Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What do you find challenging to create?

Lumaslily

For me, it is writing a personality and backstory without being self-deprecating.

I also have no idea how to roleplay in a sci-fi setting which is weird because I like science fiction stuff like Star Wars. But advanced technology is just too complicated for me.

....and I can't describe a setting to save my life so there's that.
MasterWinter Topic Starter

Lumaslily wrote:
For me, it is writing a personality and backstory without being self-deprecating.

I also have no idea how to roleplay in a sci-fi setting which is weird because I like science fiction stuff like Star Wars. But advanced technology is just too complicated for me.

....and I can't describe a setting to save my life so there's that.

At the moment I do not know, sadly, how to be of help.

I can, however, offer up my forum titled: Winter's Writing Tips

I've been through the first two pages, and I haven't come across anything that might be of help to you. Though there are couple more, or so, pages after page 2. Maybe you'll find something. Maybe not.

I hope you will have some luck!
Tough guys, rebels (particularly of the thrill seeking variety), and joke/comedic characters. Of those, I think joke/comedic characters are the most difficult to create and play well, but I have a lot of trouble with all of them.
Passive naive archetypes, even the aesthetic can evade me. I'm inherently pragmatic and bullish so characters that aren't proactive are a challenge.
RimCaster

Actually what I think I struggle or struggled was that my character's particularity my main three male(Blake, Rey, Alex) were similar or rather they hadn't any distinguishing trait that could make them different, although I think my intention was to make them similar and show the path they took so they would have ideological conflict.
It’s a rather...stupid thing I think- more of a mental block than me actually not being able to write/create it, but still, I find it very, very difficult to create Western characters. It just feels like- I know very little of western culture, and I am not as familiar with the mindset of western people because well- i don’t have many chances to actually talk and really get to know western people in real life.

While I know people will be people and I can always just...research it along the way, but I don’t know, every time I try to create a western character it is as if I hit a wall.

That, as well as assertive characters- confident characters I can fake, but I am not actually very assertive, or active in real life, especially in conversations so that reflect in my writing I think, in particular, how the characters react to other characters. I try, but I still think it is rather difficult to write really, really assertive characters still.

This is a really interesting question really, I never actually thought about it until I saw this thread. XD
Novus

I have found that my greatest challenge is creating - and playing - toons that are very whimsical, or bubbly, as you put it. In the past, I've roleplayed... two of this type, and both were women. One was a temporary OC, and I have played the other just recently. She was created maybe four or five years ago, but is only brought around occasionally.
Birdy99 wrote:
It’s a rather...stupid thing I think- more of a mental block than me actually not being able to write/create it, but still, I find it very, very difficult to create Western characters. It just feels like- I know very little of western culture, and I am not as familiar with the mindset of western people because well- i don’t have many chances to actually talk and really get to know western people in real life.

While I know people will be people and I can always just...research it along the way, but I don’t know, every time I try to create a western character it is as if I hit a wall.

That, as well as assertive characters- confident characters I can fake, but I am not actually very assertive, or active in real life, especially in conversations so that reflect in my writing I think, in particular, how the characters react to other characters. I try, but I still think it is rather difficult to write really, really assertive characters still.

This is a really interesting question really, I never actually thought about it until I saw this thread. XD
What do you mean by western?

The Anglosphere is a murky place, my friend. Even in the same western country there can be large differences in culture, and sometimes when I come across American characters, I'm so impressed with how they're written but I always feel I'll miss the context of their mannerisms/behaviours because I have 0 experience of the area. I think by framing it all as "western" you're giving yourself a huge, difficult task which sounds like the cause for your mental block. Have you got a particular place you want to tie your western character to? Anywhere you have even the slightest connection to? If not you could always just ask a friend ( ͡☉ ͜ʖ ͡☉) whenever you're not sure about a specific thing you're writing.

I've seen some cool US characters who have a certain vibe about them because they're clearly tapping into nostalgia for the area they're from but then I always feel like I'll miss the context because I just don't have any experience living in those places. Kind of off topic but I was playing GTAV which apparently is modelled California and all I can say is "oh, that's nice" and attempt to remember that one summer in that state. Then I had laugh reading a character written by an American who clearly just wanted a quirky accent on their British girl. They were going for a small town village girl vibe while picking a specific accent that isn't known for being friendly/cute (...at all) and then said she grew up in London without being able to reconcile all those details, so as a native it was totally unbelievable and the character came across like the average young London urbanite with an accent inexplicably from the other end of the country.
SunnyD wrote:
What do you mean by western?

Every country within the Europe/Americas continent I guess XD
Quote:
The Anglosphere is a murky place, my friend. Even in the same western country there can be large differences in culture, and sometimes when I come across American characters, I'm so impressed with how they're written but I always feel I'll miss the context of their mannerisms/behaviours because I have 0 experience of the area. I think by framing it all as "western" you're giving yourself a huge, difficult task which sounds like the cause for your mental block. Have you got a particular place you want to tie your western character to? Anywhere you have even the slightest connection to? If not you could always just ask a friend ( ͡☉ ͜ʖ ͡☉) whenever you're not sure about a specific thing you're writing.

I think the ‘asking the friend’ idea is much more...doable. ( ✧≖ ͜ʖ≖)

But I admit, I have never been to any country outside of Asia actually- I plan to, but not for a while at least XD I think it is sort of like- I don’t have a mental image of the place my character should be in, so I can’t properly imagine how may character will react? I don’t know, maybe I can try watching more documentaries to deal with that? Σ(-᷅_-᷄๑)
Quote:
I've seen some cool US characters who have a certain vibe about them because they're clearly tapping into nostalgia for the area they're from but then I always feel like I'll miss the context because I just don't have any experience living in those places. Kind of OTT but I was playing GTAV which apparently is modelled California and all I can say is "oh, that's nice" and attempt to remember that one summer in that state. Then I had laugh reading a character written by an American who clearly just wanted a quirky accent on their British girl. They were going for a small town village girl vibe while picking a specific accent that isn't known for being friendly/cute (...at all) and then said she grew up in London without being able to reconcile all those details, so as a native it was totally unbelievable and the character came across like the average young London urbanite with an accent inexplicably from the other end of the country.

Wow you put it down so nicely- that is exactly what I’ve been feeling I think. It’s like, I know I’ll the context, and sometimes, slangs and jokes just go completely over my head. Having a too-serious character usually makes it seem intentional though XDD
But that sounds hilarious lol, a friendly and cute girl...with a really rough accent...I think I’ve met someone like that before lolol 😂😂😂
I find doing character development to be very hard, for example: I do not know how to start a character friendship very well because the main part in character development, is character friendship
Non-alpha male males. I can write men who are alpha males easily, but I struggle to make shy male characters interesting. But I can make shy female characters interesting.
Characters whose intuitive response to situations don't align with yours. It's hard to portray vulnerability when your kneejerk response as a writer is self deprecation and steel walls.
I write several types of characters, I think, but for some reason I can only manage to do one per genre it seems like. Like I cant use the same character i Use for cuddles for fantasy for whatever reason. And plus I have a tendency that all of my characters sound the same- I mean on my character profiles I think literally all of them are described in almost exactly the same way.

I just have a type I guess.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What do you find challenging to create?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus