Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Movies!!

Siolia

Oh jeez well, I'll just throw some movies down off the top of my head, but i'll have to update it once it isn't 1 in the morning.

Princess Bride - People probably have already put in why it's good. To me, I just like it because of fond memories, and I'm not normally a nostalgia person. It's just one of those movies that I would watch with my family over and over again, so there's some comfort in the fact that it's a fun time, genuinely, for all ages.

The Dark Crystal - Again, because of the memories attached. Most people point to Labyrinth as their most beloved puppet movie, but mine is the Dark Crystal. I think it along with Princess Bride is was really drew me to fantasy, but this move really inspired my love for dark fantasy. Just imagine Skeksis combined with Majora's Mask at 6-8 years old.

Always been a fan of musicals. If I had to pick just one, probably Chicago.

Recently, I kind of fell in love with Baby Driver,
psi

Oh man I forgot about baby driver in list of favorites from last. Such a perfectly executed idea.
Rogue-Scribe

Ok... old guy here going to throw five out here. These are ones I can watch again and again.

Casablanca - When Rick (Humphrey Bogart) gets the letter on the train platform and talks of getting his guts kicked out from the inside, yes, I been there once in life (Brenda, I'm talking about you). Such a good movie this.

Cross of Iron - There are a lot of good World War 2 movies out there, but none have stuck with me as much as this tale of a squad of Germans on the Russian front. James Coburn as Sgt Steiner is the great.

Emperor of the North Pole - A 1930's depression era depiction of life on the rails for those who were fortunate to have a job, and those who wereless fortunate. One of the main attractions for me is the genuine steam locomotives!

Farewell My Lovely - A great adaptation of Raymond Chandler's book. P.I. Phillip Marlowe is brought to life by Robert Mitchum, and he works to untangle the web of deceit an murder in 1940's Los Angeles.

Legends of the Fall - A great tale of the early 20th Century and three brothers who share a love of a woman. There is a touch of the old west in its closing days, war, the prohibition of alcohol, and the government corruption that came with it. A great performance by a young Brad Pitt, and Anthony Hopkins as 'the Colonel' is amazing.

I'll leave it at five. They aren't my "top five", just five. Maybe I'll add another five someday.

Of the movies I've seen mentioned here, I do like Princess Bride, Back To The Future (yes, even the 2nd & 3rd one), Chicago (gotta thing for Catherine Zeta Jones), Silence of the Lambs, Breakfast Club (Yes, I get what the issues are here, and Molly handled it well).

Anyway, its late and I'm tired. More later.
This thread has good timing. I fractured my knee yesterday and am laid up for a couple of months, and was just about to turn to the community for movie and tv shows suggestions to keep myself occupied for the next 8 weeks. Most of these are now on my watch list thanks guys :3

I don't have a favorite movie - just many that I can watch over and over again without getting tired. Some of these might have already been mentioned, they're listed in no particular order...

- Serenity
- The Princess Bride
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- Labyrinth
- The Goonies
- Sex and Death 101
- Forgetting Sarah Marshall
- Friends with Benefits
- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
- Hero
- Chicago
- The Phantom of the Opera
- White Noise
- Stir of Echoes
- Pretty Woman
- Mambo Italiano
- so many Kevin Smith movies
Rogue-Scribe

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
I'll leave it at five. They aren't my "top five", just five. Maybe I'll add another five someday.

Well, this is Someday and I'll throw out some more...

The Big Sleep ~ Love this one for some reason. Maybe it has to do with the first time I saw it was on TV late at night as I sat up with my dad.

The Killing Fields ~ A deep movie about the fall of American-backed Cambodia and the rise of the Khmer Rouge and the genocide that followed over the next couple years.

Kelly's Heroes This dark comedy set in world war 2 France was based loosly on true events. Great all star cast, with some then-minor actors like Donald Sutherland and Gavin McLeod. This has become one of my perennial favourites.

Chinatown One of Jack Nicholson's best. He even got his eye slashed by a stunt knife that didn't work properly.

Ok, that was four.... maybe more again someday.
I adore the Harry Potter series, Love, Simon and Christopher Robin is so cute :’)
1.rampage 1,2 and 3
2.no tears for the dead
3.train to busan
4.shaun of the dead
5.reign of fire
6.Narnia the lion the witch and the wardrobe
7.grave encounters 1 and 2
8.the ring
9.the grudge 1,2 and 3
10.vanhelsing
12.dawn of the dead
13.return of the living dead
14.eight legged freaks
15.dead snow 1 and 2
16.day after tomorrow
17.red dawn

these movies are so good in my opinion especially number 1 those movies are an absolute master piece even if the effects can be cheesy at times lol
Deumeawyn

A shameless plug for a movie that just came out here in Australia and will be out in the U.S. in November (Veterans Day?) called ‘Danger Close: The Battle Of Long Tan’. My brother is one of the Vietnamese soldiers in it!
Got a few more:

Daddy's Little Girls (super dramatic romance movie, lots of moments that bring different emotions.)

Bolt (cutest)

The Princess Switch (cheesy goodness and Goddess Vanessa Hudgens)

Emo: The Musical (A musical version of Romeo and Juliet as modern teenagers, Romeo an emo guy, Juliet a peppy popular girl.)
LakotaSiouxWarrior

The dark knight. The dark knight rises. The first 3 pirates of the Caribbean movies. The Lord of the rings movies.
PenguinColada

Ha! Yes! Emperor's New Groove is amazing!

Hmmm.... This is a tough one. There are so many great movies out there.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy: TFOTR was probably my first favorite movie. I remember one Saturday morning when I was in fifth grade. My grandmother rented The Fellowship of the Ring from the local Family Video. She loaded the movie up on her grainy small television and it began. I was hooked at the intro, the vision of a beautiful fantasy world sparkling in my mind. I think this moment changed the rest of my life. Because of this, my preferred roleplay, video games, movies, books, etc. all revolve around some kind of fantasy. (Yes, I know... The movies are nothing like the books. Hush. Let me enjoy things.)

Big Fish: This is probably my favorite Tim Burtin film. (Yeah, I didn't know it was one of his, either.) The movie is a cute story about one man's life and experiences, and the way he embellishes on certain details just warms my heart. It's a good movie for the whole family.

Avengers: Infinity War/End Game: I know that these are wildly popular movies, but they are for a reason. I won't get into details because spoilers and people might not have seen them yet. Both movies were wonderfully done and leave the viewer in awe. Many, many years were spent to conclude the plot with these two movies, and you can plainly see the hard work it took to create this perfect - if not jarring - ending.

Repo: The Generic Opera: This movie isn't as family friendly as the rest (please disregard the fact that I was still a kid when I first saw it). If you like rock, gore, and a comic book styled setting in a post-apocalyptic world, you'll love Terrance Zunich's creation. I loved it so much my husband and I decided to name our son after the man (there were other reasons we chose the name, don't judge).
PenguinColada

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Ok... old guy here going to throw five out here. These are ones I can watch again and again.

Casablanca - When Rick (Humphrey Bogart) gets the letter on the train platform and talks of getting his guts kicked out from the inside, yes, I been there once in life (Brenda, I'm talking about you). Such a good movie this.

Cross of Iron - There are a lot of good World War 2 movies out there, but none have stuck with me as much as this tale of a squad of Germans on the Russian front. James Coburn as Sgt Steiner is the great.

Emperor of the North Pole - A 1930's depression era depiction of life on the rails for those who were fortunate to have a job, and those who wereless fortunate. One of the main attractions for me is the genuine steam locomotives!

Farewell My Lovely - A great adaptation of Raymond Chandler's book. P.I. Phillip Marlowe is brought to life by Robert Mitchum, and he works to untangle the web of deceit an murder in 1940's Los Angeles.

Legends of the Fall - A great tale of the early 20th Century and three brothers who share a love of a woman. There is a touch of the old west in its closing days, war, the prohibition of alcohol, and the government corruption that came with it. A great performance by a young Brad Pitt, and Anthony Hopkins as 'the Colonel' is amazing.

Of the movies I've seen mentioned here, I do like Princess Bride, Back To The Future (yes, even the 2nd & 3rd one), Chicago (gotta thing for Catherine Zeta Jones), Silence of the Lambs, Breakfast Club (Yes, I get what the issues are here, and Molly handled it well).

Anyway, its late and I'm tired. More later.
Legends of the Fall! Holy crap, I remember binge-watching the whole thing. I didn't think I was going to like it but it was incredible! Thank you for reminding me about this amazing piece.
Rogue-Scribe

Deumeawyn wrote:
A shameless plug for a movie that just came out here in Australia and will be out in the U.S. in November (Veterans Day?) called ‘Danger Close: The Battle Of Long Tan’. My brother is one of the Vietnamese soldiers in it!
I was going to go see this this weekend but we never got out of the house. Will go see it at our local theater next weekend. I hear it is good!
PenguinColada wrote:
The Lord of the Rings trilogy: TFOTR was probably my first favorite movie. I remember one Saturday morning when I was in fifth grade. My grandmother rented The Fellowship of the Ring from the local Family Video. She loaded the movie up on her grainy small television and it began. I was hooked at the intro, the vision of a beautiful fantasy world sparkling in my mind. I think this moment changed the rest of my life. Because of this, my preferred roleplay, video games, movies, books, etc. all revolve around some kind of fantasy. (Yes, I know... The movies are nothing like the books. Hush. Let me enjoy things.)

:D True that. What's a Dunedain Ranger? As much as I despise the screenplay of the Peter Jackson LotR movies, they will always be dear to me as it was during their making that I met my beautiful wife on a fan forum. We met in person and went to 'Trilogy Tuesday' in December 2003 where the theater showed the extended editions of TFOTR and TTT, and at midnight of release day showed Return of the King.
PenguinColada

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
:D True that. What's a Dunedain Ranger? As much as I despise the screenplay of the Peter Jackson LotR movies, they will always be dear to me as it was during their making that I met my beautiful wife on a fan forum. We met in person and went to 'Trilogy Tuesday' in December 2003 where the theater showed the extended editions of TFOTR and TTT, and at midnight of release day showed Return of the King.
That is adorable, if you don't mind me saying. I love hearing these kinds of love stories.

It's actually kind of funny, because these movies also drew my husband and I together in a similar way. That fantasy-struck fifth grader would of course have developed her first celebrity crush as a result of those movies (five guesses as to who).

I want to pause before I get carried away and mention that I have been and always will be an extremely awkward human being. When I entered college, that had not changed. It didn't help matters that my overbearing mother followed me, changed my degree, and arranged our classes to match. We only had one class we didn't share. One day on my to said class I peered into the student commons area and happened to notice a student who mirrored a particular blonde elf from the film (have you used all your guesses yet?). He was sitting with one of my classmates. After much debate I did something I have never done, something that is entirely out of character for me; I introduced myself. And by introducing myself I mean I just waltzed over (more like stumbled over) to the table, plopped my butt in a chair, and involved myself in their conversation. The rest is history.

I actually really enjoyed their movies and I will remember them fondly, as they introduced me to an entirely new genre. And if it weren't my schoolgirl puppy crush on someone completely unobtainable I probably would have never been interested in my husband. (Well, I might have. You just never know.)

Sorry about the novela. I tend to get carried away.
Rogue-Scribe

I watched an old classic "OK Boomer" counterculture movie today ....Easy Rider
These are my movies I don't really have a favourite so here we go

Orphan
One of my favourite horror movies, I think I watch this one almost everyday.

Two for the road
I love every movie with Audrey Hepburn and this one is just amazing.
Let's not forget Albert Finney cause he is also bloody brilliant.

The story is about 2 people who are about to get a divorce or considering one.
They are having a roadtrip and during there roadtrip they get flashbacks to their old ones and how they met each other and many more things.

Carrie (1976)

A good old horror movie, I always enjoy this one.
Funny Face
An amazing musical/film. Audrey Hepburn, Fred Astaire and Kay Thompson simply shine in this movie.
The movie is fun and amazing. The songs, the singing, dancing plus the acting make an amazing movie.

Bride of Chucky
Out of all the Chucky movies this has to be one of my all time favourites.
ChebaBeesting

My favorite movies are:

1.) John Wick movies

2.) Edward Scissorhands

3.) Nightmare Before Christmas

4.) Spaceballs
Ah...

Shawshank Redemption

Ghost

Les Miserables

The Secretary

The Sound of Music (100% love love love all the happiness and the darker subplot)

Pride and Prejudice (the one with Keira Knightly)

Yes, Edward Scizzorhands, Winona Ryder, yes.
LotR
Of course I must say this, Elvish is in my username. Tolkien has been and always will be my first love, and when ten year old me discovered that movies were made out of it, I was done for. Anytime I’m bored or need a mood boost, or I’m just feeling extra nerdy that day, these are my go to movies. (Though I tend to avoid the Hobbit.)
100000000/10 recommend (if you’re into fantasy and 3 hour long movies. Do not watch with me if you know what’s best for you!)

The Italian Job
I know it’s meant to be serious, but I found it hilarious and great. A friend of mine showed this to me a few weeks after moving into college. I lost it when I found out a young Mark Whalberg was in it. 10/10 recommend.

Cheaper by the Dozen (Steve Martin version)
Okay, I HATED this when I was younger. I’m the oldest of 5 kids, and that was enough for me. 12? Insane. But the older I got the more I could appreciate it. It’s wacky humor, but downright hilarious and sweet. Steve Martin is amazing. 9/10 recommend.

The Three Amigos
Still on a Steve Martin ramble, this is a fantastic movie. I grew up on this, too, but this was easy for me to get. Stupidity at every turn, rude humor, an awful singing number that my dad and I would sing around the kitchen, and action? Give 5 year old Istyar it!!! Why my dad thought it was okay for me to see this so young, I will never know, but I appreciate it. Give it a chance. It’s great. 10/10 recommend.

Treasure Planet
One of Disney’s forgotten movies (but it’s on Disney+!). It’s my al time favorite animated movie by them. It’s action packed, with SPACE PIRATES! What more could you want? It’s a bit odd, yes, and can be hard to wrap your head around at first, but really, if you like Star Wars, you might like this. MIGHT. 8/10 recommend because it’s an acquired taste.

Last but not least Star Wars (all of it)
Yes, controversial, I know. This is merely my opinion. I won’t go into detail. I know I’m probably going to get my head chopped off. I will not reply to anyone badgering me about my opinion. (Sad I have to say this, but this fandom is infuriatingly toxic.)
I loved the sequels. I really did. Sure, I didn’t agree with a few things, but I’m not going to harp on it because of it. The overall story was wonderful.
I loved ALL OF THE SAGA. It was beautiful. It captured my heart. I’m sad it had to end.
That’s all I’m going to say. 5/10 recommend, only because I feel sorry for those that may join a toxic fandom. I can barely hold my own in it as a Rey cosplayer. <3
Lady_Istyar wrote:
LotR

The Three Amigos
Still on a Steve Martin ramble, this is a fantastic movie. I grew up on this, too, but this was easy for me to get. Stupidity at every turn, rude humor, an awful singing number that my dad and I would sing around the kitchen, and action? Give 5 year old Istyar it!!! Why my dad thought it was okay for me to see this so young, I will never know, but I appreciate it. Give it a chance. It’s great. 10/10 recommend.

Aw...I remember that movie. Classic.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Movies!!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus