Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Hi again - back after 2 years

Jewels Topic Starter

Atheist wrote:
NwJXT0D.gif

Hello, and welcome back! I was on a long hiatus myself while I earned my degree and took time off for work as well. I returned some time back and have been going pretty full force as far as checking in, but having two jobs kinda keeps me in check, alas! I hope you enjoy your time out of academics and find the career of your dreams!

Meanwhile, you'll be able to find that this site really works well for those of us who are typically pressed for time and need to take a step back for a bit. I've found it meshes perfectly with my overwhelmingly busy lifestyle. So here's to hoping it works out well for you!

Enjoy your fandoms of choice -- I hear it's a popular one and it seems the dice thing is already being explained by others so I won't be monotonous and try to throw in my efforts -- it would probably be a word jumble anyway! Hah hah!

Have fun, of course!

Thank you so much!!
Jewels Topic Starter

Thank you everyone! :)
Hello Jules! Welcome to RP Repository! :)

I myself have used the 2d 'coin flip' to make critical decisions in roleplays before where the story can be altered depending on what decision is made.
rolled 1d2 and got a natural 1.

Note: 1= Do This 2= Do That

scare

welcome
Jewels wrote:
silentruth wrote:
What do you mean by how to use it? Like - When (as in what context do you use it for)? or mechanically, how does it work?

Yeah, when and why do you use it? What do the numbers mean, etc
I see - I'll try to lay it out, let me know if you have any questions

Most freeform RPs won't have dice rolls as a mechanic. RPers describe what they do and responsible players describe the impact of their actions in a realistic way (e.g. M/C throws a punch at an enemy, the enemy gets knocked down to his knees, but was able to recover because M/C isn't very strong)

On the opposite end, TTRPGs leave most things to chance of the dice. We build characters with certain statistics based on their character class, race, background, etc., and different characters have different bonuses to do certain things (e.g. high dexterity characters will probably have a higher bonus to stealth, high wisdom characters will have a better sense motive skill, high strength characters can probably hit better). Most of the time, these dice rolls will determine how successfully your character does something.
The D"x" means how many sided dice. D20 = a twenty sided dice, D6 = a 6 sided dice, etc.
Different size dice for different types of actions. e.g. A d20 is usually for skill rolls and to hit, a d4 to a d10 are usually for damage rolls, depending on the lethality of the weapon your character is using.
Usually you're rolling against another number (a target number, or Difficulty Class [DC]). So if you're trying to climb a glass wall, mission impossible style, you're probably trying to hit a higher DC than trying to climb up a sloped hill with grippy shoes.
Depending on the game system, all of these details are outlined in the rules, so if you're in an RP that does not call for that, then don't worry about it!

IN BETWEEN - RPs that include dice rolls, but no character mechanics, the numbers usually represent the different possible outcomes.
So M/C is trying to escape, and he tries to sneak out the backdoor.
GM might ask me to roll a D3
1 = They get caught
2 = They sneak out but they are noticed
3 = They sneak out and nobody noticed
So I'd roll, and play out the outcome of the roll.

Hope that all makes sense!
CLIPLY_372109170_FREE_FIREWORKS_400.gif

Welcome back ! Hope you enjoy your time here ! And Happy New Years !
Welcome back to RPR
Welcome back to RP Repository :) Period settings are definitely fun.

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Hi again - back after 2 years

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus