Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Do you have themes/songs related to your charas?

All of my characters have theme songs or songs that pertain to them and their personalities, which are listed throughout their pages. I find that when music or musical themes are paired with a character it helps bring out more of their personalities.

For example, when I write my Viking Werewolf (Meph) and I listen to any of the songs on his pages, I am immediately in the proper mind set for his intensity.

Music has always been a strong contributor to who I am. I can measure my life by music. I will hear a certain song and instantly be transported into memories that pertained to my life when that song was most often played. Some people keep scrapbooks, I keep a music library. So, assigning music that speaks to each character's different personality helps me stay focused on staying true to that particular character.

full_007-im-108f1e4f-0ba5-48a0-93b6-2fdbefa852d6.jpg
Luscinioide

do i have songs? do i have SONGS? homebroskillet i have whole playlists. i frequently subject whatever partners that stick around to my terrible taste in music. they're gonna listen to it whether they like it or not

majima and their girlfriend have an entire playlist dedicated to telling their very tragic story through music. it starts off with 'sappy love music for a sappy reunion' and ends in 'increasingly aggressive edm that represents a severe mental break'. does it make sense to anyone except me? no. does boy harsher make up 99% of the playlist? yes. is it a total banger? yes.

the title is quite befitting if you ask me
Mina Moderator

When I build a character, the first inspo is usually a song. Sometimes it isn't, but in either case the first step is to build a playlist using spotify which I add to with the "recommended" songs at the bottom. I listen as I work and find a groove that way! The playlist gets refined over time to suit the character's individual personalities though and sometimes I find new favorites. Overall, these songs have featured the most heavily across the board: Venus in Furs by Velvet Underground and Like a Bad Girl Should by The Cramps. I also build playlists for ships, though sometimes it can attach feels to songs and I'll get sentimental about them even YEARS later. Looking at you, Wild Horses by The Rolling Stones and Wicked Game by Chris Isaak.. OH! If anyone has any interest in a femme fatale playlist, sans Halsey and Billie Eilish...you are so welcome to have a listen to this one I made. This link goes to spotify.
Mina wrote:
If anyone has any interest in a femme fatale playlist, sans Halsey and Billie Eilish...you are so welcome to have a listen to this one I made. This link goes to spotify.

Thank you, Mina! ^_^

And I love your avatar! Its so cute. :)
Mina Moderator

Ultra-Knight wrote:
Thank you, Mina! ^_^

And I love your avatar! Its so cute. :)

Anytime! Thank you! :D It needs updating, but I just can't find anything I like nearly as much at the moment so, sniffy harls it is!
Darling (played by itsjess)

"I remember when I first noticed that you liked me back
We were sitting down in a restaurant waiting for the check
We had made love earlier that day with no strings attached
But I could tell that something had changed how you looked at me then"
I've got a black magic woman
Got me so blind, I can't see
That she's a black magic woman
She's trying to make a devil outta me
Auberon Moderator

I have a hard time picking specific songs butttt I do spotify playlists for every OC I make. Some of these contain explicit tracks (Spotify marks them with an "E" next to the artist name).

Kamala - Mostly soft and sad vibes for a character who is learning to open up and love.

Beau - A mostly heavy playlist that deals with depression, substance abuse, and the process of breaking the cycle and healing.

Tomiko - Assorted lofi, anime/video game tracks, and covers for a geiko Au Ra (FFXIV).

Redacted - Evil poacher villain who must remain unnamed because they are a part of a campaign I am running. Lots of badass bad guy vibes.
I’m so thrilled to see this thread! Music takes a prominent role in my character creations. At the moment, I am completely obsessed with my character Alkereth, and the music I have placed on his page. My absolute favorite piece is this:

Sonera by Thomas Bergersen.
Alkereth and Lunrath
Gaq8gQW.png

What makes this song special is that the words are completely made up. Because Alkereth is alien in nature, I imagine that the language more or less represents that aspect of him. The whimsical theme reminds me of Alkereth astride his horse, Lunrath, as they go on their many adventures. The female voice could be Lunrath’s; perhaps the two share a duet? (Not in a romantic sense; that would be weird!) I feel their bond as horse and rider feels perfectly represented in Sonera. I hope you enjoy this song as much as I do! I listen to it often, especially if I’m in the middle of roleplaying Al. ☺️

I hope you share your character themes!
I do actually, not an individual playlist for each one though and it's on Youtube. While I admire Spotify's features, I prefer the easy access to remixes of Youtube. Music helps get into the mood of the characters more and I use them to reflect their personality like for Cici, Bad Company (it is in my regular playlist too), Soldier, Poet, King for Robin, and etc.
Not only do each of my characters have a song as their main theme song, I also have playlists to each of them. I find music helps set a mindset of what’s going on, and into the characters mind.
Bathorys_Sin

Genevieve has been a character of mine for a while. Hastily slapped onto a document until I can code her profile page, but the amount of songs I have for her are... alarming.

Give me anything dark, romantic, or Castlevania related and it'll get me in the mood to write with her.
Bathorys_Sin wrote:
Genevieve has been a character of mine for a while. Hastily slapped onto a document until I can code her profile page, but the amount of songs I have for her are... alarming.

Give me anything dark, romantic, or Castlevania related and it'll get me in the mood to write with her.

Like this? ;)

Leona (played by Axel_Doglover)

Do It All The Time by IDKhow sums up my life. Any song by them really.
prog knife. (played by Sohrryu)

I have an entire playlist on this girl's profile, lol. But if you want me to narrow it down to just one song, it's gotta be Feel Better by Penelope Scott, I think it really embodies Asuka's character and it's something I listen to on a loop when writing more emotional scenes.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Do you have themes/songs related to your charas?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus