind us borrowing, given the circumstances."

Thalia didn't miss the look on Adriannu's face; the High Inquisitor had seen people come as bearers of bad news enough times to recognize when someone wanted to avoid having their colleagues catch wind of a bad situation. Well, Liliath and Cornelius had gotten along before and... Oh, that was brilliant!

"For the sake of efficieny, I think we need to divide information gathering," Thalia declares, "Liliath, when we get to the library, if you could ask Cornelius about anything he's figured out about the situation while I do this reading session with Adriannu I'd appreciate it. I swear that dragon figures things out as quickly as a room full of divination wizards, and I have a feeling he hasn't been idle since we left."

With that, she begins walking toward the library, hoping the girls will approve of her strategy, just for the sake of simplicity. Adriannu's possibly ulterior motives aside, this seemed like the strategic approach to the Inquisitor.
Liliath who had decided to stay quiet during most of the talking. Finally spoke up ”Yes I will! I wish I was a better reader otherwise I could have helped Adri to. Maybe Cornelius knows how we get Lisa back, I do hope so.”

Liliath walked happily after Thalia ”Adri, maybe Cornelius or Lisa can learn you how to read.”
Kuro (played by dantefrancis)

Kuro would walk about 40 meters before seeing the deer."Jesus...Something killed it, but what brought the slugs?"Kuro would look at the deer, and poked it with the club a few times, then bash its head in just to make sure it stays dead.

However, Kuro feels dread from inside.Something ain't right. Slugs don't look right, but when you look further, THEY DON'T NORMAL SLUGS. Kuro would at the slugs and say, "I really hope you slugs don't get offended when I say you an abomination..."Kuro would then notice the smell.Ok, something has been here. Ate the deer halfway, then left. I don't see tracks, so either I'm blind or it's a flying critter.But who brings slugs?

Kuro would sigh and say,"Please don't let it be a cave dweller..."

In Telmarune

For the second time today, Thalia opens the door to the Library of Telmarune accompanied by Liliath and a girl with pointy ears.

Funny how things go, she thinks to herself as she allows them in.

"Cornelius," she says, speaking perhaps a bit loudly for the library's normal, "Beyond even fire, the situation has become a good deal more complex than originally thought. We have some books to return after I read through the relevant sections with, apparently, a friend of the chimera from last time. Said chimera is now missing, by the way."

She smiles tightly before asking, "Would you be kind enough to let us borrow a study room for this reading? Liliath has some important questions for you, as well as possibly some answers for you, in the mean time."

In the Forest

One of the crawling critters changes its course slightly to approach Dante.

Discovering a boot and a pant leg, it proceeds to ignore him. Eating those would just increase the chances of a significant event!

The creature returns to eating seeds for now.

Upon having the chance to examine the deer, while disolved and slightly burnt, it doesn't look like anything has clawed or bitten it. Additionally, it's remaining skin is slippery, and the fat on its body seems to have been converted into particularly poor soap-like fluids, as if exposed to vast quantities of lye and high heat.
"Hello Cornelius." Liliath waved excitedly to him "Oh yes questions. About you know what." Liliath whisperd a bit "Thalia needed me to ask, if you had figured out anything about the situation." Liliath continued to whisper. "We all must know, but I am allowed to ask." She said a bit louder and more excited than before.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Bloodied Shards IC (CLOSED!)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus