Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » IRL

Has anyone ever played it? I'm not sure what to think of it. It has no subscription and is free to play, but it's got a pretty insane cash shop, so basically you won't get really far unless you have a lot of money to blow on the game. It's also really unusual. I mean, for starters, you don't even get to pick your character's class or appearance, and you basically can't do anything until level 18 (level 16 on some European realms). The tutorial lasts six levels, which is a little ridiculous, and the bit on walking and communicating with other players takes much longer than necessary, but at least it's thorough.

The drinking minigame (which, again, you can usually unlock at either level 16 or 21 depending on your server, don't ask me why there's a difference) is one of the first things I tried, and so far as I can tell, no matter how good you are, you don't get ANYTHING for winning. Not a new piece of gear, not even gold. You might get a title, but I haven't figured out how that works yet. Sometimes you'll get reputation points, but at others you'll lose them... It's incredibly inconsistent. I guess that's supposed to be the charm?

Also, pets? Don't even waste your Time. All they do is sit around and eat up all of your money since you have to pay to keep them happy, and most of them don't even have any skillsets or talents to customize them with. So far, all the cats I've tamed don't even have the Bite skill, and they are automatically programmed to run away from loud noises. I'm sorry, what? Seriously? I'm supposed to fight dragons with this? I hear dogs are less buggy right now, but stealth pets have always been my preference. At least the range of colors (and the quality of the textures!) on all the species is really good, so I guess they make good vanity items anyway, especially the really expensive ones.

Speaking of dragons, let me just say that they are the definition of insane. First off, you can't even find the buggers. I think they're supposed to be set up as more of a challenge of skill than something along the lines of an endgame or raid boss--finding the dragon is as difficult an undertaking as killing it, and I hear that the loot is quite good. Forget about tracking them the usual way, though. These dragons don't leave any traces of their existence, at all. You won't even find an egg on a shifty peddler in the Market district (which is full of fruit and these weird metal baskets on wheels for some reason). These are seriously well-hidden dragons, so props to that developer. Anyone who downs one is going to be instantly famous. I did find some poems accompanied by rather unrealistic depictions in a very colorful section of the spellbook shop--perhaps they are clues? If anyone has any idea, please do share!

Oh, by the way, magic's broken, so if you defaulted into the wizard class (like me) you're kind of screwed, especially since you can't reroll if your character dies. I get around it with special emotes and max points in the Run Away and Scream skills, but I'm going to have to wait for them to fix that before I can do anything serious, like fight those creepy Politician bosses. I've never seen such a terrifying villain race before! I think they did an extremely good job with them. The only problem is that you basically need a whole raid to take down their adds once you down them, so it's risky. (The adds don't even drop any loot. It's kind of like the whaleshark in World of Warcraft, but cooler, and with the exciting possibility of locking you out of the game forever.)

Anyway, if anyone else has the game, I'd like to hear what you think! It's been around for a while, so I'm pretty sure there's got to be at least somebody here who's played it. (I don't recommend sharing your character name, though, because there have been hackers.)
This is so much win.
Sanne Moderator

IRL kind of sucks. That's why I prefer the roleplay minigame rather than following the main quest line. You know, so I can do something constructive.

I hate that my dad is the highest level in the family though (freaking level 54!). He thinks he knows everything better than I do. :/
Witness

Well, for one thing, the graphics are simply amazing; I can barely run Skyrim on low graphics settings, but IRL seems to have very little, if any, lag (just a little bit of lag when you get around the DMV or a doctor's waiting room). I haven't tried the drinking minigame, but if there's no big payoff, I may just mess with it a little bit, not really grind in it or anything; however, I'm told that the in-game lore is comprehensive and the developers really put a lot of work into it, so I guess I'm going to be spending most of my time tracking down the book sellers.

Oh, quick question. Has anyone been able to get the relationships feature to work? I'm told that it works for most players, and that some get it to work swimmingly, others not so much. I can't even get it to work at all on my end, so I'm a little uncertain about what to do. Is there a patch out, or is there one upcoming?

One tip: the combat is scaled way too hard. You can lose in just a few hits in some cases, and a lot of the weapons are far too overpowered for simple PvP or even just grinding a lot. I can't tell if that was a mistake on the developers' parts, or if they intended for the game to be less combat-oriented than others. In any case, I wouldn't suggest getting into a lot of battles.
Sanne, he does have player-experience. I think you could learn a lot of hints and eastereggs from him.
I'm supposed to be doing the learning quest, but it kind of drags on. :/ I would rather be doing a minigame right now!
Ilmarinen Moderator

Dude, and have you heard about those people joining the game and automatically getting truckloads of loot and gold? I think they must have been beta testers or something. Anyway, the only way I've found to get gold is to jut grind for hours at these boring professions. I'm talking eight hours a day here!
Eh, IRL's an okay game! It's got its ups and downs much like any other game does-- the minigames are a blast though. There are so many of them! It's like Majora's Mask with all the minigames and sidequests, but there's no definitive end of the world.

Oh sure, there's the Conspiracy Theorist class, which guesses every other day that the end of the world is coming, but they have the con of no-one believing them. Lucky for the rest of the classes.

Have you been sifting through TV Trope's Real Life Tropes Pages? They'll start to screw with your sense of reality if you're not careful. They're as tastefully done as this topic! :D
SeraphicStar

It's an okay game, but like with any other multiplayer game, I just spend most of my ingame time idling.
ARCHITECT Topic Starter

Dude, Heimdall, don't even talk to me about the beta testers. I knew one that got a mount as soon as they hit level 16. I definitely didn't have enough gold for riding skill training and a mount back then.

I do agree that the lore is very extensive and awesome, especially considering the fact that the only playable race is Human. I actually spend more Time reading the world's lore than I do playing!

I'm not sure what to tell you about the relationships thing, Witness. The interface doesn't even come up for me. In fact, no matter how vigorously I right click other players, I don't get any kind of interaction menu at all.
Ilmarinen Moderator

PS: killing mobs doesn't get you EXP. In fact, it seems to upset other players, and they'll call the mods on you.
IRL is quite difficult to say the least. It litterary takes me a full year to level up! It really requires your dedication. Though the minigames are pretty swell, they don't happen alot. You first have to get through some repetitive grinding at places called 'schools', and when you finally unlock the epic minigames, your grinding is transferred to a place called 'work', which is cool at first, but gets just as repetitive as 'school'.

Honestly, it might be fun if you're a routine loving kind of guy and have too much time on your hands. I wouldn't recommend it personally.
I've gotten pretty good at the drinking minigame, and if you play enough of it, it can really help make the grind go by faster. I also recommend finding as many players to Co-Op with as possible, and if you can make the Relationship work, it's like having double XP.
Claine Moderator

Why did I choose to play on an Asian server? :( None of my friends play here.
Claine wrote:
Why did I choose to play on an Asian server? :( None of my friends play here.

Hey, consider yourself lucky the Devs allowed for multi-server interaction! At least you can chat and play minigames with various people from other servers! :B Like us! Simply ingenious of them!

(Psst, I'm not good at this jargon. D8> *fail*)
I've been playing this game for quite some time now. Managed to get to level 22! I've been trying to get the relationship minigame to not crash after levelling, but with levelling taking so long it's always hard the pinpoint the bugs and/or issues. I did notice that the drinking minigame may sometimes randomly open the relationship interface. Maybe one needs to combine several minigames in order to succesfully reach certain milestones needed in the relationship.
On a related note, one time one of the other players I was doing the drinking minigame co-op with started covering an entire room in a strange icky slime (rare drop?!). Alas, my hygiene talent tree's passives activated and got rid of it before I could determine any market value out of it.
Anyway, maybe it was a good thing because when I searched one of the the game's wikis (www.google.com) for fluids spawned by fellow players, most of them were common drops and oftentimes capable of putting harmful DoT effects on you.
on the subject of drinking minigames, I am playing one right now... Strangely, it's called "Type a straight sentience, asshat."
Thank goodness for that red squiggly line that comes up in OOC communication in "Real Life"
Sanne Moderator

Damnit, I came down with a disease and can't seem to find my Cure Disease potion. :( Does anyone have a spare one?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Make that a spare two?
TheLily

I've been playing for quite a while. I've made the relationship feature work for the most part, but I think that I increased my level of flirt too high. It's not an issue most of the time, but I can't help but keep gaining "creepy-friendly" people in my life and secondary love interests (damn you, Sanne!)

I just started the University side-quest and it seems like a lot of extra work I honestly don't want to do, it features interesting books to read and boosts social interaction a lot! I was surprised, because some people told me that I wouldn't have time for social endeavours if I took the side-quest up. I'll say that even with the extra work I'll be able to do more social things than when I had a Job.

I do agree with Sanne, though, that the RP mini-games are by far the best. I sometimes end up rushing through what I'm doing just so I can get to the next one! I wish there was a way to earn more rewards through that, rather than doing things like Work and Schooling. Ah well. At least it brought my writing skill and creativity up.

:)

All in all, 4/5 stars. Minus one star for not being dramatic enough for my liking.
Sanne Moderator

sHt3j.jpg

This says it all.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » IRL

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus