Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » IC Games

Any suggestions? As an example, last night one of my Furcadia Characters held a simple spin the wheel game. Essentially, players spin the wheel and see what number it lands on (OOCly they roll 1d20) and then ICly they received the reward and/or prize. It was wildly successful and I had about 10 participants with numerous people watching.

Do you have an suggestions of any simple In Character games that could be used with dice? Outside of just playing.. well, simple dice. I've found using the Furcadia dice system seems to help make everything more randomized then letting players decide themselves.

I've found it's a really effective way to get people to interact with each other when they might not normally roleplay that person.. at the spin of the wheel they might be required to do something silly with the person on their right. (As an example.)
Kim Site Admin

Oooh, I love this idea.

Does it have to involve dice all of the time, or can any way to randomize somewhat be acceptable?
I can't remember how simple it was, but a couple of years ago around Christmas we had a wildly fun game of "fireball tag" at Northkeep. Go poke Wizard & Earendill for the rules and such, but it was dicey (I really can't remember what exactly the dice were for-- again, go poke Wiz & Ear) and RP-y and fun. And you got points for winning that went towards OoC/IC items of one's choosing if you had enough.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Sounds like an interesting concept, I'll have to think about it, see what games I can come up with using dice rolls :)
Dylan Topic Starter

Dice isn't required! I've just found using dice the cleanest and simplest way to decide things.
Oh yes, fireball tag, that game was just awesome! But it wasn't really IC was it now?
It was kind of half and half, I think? We definitely RP'd stuff out with proper ICness. I remember that.
FIREBALL TAG? I still have the rules laying around somewhere. And we did play it ICly, with enchanted fire. I remember we did it for one of the NK festivals.

For anyone interested: FIREBALL TAG!
Dylan Topic Starter

Copper_Dragon wrote:
It was kind of half and half, I think? We definitely RP'd stuff out with proper ICness. I remember that.

That's pretty much the same with the Spin the Wheel. The game had IC consequences but it had to be organized OOCly and the dice rolls decided the IC outcomes.
Earendill wrote:
FIREBALL TAG? I still have the rules laying around somewhere. And we did play it ICly, with enchanted fire. I remember we did it for one of the NK festivals.

For anyone interested: FIREBALL TAG!

Oooh, that looks quote interesting. I might have a go at that, if it's fine with you? Not sure who came up with the game or who I should get permission from, but I'd link back to it if we give it a go.
Kim Site Admin

I was once in a LARP game where everyone was given a tarot card upon arrival. The object of the game was to collect as many pairs as you could. So if you had the Fool, you'd try to figure out who else was given the Fool and get it from them. You could try to steal it, try to bargain for it, try to butter them up and win them over so they'd just give it to you...

And once you got your own pair, you could try to get even more from other people. It made it so that if you wanted to play, you had to talk to everyone there to find out what card they had. Different characters had different methods of trying to get the cards.

I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to modify for text RP.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

That reminds me of the BSG boardgame. At the start, everyone gets a card that tells them if they are human or a Cylon and they're supposed to keep it secret, so you never know you can trust. If you're human, you have to try and figure out who the Cylons are and stop them from sabotaging the ship. If you're a Cylon, you have to work out who your allies are and blow up the ship.
As far as I can remember me and Wizard came up with the idea. Not sure if anyone else was involved in the process. Anyway, I don't mind if you'd use it and I'm pretty sure if you asked Wizard, he'd say the same. We didn't invent the game to have it waste away in some forgotten corner of the internet ;)
Kim Site Admin

darth_angelus wrote:
That reminds me of the BSG boardgame. At the start, everyone gets a card that tells them if they are human or a Cylon and they're supposed to keep it secret, so you never know you can trust. If you're human, you have to try and figure out who the Cylons are and stop them from sabotaging the ship. If you're a Cylon, you have to work out who your allies are and blow up the ship.

That.... rules. I want to play this immediately.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Kim, it's definitely your kind of game ;)

It's really fun when the "You're a Cylon!" accusations start to fly across the table :)
Ilmarinen Moderator

I missed out on Fireball Tag. :( That was at a time when I couldn't RP very much.

I haven't played the BSG game in forever. It's REALLY fun. The suspense is fantastic. Games can take hours!

As for IC games, Spin the Wheel could be easily converted into Spin the Bottle. ;) The same OOC mechanic, but entirely different IC. (Plus, if this is for TGT... :P) I love to turn on live edit and do treasure hunts, personally, but that tends towards the "OOC fun" end of things. Riddle games are always fun and wouldn't require dice. :rubs chin: I can't think of much else. But I'm very interested in this topic!
Dylan Topic Starter

The only OOC game we did for TGT was.. TGT trivia- everything from IC continuity stuff to who made the local land-shark avatar.. and we handed out random prizes from like 3 GD to cookies or a month avatar. That was fun. I think there was some regular trivia, but people just Googled stuff, so we made it harder by using only things related to TGT.

Spin the bottle is pretty easy as well, riddle games would be good.
Dragonfire Moderator

The BSG game itself sounds similar to Betrayal at House on the Hill. It starts out as a co-operative game, but eventually turns in to one player versus the others, with neither side aware of what the goal of the other side is (unless you've been bad and read all the secret manuals beforehand :p). Or Arkham Horror, I suppose, which is Call of Cthulhu in a board game, 'though that one's more everyone-versus-the-board, and the board cheats.

You could always get something delightfully recursive going! Have your characters roll up character sheets for a tabletop game, or somesuch? :3
Dylan Topic Starter

This is what I ended up doing. We called it the Wheel of Punishment and Reward. It's a bit more adult in a way, as it does have things relating to slavery, but it can easily be edited.
We PS'd it into the Furc dream as well so I don't have to emit who spins and what the reward or punishment is!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » IC Games

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus