Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Hi! Tips for OC-based RPing?

What’s good? I cursorily filled out some profile details—I want to do a little writing during the winter break.

Before, I’ve always made characters as I RP’d them. Do others still regularly do that, or is it better to make characters prior, then finding RPs in a setting that fits them?

In-general, what’s the best way to show interest in an RP and to get started?

Finally, I should also ask, is it recommended to fill out a more detailed bio? I don’t have that much to say... I guess I prefer low-magic settings, and concise, paragraph-format posts. Things like that, would that be good to add to my profile?

Happy to be here!
Rogue-Scribe

Welcome!
A good look through the LFRP forums or the link on the top menu to see what’s on offer currently is a good place to start. As for characters, either way works.

Hope you have fun here!
Hello and Howdy!

I’ve done both before, created a character for a specific RP I was interested in and created characters for the heck of it and found stories for them. I guess it really depends on your style.

If you go to the looking for rp forums, you can get started there. You can also post there that you are looking for an RP and the details or type of story that you want.

As for your profile, you might want to:
    mention the type of stories you like (romance, action, world building, apocalypse, ect.)
    the types of pairings you like (M/M, M/F, F/F, ect).
    Also, any triggers or things you don’t like writing about.

I hope this helps! :D
gremlincore Topic Starter

Good to know! Thanks for the directions, guys. I’ve started browsing through “Looking For.”

I’m not really into shipping/romance stories, with the preferred pairings thing. Is that a big thing here?
Hello and welcome to RP Repository! I'm sure you will enjoy this place, I've been here since only a few months myself and am loving it! ^_^

As for your questions, there are really no rules about character creation. You can either go ahead and create your OCs and look for plots that may lend well to them, or browse the forums for plot bunnies and see if they inspire you to create a character for such setting.

Same goes for bios; no one's telling you how to make one, it must reflect your style and preferences as an author and player! ^_^
Hello there! First tip from me is don't be shy to RP with us! Most important tip, go nuts! (So long as your partner's okay with it :) )
Hi there, little gremlin! Welcome to RPR!
To answer your question, it seems you've already been shown the way towards the looking for RP forum. However, most of the RPs I've started have begun because I greeted some people and, as we had a good vibe, we ended up RPing. I thus encourage you to participate to forum games and other miscellaneous events on the site; that's where I've found the most RP partners so far.

Another big advice I can give you is customizing your profile with your general limits in RP (what you're comfortable doing and not), as well as general likes and dislikes in terms of genres. It's quite helpful to others to be able to look up your profile and say "ah, yes, we seem to be on the same page" or "Mmmmh, no, we clearly don't want the same things".
gremlincore wrote:
Good to know! Thanks for the directions, guys. I’ve started browsing through “Looking For.”

I’m not really into shipping/romance stories, with the preferred pairings thing. Is that a big thing here?

-> You can customize your research to avoid the romance RPs. I've found the site to be pretty balanced on interests, so no worries on that front. If you're not into romance, that's also something I'd suggest putting on your profile.
Also, don't hesitate to ask people for RP. There's a lot of positivity in RPR, and everyone I've met here has been super polite and helpful.
sarah18394729

Well hello to every gender out there my name is Sarah but my Full Name is Katelynn Renee Saraphina Morgan and I am 17 years old about to be 18 Next year March 17, 2021, and I Have been roleplaying on here for a while so I am just here to say my official introduction to any and all players so here we GO!!!!!

Newbies players welcome and hello, and may I personally welcome you to our website that thousands of people from all over the world come to, and just so you know we are like a family community with each player having their own role I am happy you decided to be in our not so little community I hope you are happy to be here

Returning players welcome back my fellow players I am glad that you have returned and may I say that RPRepository has changed so much that now people all over the world have come to this site, we are a family-friendly community and all ages are welcome to our home away from home.

And Because it's almost Christmas for everyone around the world I just wanted to say MARRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!!!!

ALSO, if it's your birthday this month then may I say HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY!!!!!!!!
Darrin Butler (played by Buried_In_A_Book)

I've done that s lot. It aas like learning about my character as situations arose. This is the first one I did where I had a pretty good idea about what I wanted to be. If you like a zombie apocalypse hit ne up 🤣🤣
I personally still typically make characters for a roleplay. I think people tend to expect profiles here, but I don't think a lot of people mind all that much whats on it. I'd look at other profiles for examples!!
Rinny_Howler

Welcome! I'd advise using your interests in your profile and in any RP you decide to post.
hello and WELCOME TO RPR!!!!<3<3<3<3
Hello and Welcome to the RPR Family! 👑❤️

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Hi! Tips for OC-based RPing?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus