Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Development Research: IC Family Trees

Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Thank you!! So useful!!

But yes you did just break it. ;)
Minerva

Hopefully you can read the text that got supertiny. Photobucket shrunk it since it was about twice that size originally. I should have thought to upload it to my server, duuuuuuuuurp. My computer started wigging around then, though, so I had to settle with what I did. I'm currently on my grampa's comp which doesn't have that file, otherwise I would re-upload it. I installed avast antivirus and it borked my comp and I had to do system restore. I don't like running on windows security scan alone but I guess I have to settle on that unless you have another antivirus you know of that won't f*** my Windows 7.
Hey there! At Kim's urging, I am adding my own two cents into the complication of family trees.

Namely, the crossed webbing that is my PCs and their connections, in an effort to assist this future feature that would be FREAKIN' AWESOME TO HAVE. *cracks knuckles*

Azarkot married his wife Catrina, and by her he fathered had four daughters.
The second-youngest married Draconus.

One Draconus' end, he is the second born (& son) of two deceased parents. His younger sister is also deceased, but his older brother is alive and well.

On top of that, I have Johann Malagrav, who ICly married a friend's PC (who has a profile on here), but he already has a daughter via adoption (who I may make a profile for, not sure yet).

So the two totally separate family trees look like this. No relations between the top & bottom--they're just my or others' assorted PCs. Hope this helps, Kim!

KEY
Red means there was a marriage between two characters
Blue means there were offspring to be had
Green means that character has an RPR profile
Purple means there was an adoption involved

Edit: SPEAKING OF FAMILY TREES, look at what CGP Grey explained today: click.
The only thing I could think of would be pets.

WhiteWolf wrote:
The only thing I could think of would be pets.

Can you explain why you would want pets included on a family tree? I've not encountered this before, even in fantasy family trees.
What if the pet was your shape-shifting brother or sister. Or..... If the character had a pet that they brought around everywhere that was relevant to the RP's they would be in.

Example: Say you have a character that carries around a pet, and the character doesn't know that their beloved pet is actually their enemy in disguise.

Or

KuroSakuranbo14's character Kuro has a little dragon pet who is also a close companion, and Kuro treats him like a son to her and takes care of him because they have been together since he had hatched.

Just an example or two.

InsaneShadow wrote:
Example: Say you have a character that carries around a pet, and the character doesn't know that their beloved pet is actually their enemy in disguise.

Then it still wouldn't be a part of your family, it would be an enemy.
InsaneShadow wrote:
KuroSakuranbo14's character Kuro has a little dragon pet who is also a close companion, and Kuro treats him like a son to her and takes care of him because they have been together since he had hatched.

Neither of those examples makes the pet actually related to the character... "treats like a son" and "adopted as a son" are quite different.
There are lots of folks who consider pets as family members.

But, at the same time... it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would serve much purpose here. The point of family trees is to organize and basically show off your lineage, and a pet doesn't really fit into that. Sure, you love your dog, but what's it got to do with your uncle? Even if this was a multi-generational and or sentient "pet" (at that point, I think a different term should be in use anyway), it has no implied effect on the blood or legal ties of your family.
Pets have 0 to do with the representation of familial lines and ancestry, which is the point of a 'Family Tree'.
Pets should be saved for that row of stick figure stickers you put on the back of your car imo.
I think this idea would be so groovy! As for family trees, most of my characters have rather traditional ones. So I can't give a crazy example. Some widowers remarried or separations and such, but that seems fairly common. I can definitely see how this is a complicated thing to create! With how complex some of the families are on here. I have seen folks who have a set of birth parents and then the ones who have made them werewolves or such as another set of parents.
Depending on the werekin played, some have multiple mothers and consider all children of the pack brothers and sisters. Defining all that can get tricky for trees. But then, if it doesn't work for them, they don't have to use it! That is the beauty of rpr.
Very fun idea, I look forward to seeing what comes!
Mm~

A very long, long time ago, when I was twenty-three,
I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be.
This widow had a grown-up child who had hair of red -
my father fell in love with her, and soon, they too, were wed!

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Development Research: IC Family Trees

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus