Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » What are the best games for rp?

Cusith (played by GreenCinders)

Hey guys.

This is just a quick topic to find out what games do you rp in?
I currently use furcadia for most of my rp, and have carried a few rps onto chats here with players I have met there.
But my fear is growing that furcadia is dying. I was holding out some hope that the update from the kick starter would bring some people back but after seeing it....lets just say my confidence in that front isn't high. So I am looking for suggestions of alternatives.

Cheers guys.
Before Furcadia, I used to roleplay on virtual pet sites though they were strictly PG-13 so I can't imagine myself going back to them - I like my violence and gore too much.

But, I have heard that people still roleplay on World of Warcraft, though I no longer play the game myself so I can't say for certain. There was a website an artist I was watching on DeviantArt was promoting, Emeria, that seems to have a strong roleplay foundation. I've not explored it a lot myself, but it's a heavy fantasy/medieval style similar to TGT.
Black desert, WOW, most games that allow character customisation have populated RP communities you can find through google. There's always RP blogs on tumblr too that look for certain settings etc.
DayZ actually has an rp community although the rules are a bit strict (or at least feels that way) heres the link if anyone is interested: http://www.dayzrp.com/

Other than that some people rp on Guild Wars 2 and me and my friends didnt even know this until we started up some funny rp like my character is simply short and shes obsessed with food, alcohol and *cough* other women, while my friend was basically the poor sap that put up with my characters shit and with that was rather rude especially when our other friend who was a Norn showed up in which he played the overly friendly and lonely stupid brute kind of guy. We started rping around the human starting area in a bar in which I was hitting on the women npc's and the other two were arguing and some random dude joined in and once we parted ways he said lots of people apparently rp in the human capital tavern(s)
I used to roleplay on Second Life. In fact, that was where I actually formally learnt how to roleplay. Second Life is pretty amazing for roleplay, there are so many places to do so, plus it's a virtual world so you actually get to see the setting and your character. It's real time chat roleplay, however, rather than post by post so you need to be active at a certain time to be involved in roleplay.

The downside was that Second Life is more fun if you have money to throw at it. That's because you need to style and dress up your avatar to suit the settings of the roleplay. And unless you're really, really rich, you can forget about starting your own roleplay.
Cusith (played by GreenCinders) Topic Starter

Hey guys thanks for all your suggestions! I appreciate it but I will say I struggle with MMO rps cause I am UK based so I get put in UK servers which seem to have much much smaller communities in general and almost no rp communities. And if I try to do work arounds to get on American servers I end up with lag. So most MMO isn't really much of an option.
Silja Fenren (played anonymously)

Myth Weavers is another site that hosts a lot of RP but it's forums based primarily. Still, they have some cool resources there. Was there a setting you were interested in? You can find a lot of D&D or Chronicles of Darkness fan sites out there. Roll20 also has online accommodations for pen and paper RPGs.
Cusith wrote:
Hey guys thanks for all your suggestions! I appreciate it but I will say I struggle with MMO rps cause I am UK based so I get put in UK servers which seem to have much much smaller communities in general and almost no rp communities. And if I try to do work arounds to get on American servers I end up with lag. So most MMO isn't really much of an option.
My sympathies. I can relate though. I wish I could roleplay on MMORPGs as well, but everytime I go online I can't find people to roleplay with. Probably because I'm from neither the US nor the UK, and most of the roleplay seems to follow US timing, which conflicts with my schedule. Even on Second Life, I ran into the same issue. And same with Everquest 2, even though I played on a roleplay server. Server-wide chat was active (at certain times) but I never ever ran into people.

I did get to roleplay on LOTRO though, which, as a Tolkien-fan, made me really, really happy. But now my laptop can no longer run LOTRO. Or any advanced game, really.

And nowadays I seem to have lost my interest in MMORPGs.
Rat (played by Toreth)

You could try MUDs if you aren't put off by the lack of graphical frills. They're completely text-based, which can be disconcerting if you're accustomed to having any sort of graphical representation at all (e.g. Furc).

Iron Realms is one of the oldest and most active ones, and I've also heard good things about Armageddon if you fancy post-apocalyptic settings.

I don't have any personal experience playing in these communities, but if either one sounds like your cup of tea, it might be worth a look.
I came here because I've been having a hard time finding a MUD that suits me perfectly.

I've also RP'd on Minecraft, Terraria, and Starbound, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Hmm, well I'm actually part of a spot called the Omniverse, and it's pretty in-depth and interesting if you like massive canon/OC crossovers, fighting, quests, a long-running storyline, etc. (If you're looking for sexy times, then I wouldn't recommend going there, as they have a rule against explicit stuff.)

Other than that, I came from DeviantArt, which had a decent RP community. However, if you wanted visual representation, you'd have to either draw it yourself or know someone who did requests/really cheap commissions, etc. I haven't played much on MUDs or MMOs, so I can't tell you much about that (I actually didn't think that was a thing for a while.)
I'm not sure if MMOs are the only places where you'd prefer to RP in but if you're willing to, you can always try using Google Docs with your partner(s) or even try private messaging them on any social media site. I personally prefer using Skype or Hangouts when I RP.

~Hope that helps~
ChebaTheBee

I used to roleplay in Guild Wars 2 before (nowadays don't have partners in that game). The game has lore that, in my opinion, is really nice for roleplaying (plus, I believe there are many possibilities for your characters). There are also countless cosmetics for your characters which you can get creative with + novelties (toys basically, for instance, you have traveling toys, tonics that can transform you into creatures etc., chairs and instruments). You can find roleplay guilds in the game, just they aren't all too common from what I've seen. I personally enjoy roleplays that aren't focused on the main story.
FFXIV has quite a big RP community, alas I have no experience in it but I certainly notice a few players with the RP tag above their name when I play (I’m also UK based!)
There's also the game Neverwinter Nights! It costs about 20$ but it has toolsets for making multiplayer worlds, and a lot of the most popular are roleplay focused. They're mainly D&D settings, considering the fact that it's a D&D game first, but I think I've seen a few newer original settings.

If you see it on sale, I'd highly recommend it.
I actually fool around on Furcadia as well, but as you said, the game is really hitting rock-bottom these days and it bothers me because I grew up on it and have all the attachment and nostalgia that comes with it, so it's been hard on me for multiple reasons. As someone who plays mostly canons, I tend to find it a bit more difficult to smoke out communities who accept that sort of thing, so I've just been floating around in the abyss. I reconnected with RPR and for the most part, it suits my slow-paced needs due to the overwhelming demands of my job.

Though I must say, for someone who can't pick up new hobbies, new MMORPGs, or participate in high-performance games due to having a much older machine, I've been quite out of touch as to where I could even go at this point. Suffice it to say, I love that all these answers are aimed with such high praise and as soon as I am able to upgrade, there are a few of these suggestions I may consider. I also hope to continue to follow this subject for the sake of seeing what other options others may present. I apologize that I didn't have anything really to offer myself, but as a fellow Furcadian, there is something to be said about camaraderie in a fading community.

I bid you the best of luck and if our paths cross in Furcadia, I'll certainly have to say 'hello' when I see you! :)
Never used it myself, but what about Manyland?

It's a bit like Furc, except sidescroller. Maybe try moving there?

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » What are the best games for rp?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus