Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Random Thoughts

How are we supposed to prove that anything we have seen or heard is truth? I mean, I could tell you I was born in *blank*, and my birth certificate says so to, but how do you know? Because it's possible that all truths are lies. Because there's really no definite way of proving it. Especially with how imaginative people are. Optical illusions. Slight of hand.
you need to eat 50,000,000 bananas to die of RADIATION POISONING.
AliRevellian wrote:
How are we supposed to prove that anything we have seen or heard is truth? I mean, I could tell you I was born in *blank*, and my birth certificate says so to, but how do you know? Because it's possible that all truths are lies. Because there's really no definite way of proving it. Especially with how imaginative people are. Optical illusions. Slight of hand.

There are... a lot of schools of philosophy centered around the question of whether or not perception is reality. Unfortunately, there is an equal or greater amount of scientific evidence that perception is unreliable, and even easy to distort.
What do you trust when you can't trust anything?
Generally the answer is that even if an individual has a warped perception of reality, a group is more likely to form a solid and consistent consensus. Thankfully, humans are adapted to work in groups, so we can pool our knowledge and experiences to find the truths which we can prove, and ground each other.
Even if our understanding of those truths evolves, their progression can be logically reasoned out. A clear, demonstrable continuity of events does a lot for a species which must reside in linear time.

Which means it probably really sucks to be a 4D being that navigates time as easily as we navigate 3D space. I wonder what their shower thoughts are like...
I was totally mesmorized watching an ant nest mound today when I went for a walk. I dropped a cheeto on it and they went crazy! When O came back by about twenty minutes later they had devoured all but a small end. I randomly thought about all the complaints of yellow cheeto dust inside the nest, lol.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Random Thoughts

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus