Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » New page management interface, round 2

Kim Site Admin

After your excellent feedback on the first prototype, I fixed some bugs, tried to address some problems people were having and added the next round of features.

I would love your help again! It should take about 2 minutes to test this second version out. When I was testing this myself, I ran into some serious crashes in IE9. I spent several days tracking them down and trying to eliminate them. I am hopeful that this version is stable, but I want to be sure. I don't want to release something that crashes! If you're able to make it crash, please please let me know how you managed it.

The link to try it is here: http://www.rprepository.com/pageinterfacetest2.php

What I'd like to know is:
  1. What browser and version are you using? For example, Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 8.0.1
  2. Are you able to move single pages?
    • Within the same top-level list?
    • To a different top-level parent?
    • To an empty column?
  3. Are you able to move entire columns?
  4. Are you able to add pages?
    • Are you able to cancel adding a page while in-process?
    • Are you still able to reorder pages after adding a page or canceling adding a page?
    • After you've added a page, does the new page also work for reordering?
  5. Are you able to rename pages?
    • Are you able to cancel renaming a page while in-process?
    • Are you still able to reorder pages after renaming a page or canceling renaming a page?
  6. Are you able to delete pages?
    • Are you able to cancel deleting a page while in-process?
    • Are you still able to reorder pages after deleting a page or canceling deleting a page?
  7. Is it easy to do?
  8. Do you encounter problems?

Again, here's that link: http://www.rprepository.com/pageinterfacetest2.php
Darth_Angelus Moderator

New thing to play with!

*rubs hands together with glee*
Okay, so I got lazy part way through c/p-ing the questions and will just summarize here:

To question 1, I am using Fire Fox 9.0.1. Completely updated.

To questions 2-7: everything is working fine on my end. I can delete pages, rename pages, add new pages, and move everything about. Columns move as they should, Parent titles move, items under the parent titles move about to other ones when I drag them about. And it's all pretty darn easy.

Regarding the last question, I don't seem to be encountering any issues with this interface.
Answers to 2-7: Yes

Answer 1: Firefox 8.0
Answer 8: No
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Copper_Dragon wrote:
Okay, so I got lazy part way through c/p-ing the questions and will just summarize here

Haha, I'm not a stickler for the format or anything. I just want to hear people are being reasonably thorough with pressing buttons and dragging stuff around, and whether or not it worked for them. Thanks so much for taking a look at it for me. I am pleased as punch to hear it worked for you and was easy! <3
What browser and version are you using? For example, Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 8.0.1
Google Chrome 16.0.912.75 m

Yes for all the other questions! I especially like that the words are highlighted red when you go to delete them or teal for editing them.

Do you encounter problems?
Not at all! This is a major improvement.
Yuka

What browser and version are you using? Firefox (the latest, not sure how to find out which)
Are you able to move single pages? Yes
Within the same top-level list? Yes
To a different top-level parent? Yes
To an empty column? Yes
Are you able to move entire columns? Yes
Are you able to add pages? Yes
Are you able to cancel adding a page while in-process? Yes
Are you still able to reorder pages after adding a page or canceling adding a page?
After you've added a page, does the new page also work for reordering? Yes
Are you able to rename pages? Yes
Are you able to cancel renaming a page while in-process? Not quite sure
Are you still able to reorder pages after renaming a page or canceling renaming a page? Yes
Are you able to delete pages? Yes
Are you able to cancel deleting a page while in-process? Yes
Are you still able to reorder pages after deleting a page or canceling deleting a page? Yes
-Is it easy to do? Yes
Do you encounter problems? Nope, smooth sailing!

Love it <3

disducibus wrote:
Love it <3

Thank you!! Can I ask, what was the difficulty there?
Dragonfire Moderator

Firefox 3.6.25:

Yes for 2-7 and all sub-bits therein.

Only quibble I can possibly see is that trying to move a page from a very long column to a much shorter one doesn't 'register' until the cursor is right underneath of the lowest item in the column.
What browser and version are you using? For example, Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 8.0.1
FirFox 8.0

Are you able to move single pages? Yes
Within the same top-level list? Yes
To a different top-level parent? Yes
To an empty column? Yes
Are you able to move entire columns? Yes
Are you able to add pages? Yes
Are you able to cancel adding a page while in-process? Yes
Are you still able to reorder pages after adding a page or canceling adding a page? Yes
After you've added a page, does the new page also work for reordering? Yes
Are you able to rename pages? Yes
Are you able to cancel renaming a page while in-process? Yes
Are you still able to reorder pages after renaming a page or canceling renaming a page? Yes
Are you able to delete pages? Yes
Are you able to cancel deleting a page while in-process? Yes
Are you still able to reorder pages after deleting a page or canceling deleting a page? Yes
Is it easy to do? Yes
Do you encounter problems? No

i'm sure FireFox is starting to hate me from doing all this. XD
Claine Moderator

Absolutely no problems in Chrome 16.0.912.75 m And I really tried to break this thing :B. Accented characters and unusual punctuation marks, and HTML and BBCode in the page names and none of it caused any grief at all.
Geeze, Claine, Kim wants us to test it, not nearly put it in the grave.

*smacked, totally playing with ya*

Good ideas though, honest! I hadn't thought to start putting in all sorts of characters and coding in there...

Copper_Dragon wrote:
Geeze, Claine, Kim wants us to test it, not nearly put it in the grave.

No, no! Claine has the right of it! Test it into the grave! >:D The more battering it takes here, the more likely errors will be caught before I install it in a live environment, where it is very important that it functions correctly. This bit of code is going to have a rather central role and responsibility, after all.

Thanks for battering it, Claine. I am super thrilled to hear you weren't able to make it choke.
Yuka

Kim wrote:
disducibus wrote:
Love it <3

Thank you!! Can I ask, what was the difficulty there?

More me being a derp and not able to figure out HOW to cancel it XD
Ilmarinen Moderator

1. What browser and version are you using? Chrome 16.0.912.75 m
  2. Are you able to move single pages? Yes, yes, and yes.
  3. Are you able to move entire columns? Yes, though I still wish there were some kind of indication as to where to grab.
  4. Are you able to add pages? Yep, though it wasn't instantly obvious what it wanted me to do when it said "Where should this page go?" A second later I realized I just had to click.
    • Are you able to cancel adding a page while in-process? Yes
    • Are you still able to reorder pages after adding a page or canceling adding a page? Yep
    • After you've added a page, does the new page also work for reordering? Yep
  5. Are you able to rename pages? Yep
    • Are you able to cancel renaming a page while in-process? Yes
    • Are you still able to reorder pages after renaming a page or canceling renaming a page? Yep
  6. Are you able to delete pages? Yes
    • Are you able to cancel deleting a page while in-process? Yes
    • Are you still able to reorder pages after deleting a page or canceling deleting a page? Yes
  7. Is it easy to do? Yes!
  8. Do you encounter problems? Nothing really!

Heimdall wrote:
Are you able to move entire columns? Yes, though I still wish there were some kind of indication as to where to grab.

Does the new text instruction not help at all?
Sanne Moderator

When I move the entire columns, for some reason the background color of the column seems to randomly change as I drag it around o_O Then I release it and all the background colors snap back into the proper order.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Kim: To me, "drag the column itself" still sounds like I should be clicking on the header. Maybe I am just stubborn and silly!

Thanks guys! All good to know. I'm not sure if I'll refine those further right away, but I am definitely mulling it over hard.
Yuka

Totally excited for when this comes out XD What will be the maximum number of pages after it is implemented?

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » New page management interface, round 2

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus