Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Do you have themes/songs related to your charas?

The only way I can describe it is like... Themes. Songs that remind you of them. I ask because I literally have like three whole playlists for my mains and it's always a great way to find new bands and songs.

If so, please show me! I'm super interested to see and find new music - and mine are here since people have asked ☺️

Thank you!

((Also don't be afraid to go into detail, I'm always up to learn about people's characters, it makes me so happy))
I do not.
Being my two characters are music-centric (a drummer and a radio DJ) I have a lot of songs and artists I use.
I look for radio station playlists to use for Marionne's radio show and I have select songs I use for Veena.
It is fun to connect music with characters!
PinkBrat

Yep. I use those songs to help me get in the mood for that character and it gives me more motivation. Some characters don't have any and some have at. Like Ayla. She has TONS and they're a inappropriate.
ChebaTheBee

Not many of my characters have playlists. But, my very first Guild Wars 2 character (Sylvanus Tadala), has this song linked in his profile - Isolation by Altars of Grief. When I read the lyrics I could see him in them, which is why it's my favorite from that band.

EDIT: whoops! Looks like I already posted! My bad! ._.'
It's not something I tend to intentionally seek out, since that usually just results in frustration or "well this kinda works I guess...?" Once in awhile, though, I'll just stumble across something that seems pretty much perfect, totally by accident. So far the only "character playlist" I have is mostly to collect music that I could use as examples of something that character (a musician) might play in some circumstances, but a few characters have ended up with individual songs attached to them, and I've typically put those right on their profiles. Lemme pull examples...

One of the first times something ever hit me as fitting too well to ignore was My Mind's Eye by Sirenia, for my character Taryn. For a very rough idea, Taryn is basically a shadowy spirit creature who has no concept of empathy and just wants to be entertained, and it's common for her to mess with people in various ways to achieve that.

A really unexpected one was Learn To Be Lonely by Minnie Driver. Initally, I counted it a "close enough" for the (maybe kinda pretentious) way I wanted to present the backstory of a criminal character I've currently got in draft mode. By "close enough," I mean the mood worked for what I was aiming for and nothing in the song seemed obviously out of place. As I wrote up the backstory, whenever there was a spot where a scene transition was happening, I put a few of the lyrics from the song. I was honestly shocked when I realized the natural progression of the story and the natural progression of the song fit together absurdly well, with each lyric quite effectively summarizing each section of the story and often hinting as to what came next.

Then there's one that was just... Well, my character Willow is this sweet, bubbly little girl who's a lot more powerful (for reasons) than she necessarily realizes or knows how to use. There's also little hints of unpleasant things scattered in her profile, most indicating that she's homeless and has been taking care of herself for awhile (not that that seems to bother her any, she just runs around being charming and playing with other kids) until her bio eventually reveals that she's got a traumatic background that she's been in blissful denial of for years. Despite the sads, I tried to keep things focused how playful and silly she is. And yet, when I heard Wanderer's Lullaby by Adriana Figueroa, especially since it was around the time Willow was dealing with and finally learning a lot in an RP I had going, I had to attach it. It fit too well not to.

A more recent one that was selected somewhat more intentionally is Wicked Wicked World by Aviators for my character Jackson. The way things connect in my head on that one is a lot more of a mess, but even that sort of works out since the guy's not exactly... sane. He's actually a bit disturbing (but also pretty fun, which is also disturbing) to play.

There have also been times when a song struck me as a great fit for someone else's character, or for the dynamic between a certain set of characters. What might be one of the sweetest was Oh The Places You'll Go by I Fight Dragons and how well it fit the way a pair of lifetime criminals with a lot of deaths on their heads looked at their son and wanted more than anything for him to have a better life than they'd ever known, and how their son really was a sweetheart and followed a much more respectable path (though he did have some anger issues that sometimes got him in trouble).
GigaBit

I don't usually have theme songs, but when I listen to music, I think of what it would be like if those characters were singing them.
I love making character playlists.
... that being said, here's uh. the only one I still have (and it's a WIP)
clicky clicky (for my character Zinnia)
PS: playlist link leads to spotify
PPS: some of the songs are definitely not perfect fits but it's my playlist and my character and so I can do what I want :)
Omg I have...so many playlists. I'm extra picky about what songs go on them, bc I want character playlists to be short and listenable to strangers, so my absolute max is like 7 or 8 songs and it still has to be half an hour or less. They have to have a progression or flow too, but voice claim songs can be an exception to the rule.

ANYWAY here's a Spotify playlist for Will, since you actually know him. C:
_Skylark_ Topic Starter

FaeDreamer wrote:
I love making character playlists.
... that being said, here's uh. the only one I still have (and it's a WIP)
clicky clicky (for my character Zinnia)
PS: playlist link leads to spotify
PPS: some of the songs are definitely not perfect fits but it's my playlist and my character and so I can do what I want :)

Ooh I love it!! What a great mix of songs, too. Pleased to see an IDKHBTFM song in there that I hadn't heard, too 👀 Thank you for sharing!! I must say I really like the concept of Zinnia and she intrigues me ☺️ the playlist name cracked me up it's brilliant

DragonofRust wrote:
Omg I have...so many playlists. I'm extra picky about what songs go on them, bc I want character playlists to be short and listenable to strangers, so my absolute max is like 7 or 8 songs and it still has to be half an hour or less. They have to have a progression or flow too, but voice claim songs can be an exception to the rule.

ANYWAY here's a Spotify playlist for Will, since you actually know him. C:

Absolutely agree. I've had to make a "public" one because my actual ones are *checks phone* yikes- let's just say in the double digits for hours and songs. That being said - TL;DR version of these (though they're still 40+ bloody minutes despite my best efforts lol) are here as my other acc is private/personal~ I've only got my inner circle main three there for now. I feel the need to admit that they're lyric-led and not always matching what the charas would listen to (I mean, Sab's is far too soft).

I'm loving Will's playlist too, it absolutely fits!! 💙 God I love him as a character. Ironically and semi-related, but I found AJR recently and am now really into them - was very excited to see Sober Up on there, haha! Very good ruleset there too - when you say a progression, is that musically or story-wise?
Thank you!! Sol's playlist is super fun too, so far!

And I mean musical progression! I know some people don't like musical or mood whiplash when listening to playlists so I've tried to make them have as much of a flow as possible. I do try to add in story progression too, but that's harder to work with while still following my usual ruleset, and is less important to me. c:
_Skylark_ wrote:
Ooh I love it!! What a great mix of songs, too. Pleased to see an IDKHBTFM song in there that I hadn't heard, too 👀 Thank you for sharing!! I must say I really like the concept of Zinnia and she intrigues me ☺️ the playlist name cracked me up it's brilliant
thank you! :)
at some point I'll be adding more songs to the playlist (honestly I don't care if it's too long; no-one has to listen to it after all) and I'll be re-ordering the songs into something that resembles story progression (and musical progression.. if that works in my favour.) but for now it's just a pile of music :D I have a tendency to make character playlists, delete them because "haha I don't really need this", then severely regret it later on and begin remaking it. I had a much better version of this playlist in the past XD
also I usually just name them "character playlist- [character name]" so I'm glad I had something more.. creative.. for this one :>
fig

every character must have a playlist, is my motto. every single one of my characters has one. all of them. they have to, it is law

if there's any you'd like to see, let me know
I cannot tell you the amount of times I mentally checked out and when I came to I had an absolutely wild and unhinged character playlist at the ready, then my friends proceeded to point a finger and laughed, then added more.

Character songs are amazing. Please do share yours!
Most of the time I always change my music based on whats happening at the time but, those soft sit down at home or camp times in rps I always turn on a song I consider my characters theme song. Usually whatever fits their feelings or attitude but, sometimes its just about if I think the song bops real well with the character.
ChebaTheBee

There's this one song that has lyrics as if they're written for my character Sylvanus Tadala - Isolation by Altars of Grief. One time when I've read the lyrics of the song I started seeing my precious boy in them. This is pretty much the reason why I love that song.
Yeees all the time, for example my character Lorelai was inspired by the songs in her profile, although the main song for her is this one.

I don't always share the songs of my characters though, but I do have playlists for my stories that I listen to when I'm drawing or need to get inspired.
I do have a playlist for my character! Lots of times, I get inspired by the music I listen too. Currently, "Purple - Hollow Coves" is my character's main theme and it is a bop! Give it a listen, if anyone wishes: music
Not to any of my roleplay characters, but I did find a couple songs that matched characters in a short story I was writing... I then promptly worked the songs into the story itself so that the characters themselves listened to those songs. Specifically, "Sick of your opinions" by nathan wagner and "Home" by PVRA Nova. And naturally every time it comes up in the story, I have to listen to it again, so every time I re-read it to edit or share it, that song gets played.
I usually give my characters a song that I think best fits their situation. That being said, I initially gave McKenna her song - "Rescue Me" by Thirty Seconds to Mars... but after seeing this post a few days ago, I was given the inspiration and made her a Spotify playlist and keep slowly adding little things to it. I'm writing McKenna's backstory into an actual book, so this really helps me kinda get into her head a bit. I don't know why I didn't think about creating her a playlist before, but I absolutely love the idea.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Do you have themes/songs related to your charas?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus