Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » I have a challenge for everyone!

Steampunk sounds like a good idea... it's a genre I admire from afar, but I've never had a whim to dabble in...
Maybe it's just me, but it seems very vague. o-o

*read the wiki article, yays for that!*
I still don't understand it. ^^; *dunce*
TEMPORARY THREAD DERAILING: Steampunk is basically what science fiction may have been to folks in the Victorian-or-thereabouts era, if the concept had existed. Much as scifi takes what we know of modern science, customs, and what-ifs, steampunk is a genre that does the same thing, but using an older Time period as a basis, rather than a relatively modern one. It gets its name from the fact that much of the crazier technology in the genre runs on steam, rather than electricity or some other energy.

Naturally, because it is a temporally displaced genre of scifi, there's still a lot of focus on inventors and scientists, but also a lot of interest concentrated on explorers (who usually fly in airships), since the era is usually equated with the age of discovery. It also has a natural inclination towards being somewhat dark; steampunk cities are usually riddled with pipes and springs and gauges and pulleys and levers, and the atmosphere this generates just lends itself well to a bit of grunge.

/SWERVES THREAD BACK ON TOPIC
This is popular. HOORAY FOR STEAMPUNK. Lets all derp Steampunk style.
Kim Site Admin

Earendill wrote:
STEAMPUNK IT IS. I've always wanted to design a steampunk version of Ulrin. OR EDWIN.

Are redesigns allowed for this challenge?
SeraphicStar

YAAAY Steampunk. I love that thing. :P
Kim wrote:
Earendill wrote:
STEAMPUNK IT IS. I've always wanted to design a steampunk version of Ulrin. OR EDWIN.

EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE. So says Hypnotoad
Wizard wrote:
TEMPORARY THREAD DERAILING: Steampunk is basically what science fiction may have been to folks in the Victorian-or-thereabouts era, if the concept had existed. Much as scifi takes what we know of modern science, customs, and what-ifs, steampunk is a genre that does the same thing, but using an older Time period as a basis, rather than a relatively modern one. It gets its name from the fact that much of the crazier technology in the genre runs on steam, rather than electricity or some other energy.

Naturally, because it is a temporally displaced genre of scifi, there's still a lot of focus on inventors and scientists, but also a lot of interest concentrated on explorers (who usually fly in airships), since the era is usually equated with the age of discovery. It also has a natural inclination towards being somewhat dark; steampunk cities are usually riddled with pipes and springs and gauges and pulleys and levers, and the atmosphere this generates just lends itself well to a bit of grunge.

/SWERVES THREAD BACK ON TOPIC

YAY THANK YOU
Earendill wrote:
Kim wrote:
Earendill wrote:

EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE. So says Hypnotoad

I just watched that thing for like five minutes straight. It really is hypnotic.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Wizard wrote:
Steampunk is basically what science fiction may have been to folks in the Victorian-or-thereabouts era

That has me wondering what science fiction will be like a century from now.
Kim Site Admin

I wonder if they will have moved on from steampunk and think that... I dunno siliconpunk is charmingly retro and trendy.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Siliconpunk, I like that :)

EDIT: And since I read your post Kim, I have been imagining what it would look like :p
Ilmarinen Moderator

Quote:
I should try someone more brutish, or maybe younger, or maybe a lady. Or... or maybe all three at the same Time!

YOU KNOW WHO YOU NEED TO PLAY, SON.

I did futuristic/modern RP a long time ago, and my main focus is definitely medieval fantasy. I've played a huge range of character types... many different professions, ages, genders, income levels, desires, backstories, species, etc. I do tend towards men and people of lower-middle class with physical professions, though. Somehow it's just most comfortable to me.

Stuff I'd like to do more of:
- "caveman" RP (like a clan of "tribal" creatures, probably sentient/bipedal)
- historically accurate RP
- fandom RP (Pokemon please?)

Steampunk has never crossed my mind, but I wonder if it would be fun.
Heimdall wrote:
YOU KNOW WHO YOU NEED TO PLAY, SON.

YES. YES, I DO.

Join us on the steampunk bandwagon! I would admittedly like to do some pseudo-caveman RP too, though. It's not anything I've ever done before, so I'll probably make a derp out of myself, but it sounds so fun.
Meedleboot Topic Starter

Woah. This sure got a lot of replies since I last looked at it xD I'm glad you guys like the idea.

I love the caveman idea. A lot. I've never thought of that before.
Hmmm..this is a good challenge. I'm a shy person, though.. (how this is relevant I'm not sure.)
STEAMPUNK CAVEMEN.
Earendill wrote:
STEAMPUNK CAVEMEN.

YOU JUST WON THE INTERWEBS.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » I have a challenge for everyone!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus