Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » We Unlucky Few | CLOSED

Aybilla was excited over the information about Carabia's lion not being just a lion! 'Later, though' she told herself 'you can pry about it later.' So stowing that thought for later on, she put a hand on Pheonixheart's shoulder when she noticed the shy shifting. "No need to be unsettled"
Aya just tried to keep up with what was going on. She wanted to be nervous about the man they had rescued, but Cara's familiarity and everyone else's ease rubbed off on her. His rough accent especially was charming in a way. It sufficed her to stay out of the way as they discussed removing the shackles. Regrettably her skill with locks and chains was dearly lacking. She swore to herself that someday she would learn the spell for opening locks, when she heard Brolin's threat.
"Brolin, was it? Do you not like magic?" she asked aghast, after Crow offered to strike the chains with his shield.
Verlin Calder (played by koroni) Topic Starter

Ver's expression visibly tightened, then dropped into a gentle frown. "Sir, I assure you that fire is as natural as--" He fell silent, briefly closed his eyes and exhaled through his nose. "Fine. Fine. To each their own, I suppose, but do not expect me to stay away if your life is in danger just because you don't trust 'magic.'" There was a certain tense finality to his tone. He didn't smile again, but also didn't mention his misgivings about theft.
"Some people have their preferences," Ver told Aya with a tone that was, perhaps, a bit too even.
Carabia (played by Robyn)

While the mighty King had not mentioned her name in order to call her, she still glances his way upon hearing it. If only out of habit alone. She casts him a friendly enough smile, though her attentions remain around their newest addition for the moment. Unlike Ver, the shy redhead hardly seems young to her, for both ladies actually share the very same age. "Oh, good." She answers Brolin with a light, likely relieved sigh. "The last thing we need is a pair of cursed shackles." Crimson eyes drift towards Hangy, honestly finding the fellow rather charming. "Yes, definitely. While I do not suspect the bath house here is extravagant, they must have used something." One gloved hand rises to run through Dembala's mane, still seated between his front paws. Aya draws a wonderful point, actually. She nods along in vague agreement, she too curious to hear of the answer. "Magic does not harm you, does it?" While she does indeed notice Ver's tenseness and even tone, Carabia chooses not to comment upon it.
Phoenixheart Hiro (played by Gab)

Phoenixheart tensed slightly when Aybilla put a hand on her shoulder, but relaxed when she realized that it was meant to be a friendly gesture. "S-sorry, I'm just not used to being around new people..." She said with an apologetic smile in response to Abyilla told her that there was no reason to be so uneasy. Phoenixheart also tried to keep up with what was going on, and quietly observed what was going on. She noticed that Carabia's attention remained on herself.
Brolin (played anonymously)

Brolin, albeit the smallest and weakest of the group did not seem prone to shy away from a conflict- shifting the conversation about his detest in magick from Sol to Ver. "An' if that situation comes, savin' me from it won' negate my quarrel." He quipped, pointing back down at the puddle to cement his statement.

The feud was short lived, even if hints of venom settled in his words. "Hurts th' soul, Li'l Cara." He patted his chest. "Real men few an' far tween that posses th' true magick o' savin' yerself.."

He'd glance over to Aybilla, answering her question with a wink and waving her over. "Don' be shy lass, c'mon. I'll show you true magick." With chains clamoring, he rocked himself down to a sitting position. "Abilged, an' as much as I'd love t' see ya's big muscles at work handsome.. akin' I'd rather keep 'em in one piece."

Filthy hands moved palm full after palm full of dirty hair to the side until he revealed an.. unsettling solution. A key- stitched to lower back bit of his scalp just a ways behind his ear. "Cut us loose, ya? An' I'll grant you th' answer t' one question" He'd ask her in a flirtatious manner, endearing his own mysteriousness to get aide or even possibly divide their ranks.
Aya hesitantly followed his beckoning and came to see what he was revealing. Seeing the key hidden there, she scrunched her nose. WHAT?? "By the way the sun sets" she cursed "That's the key? Really? I don't know whether to be impressed or sick." She knelt by him and hurriedly fished through her satchel for her healer's kit where she had a little knife tucked in with the bandages, salves, and whatnot. Pulling it out, she examined the stitching. "This gives way to many questions, Sir. How will I ever pick just one?" She probed back at him in response to his flirtatious manner as she started to make the cuts necessary for freeing the key.

Formal gown of green remains billowed around her legs, still content to remain seated upon the floor. For a time she grows quiet, expression rather thoughtful. Be this a daydream or pondering upon something serious, the details remain unseen. The young lady only nods gently once Brolin answers her, for her focus soon draws elsewhere upon making the connection to what Aya is now up to. "Past the Twins.." This odd way of cursing is only whispered out, turning slightly to open up the wide satchel at her side. A beautiful symbol of the sun decorates the bags' front. After digging around, she finally pulls a smaller bag free, rolling it open beside Aya to reveal her own healer's kit. "Just in case you need anything extra." She smiles lightly. The contents are similar in Aya's choice of supplies, the containers of salves blank to suggest they were made herself. While it would be ridiculous to attempt helping given the key's delicate location, she can at least offer further supplies should Aya have use for them.

Phoenixheart stood a bit unsuredly and watched as Aybilla worked to free the key from Brolin. If the man had allowed her to use her healing magic, she could have easily healed the cuts in just a few moments, but as he said before he didn't want any magic used on him. She wanted so badly to help to prove that she had meant no harm to the people, but she couldn't seem to find an opportunity at the moment. She didn't like the thought of just being a dead weight in the group and she wanted to prove that she could also be useful if they needed it. When she was younger, she was told that she was just a burden as well as a freak of nature by the humans who had captured her and experimented on her for two years and she had spent the six years after she escaped working to prove them wrong. She wasn't going to stop and give up with that mission now.
Sol (played by soulfire14)

Sol listened to Brolin speak about magic and he, and how he didn't like it because it hurt the soul. He furrowed his brows, not out of anger or frustration, but of thought and curiosity. Where he came from, magic was quite common. He did not detest to this, however, as everyone was entitled to thier opinion.

He looked up over to the princess as she explained to Brolin about how her lion was not in fact a lion, but a familiar. This was interesting and exciting news, as in the Euratrian Kingdom these were practically myth and legend.

He noticed as everyone had thier attention on Brolin and the key that he had sewed to his head, that Pheonix was looking kind of nervous and scared, yet anxious at the same time, almost like she was trying to do something. He turned his attention back over to her.
"Pheonixheart, are you nervous about something?" The king asked her as he took out his perfect-mirror sword and leaned on it like a cane. His voice was friendly and reassuring. He didn't hear earlier when Pheonixheart was talking to Carabia.
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

The Hanged Man stared around at the group incredulously as they all leapt unquestioningly to Brolin's aid. The swordsman had worn shackles himself more than once in his life, but never before had he stitched the key to the back of his head. His passive nature reigned, and he did not stop Aya from beginning the process of cutting the thread, yet he insisted on an answer to his question. He pointed at Brolin's shackles again.

"These are letters, are they not? What do they spell?" He fixed Aya with his sunken eyes, then Carabia, then Sol, waiting for an explanation. "... I-I know that mine own appearance doesn't lend itself to credibility ... but you might think to ask this man why he is in chains before you cut him loose."
With a big grin Aybilla nodded her thanks to Cara for providing more supplies. It's always nice when people are prepared. It took a few more careful cuts to free the key. Before making the last cut, Aya caught Crow's stare. Carabila seemed to trust this man, but Crow had a very good point. She looked from Crow, to the shackles in question. What should she do? She considered her position and realized she had the best advantage if she was quick. 'I'm going to go for it'
Pursing her lips in a line, in a swift movement the cleric cut the key free and leaped back to stand above Brolin, an arm's reach away, holding the key in one fist while the knife was still in the other. Her staff sadly remained lain on the ground where she had to put it down to use both hands.
"Let's satisfy everyone, then. Thank you for your trust, Brolin. I have the key, and so let's talk answers. If we like the answers then the key will unlock your shackles. If we don't like your answers..." Aybilla thought for a moment "Lady Cara's familiar will eat the key. So, tell us. What is your story?"

Against the odds, these words seem to relax Ver. Perhaps he was expecting argument against it. He did not smile, but any sign of a frown was gone. He nodded.
As he rounded the group to kneel by the puddle, he briefly assured Phoenixheart, "Don't worry. I have a feeling you're safer here than anywhere else right now."
He dipped the end of a finger into the black goo and pulled it out - it clung to his skin. He rubbed it between his finger and thumb and just said, "Huh." He paused to glance towards Brolin once more and, noticing the key, cracked a little smile and again said, "Huh."

He stood at the Hanged Man's point. "You have a point. But as long as he has no plans to harm anyone here, is it really so bad to release him? We are gathered here, after all, on the grounds that more is better.

Phoenixheart was a bit caught up in her thoughts and watching Aybilla cut the key from Brolin, that the sudden question from Sol made her jump just a bit. She responded "Huh? O-oh, i-it's nothing really, just that if I used my healing magic, I could heal Brolin in just a few moments, but I know that he doesn't want any magic used on him... I just feel a bit like a dead weight right now and I don't really like that feeling..." and smiled a bit embarrassed. She felt a bit more comfortable with the group as Ver gave her his brief assurance.

A smug look dominated his goo-painted face when the key was revealed, even when Aybilla removed and leapt up with it. "Good play, but.." Fingers gingerly pulled the loose threading left behind on his scalp. "T'ink this.. if I really wanted out badly enuf, 'ow long you reckon 'fore it t' take me to talk Li'l Cara int' pickin' me lock with her stinger?" His tone was educational, fond even. "Stands t' reason.. ev'ryn' one o' you can't even confirm your identities... aside from us." He'd motion between he and Cara, and then briefly look up Inow gratitude when Ver chimed up on his behalf. He truly was testing their commitment to one another.

"Yet, I digress in exchange t' hurry this process. I can smell me-self, and t'ings I'd rather not are jus' about t' freeze off." Hoping everyone understood, he looked to Hangy. "By that I mean me gonads." He'd cackle.

Picking at the bit of scalp, he looked up baffled at Hangy. "No one's taught you written word, boyo?" Hurriedly, he'd cleat off the surface best he could and point from letter to letter. "This'n is an easy one, jus' take it slow.. F-fu U-ugh Gi-..." After sounding it out, he'd shrug. "Look at that! You's jus' read a word in a differen' language." Intimacy case Hangy hadn't caught on, he sigh. "Fugitive, I'm a slippery prisoner." He'd grunt, tapping his head.

"Magick.. any more questions?"
Sol (played by soulfire14)

Sol listened quietly as Brolin spoke. He was right, no one could really prove their identities, but he didn't really mind.
"I believe he speaks the truth about not knowing who each other is, but I don't mind much. What good would the difference of someone's identity make when they were from a different realm entirely, besides bickering over the perceived truth and the actual? That being said, it doesn't bother me that he was a criminal, we need all the people we can find. I vote shackles off." He said walking over to Brolin, sheathing his sword.
"Although I am curious, what was of your past, if you don't mind asking." Sol said to the man.
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

"One can-cannot say what his plans are," the Hanged Man said to Ver; though with a shrug, he acquiesced, "nor, indeed, any of ours. I-I merely err on the side of caution." Brolin's coy attitude towards him made the soldier smirk again and he resisted the fleeting urge to pop the fellow in the teeth. His eyes glanced over the letters and his smirk deepened. "A 'fuggitive,' you say? I had concluded already that you were a prisoner--yet I, too, am curious as to what put you in chains." He didn't comment on his illiteracy. Let that be subject for a later discussion.

Sol's naivety--or what the Hanged Man perceived as such--didn't "fit," and it made the swordsman frown. Yet even if this strange king was his lord reborn, not every detail needed to be exact. He bowed his head to Sol, then looked back to Brolin. "Then--then so be it," he said softly. "Shackles off. Surely all of us realize that we have s-safety in numbers, and that it would be foolish to do aught but work together, aye?" He didn't ask for Brolin's name--it didn't much matter, and he was sure to find out eventually. "And I suppose we must t-take shelter in the town for the night ... perhaps they've a well or a stream to bathe in ..."

Still sat upon the ground for the moment, lids widen slightly around crimson hues in surprise. She most certainly didn't expect to see Aya leap backwards after settling on helping him only moments before. Head tilts gently to her right, long ivory ringlets pouring forward in doing so. However, it seems that Dembala, the mighty Lion finds the eating of his key most amusing, evident by the slow lick of his lips. Carabia glances upwards and elbows him gently. Down, boy. She lifts an eyebrow at the mention of her stinger, that long Scorpion tail curled behind her. Why, the young Devil considers chiming in, but thankfully Brolin settles on answering. But, a prisoner? That's rather unexpected. "I agree.." She offers after the King. "Remaining together should be our priority, no? Not our mistakes. Besides, I am far more interested to learn how you found yourself in that bizarre puddle." This last part sounds thoughtful, genuinely so.

She remains oblivious to both Aya, and even the King's interest in Demmy, though she would hardly mind any questions regarding such a companion. Next, a reassuring smile is soon cast Hangy's way. "A little caution never hurt anyone." If anything, tis' kind of him to speak his worries aloud. "Camping is no problem, though I would not mind a bed before we leave this town, should that ever become our goal. Perhaps there is a tavern here." Even with people gone, she would rather camp over staying in an individual's home. Finally, crimson hues drift towards Phoenix. "You are no deadweight, Miss. Why you have only just joined us."

Ver held out his hand. "Before you unlock him, I would like to hear, too." Likely a hypocritical request - Ver's hands were not nearly clear of blood. Still, he sympathized with the Hanged Man's caution. He's travelled with many unsavoury characters in his time and has learned that it's best to be wary.
He turned his head back to the sky. "It looks like we won't have enough time, but if we have nowhere else to go, I'd like to head towards my shop. There's food there - food I'll be happy to share if it means... less theft. And other supplies I can easily replace when this is over."
He also briefly turned to Phoenixheart and nodded his agreement with Carabia.
When Brolin brought up using Cara, Aybilla shot a look at the demon princess. Almost a challenge, but not quite. It was true - and she didn't want to admit it - that most in the posse could not verify each other. Who actually were these people? Who could they each-
'No' she cut her panic off, thinking to herself 'Just like she would not acknowledge station and class in this strange situation, what did past matter? Until they solved this puzzle, now was what mattered. Aya listened to what Ver, Sol, Crow, and Carabia had decided and processed everything with a sigh.
"Okay Lord Slippery. Let's say we call everything a fresh start. Let's hear why you are a prisoner in the first place, then we can all discuss further matters after we have the chance to freshen up. Frankly you don't exactly smell like my mother's garden and I'm sure we are all starving." She held the key up to everyone; Ver, Sol, Carabia, Crow, Pheonixheart. "We unlock him, right?" She tossed it in her palm. "I'll wait for your cue."

Brolin sat patiently, a wide grin to each of the party. "If you're feelin' useless lass, think 'ow I feel!" He jested, wiggling his shackles. At Carabia's glance to her tail, he gave her a confirming look as if to say 'Yes, that's a handy tool.

"O'im a prisoner 'cause I'm not a.. good prisoner. That slippery slope." He shrugged, looking between the men as if that answer was good enough.

"Look lads, I'm a Gael. You'll be 'ere all night pulling out me fingernails but it jus' doesnt look good in your favour o' gettin' more out of me... so I'm inclined to agree we move on.. ya?"

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » We Unlucky Few | CLOSED

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus