Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Push Notifications on RPR are coming to iOS!?

Not a request.
Not a dream.
Not a hoax.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/06/ios-16-support-web-push-notifications/

Not kidding.

I don’t know if anything needs done on this site, but at least now this invalidates any comments on “you can’t do that on an Apple device.”

That said, iOS 16 is still in development, and it’ll likely be Fall before we see it reach everyone.

Does this not belong here? Let me know where to put things like this in the future.
Kim Site Admin

I'm so excited to see this! I hope I'll be able to harness them pretty promptly. I even bought an apple laptop this past Black Friday in hopes of making it possible to test apple stuff.
Xpoint_MetaPulse Topic Starter

That’s good.
If it’s running on at least an M1, I assure you it’s more than proven its worth, right there.
We’ll finally get to see a lot more people get to try out some stuff that previously other systems were the only ones to enjoy!
Can someone please explain?

Basically, Apple’s finally getting into the push notification game!
Oh nice pog
Oh, cool!
I'm going to laugh if this results in only Apple devices getting RPR notifications. XD I don't recall if anyone was able to keep them working for long before (when they'd work at all), unless this would only be applying to the little chat-mode pings. I know that I gave up a long time ago, and I'm not recalling seeing anything about the problems being smoothed out - but then, I do have a pretty crappy memory.
Oh, has anything come of this yet? If it's already been mentioned, I'm not recalling. ^^;
Zelphyr wrote:
I'm going to laugh if this results in only Apple devices getting RPR notifications. XD I don't recall if anyone was able to keep them working for long before (when they'd work at all), unless this would only be applying to the little chat-mode pings. I know that I gave up a long time ago, and I'm not recalling seeing anything about the problems being smoothed out - but then, I do have a pretty crappy memory.

what do you count as a push notification? sounds, or the little numbers that show up in tab headers to let us know there's replies / new msgs to read?

sounds have never worked for me on desktop browser or phone, but the tabs keep the little inbox numbers showing up just fine. i'm using lenovo with windows os and firefox, OR a simple android phone with google chrome, neithr of which play any sounds but still display the (1) or (#) of new replies in the tabs so i can at-a-glance check

subscription to a thread can send ? emails? or something? and attached to the email client there can play a noise if you have that set up on phone o3o

that's all i've found out sofar

There’s a clarification on this that recently dropped.
Basically, iOS can allow push notifications from sites if you Add them to your Home Screen, from 16.4 onwards. That “Add to Home Screen” requirement is apparently to prevent excess notifications from sites, especially if those sites have apps you’re using.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Push Notifications on RPR are coming to iOS!?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus