Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Thanksgiving

Skylar_woods

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I hope everyone's day is going well- even if you dont celebrate it! Regardless of what day it is, there are plenty of things you're grateful for, yeah?

I know I am very grateful for this site and all the people who contribute to make it so much better for everyone..

What are you grateful for?

-Sky :)
Mipps

Happy Thanksgiving!

Im grateful for man who loves me through thick and thin. <33

And im thankful for Abigail Austin (here on this site) who has been there for me as a long distance friend. <3

And im grateful for an understanding family Because i couldn't go home for the holiday this year <3
I'm also really grateful for RPR and for the wonderful folks I've met through it (bonus thanks to Kim for creating it and Mist for suggesting it to me), and for how the community and especially Kim and the mods have brought back a lot of my faith in humanity.

And I'm thankful that I only had to deal with one phone call yesterday (it was my birthday) instead of several since most of the folks who want to talk were already gathered in prep for today. Although I can blather on for extended periods on the phone, I don't actually like phone calls (with rare exceptions).

And y'know... I'm thankful for my aunt who's trying to be a good queer ally despite a lifetime of circumstances pushing her against it. She's the only member of my family who's actually reached out to honestly try to understand. (And that's even though I'm not the only queer person in my family.)
I don't celebrate Thanksgiving but I am truly grateful for MANY things in my life, especially my mom who supports me no matter what, and of course RPR where I have found tons of friends!! <3
Happy Thanksgiving and good idea for a post. I'm thankful for my health, and for the fact that my mom is improving slowly. I'm also thankful for Sandra. I'm thankful my friends -- both online and offline, such as Mipps, who was super nice to do a shout out just now, and who is super awesome. Also all my other favorite RpR friends--including one I hadn't heard from in a long time. And yes, thankful for Kim, the mods, and the creative buzz of artistic minds and hearts on this site. And for it not being cold here.
Sanne Moderator

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here either. My roomie used to celebrate it with his family, but he doesn't really care and we just focus on having a nice relaxed day. :)

My appreciation also goes out to him though. He's my best friend and has stuck with me through thick and thin these past couple of years, helping me get through really rough patches and improving my self-esteem and resilience! He's also been tremendously helpful in my classes, as our interests are very similar and he's able to be my unofficial tutor. I think I've become a better person partly due to him, and I'm immensely grateful for that.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

I'm thankful for the 2 men in my life. My fiancee and my German shepherd duke. My parents my 3 little sisters. My Lakota girlfriends of enternal sisterhood of friendship faithfullness and loyalty. All my RPRepository friends you know who you are. Kim and all the moderators.
You know what's kind of amusing is how much we all sound like we're giving a speech after winning an Oscar at the Academy Awards. XD
I don't celebrate, but still make nice food to treat myself and my dad, so I'm thankful for not having to get dressed, do my hair, or hang out with shitty fake family, but still getting to eat a good dinner. ^-^

I'm also thankful for sooo many people on this website.

I'm thankful for all the people from RPR I've commissioned art from this year:

Birdy99, DarkCrow, Kruhee, InquisitorCat, Sylvirr, Claine, Nineforalostgod, f0x1nth3b0x.

There might be a few more so I'm sorry if I'm forgetting you! <3 <3

I feel super privileged to be able to commission and adopt art from these people, and be gifted art from some of them as well. They are all so talented and I hope to work with them throughout my entire life.

I have to give a few special shutouts to some of my RP partners I am feeling very very grateful for today:

Dndmama, DarkCrow, Honeyandthemoon, Atrevida, CatalinaRose, Novus, Kamui, sct, Mayiamaru, ChocolateIceCream, JulieL, RedHeadSamurai23

Okay so maybe a lot. I love you all, including those of you my brain just couldn't conjure up right now. <3 <3

In IRL I am super thankful for all the supportive people around me, who support me and my career as an author and understand when I am feeling down and struggling. I am very thankful for my dad, who even though we have our rough moments, is here for me more than anyone else.
This year I’m thankful for my amazing fiancé who puts up with me (because seriously, I’m not an easy person to live with at all ).

I’m grateful for all the people I’ve met over the year and for having the strength to walk away from certain other people and situations when they conflicted with my wellbeing.

I’m grateful for improving my bond with my mother as well as my mental health.

I’m grateful for writing, roleplaying, learning Spanish and finding RPR.

A special shoutout goes to Abigail_Austin for having wonderful conversations and showing me what an amazing and understanding person she is. We don’t talk that often anymore due to a long break I took but even though this is not the holiday to make resolutions, I do aim to pick up our conversations because I miss her.

Another “muy” special shoutout goes to Voldarian_Empire for always being there for me, supporting me, helping me, listening to me and putting up with me. He’s the most amazing friend and I’m so grateful that I’ve met him and that I got to keep such an awesome person in my life. I really don’t deserve him but I wouldn’t know what to ever do without him. I’m so happy that I get to be a part of his life as he is a part of mine and I hope that this is indeed a friendship that will last a lifetime. Here’s to you, platonic hubs! Yo te aprecio mucho! <3
SylOfficial wrote:
This year I’m thankful for my amazing fiancé who puts up with me (because seriously, I’m not an easy person to live with at all ).

I’m grateful for all the people I’ve met over the year and for having the strength to walk away from certain other people and situations when they conflicted with my wellbeing.

I’m grateful for improving my bond with my mother as well as my mental health.

I’m grateful for writing, roleplaying, learning Spanish and finding RPR.

A special shoutout goes to Abigail_Austin for having wonderful conversations and showing me what an amazing and understanding person she is. We don’t talk that often anymore due to a long break I took but even though this is not the holiday to make resolutions, I do aim to pick up our conversations because I miss her.

Another “muy” special shoutout goes to Voldarian_Empire for always being there for me, supporting me, helping me, listening to me and putting up with me. He’s the most amazing friend and I’m so grateful that I’ve met him and that I got to keep such an awesome person in my life. I really don’t deserve him but I wouldn’t know what to ever do without him. I’m so happy that I get to be a part of his life as he is a part of mine and I hope that this is indeed a friendship that will last a lifetime. Here’s to you, platonic hubs! Yo te aprecio mucho! <3

Awww...I see you, Syl. *gives you a hug* It's nice to see you posting again, but rest assured I understand how important breaks are! Glad you're feeling refreshed. Three cheers for V_Empire.
sarah18394729

I am gratefull for

1. Dishwashers.
2. Netflix's holiday specials.
3. My parents—because no matter how old you are, they can still solve any problem.
4. Fireplaces.
5. The local farmer’s market.
6. The time you get to spend re-reading your favorite books, even if you mask it as “bedtime stories.”
7. Roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin pie, and all of the fall flavors.
8. Sweater weather.
9. Sunday afternoons with coffee and a good book.
10. Big piles of leaves that you’re never too old to jump in.
11. Slow-cookers.
12. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee.
13. Wine. Wine. Wine.
14. The best friend you can call after months apart and pick up right where you left off.
15. Friendsgiving—the chance for two Thanksgiving dinners.
16. Pillows.
17. Quirky traditions that make your family special.
18. Google.
19. Planes, trains, and automobiles—because they bring you to family or bring family to you for the holiday.
20. Holiday recipes that have been passed down through the family for years.
21. Pints of ice cream.
22. Homemade pumpkin pie.
23. Pumpkin pie filling from a can (we won’t tell!).
24. Your health—even on days when it isn’t perfect.
25. Peanut butter.
26. Chocolate.
27. Every good book you’ve read that has helped you escape for a few hours.
28. The coziest spot in your house.
29. The stash of Halloween candy you snuck out of your kids' bags.
30. Garbage disposals.
31. Younger siblings you still get to protect and older ones who will always protect you.
32. Mason jars, and the Instagram DIY inspiration you can't wait to try making yourself.
33. Puppies!
34. Delivery food.
35. The presents you have hidden away, knowing they will make your loved ones so happy.
36. Friendships, new and old.
37. Your support system—be it at work, at home, or spread out all over the country.
38. Correct grammar.
39. The second royal wedding.
40. Apple cider cocktails.
41. Cocktails, in general.
42. The snooze button.
43. Sweatpants. And elastic waistbands.
44. Cheese. Cheese plates. Macaroni and cheese. Grilled cheese.
45. Caller I.D.
46. Laundry machines.
47. The people in your life who have been stand-in mothers and fathers whenever you’ve needed them.
48. Color-coordinated office supplies.
49. Baby giggles.
50. Snail mail.
51. Family vacations.
52. Your nieces, your nephews, your grandchildren.
53. Wool socks.
54. The healing power of music.
55. Freshly cut flowers.
56. Headphones on the subway.
57. Vacation days.
58. Fall leaves changing colors.
59. Early sunsets because they bring your kids to the kitchen table sooner.
60. A Cookie-a-Day Calendar.
61. Chocolate cereal with coconut milk.
62. Cats that have finally been trained to drink from water bowls instead of toilet bowls.
63. Air fresheners.
64. Spaghetti squash.
65. The hours between 8 pm and 10 pm when everyone is asleep and the house is quiet.
66. Taxis.
67. Babysitters who also clean up.
68. Spellcheck. (But not Autocorrect.)
69. Your new puppy—who finally learned to sleep in.
70. Candles that make your home smell like the holidays.
71. This giant cookie cake.
72. Movies you can watch again and again.
73. Songs that hit the spot on repeat.
74. Healthy children.
75. Peppermint gum.
76. The Weather Channel iPhone app.
77. Mugs that tell it like it is.
78. Sisters who you can run any dilemma by, personal or professional, and get answers that keep you grounded and grant perspective.
79. S’mores and campfires.
80. Lilacs in the spring.
81. Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
82. Blanket forts.
83. A cake that doesn’t stick to the pan.
84. The perfect playlist.
85. Thick albums full of photos.
86. Hot sauce.
87. A continuous string of green lights when you’re already running late.
88. Instant oatmeal.
89. Pretty stationery.
90. A really good hug.
91. Long drives on open roads.
92. A heartfelt thank you note.
93. The last slice of pie.
94. A table full of people who can tell stories from a shared childhood.
95. A scenic running trail.
96. Your child’s hilarious, brutal honesty.
97. A cookbook full of recipes you’ve tried and trust.
98. Holiday sales.
99. A friendly neighbor you can count on for sugar or just a hello.
100. Cozy sheets on chilly mornings.
101. Butternut squash.
102. The smell of lavender.
103. Date nights.
104. The snooze button.
105. Really good co-workers.
106. Belly laughs.
107. The barista who knows your coffee order by heart.
108. Saturday mornings.
109 Snow days.
110. Mason jar salads (yea, we're really into mason jars).
sarah18394729 wrote:
I am gratefull for

1. Dishwashers.
2. Netflix's holiday specials.
3. My parents—because no matter how old you are, they can still solve any problem.
4. Fireplaces.
5. The local farmer’s market.
6. The time you get to spend re-reading your favorite books, even if you mask it as “bedtime stories.”
7. Roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin pie, and all of the fall flavors.
8. Sweater weather.
9. Sunday afternoons with coffee and a good book.
10. Big piles of leaves that you’re never too old to jump in.
11. Slow-cookers.
12. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee.
13. Wine. Wine. Wine.
14. The best friend you can call after months apart and pick up right where you left off.
15. Friendsgiving—the chance for two Thanksgiving dinners.
16. Pillows.
17. Quirky traditions that make your family special.
18. Google.
19. Planes, trains, and automobiles—because they bring you to family or bring family to you for the holiday.
20. Holiday recipes that have been passed down through the family for years.
21. Pints of ice cream.
22. Homemade pumpkin pie.
23. Pumpkin pie filling from a can (we won’t tell!).
24. Your health—even on days when it isn’t perfect.
25. Peanut butter.
26. Chocolate.
27. Every good book you’ve read that has helped you escape for a few hours.
28. The coziest spot in your house.
29. The stash of Halloween candy you snuck out of your kids' bags.
30. Garbage disposals.
31. Younger siblings you still get to protect and older ones who will always protect you.
32. Mason jars, and the Instagram DIY inspiration you can't wait to try making yourself.
33. Puppies!
34. Delivery food.
35. The presents you have hidden away, knowing they will make your loved ones so happy.
36. Friendships, new and old.
37. Your support system—be it at work, at home, or spread out all over the country.
38. Correct grammar.
39. The second royal wedding.
40. Apple cider cocktails.
41. Cocktails, in general.
42. The snooze button.
43. Sweatpants. And elastic waistbands.
44. Cheese. Cheese plates. Macaroni and cheese. Grilled cheese.
45. Caller I.D.
46. Laundry machines.
47. The people in your life who have been stand-in mothers and fathers whenever you’ve needed them.
48. Color-coordinated office supplies.
49. Baby giggles.
50. Snail mail.
51. Family vacations.
52. Your nieces, your nephews, your grandchildren.
53. Wool socks.
54. The healing power of music.
55. Freshly cut flowers.
56. Headphones on the subway.
57. Vacation days.
58. Fall leaves changing colors.
59. Early sunsets because they bring your kids to the kitchen table sooner.
60. A Cookie-a-Day Calendar.
61. Chocolate cereal with coconut milk.
62. Cats that have finally been trained to drink from water bowls instead of toilet bowls.
63. Air fresheners.
64. Spaghetti squash.
65. The hours between 8 pm and 10 pm when everyone is asleep and the house is quiet.
66. Taxis.
67. Babysitters who also clean up.
68. Spellcheck. (But not Autocorrect.)
69. Your new puppy—who finally learned to sleep in.
70. Candles that make your home smell like the holidays.
71. This giant cookie cake.
72. Movies you can watch again and again.
73. Songs that hit the spot on repeat.
74. Healthy children.
75. Peppermint gum.
76. The Weather Channel iPhone app.
77. Mugs that tell it like it is.
78. Sisters who you can run any dilemma by, personal or professional, and get answers that keep you grounded and grant perspective.
79. S’mores and campfires.
80. Lilacs in the spring.
81. Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
82. Blanket forts.
83. A cake that doesn’t stick to the pan.
84. The perfect playlist.
85. Thick albums full of photos.
86. Hot sauce.
87. A continuous string of green lights when you’re already running late.
88. Instant oatmeal.
89. Pretty stationery.
90. A really good hug.
91. Long drives on open roads.
92. A heartfelt thank you note.
93. The last slice of pie.
94. A table full of people who can tell stories from a shared childhood.
95. A scenic running trail.
96. Your child’s hilarious, brutal honesty.
97. A cookbook full of recipes you’ve tried and trust.
98. Holiday sales.
99. A friendly neighbor you can count on for sugar or just a hello.
100. Cozy sheets on chilly mornings.
101. Butternut squash.
102. The smell of lavender.
103. Date nights.
104. The snooze button.
105. Really good co-workers.
106. Belly laughs.
107. The barista who knows your coffee order by heart.
108. Saturday mornings.
109 Snow days.
110. Mason jar salads (yea, we're really into mason jars).

I've just gotta say, it looks like a lot of work went into this list. This is an impressive list. If there was a list contest, you would probably win it. *applauds* I just thought that should be acknowledged. ;)
sarah18394729

Not done ye still have more

Work Stuff
1. Coffee! And tea. And “tassimo lattes.” And “chai tea with almond milk.” And “tea with honey.” And “Hazelnut coffee, just because.”

2. Email! “Being able to instantly communicate with people (strangers even!) virtually anywhere in the world is pretty incredible!” (Only one person sent this one in, for some reason…)

3. “Emails with problems that can be resolved in one sentence.”

4. All of the times you got something done you were procrastinating on.

5. “Having free, open access to knowledge to improve your life.”

6. A daily routine you love, that “gives you energy, pleasure, and the feeling that you use your time for the things that are important to you.”

7. Awesome habits you have already, that “let you level up to have a more productive day, automatically.”

8. Having a job that’s tough, but that pays the bills!

9. The big, badass career decisions you’ve made, like “when I decided to do a PhD.”

10. Having “access to higher education,” “despite how much it may cost!”

11. Pay day!

12. To work in a career that “has meaning to others.”

13. To have a job where “your brain is used.”

14. The ability to work from home—”especially when wearing pajamas, like I am right now.”

15. Books, audiobooks, and blog posts that “push you to think in new ways.”

16. The weekend—”especially when you can disconnect over it to clear your head!”

17. The motivation to tackle big work goals (and personal goals, too.)

18. A job with a view! Like one reader who works for Missouri’s Botanical garden! (She sent all of the pictures of nature in this article! Being from Ottawa, I’m insanely jealous.)

19. Having a friend at work (which is surprisingly great for your productivity).

20. The Arrange button in Powerpoint, that “saves so much time nudging and aligning text boxes.”

PIB_JG_yoshino cherry_sunset_osbo

Health
21. Your good health. (Apart from people, this was by far the most popular gratitude I received!)

22. Living in a safe and happy country or city (a few places around the world that I received: Montreal, Canada; Ottawa, Canada (x2); Valencia, Spain; Venice, Italy (x2); Canada; the U.S. (“despite the political craziness”); Italy; and Japan!)

23. Anxiety—”for letting you know when something needs to change in your life.”

24. Stillness—”even when you only feel it once in a while.”

25. Having time to rest, like by having “an actively inactive weekend.”

26. Your strong values. (One reader: “Though my dad is gone now, the lessons he taught me live on: read voraciously, be curious, march to the beat of your own drum, get your hands dirty.)

27. A healthy family, or at the very least, one that’s “healthy enough!”

28. The chance to become healthier, through diet, exercise, and healthy routines.

29. Having the time, ability, and freedom to learn and try new things.

30. Having a “roof over your head.”

31. Clean drinking water.

32. Taking a warm, clean shower every day.

33. Electricity!

34. The smell and feeling of clean sheets.

35. Your eyesight, and the ability to read articles like this one!

36. Access to good healthcare.

37. Access to healthy food.

smile

People
38. To be alive! (If you’re reading this list, chances are you are.)

39. That you’re your own best friend. (One reader: “now that I’m in my forties, it took me a long time to be nice to me!”)

40. The time to sit down with your family to eat—and that “you have a family, food, and time for each other in the first place.”

41. Having a loving girlfriend, boyfriend, fiancé, wife, or husband; one who is “supportive,” “nurturing,” “that you make a good team with,” and “that multiplies the joy in your life.”

42. Loving friends, who have supported you when you’ve needed them.

43. An awesome roommate (or the great roommates you’ve had in the past).

44. A sibling, especially one “who listens to your problems.”

45. Having people in your life who continually push you to become better.

46. Having a friend who’s an incredible cook! (These are my favorite kind of friends.)

47. Parents, who are loving and supportive, “even when they don’t like your blue hair.”

48. Tinder, “for letting me meet new and interesting people!”

49. Skype, for “how it lets me stay closely connected with family and friends no matter how much distance is between us.”

50. Having a life that’s relatively free of drama!

51. Your favorite teachers, and the support they’ve given you.

52. People in your life who “you have the opportunity to love in return.”

53. Memories, of times with family members and loved ones, whether they’re still around or not.

54. The imagination of kids in your life. (Kids are my favorite people to hang out with, for this reason.)

55. Good things happening to the people you love—like your “daughter’s opportunity to have a week-long winter sports week at her school” or your “son telling you last night how much our last Christmas present improved his life.”

56. Your cool and complex family heritage.

57. Trips with loved ones—ones in the past, or ones coming up!

58. Small, everyday things you do with loved ones, like “going for a beer with my sister tomorrow,” or “getting groceries with my husband tonight.”

59. A supportive church. One reader: “As an Episcopal priest, I’ve served several different types of churches, but where I’m at now is a great church with so many sweet, motivated people.”

60. The freedom to be yourself! One reader: “Until recently, I’ve always had to play by other people’s expectations. Now, I’m finding much more freedom to play by my expectations for myself.”

61. Netflix. (“For obvious reasons.”)

62. Cats! (“For being the best cuddle buddies anyone ever needs.”)

63. Dogs! (For their “boundless love.” And “who gently lean against me and remind me that I’m never alone.” And “who are always so happy to see you come home.”) And the “adorable face of my Ellie sitting next to me [below].”

Ellie

The World
64. “Misty, rainy days.” A few other comments about rain: “I love a good rainy day in the office.” The “subtle smell of warm rain outside,” which, a third reader living in southern Africa mentioned, will “hopefully relieve some of the severe drought we’re having.”

65. “Perfect, crisp, sunny spring weather.” Or, at the very least, that “spring is coming soon.” Or “warm spring mornings with chipper peepers that make it a little less aggravating to get out of bed.” Or the “sun outside in the beautiful city of Venice I am living in.” Or “a beautiful sunny day in Bangalore.”

66. Sunrises, sunsets, and sunshine.

67. “Overcast days that help you slow down and feel conscientious.”

68. Technology, for “making life that much more convenient,” “making it possible to spread knowledge that I can consume,” for “helping me connect with friends around the world,” and “for bringing me access to nearly everything everywhere in the palm of my hand.”

69. The internet! (And “be alive in the dawn of the internet age!”)

70. All of the people who offer to take a picture of you when you’re on vacation.

71. “That there are people in the world who care! About the earth, animals, and human rights (of all kinds)! I love these people.”

72. Clubs you’re a part of—like “your running group,” and “the different societies at your University.”

73. Music—”to relax,” but that’s also “the fabric of your heart, breath, and soul.”

74. That each day and week, at least in some small way, is a new beginning.

75. “The beauty of nature,” that exists whether you’re in it or not.

Japanese Garden Wisteria

Everything Else!
76. Your imagination, that “takes you to places you’ve never been before.”

77. All your life experiences so far—good and bad!

78. Upcoming meals, like “an awesome homemade roast beef sandwich waiting for me to eat at lunch.” Mmmmmmm.

79. That Spiderman exists! “We had a birthday party for my 5 year old this weekend and Spiderman showed up. He was a rockstar!”

80. Owning a car. One reader: “I live in a country where public transport isn’t accessible to everyone [South Africa]. I have one and it connects me to people, places and experiences!”

81. Having no car problems! Or that you own a car in the first place! One reader: “There is nothing like the freedom of a clean car, full gas tank, windows down, music or book-on-tape playing and just driving—that’s my kind of happy.”

82. Opposites! (Since “one must exist in order to comprehend the other.”)

83. That your favorite author wrote your favorite book (in one reader’s case, “that Christopher Paolini wrote Eragon!”)

84. The heart emoji ❤️! (That lets one reader “convey my love to my family, who live very far away.”)

85. The future—for the opportunities it holds, both for you and the people you love.

86. Birthdays! Ones you’ve had, and ones coming up!

87. Cookies!

88. Daffodils!

89. Bananas!

90. Warm socks!

91. Pie! (I sent the newsletter out on Pi Day, and got five of these submissions.)

92. Having “the ability to make a mean grilled cheese sandwich.”

93. Small gaps that give you the chance to slow down—like “having the time to enjoy my tea in the morning.”

94. That “Canada’s new Prime Minister is so handsome“.

95. Laughter! “Especially in hard times.”

96. Nutella.

97. Cows! (One reader: “I’m just generally happy about these animals.”)

98. Having an extra hour of daylight because of Daylight Savings Time.

99. To be “blessed in so many big and small ways, as to be able to take all of the above for granted on a regular basis.”

100. Gratefulness. As one reader put it: “I’m grateful for your invitation to list 5 things—I actually didn’t think about all this before you asked. But now that I have, the feeling is very, very good.”
1. Good Health
Even if your health isn’t great, it could be worse and you likely still have some working parts to be thankful for.

2. Money in the Bank
Having just a few coins makes you richer than most people on Earth.

3. Good Friends
Often, it’s the quality of friendships, not the quantity.

4. Freedom of Religion
Being able to worship whomever and however you want is something many people don’t ever experience.

5. Your Parents
Even if they’re dysfunctional, they gave you life.

6. Weekends
There’s something magical about weekends.

7. Having a Partner
Being in a romantic relationship can teach you so much about the world and yourself.

8. Pets
Pets offer one of the best examples of unconditional love.

9. Learning from Mistakes
If we never made mistakes, we wouldn’t learn much so it is one of those things we should be thankful for.

10. Opportunity to Get an Education
The opportunity to attend school is something many people don’t have.

11. Having a Home
Whether you live in an apartment, a mansion, or a tent, having a place to call home is something to be thankful for.

12. An Ability to Read
If you’re reading this right now, you have a lot to be thankful for.

13. Breathing Fresh Air
Being able to step outside to breathe in fresh air is a good reminder how many little things we should be thankful for.

14. A Bed to Sleep
A bed is one of those things that’s easy to take for granted, until you don’t have one.

15. Laughter
Without laughter, the world would be a sad place.

16. Safety and Security
Being able to wake up without immense fear frees us up to really live life.

17. Cars
Without cars, it would take a lot longer to get our activities done.

18. Sunshine
The sun’s warmth can brighten any day.

19. Time
Although we often don’t think there’s enough of it, time is something we shouldn’t take for granted.

20. Clean Water
Many people on earth lack access to clean water.

21. Cell Phones
Cell phones make talking to loved ones easy.

22. Love
The world sure would be a different place if we lacked the ability to love.

23. Books
Books provide an opportunity to enter another world all from the comfort of your own home.

24. Kindness of Strangers
Never take the kindness of a stranger for granted.

25. Campfires
The simplicity of a campfire creates lifelong memories.

26. Pain
Without pain, it would be difficulty to appreciate life’s joys.

27. Art
The world would be less beautiful if art didn’t exist.

28. Holidays
Any reason to celebrate is something we should be thankful for.

29. Freedom of Speech
Being able to express your thoughts and feelings freely should never be taken for granted.

30. Rainbows
The beauty of a rainbow is unmatched.

31. Tears
Sometimes when there are no words to say, tears express how we feel for us.

32. Waking up Today
Simply waking up today means you have things to be thankful for.

33. Indoor Plumbing
Indoor plumbing not only provides convenience, it spares us from disease.

34. Wisdom that Comes with Age
Thankfully, we grow smarter over time.

35. Mountains
Mountains provide us with beauty and recreation.

36. Eyesight
Being able to see allows us to view the world’s beauty.

37. Grocery Stores
Grocery stores mean we don’t have to spend all of our time getting our own food.

38. Sunsets
Sunsets are a reminder that we should enjoy the simple things in life.

39. Entertainment
Entertainment gives us a way to relax and enjoy life.

40. Your Mind
Being able to think, remember, and solve problems sure makes life easier.

41. Employment
Even if you don’t like your job, being employed means someone thought you were special enough to hire.

42. Diversity
The world would be a boring place without diversity.

43. Moon and Stars
The moon and stars encourage us to dream.

44. Electricity
Electricity makes most of our chores efficient.

45. Air Conditioning
Staying cool on a hot day is something people wouldn’t have dreamed about in past centuries.

46. Hearing
Being able to hear your loved one’s voice is something that not everyone gets to do.

47. Children
Watching children laugh, grow, and dream can keep things in perspective.

48. Ability to Learn
The ability to learn new things means we have endless potential.

49. People Willing to Teach
Whether it’s your grandmother teaching you to knit or your plumber showing you how to prevent future problems, be grateful that others are willing to use their time and talents to teach you something new.

50. Oceans
The sea creatures in the ocean almost seem too mystical to be real.

51. Modern Medicine
Without advances in modern medicine, many of us wouldn’t be alive.

52. Music
Music brings out new emotions.

53. Entrepreneurs and inventors
Some of life’s best inventions resulted from an entrepreneur who was willing to take a risk.

54. Warm Clothing
On a cold day, there’s nothing more important than warm clothing.

55. Freedom to Vote
Being able to have a say in the laws should never be taken for granted.

56. An Internet Connection
It’s hard to believe how easy it is to take the internet for granted, seeing how none of us had just a couple of decades ago.

57. Challenges
Without challenges in life, we wouldn’t be the people we are now.

58. Hiking Trails
Hiking trails give us the chance to enjoy mother’s nature beauty.

59. Vaccines
Many of us wouldn’t be alive without today’s vaccinations.

60. Armed Forces
Our lives would likely be very different if we didn’t have protection from the armed forces.
I am always in a hurry to accomplish something in life.
To reach my goals.
To have the things that I dream about.
To get somewhere that I want to go.
I want to become someone awesome so that I can help change the world.
Unfortunately, in my quest to become awesome and change the world..
I spend a lot of my time focusing on what I don’t have, and I forget to be grateful for what I already have.
Here are 7 things that I am grateful for.
1. I Am Grateful For My Home
“The last time a global survey was attempted — by the United Nations in 2005 — an estimated 100 million people were homeless worldwide. As many as 1.6 billion people lacked adequate housing” — Habitat, 2015
Based on these numbers, about 2% of the world’s population is homeless, and about 20% lack adequate housing.
My family is blessed with a beautiful home. It is not the biggest home in our town. It might even be the smallest, but it is the right size for the three of us.
It keeps us dry when it rains, and it keeps us isolated from the heat of summer and the cold of winter.
I am grateful for my home.
2. I Am Grateful For Safe Drinking Water
“844 Million people are living without access to clean drinking water.” — water.org
More than 10% of the world’s population does not have access to clean drinking water.
I can’t imagine not having access to clean water.
I am grateful that I live in a town where I have an endless source of clean drinking water. I don’t even have to think about it, all I do is open the tap to get safe drinking water.
I am grateful to have safe drinking water.
3. I Am Grateful For Some Money In The Bank
Nearly 1/2 of the world’s population — more than 3 billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day. More than 1.3 billion live in extreme poverty — less than $1.25 a day. — DoSomething.org
Nearly half of the people in the world live on less than $2.50 a day.
I can’t imagine living on $2.50 a day
My family is not rich by any means, but we are blessed to have a few dollars tucked away for an emergency.
I am grateful to have some money in the bank.
4. I Am Grateful For A Healthy Source Of Food
“805 million people worldwide do not have enough food to eat.” DoSomething.org
Most of the people in the world don’t have an adequate supply of healthy food.
They can’t find healthy food.
They don’t have enough to eat.
I am blessed to have an almost unlimited supply of healthy food.
There are a variety of supermarkets, farmers markets and farm stores with a few minutes of my home.
I can choose what and where I want to eat each day.
I am grateful to have healthy food for my family.
5. I Am Grateful For Family
“Family is not an important thing. It’s everything.” — Michael J. Fox
I am blessed with a family who loves and supports me. I can’t imagine going through life without them.
We don’t always agree on everything, but we always love and support each other.
I get to experience life and all that it has to offer with my best friends who also happen to be my family.
I am grateful to be blessed with a family who loves and cares about me.
6. I Am Grateful For My Health
“Without your health, you’ve got nothing going on. I thank God every day for good health.” Ric Flair
I often take out health for granted.
As long my body does what it is created to do I don’t think about it.
If you are like me, you have been blessed with better health that most people in the world.
I know that I have.
Do I get sick sometimes?
Yes, I have even had a couple of serious health issues in my life but now I am doing well. You can read about one of them here.
I try to get plenty of sleep, eat healthy, and exercise most of the time.
I grateful to have a healthy mind and body that allows me to enjoy my life.
7. I Am Grateful For The Mistakes I Have Made.

Be grateful for...
Your pet. Studies show pet ownership increases happiness.

Making the subway just before the doors close. Success!

Good hair days. Humidity is no one’s friend.

Your morning coffee. A cup of joe has outstanding health benefits. Not to mention, it’s a good excuse to catch up with your colleagues before your day begins.

The moment you have exact change. How else are you going to use those pennies?

That movie that always makes you laugh. Laughter has been linked to health benefits ranging from a better immune system to lower blood pressure.

When the bus driver sees you running and waits 10 extra seconds to let you on. No waiting in the rain for you.

When someone sees your hands are full and opens the door for you. Don’t underestimate the power of a small gesture.

Your health. The more you appreciate your well-being, the more you’ll prioritize it. Here are a few things to keep in mind about your health.

Sunny winter days. Many people are subject to the “winter blues” during the seasonal shift, making the blissfully “warm and sunny” days in the middle of the season a precious gift.

Your close friends. Studies show hanging out with your BFF can reduce stress.

The holidays. They don’t call it “the most wonderful time of the year” for nothing. Here’s how to carry the joy of the season with you all year ’round.

Puppy videos. How can you resist this face?

Your favorite TV show. You genuinely can’t help but become invested in the juicy love triangles or the drama. Humans are psychologically wired to get attached to fictional characters.

Adele’s album. Or any emotional piece of music, for that matter. Research shows that you just can’t help but listen to sad songs ― and they have psychological benefits.

The moment when your food comes at a restaurant. Drool.

Your child’s face after they get a present. That’s what pure joy looks like.

Thank you notes. It feels just as good to send one as it does to get one.

Opportunities to volunteer. Research shows helping others doesn’t just make them feel good, but it also boosts your happiness.

Your co-workers. You spend the majority of your weekday waking hours with them. They definitely make that nine-to-five feel more bearable.

When your favorite song comes on the radio at the perfect moment. Admit it, you’ve totally flailed your arms when your jam comes through the speakers. It’s like destiny is on your side.

A great hike. When you’re done, it feels like you’ve accomplished some great feat. Plus, there are serious benefits to spending some time in nature.

A really comfortable chair. Naps welcome (they’re good for you!).

When you wake up before your alarm and get to roll back over. A few more hours to sleep? Score.

Not setting an alarm on a weekend. Score again.

Chocolate. There’s a health benefit to the sweet treat, in case you needed a reason.

When your dog is so happy to see you. Fido not only loves you unconditionally, research shows dogs consider you family and relieve anxiety.

Familial support. They’ve got your back.

Adult friendships. Some things just get better with age. Research shows close friendships help increase longevity.

Getting lost in a good book. Studies show that reading fiction actually make you more empathetic in real life. Here are some suggestions if you’re looking a new novel.

Cozy scarves. Winter means sporting these bad boys all day, every day.

Successfully making a challenging recipe. And then eating it in all its delicious glory. Looking for a new recipe? Try one of these.

Your other half. It doesn’t matter if it’s a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife or just an awesome partner in crime. These relationships boost our well-being.

Vacations. Research shows planning a trip boosts your happiness. Pick a place and head out.

Office-provided snacks. There’s nothing wrong with loving free food.

Alone time. At times it can feel less precious than it truly is. Here’s how to learn to embrace alone time.

December 22nd. That’s when the days start getting longer again. Three cheers for (eventually) more sunlight!

Comfortable shoes. It’s like walking on a pillow.

An awesome boss. Your management plays a big role in your workplace wellness. And the better the workplace, the happier you are.

A favorite night shirt. Or any set of pajamas for that matter. What you wear to bed sets your sleep up for success.

Being a parent. Tiny humans are adorable and hilarious ― but yours are the best, of course.

Being single. Think of how much independence you have. You are not defined by your relationship status.

A great pair of jeans. Talk about a confidence boost.

Sharing a smile with a stranger. Doing so increases your happiness.

Sibling bonds. There’s nothing quite like them. Here’s proof.

A perfectly-made cocktail. Best paired with a Friday night. Try one of these mouthwatering recipes.

Or a really good craft beer. The more seasonal, the better.

Or wine. Whatever you prefer, really.

Your parents. Studies show that calling your mom can reduce stress, so pick up that phone!

Friday nights. Really, is there any better feeling than knowing you have two days free?

Sunday mornings. Perfect for brunch.

Netflix. Kick back, relax and watch a whole season of “Scandal.” You’ve earned it.

Being understood. There are some people who just get you, whether it’s your penchant for being early to every social event or the fact that you cry when you get mad. And that’s awesome.

A great joke. Here’s a free one to share at your next social setting: Why did the Clydesdale get the pony a glass of water? Answer: Because he was a little horse.

Being outdoors. Fresh air and sunshine ― what’s not to like? It also has great mental health benefits.

A great meal with old friends. Research shows sharing a meal is linked to more prosocial and altruistic behaviors.

Cheering for your team. Root, root, root for the home team. Science says being can can improve your health and happiness.

Long weekends. The second best thing next to long weekends? Four-day workweeks.

Sunsets. Those little moments of awe increase feelings of well-being.

The feeling you get after a long run. The runner’s high is real. Or walker’s high, if that’s what you prefer.

Old yearbooks. A blast to the past may be good. Studies show nostalgia may increase feelings of optimism.

Cousins. Or any other extended family that feels like your immediate family, for that matter.

Flowers. They’re aesthetically pleasing and it feels downright great when someone sends you some. What’s not to like?

The first signs of a new season. After a bitterly cold winter, spring sounds like the best thing in the world.

The cold side of the pillow. There’s something oddly satisfying about it.

Having the bed all to yourself. You can basically drool, sleep diagonally, toss and turn or do whatever you want.

Your favorite comfort food. Mac ’n cheese tastes infinitely better when you’re having a bad day, doesn’t it?

Wacky family traditions. You probably have a million popsicle-stick reindeer for your Christmas tree at this point, but they make the holidays unique and give you a laugh, at least.

The moment when you can’t control your laughter. You know you’re not supposed to laugh during this earnings report meeting, but your brain has other plans.

Your favorite place in your house or city. Whether it’s a nook in your living room or Bow Bridge in Central Park, it’s always there when you need a little comfort and time to reflect.

The glee you feel when you find an extra dollar in your bag. Bonus points if you give it to someone who needs it more than you do.

Catching an item someone throws at you. Admit it, you feel a little bit like a superhero when your reflexes are on point.

Snow days. You can either look at it as totally annoying or as an excuse to act like a kid again.

The moment your cat does something silly. Like freaking out over a cucumber, for example.

A good cry. Research shows letting out your emotions can make you feel better than before you even got upset in the first place.

Your favorite scent. There’s just something comforting about it. Plus, certain aromas even benefit your well-being.

A good night’s rest. Is there anything more refreshing? Not to mention it has numerous health perks.

Concerts. Rock. On. Studies suggest that when you spend money on experiences, not material things, you’re happier.

A perfectly ripe avocado. Here are a few ways you can use it.

Opening a present. The fact that someone took the time to put thought into giving you something is a gift in itself.

Sex. Here’s why you should have it as often as possible, from improved relationships to even a few health benefits.

Lunch time. Taking a break from your desk will help improve your productivity. Consider it your midday contribution to your job.

Fun workout classes. It doesn’t matter if it’s SoulCycle, aerial yoga or something else. The more engaged you are, the better the workout.

A long, hot shower or bath. Ahhh, feel the relaxation (and reap the benefits).

Old school songs. Permission to jam out to Boyz II Men? Granted.

A really captivating book. Get lost in a novel ― science says it’s good for your mind.

Random run-ins with your friends on the street. Talk about a pleasant surprise!

Winning a game. Who’s the Scrabble master? You are.

Your favorite school teacher. You know the one: The teacher who inspired you to pursue your career or the one who helped you raise your SAT score. Teachers like this guy.

Hitting every green light on your commute. So long, traffic.

When a package has bubble wrap. It doesn’t matter if you’re 5, 45 or 85, bubble wrap is a universally joyful product. Pop, pop.

Handwritten snail mail. Texting has made letters essentially obsolete, so the gift of real mail should be treasured.

The opportunity to act like a kid again. This may be prompted by some of the aforementioned items (hello, bubble wrap!) but it doesn’t make a difference. Besides, the art of play can boost your well-being.

Surprise parties. There’s something so inherently touching about the fact that your friends spent time thinking of a way to make you happy when you least expect it.

A night in. There’s something calming in having no plans and the only person you have to answer to is the delivery guy knocking on your door.

This helpful button. Sometimes there are situations that call for a giant “NOOOO.” That’s okay.

That feeling you get when you fix something. It doesn’t matter if it’s a pipe in the house or a knot in a necklace, it’s still an accomplishment.

Coloring books. Studies show they’re a good way to relieve stress.

When you accidentally get something for free. No extra $2.50 for guacamole today!

Yourself. You deserve all the happiness and kindness in the world ― don’t forget it.
sarah18394729

OKAY NOWWWWWWWWW I'M DONE!!!!!!!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Thanksgiving

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus