Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Any words you have a hard time spelling?

giphy.gif

Oh. My goodness gracious. Are there any words that you just can't seem to get the hang of spelling no matter how many times you look it up? How about words you are just barely able to push your braincells to remember?
For me, my main word was Beginning. For years I kept spelling it beggingβ€” which is another word entirelyβ€” and begining. It wasn't until several months on RPR that something finally clicked. I don't know what- but thank the Lord cause yeesh!!
Bonus word! Definitely. I always spelled it definitly or definitley😡

So... What's your word?πŸ™ƒ
Burrito.

Every time I go to spell it, I keep spelling it as "Burrity." I don't know why. I can type without looking at the screen, without using the home keys, etc. I'm just that terminally online, but for some reason, "Burrito" messes with my muscle memory so much that my finger really wants to hit that Y.

When I was younger, it was the words "Maybe" (I'd spell it "Mabey") and "Finger" (I'd spell it Fingure...) Oddly enough, my spellcheck is not triggering for "Mabey." Wonder why...
Luscinioide

i always put fifteen extra consonants in the likes of rhythm and necessary
Probably - autocorrect helps otherwise I sub the word or spell probly -.-
Being a non-native English speaker, there were lots of words I struggled with for years. It has gotten better through roleplay but sometimes I still mess up. Below is a list of things I misspelled so many times that I can no longer count them.

Surprise - I spelled it as "Suprise" for decades.
Definitely - Definately, Definitily,...
Exaggerate - Exagerate, Exxagerrate,...
Guarantee - I honestly avoided this word for the longest time and replaced it with all sorts of things.
Throughout - seriously, this word is just complex
Thoroughly - Ugh, please XD
Albeit - Albait, Albeet....

I am sure there are many that escape me right now, but if I do remember some then I might circle back to this topic to add them.
SylOfficial wrote:
Being a non-native English speaker, there were lots of words I struggled with for years. It has gotten better through roleplay but sometimes I still mess up. Below is a list of things I misspelled so many times that I can no longer count them.

Surprise - I spelled it as "Suprise" for decades.
Definitely - Definately, Definitily,...
Exaggerate - Exagerate, Exxagerrate,...
Guarantee - I honestly avoided this word for the longest time and replaced it with all sorts of things.
Throughout - seriously, this word is just complex
Thoroughly - Ugh, please XD
Albeit - Albait, Albeet....

I am sure there are many that escape me right now, but if I do remember some then I might circle back to this topic to add them.

Tights - Thights
Thighs - Tighs
Though - Tough
Tough - Though
Accommodate - Acommodate, Accomodate...
Apartment - Appartment for the longest time
For years, I spelled "maybe" like "mabey." Oof, that's so cringey to look at now. But for years I did that, mainly in my own journals.

Lately, the word is "accommodation." Two "M's" AND two "C's"? Really? Not just one or the other? But yes, that's how it's spelled.

And I still think there ought to be a "Z" somewhere in "scissors."
Aya

I used to spell:

"Ambassador" as "Embassador"

"Guarantee" as "Garantee"

"Unconscious" as "unconscience"

When I was a kid, I spelled "Wednesday" as "Wendsday"

πŸ˜“πŸ˜“πŸ˜“
I think there was one involving cowboys that I used to have trouble with. Now apothecary (apocethary?) Is one I occasionally stumble on, as well as occasionally, lol. Those and ethereal, into which I sometimes want to put an extra a.
X2C

I have always had trouble spelling 'curious'
But my biggest problem is when to use Since or Sense
GU7TMUNCH3RZ

for me, it's "Worcestershire sauce". both in pronouncing and spelling it

edit: even spelled it wrong here lmao
Oddly enough, I have trouble spelling the word "quiet". 9 times out of 10, my spell checker always gets me on that one and I have to fix it.
The ones that always gets me are Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and Schwarzenegger. I had to spell check correct them making this post HAHA!
X2C

Ultra-Knight wrote:
Oddly enough, I have trouble spelling the word "quiet". 9 times out of 10, my spell checker always gets me on that one and I have to fix it.[/quoIt's te]

OMG without Spell Checker, I couldn't even spell my own name. It's an embarrassment to my years of education.
exagerrate
neccesary
micheal michael, john jhon
windsday, bcos that's how it pronounced tho (never capitalize weekday names anyway, they're not my real mom)
Existence.

I always spell it 'existance'. Every single time. I should know better by now.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Any words you have a hard time spelling?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus