Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » We Unlucky Few | CLOSED

Verlin Calder (played by koroni) Topic Starter

"A princess," breathed Ver - after the handshake, he was conflicted about how to act around another member of royalty. More so to avoid embarrassing himself, he kept his focus on the fire, only pausing to tell the Hangman, "I've no clue what happened, honestly. I haven't even seen an animal except for, ah, her highness' lion. Speaking for myself, I plan to wait here in case anyone else is on their way. Haven't decided for how long."
Carabia (played by Robyn)

Crimson gaze drifts to settle upon the bowing fellow, finding the effort made beyond kind. A thankful, warm smile soon cast his way. Despite already offering a bow of her head, one more is offered towards the present King specifically. Even in such strange circumstances, these old habits will die hard. "I know not of what happened, either. I simply awoke to an empty Kingdom several days ago." Crimson eyes narrow as Ver speaks of the animals, a quiet sigh slipping past parted lips. "I was afraid of that." In truth, she had been hoping it was simply her homeland that had been wiped of animal life, as well as the citizens. Looks like the group is going Veggie, in that case! "May I wait with you, Mister Ver? I would like to see if anyone else spots that fire."
Sol (played by soulfire14)

Sol heard the princess ask if she could stay, and also thought that wasn't a bad idea. There are strength in number, he thought.
"If you will stay, then I suppose I will too. After all, I would like to know how I am here, and what has happened to this town..." His voice trailed off in thought and he stood a moment longer in the silence before continuing. "I shall stand guard in the unlikely event that we will attract shadow to this brilliant hearth." He glanced back at the burning building, then to Ver, before looking over to the girl with the quarter staff.
"Oh, I'm sorry miss, I don't think I caught your name."
Aybilla watched through the converstation, building her own conclusions. When Sol addressed her, she grinned her response.
"Oh that is right. My name is Aybilla Pending, traveling Cleric." she genstured to the divine symbole she wore as a pendant. "I like to go by Aya, though Aybilla is just fine. It is a pleasure to meet you all, despite the circumstances. Or perhaps" she giggled "more so because of the circumstances."
She held out a hand in greeting to each member of the party equally, giving special compliment to Ver for his shining scales which she now figured to be dragon scales for sure. She really liked them.
"I beg your pardon," she addressed Princess Carabia and King Sol as she greeted them "it's an honor to have royalty here with us -especially who seemed skilled in comabt - but I wonder if we can afford the pomp of social stature at this time, and hope you will forgive me for abandoning titles for the time-being?
That being said, I think that it is wise that we all stay together, so may I as well? I am proficiant with my staff if fighting is needed, as well as various spells. And healing, of course." Aya addressed the party.

Sol smiled back in response.
"It is a pleasure to meet you, Aya, even if the circumstances aren't exactly great for the time being." He took a breath before continuing. "And yes, please don't call me king, Sol is mu name and it shall serve just as well." He took a glance at the princess. "I cannot speak for princess Carabia though."

"The point of the huge beacon fire was to get as many people here as possible. It'd be a shame if everyone left." Ver paused, the fire in front of him casting amber into his brown eyes. "I mean to say, yes, it'd be great if we all stuck together for now."
"Please to meet you, Aybilla." (He thanked her for the comment and remarked that the piece was homemade, looking proud.) "Pleased to meet all of you."

Her attention now drifts towards the King for a short while, her smile beaming at the sound of him agreeing to stay as well. It will be fantastic if they manage to stick as a group in these strange, hard times. "Wonderful. Glad to hear so." She chimes in gently, those large feathery wings briefly stretching for comfort. Crimson eyes settle upon Aya as she approaches, her own hand gloved in white lifting to shake without hesitation, her grip gentle. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Aybilla. Please, do just call me by Carabia. It's uncommon to hear the title outside of home in any case."

Carabia reassures her with ease, clearly not offended at all. There are far bigger issues to focus energy upon than titles and social cues. Expression offers interest right away. "Ooh, healing? That's wonderful. I am skilled with range weaponry and elemental magics." She feels the need to share with the group, should they face anything unpleasant together. For now, she leaves out her skills in Demonology. A few faces seemed hesitant by her race alone, so she decides to leave this fact unmentioned unless needed. The young ruler glances towards Ver. "Glad to hear so! Do you think we should wait a little longer for others, or form another plan?" A gloved hand rises to rest upon the lion's mane as before, the gesture entirely affectionate. With introductions at an end, she finally draws closer to stand with the group.

Sol grinned as she drew closer.
"Well, since we are sharing what we are good at, I am quite proficient at using a sword, " he said leaning on his own sword like a cane. "And know minor magic, but I could bet a fair dime that Aya knows more than I in that field." He took his sword from the ground, dusting the dirt and ash off the blade as he returned it to his scabberd.
"And I mean no disrespect, Miss Carabia, but I have had a burning question, that is, if you dont mind me asking?" He said uncertainly to the princess.
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

The Hanged Man looked to each of them in turn as they offered their respective answers, though it seemed none of them knew any more than he did. He let out a sigh through his nose and simply gazed into the flames for a time. "I-I will stay the night as well," he said quietly. "But come the morning, where--where will you all go? I know naught of these lands. Under normal circumstances, I-I simply head west until I run out of land, but I will ... I will follow you." Though he spoke to the group at large, he glanced to Sol as he said the last part, then quickly looked aside. "Allies seem like they will be indispensable in the times ahead, after all ..."

Sol's offer to stand watch was met with a firm shake of the head. "Nay, liege--prithee, I-I beg you, let me stand vigil in your stead. T'is my solemn duty."

Sol glanced at the hanged man as he spoke. He considered the man's statement for a moment.
"I'll not let someone work while I sit around and do nothing, we shall both stand watch, and please, call me Sol." He responded to the soldier.
"I'm not sure I caught your name either."

The Hanged Man kept his eyes low as Sol spoke to him. "As you wish, my liege--ah, S-Sol." The request for his name made a curious little smile form on his lips, crooked and ugly, and he brushed a lock of hair behind and ear. "My name, ah ... I am oft referred to as the Hanged Man," he explained. "I have many epithets--thrice-hanged, sword-swallower, oathbreaker, crow ... but you may call me whatever you deem fit."

Sol's grin proves to be rather contagious, it seems! She notes that it reached his face once she aimed to draw closer. Her own smile grows in silent reply, though only lightly given this odd situation they have found themselves in. Gaze drifts to admire the weapon of his choice, lingering there in simple interest for another moment or two. Thankfully, her attention returns once he directs a question. "Why of course."

She answers simply, the curiousity present within her tone. Head even tilts slightly to her right, long ivory ringlets pouring over the shoulder in doing so. In truth, she begins to wonder if this burning question links with her race in some fashion, if only because he worries about disrespecting. Still, she feels the need to chime in once the other fellow offers his own name at last. "The Hanged Man? That is quite the unique title, Sir." Carabia smiles lightly. The lion at her side finally lowers to sit.

"You know," Ver murmured, half to himself, "the easy solution here is for one of you to do one night and one do the next..." His smile grew back, though, and he turned over his shoulder to greet, "Well, hello, Hanged Man. Welcome to the, uhh, party." He seemed pleased to be in company of so many skilled individuals - he was capable of fending for himself, sure, but that didn't mean he wanted to.

Sol looked back over to Ver as he he welcomed the Hanged Man to this group of people. He had almost forgotten to ask Carabia. He looked over to the princes and her lion. He casually leaned against the foundation of the burning house while attempting to appear calm.
"Ah yes, um, I don't mean to offend you princess," He started. "But I just wanted to ask. Are you part demon?" He said looking at her nervously. That wasn't a question you just ask people, anyways.
To Ver, Aybilla said "I agree with rotating the watches. Hopefully the food in the village is still safe to eat. I ate here last night and seem unharmed. We'll all need nourishment before too long, and it would be senseless to let something good go to waste."
When Sol made his question known, she bit her lip and cast him a quick look of surprise. The question Sol asked about Carabia's linage was something Aya was also curious about, but would not venture to ask. She quickly changed her look to a gently intrigued one, so as not to add uncomfortable pressure. "Sol, that is quite a thing to ask a person. But I must admit I'm a tad curious as well. It's not everywhere you go you see features like your, Carabia."

The Hanged Man chuckled mirthlessly when Carabia commented on his strange moniker. "As I said, your majesty, if--if it does not suit you, you may dub me whatever you wish."

The question the king posed to the princess was mostly ignored. The Hanged Man had been walking west for a very long time and his path had taken him through the strangest of lands. Carabia was a sight, truly, but the weary soldier didn't find it his place to speculate on or question her lineage. Instead he turned to face the fire. The bright light played off the sunken angles of his face, giving him an almost skullish appearance. It was warm--almost too warm, yet he relished that, too, even as his armor heated up almost to the point of discomfort.

On the roof of a building nearby a second party was forming. Two crows, sleek and black, landed on the highest timber, looking down at the party with curious, twinkling eyes.

Firstly, she makes a point of agreeing with Ver. "Yes, taking turns would probably help more. Why we could all take turns, allowing everyone to rest equally." The young lady chimes along gently, for it wouldn't be right for just two people to take shifts. But, aha! There is the almighty question. While she truly expected the question to be aimed at her race, it takes no mind Reader to see how delicately the King is putting everything. Though her eyebrows lift curiously once Aya joins in, simply surprised! Perhaps the homeland is simply more diverse than what these two are used to. Everyone here appears human-like from what she can tell, in any case. "A Devil, actually." Carabia answers rather honestly indeed, tone offered calmly all the while. "But it is quite alright. I do not mind the question at all."

She casts all a reassuring smile, that long Scorpion tail still curled behind her for comfort. Between this extra appendage, along with either enormous wing and set of horns, she cannot blame anyone for genuine curiousity. Naturally, she politely waits for their responses before speaking towards Hangy. "The Hanged Man it is." The young ruler answers with a cheerier smile. Who knows, perhaps she may end up offering him a nickname throughout this odd, shared adventure. Being the observer she is, those curious crimson hues soon lift upwards, noting the movement above one building. Straining to see what the source is. Though it' be impossible to see unless they near the roof's edge. But...they couldn't possibly be birds, could they? Dembala, the introduced black lion soon lifts his head in order to follow her gaze.
Aya was relieved that Carabia took the question without offense. She tried thinking of all she knew about demonic species but found that in all the things she had seen, and beings she had interacted with, a devil was not on the list. She concluded that this was a good chance to start fresh and have a new experience. That excited her! So she grinned at Carabia "Oh! Well, that's fascinating!"

Seeing the direction Hanged Man and Carabia's attention drifted in, she caught view of the black birds. 'Crows? Oh!' she thought. She turned to The Hanged Man. "You mentioned Crow as one of your names. It doesn't seem nearly as explanatory as your other titles. Why do people call you that?"

Sol stood in awe as the princess responded to his question. He did admit it to be slightly rude to ask such a question, but he was glad she took no offence.
"Ah, then I feel even more honored to stand in your presence, as where I come from there are only but few of your species." He said to Carabia, as he watched from the corner of his eyes as two crows landed on a nearby building. The sight of mere birds seemed to startle the king a little, as he was now used to the empty street, except for these people standing around the great hearth. He walked around for a moment thinking before finally coming to a conclusion. He turned to Ver.
"I believe I shall go search for any more refugees of this odd plight that has betaken this town." He told the dragon-scale-clad blacksmith before walking off towards the hills, drawing his sword as he did so.

The Hanged Man bowed his head to Carabia as she stuck with his given name, then returned his attention to the fire. If he saw the two crows above--and soon they were joined by two more--he did not notice them. They adjusted their feathers in silence, as if they were waiting for something. Absentmindedly he stroked the side of his shield, which was draped with burlap as to hide its sigil. "... crows go where war goes," he answered Aybilla. His voice was soft and his words short, yet clearly he reached deep to procure them.

Sol's departure drew the soldier's attention swiftly. "Lord, t'is quite possibly dangerous to go alone. Prithee, let me accompany you ... to--to keep you company if naught else." He took a few steps away from the fire, but did not follow Sol until the man granted him permission to do so.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » We Unlucky Few | CLOSED

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus