Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What are common traits among your Characters?

So, I was looking at my characters, and I was thinking.. 'Hmm... a lot of these guys have the same _____.'

And here I am, wondering if everyone else unknowingly, or knowingly, gives their characters similar traits, physically or personality wise.

Okay, okay, besides 90% of my characters being female...

Traits among my Characters:

Golden Eyes - 6 Characters

Long to Extremely Long Hair - 14 Characters

Absolutely No Scars - 18 Characters

Does not have a last name - 15 Characters

Short bangs - NONE (Apparently I don't like bangs on my characters)

Big chested - 8 Characters

Magic User - 14 Characters

Characters that have absolutely no mentions of their parents - 10 characters

I also try to add some personal touches to characters by making them somewhat similar to me (Etc. Alezander likes the smell of Vanilla, Erasai likes to play the violin, Icilia likes Operas)
I only have 3 right now so that's kind of sad, lol. But it makes it easier to keep count of what they have in common.

- All of them do have surviving parents but only one of them is in a bad relationship with them

- They're all considered criminals in the worlds they come from.

- two of them have an affinity towards dark or shadow.

- none of them have long hair.

- they all have scars covering their body.

And like you i do try to add personal touches to characters. Not to me, but based on my friends and family to give the character a more 'individual'-ized feel.
Minerva

All my characters have a foundation in a form of unusual spirituality, even if the type changes.several are solar or lunar, a few are "pagan gods". Uh... Luci made zenthus so is identical in about half his traits, even appearance. Most of my characters have unusual sexuality or cultural beliefs (zenthus applies vassal rights to his servants and are thus his in all ways, ash is extreme polyamory, luci is free spirit, ferous dresses transgender and has herm traits, rudianos reproduces through destruction, etc, auroch is sterile and so on). Unusual names. Many are mentors in some field. Many play in the same circles of friends. Most of them are extremely competent in a fight within their own tier of abilities. I have a few shapeshifters. *ponders* i guess my biggest connection is almost half are from szurane, and the others made it save for... Itachi.
Minerva

After thinking on it, other traits: i can't play a totally mundane character. I tried with raphael but environment turned him into the next batman. Everyone becomes extraordinary--from the repairman, to the sorceress, to the old man at the bar every day. Several characters of mine over time have managed to lose an eye--some managed to replace it. I also have a habit of retiring characters to the grave by planned combat, plot device or natural death. Um... The better part of my characters are male. Most of my character genders are determined by mental self perception and energy resonance type as i play many spirits. My side characters tend to have ridiculous names, like fzerane qinglau, hel crux tenkiyogudo, maeligust hulin, or a more main one, naga-ou zarathus zenthus fzerane zento ra'alish. Yup. Say that five times fast. Oh, i enjoy switch hitters. Rumea was a main hero, then boss, then reluctant hero. Zenthus was contagonist, then antagonist, then rotated between pro and antagonist. Luci forever walks -
Minerva

-forever walks a dangerous line. Ferous was married to one half of the final antagonist. ash has dark, shadowed history and a dangerous edge in revenge when rarely revved up. Auroch has never berserked yet but has complete genetic potential. Rudianos was freakishly loyal to his maker then went to strike him down. I enjoy a swing in most characters.
kuroi_neko Topic Starter

Lol sounds very interesting! Those are the most fun characters to RP with in my opinion.
All my girls are pretty. I don't play any grotesque characters.

Let's see... hmm.

Most of my characters have suffered various forms of abuse from parents/guardians
Half of my characters are very shy
THe other half are very outgoing
I keep all my characters in the general age range of 16-25, with the exception of a couple children alts.
Most of my alts are girls.
My guys are all handsome (Capell is a half-exception. He's goodlooking with an arrow hole in his head).

All of them have some form of magical ability, save for...maybe one or two.
I try and play mine with as much diversity as I can, but there are some overlap!

99.9% of my characters are male XD

They tend to be a little stubborn, some more than others, and a few of my main ones have short tempers. They also tend to be rather forward in mannerisms...
And they also tend to be older [30+] with beards.. and are usually physically fit in some form or another.
Other than that they're pretty different, I like to think.
This actually an interesting thread :). I've never really had a good look at my characters as a whole to see what the have in common.

They're all female. I don't think I've ever played a male.
They're at least 75% of them are friendly
50% of them are mythical beings (vampires, demons, fae)
Most of them some sort of scarring.
50% of them either have tattoos, piercings, or both.
Most of them are very strong willed (except for 2 of them)
And they usually all have some sort of quirk, or hobby (Both Bliss, and Billy are artists. Roxy and Dree both have musical talents. Taru, Raiden and Variel could be called researchers)
And typically the all appear to be with in the ages of 19-30 years old. I say appear as some of them are immortal.

Wow I never really realized how similar (yet still different) my characters are.
Hmmm yes this is interesting to think about.

While I only like to play as girls, 95% of my OC's are men, and they are all, DEVILISHLY handsome. XD I just cannot make a non-goodlooking guy. I try to give them diverse attitudes so it helps.

However,
Almost all of their hair styles are the same. (I suck at drawing hair, so it comes out DBZ looking)
A few have blue eyes,
I have two characters named Raine, Raine my lovely female, and Reine, My mercenary Male.
Tons of my characters either have black hair or brown.
All females are beautiful, only 2 with big boobs
All my men are muscUlar. NO SKINNIES ALLOWED HERE.(We be fighting a war)
Half are white, the other are tan...

Hmm... I'd say most are stubborn too.
Claine Moderator

I've been feeling a little down about my writing because I don't play a lot of characters and the ones I do have quite a lot of personality similarities.

- Often are arseholes
- Above mentioned arseholes usually have fairly good intentions anyway.
- If are not arseholes, they are likely nerds
- Almost always male
- Tall
- Almost always intellectual over combative. This goes for the arseholes too.
Sanne Moderator

Hmm! I actually never thought much about the actual similar traits... I always try to have a vast variety of physical and personality. A reoccurring theme with my female characters is chubbiness though. Full figured female forms, ranging from overweight to just full. I have more females than males. A bunch of them have some serious mental issues, while others are peaceful and good hearted.

Two of them are insane, heartless and violent in contrary! (Anonymous alts, that is :))

I think most of mine are pretty evenly divided in traits and such... My only issue is playing them consistently. I tend to roleplay some characters 'like I do the others' even though they are designed entirely different, which is my main hurdle. :(
Claine Moderator

Sanne wrote:
I tend to roleplay some characters 'like I do the others' even though they are designed entirely different, which is my main hurdle. :(

Ffff I do this too. When I try to branch out and write outside my usual tropes, I find my characters slowly slowly become more like my established characters.
hmm similiar traits... as far as Tak and Haku go.. they're tall and I just like dark skin. :D So they have dark complexions. oddly colored eyes, and for Dog and the shadow.. well.. I try and make sure that the chars are capable of learning things, and being understanding. as for differences.. well... tak is drow mix, Shadow is.. well A shadowalker and Haku is polynesian native human. Dog is.. a dog :D
This is something I've never thought about before...
  • Almost all of them are female.
  • As for the female characters, they are all strong willed in different ways.
  • Most of them are 5'5" or shorter.
  • They are all attractive, some in cuter ways some in more sexier ways.
  • They're not overly serious (or serious all the time). I realized that roleplaying characters that are too serious can get really boring over time. I've learned to inject a bit of humour into them.
  • All of them but one are anthropomorphic and the one that is human is a lesser demon with an animal form.
  • Almost all of them are mortal, or they live longer than usual, or are not immortal per se, but certainly have a way to die.
  • They almost all tie into the slave-trade somehow (as I RP primarily in TGT which is a slave-slaver based Furcadia dream.)
Pygmy

Jeepers. I didn't expect something like this to pop up but I'm thrilled! I suppose I'll slap my list on here, too.
  • My characters do not reach over six feet.
  • Most of my characters are terribly short.
  • All of my characters are female (at the time. Mighttt make a new guy.)
  • Each of my characters are a terribly modest in personality. They're more like turtles who duck in their shells when they don't like things!
  • Each of my characters were born in a warm place.
  • All of my characters have slender figures - no big busts!
  • All of my characters at the time are under thirty years of age.
  • My characters range from cute to pretty. I don't like trying for sexy, it just doesn't work (I can't play itttt!)

I have more, but I'd rather not fill up the page!
Minerva

I keep thinking on this. I'd say most of my charas look 25+. Minerva looks 12, rumea started looking 16 but became 30ish over time. But ash was mid40s, ferous is an ambiguous 35-55, luci is about 28 as is zenthus... Visually. rafe looks and is 30. So save for a few old examples...25+. They also tend to have -weird- lovers... Those that do. My females like rumea, itachi, and ferous are all extreme lock legs and min's too innocent. But luci's had 80something looking lovers, drug abusers totally cracked.. And ash tends to be at the center of psychotic girlfriends. Zenthus had to kill a female servant who refused to quit picking fights with the others over him. Rudianos and alexandrias oddly functional idea of procreation is tearing each other apart. Etc.
SeraphicStar

Most of my characters tend to be either good at heart but tactless, or tactful and with evil intentions.
Most of my characters either cannot die from age, or have very big life spans.
Most of my characters have each their own personal set of values, and each one of them thinks he's doing the right thing.
Some of my characters speak like the Hulk.
Most of my characters are single and not looking. Then again no one would want to hook up with most of them, either.
Most of my characters were at one time associated with or opposed to an organization called Avares.
Hrm, lessie...

Common Traits:
Parent issues-- abandonment, estranged, distanced from, lost and/or deceased
This usually accompanies being close to someone else in the extended family or someone who isn't related by blood

Non-human/Superhuman-- my humans have odd abilities, and the others are non-human. I have SOME generic ol' humans, but I don't play them actively.
edit: well, almost all the humans-- Raphaël's just intelligent, but he's nothin' special in that regard

ADVENTURRRRE-- if they can, they'll damn well go tralalalala into adventure and danger because why the heck not, "it's awesome".

Alignment-- most of my characters lay somewhere in the good & neutral ranges, and very rarely do I play villans (though I do have some fairly fleshed out ones I would love to play if their histories and settings allowed for it!)
All of them are involved with the supernatural in some shape or form.

All of them are female, because I cannot play a male to save my life.

Most of them are kind of...scary. Like might stab you for the heck of it types.

All of them save one are pale/fair skinned.

Jeez, I actually had to think for this. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not that I've jumped all over the map with my girls. Height ranges from 4'4 to 5'11", alignment ranging from Lawful Good to Neutral Evil... 8I

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What are common traits among your Characters?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus