Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What song never fails to make you cry?

Mine is Heather by Grandson

Just listen to it, you'll see what I mean
There are many. šŸ˜… My favorite has to be "songs for no one" by caligulas horse. Though it doesn't elicit sad tears. The song is about coming together to support those who are depressed and suicidal, what makes me cry is just how powerful the song and its message is. Listen to it! Amazing song.
Two come to mind instantly. There are songs that have very personal meaning to me that might not work on anyone else, but these two have such a raw, depressing vibe that I reckon that most people at the very least get sad upon hearin' 'em.

If you add the context of the artist being inspired by watching his enstranged mother die from cancer, it adds so much extra tear fuel. To me, it feels like having to accept your or someone else's death, but not fully understanding what to feel about it or what to think of it yet: you're just in the moment, slowly taking in what's happening.

I know some of y'all know this from that COD meme, but if you can put that aside, I dunno.. Just so much sadness, not in the same semi-peaceful way as the other one, this one is, paraphrased from a comment somewhere, "like dying alone, knowing no one will miss you".

Okay, while we're at it, I might as well add in one of those "very personal meaning" songs. Spoiler for the Cyberpunk 2077 storyline here, but the whole idea of being terminally ill and there being no cure in Cyberpunk 2077 messed with my brain and pysche and left me broken, so this song really hits the spot. I sometimes look up this song if my emotions get clogged up and need a release, because it brings out tears out every damn time, even more than with the other songs I listed (yeah, even now).

I wouldn't excatly makes me cry, but certainly puts a tear to my eye being a few songs that may cause a bit of whip lash thanks to being different genre of music.

One of the first I think of is the classic "Time to say Goodbye" by Andrea Bocelli which is a song about two lovers who have to leave one another, its quiet beautiful and how Bocelli brings it out is perfect

Another song that comes to mind is by Iron Maiden "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and the "When the Wild Wind Blows", both being actual stories, one a poem and the other an actual story. Ancient Mariner is about Sea Captain who disrespected the sea by killing a bird of good omen, cursing him and his men to stay and die on sea, but the mariner continues to live till he breaks the curse by praising God and all the creatures he made. Wild Winds blow is about an old couple having to dealing with the fear of a nuclear fallout, knowing they cannot do anything about it and make there peace.

Lastly is a small shanty called "Bones in the Ocean" which is about a sea mariner who was racked with survivor's guilt and intends to take the plunge into the ocean, at the last minute realize this wasn't what his old friends would want him to do

A song I first heard here on RPR in the 'listening' thread, then used as part of a soundtrack in a historical RP/fanfic story I'm building with another writer. I'm using it as part of my character Doc Hoc's post-war history where a friend of his from high school returned from Vietnam and never could deal with the reality. The song is called Sam Stone by country-folk singer John Prine. I get misty eyed every time I hear it.

Snuff by Slipknot. It was the favourite song of a co-worker of mine that I knew quite well, and the song makes me cry because I'm reminded of how said co-worker took their own life due to depression
Snuff is a great song.

Oddly the song temporary home by Carrie Underwood makes my eyes water.

If you know the song you know the part. I canā€™t relate to the lyrics really it just does it. Maybe itā€™s some deeply hidden reason or the record companies using some kind of psychology to make it happen but I know several people that feel that way.
There's one that comes to mind for me, and it didn't really hit up until my friend was tragically killed in a car accident a couple years ago, that being "No One But You (Only The Good Die Young)" by Queen.

I suppose there's also 1916 by Motƶrhead, and by extension the same song (1916) as covered by Sabaton, particularly the end of both songs there.
There's a few, all of them are from... particular points in my life when I needed them.

One that sticks out to me is this one, though explaining the context is difficult. The game it's from dragged me out of a hard place and didn't necessarily give me hope, but it did give me some perspective on how to approach life that helped me overcome my nihilism as a much younger person.

This song plays during the only game to ever make me cry during a boss fight:

There's also this, but both of these are more recent.
The year's been hard on me. I guess it's nice to hear music that makes me feel like it's ok to cry about it, instead of feeling hollowed out from the inside.

Maybe I also feel like the last two links are bitter sweet though, given what happened to one of the artists...
MIST by ATEEZ

The chorus is just powerful and it feels like a desperate scream and it just... always make me cry because I relate to the entire song.
Runaway Train by Soul Asylum. Itā€™s about abuse, but what gets me the most is that the music video has pictures of missing people who have yet to be found during the chorus, as well as their names and how long theyā€™ve been missing for. A lot of them are kids/young people, and that always hits me hard.

Iā€™m pretty sure they made different videos for each country it was released in, so that the pictures would be relevant to the region. Iā€™m not sure if they do it anymore, but I do know that at one point they were updating the music videos if somebody was found. Anyway, makes me super emotional if I listen to it and think about those people who are still missing.

Hurricane 2.0
By: thirty seconds to mars
Come to think of it, there's one madly saddening album that I, surprisingly, haven't seen anyone mention yet. Most of us might've already heard some of its songs, since it floats around the internet a lot, but the album itself is losing popularity after a big hype a year or so ago.

Folks, let me introduce you to Everywhere At The End of Time by The Caretaker:

As you can see, it's over 6 hours long, and I'll be honest, I haven't been able to listen to the full thing. With reason too, 'cause I deadass don't think I'm mentally stable enough to finish the entire thing. The album is supposed to represent the gradual mental detoriation of an Alzheimer's patient; that's why there's oldschool music in the beginning. Over the hours, the music gets more distorted, and for some time, the 'music' just turns into a vague static to symbolize how dementia patients just kinda go braindead, in a sense.

The most striking song for me, though, that always makes me cry, is the final piece, that refers to the terminal lucity that precedes the death of the patient.

It'd have to be a toss up between these two, I think. They both get me good, particularly when I'm writing the character they're attached to. Just ugly crying in front of my screen while I write, nothing to be concerned about here, lol!

Mines Two birds on a wire(forgot the name of the artist...) and The Nights by Avicci(I think I spelled his name right?)... They never seem to fail to bring emotion to my heart... ā¤

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What song never fails to make you cry?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus