Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Winter's Writing Tips

Heyo, this thread is awesome!

But aside from complimenting you for providing an excellent public service, I wanted to ask, have you heard of the Youtube channel Overly Sarcastic Productions? They have done a series of reasonably (to me anyway) lengthed videos that you might find interesting, a series called trope talk, on Trope Talk. It starts with a video of tips on how to start your story off with an inciting event, and moves on to videos on various other subjects on writing (whether it be movies, shows, or the written word), subjects such as how to write strong female characters, just what is a Mary Sue or Paragon, and the most recent one as of a week ago, which breaks down how time travel plots are often handled and the reasons why.
MasterWinter Topic Starter

Subtleknifewielder wrote:
Heyo, this thread is awesome!

But aside from complimenting you for providing an excellent public service, I wanted to ask, have you heard of the Youtube channel Overly Sarcastic Productions? They have done a series of reasonably (to me anyway) lengthed videos that you might find interesting, a series called trope talk, on Trope Talk. It starts with a video of tips on how to start your story off with an inciting event, and moves on to videos on various other subjects on writing (whether it be movies, shows, or the written word), subjects such as how to write strong female characters, just what is a Mary Sue or Paragon, and the most recent one as of a week ago, which breaks down how time travel plots are often handled and the reasons why.

No, I have not heard of that group on YouTube. I rarely use YouTube in general. Though it sounds like that would be something good for writer's.
Ah, ok, that's fair. If you like I can link to the first video in that specific series--they put all the Trope Talk videos in a single playlist so one doesn't have to go searching through all the other stuff they post.

Subtleknifewielder wrote:
Ah, ok, that's fair. If you like I can link to the first video in that specific series--they put all the Trope Talk videos in a single playlist so one doesn't have to go searching through all the other stuff they post.

I would have no issues if you'd like to link that here.
Here's a link to the first video in the Trope Talk playlist--when it finishes it will automatically scroll to the next, and the next. New videos are periodically being uploaded, so feel free to check back once a month or so for new ones! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSSL_0ddi3s&list=PLDb22nlVXGgcljcdyDk80bBDXGyeZjZ5e

I actually had a dream about your thread last night, Winter. Coincidence? Hmmmm~

Anyhow, i wanted to bring this phenomenal resource to other Fantasy writers and world builders. This resource is called Vulgar, for Vulgar Language, and is it a fantasy language generator. Now, yes, there are payment options, but they are extremely reasonable, and if you cannot afford it - that's fine too because they will generate 200 words of a language for free based upon the consonants and vowels of your choosing.

You can find Vulgar here. <3

Demilicious wrote:
I actually had a dream about your thread last night, Winter. Coincidence? Hmmmm~

Anyhow, i wanted to bring this phenomenal resource to other Fantasy writers and world builders. This resource is called Vulgar, for Vulgar Language, and is it a fantasy language generator. Now, yes, there are payment options, but they are extremely reasonable, and if you cannot afford it - that's fine too because they will generate 200 words of a language for free based upon the consonants and vowels of your choosing.

You can find Vulgar here. <3

That is awesome! Thank you for the contribution, Demi! <3
RimCaster

Nice! That is a good link! Thanks for sharing this. ^-^
Rogue-Scribe

That is a worthy read! As one who tends to describe scenes, settings, and things, I could use the tip on editing.

This tip shared with me by: DorianM

Worldbuilding: How to write dragons

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Winter's Writing Tips

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus