Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Posting an ad while active rps are waiting

This is something I've thought about dozens of times. When I have active rps, I feel obligated to catch those up before I post/reply to a new LFRP. I'm not sure if this is inappropriate or not though as I've thought about it recently.

I've come to feel rp is a joy, and obligation shouldn't really play a big part in it....but as an empathic person, I feel guilt when I know someone is waiting on a post from me and I'm wanting to post an ad for a new rp or reply to a posted one I find very attractive.

The benefit to this behavior is it keeps my current rps going....I feel like longer than they would otherwise even. I feel like I appear more reliable as a partner also, and returning to the same rps can help generate the story more.

On the other hand, I've personally forced posts out because of this I know, and while I didn't think they were necessarily bad, I also felt like I could have written better. This also stifles my creativity, I think, because there are times I come up with an idea to pursue and if I don't post it soon, the fire dies and the idea suffers.

In addition, many of my rp partners are on my friends list and will clearly see me posting a new idea knowing they're waiting. The seeds of ghosting floating in their minds isn't something I like.

So I guess I'm curious what everyone thinks about the idea of being caught up on all rps before entering a new one. Is it crazy to do this? Or is that a proper kind of etiquette in roleplay?
So personally, I could never post a new LFRP ad before ensuring that all the active RP's I have going are being replied to and taken care of accordingly. I feel that it could possibly create a bad loop / habit of falling into this cycle of looking for something new when I don't have the motivation to finish what's in front of me. It's easy to get super motivated for a new character and or roleplays, and even fun as it should be with writing to have something fresh. That being said, I think there is some responsibility to be a good partner and at least ensure that your plot is staying healthy if you wish to actively keep writing with someone instead of spending the energy to create a new one. Naturally, I can't imagine it feels amazing for your writing partner to know they are still waiting on a reply and then you are out looking for another writing partner for a different plot.

I think if something is lacking in motivation via writing but other things are appealing it may be time to address the plot you have with said person or people. Good communication can make a roleplay that is six months old feel like a brand new one, even if it means bringing in those fresh new characters to mingle in the plot. This obviously isn't the key for every writing pair, but I do find that usually there is a way to make things super interesting for both parties at most times of the writing. Sometimes though the writing genre or plot just can't match the new idea you have and I get that.

THAT BEING SAID, roleplaying is a hobby at the core, and while it may burn people the wrong way you are still free to be the person you want, write what you want, how you want, with who you want. If you got a new idea, then pursue it if you feel necessary for that creative spark. While I know what I would do in this situation, does not mean it's the same solution for you. Hope I could offer at least a little insight.
I have an issue with getting "bored" with roleplays before they've actually really started, so I'll occasionally post another LFRP if I need something to drag me back to the site so I'll actually respond //wheeze
Personally, if I'm waiting on a reply from someone and they post an LFRP ad, I'm less likely to have a knee jerk "I'VE BEEN GHOSTED!!!" reaction and more likely to take into account how long I've been waiting for a reply.

Ex: If a partner were to tell me I'll get a reply from them once every, say, 1-2 weeks and after a solid month / 2 months they post a new LFRP ad without having posted in our RP for a while? Yes, I'll assume I've been ghosted. If it's been in that 1-2 weeks range (even on the later end) and I see a partner post an LFRP ad, I tend to have a "Eh, they'll get to me in a few days... wonder what the ad's about :D" reaction*

TL;DR - I personally would take context into account, but I know not everyone does that, for whatever reasons they might have.

*Granted, I do have anxiety, so "Have I been ghosted?" is almost always rattling around in my head recently, but that's a me issue xD
Rogue-Scribe

I have to say that Dark Crow’s situation has only happened to me once, and as things turned out it was good that rp I was waiting for a response for ended. Having adapted the ‘archive after reply’ method to my PM role plays here, I tend to forget about the ones that never get replies. I Occasionally sweep through the archives and will send an OOC message to any that I’m really into and see if they are still interested in continuing, but if they want to throw out a new LFRP ad or six before responding, that is fine by me.

I suppose if you have an empathic conscience and it would bother you to put a new ad up while not communicating with current rp partners, then you should at least contact your currents OOC before doing so just for your own peace of mind.
Folklore wrote:
I have an issue with getting "bored" with roleplays before they've actually really started, so I'll occasionally post another LFRP if I need something to drag me back to the site so I'll actually respond //wheeze
I’ve had this happen. Usually when the OOC-planning starts to go more than a few messages and I get the feeling the writing styles may not be all that compatible. I think it may be the reason for the ‘starter and out’ after two or less IC post exchanges.
I've been on the receiving end of waiting for an RP reply and seeing LFRP/seeking ads go up from the person and I think as long as you communicate to the people you're RPing with - let them know that you'll get to their reply soon, that you're looking for something unrelated to the RP going on, trying to set something up for the future, no longer interested in your current RP, etc. - it should be fine. The little bit of extra communication lets them know that you're not ghosting or abandoning the story. Just my two cents!
Hades_

I don't think anyone, regardless of length of time, should be given flack for posting LFRPs. Ideas come and go, and while it's "more polite" to tell someone you're not feeling it anymore or you're still feeling it and just wanting to give yourself some refreshers to get your writing mojo back(whatever the case may be, really) you don't owe anyone anything.

Post your LFRP ads whenever you feel like posting them. You are not required, nor should you be held to an obligation, of getting back to everyone before proceeding forward with your writing.

That's just my personal opinion. :shrug:
I agree with Hadeslicious. Inspiration is a fickle thing, and preemptively explaining oneself to partners doesn’t really help anyone’s creative process. Neither do worries about what people might think. I always answer people if they ask if we’re still RPing, or ask about what the issue is, but I think preemptively messaging partners about the RP still going on is a bit over the top.

I often post LFRPs while still owing replies. Sometimes it helps me get back into the swing of things, sometimes not.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but I sometimes don’t get any replies to my LFRPs until weeks after posting them, especially if I’m interested in trying out something specific. So that’s also something to consider - if you post a LFRP, you never know when a reply is going to come. It’s better to post sooner rather than later, IMO.
I'm definitely the kind of person that likes to follow my inspirations regardless of how many rps I may have, waiting on a response or just in general. I do like to convince myself it's okay to post an ad if I reply to all or at least most of my rps first, even if it doesn't change the fact that I'll end up with too many rps. I'm sure some people get a little testy about it but I also think most people don't notice whether or not I'm posting ad or answering other rps or whatever? I just don't think people are paying that much attention to me... >.>

But, at least for me, if I'm feeling a little low on inspiration, having something new that I'm genuinely excited for can really get me excited for old rps that were starting to feel a bit mundane as well. All that inspiration overflows and I get really into writing. Besides, if I don't follow my inspirations immediately, I often don't follow them at all. Think of all that missed potential!! I'm sure a lot of people are like that so rp partners should understand.

Sure, if I see someone post an ad after months of complete silence, I take that as my final closure. No hard feelings though. Sometimes that's just how inspiration works. *shrug*
Rogue-Scribe

Murkysoulwaters wrote:
... if I'm feeling a little low on inspiration, having something new that I'm genuinely excited for can really get me excited for old rps that were starting to feel a bit mundane as well. All that inspiration overflows and I get really into writing. Besides, if I don't follow my inspirations immediately, I often don't follow them at all. Think of all that missed potential!! I'm sure a lot of people are like that so rp partners should understand.
^ This! ^

It's how I feel about inspiration, and sometimes something new rekindles some that may have started to go cold. Good discussion here!

I'll just throw this out here real quick... It is likely one reason why anonymous characters are used.
I admit to have posted LFRPs ads while having posts waiting. However I have only ever ghosted someone once and that was an accident. Honestly thought I had replied when I hadn't and when I realized, I apologized up and down to the person. Like some people have said, you don't know how long it will take for someone to respond to your ad and even then that someone might not be a good fit.

However once I find someone who is a good fit, we can plot, but I won't send out a starter or reply until those who are currently waiting have gotten their posts from me. I am also always upfront about this to my new partners and they have always been ok with it. As long as you do it respectfully, I think posting ads while you have waiting rps is perfectly fine.
Raspberry_Beret

I admit, I am rarely on the forums. Furthermore, I haven't ever posted a LFRP ad and, well, I never ever thought to check someone for this scenario.

So, my two copper's worth of opinion is I don't see a problem with it. I

That said, I think if the writer of the post has felt bad about it, maybe they should reach out to your partners who are missing a reply and explain when to expect a post.

And if the one waiting for a post notices it, maybe they should reach out and check on how the poster is doing. Just my two copper!
Personally when I see someone who hasn't replied in a long while posting an LFRP just think 'oh hey haven't seen them in a while' and shoot them a message like 'hey it's been a while! I just wanted to check in with you and ask if you're still interested in continuing the RP or not, no hard feelings if not or if you need a specific break. :)'

I never feel angry or irritated, just curious about what's going on if they haven't replied in a while and haven't said anything OOC in a while.

I personally am not really under a 'reply to all rps before posting new lfrp' thing, I do hold myself to a 'yeet all rps you want to yeet before starting a new one' thing. Like recently. I was hesitating to end RP's that were becoming a chore to reply to, and I was forcing myself to get replies out to occasionally, just wasn't feeling it anymore, and wanted to start new ideas.

Before I posted my lfrps for them, I archived those rps, and let my partners for them know I wouldn't be replying anymore. Huge weight off my shoulders. I could now post new lfrps, and not feel so exhausted by the ones I didn't want to write anymore, but was too hesitate to end.

So I'll say that if you just have some rps that you enjoy but take a while to reply to, putting up a new lfrp is fine, but if you have rps you're hesitating to archive and say goodbye to, that you just are not having fun with anymore...cut the cord.

Archive those rps and if you want to/feel comfortable enough to, let your partners know you won't be replying anymore, and do not look at those rps again. Remove them from your minds 'need to reply' list. They're done. They are not a job for you to fulfill anymore. Then put up new lfrps.

I think putting up lfrps when you haven't replied in a while, regardless of the reason is fine; but from experience if you're feeling guilty it's probably because there's some rps that you are attached to but don't really want to write anymore, ending those officially and removing them from your plate will make you feel a lot better! Might not be the case at all, but ya know. Just my advice!
For me, starting new RP's helps me find motivation to respond to older ones. If I run low on active RP's I'll usually start responding to existing rp's slower, because I always find I am most excited to RP immediately after making an RP post, particularly if that post was regarding something I was fascinated with.

Though even posting an LFRP post without getting any responses helps get the creativity flowing at times, I just recently cleared out my old RP's waiting for responses after posting an LFRP ad that got no response. I guess just thinking about getting an rp started can be enough to incentivize me to respond to existing ones.

At any rate, I do sometimes worry about what other people might think if they see the ad, but I'm not going to go out of my way to warn them or anything. Its not an rp partner's place to carefully keep tabs on you and study your every move and you shouldnt feel like you need to explain yourself just for seeking more partners.
Spiritualeclipse wrote:
For me, starting new RP's helps me find motivation to respond to older ones.

Very much this. For me, the excitement of a new RP can basically give me the motivation to catch up with my backlog whilst waiting for replies for the new one. This is especially helpful when at least one of those RPs is one I generally really like but have entered a slow patch in terms of motivation, as I can eventually speed up my replies again.

The only times this backfires really is when RP discussions fall through or the person I'm discussing with ghosts me before the RP can start or after I post a starter, as that can sap the motivation I have for RP in general.

I don't really mind my partners posting ads whilst I'm waiting for a reply so long as they do eventually get around to replying regardless of the actual wait length (or state their intent to end an RP). The only time it's an issue for me when I'm on the receiving end of such knowledge is when it occurs in the wake of ghosting, which can kinda feel like a bit of a slap in the face. But everyone has their own ways of doing things so... *shrug* I've learned to accept that sort of thing happens.

I have a personal policy of always notifying a partner when I want to end an RP, so as long as they believe me when I tell them that, I don't think they have much to be mad about if I do post an ad.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Posting an ad while active rps are waiting

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus