Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Crown of Laurels OOC

Ever since the death of the elven king Jhahardis Navishiène, the forests are dying and crumbling. He leaves behind no heir, as his children have fallen one by one to the forces of war. For decades now, the elves have waged a fierce war with their sworn enemies, the Orcs, over the Shrine of Mystalion, the construct that is said to give life to the whole forest. The shrine is currently in possession of the elves, however only the ruler can be blessed by it and impart its power to give life.

With King Jhadaris and his sudden, mysterious death, his envoys, the High Council, and the rest of the nobility have scrambled to set up a series of trials that allow them to choose their new king. These trials will test various portions of the elven ideal: battle prowess, stability of will, courage of heart, and mastery of the arcane. The High Council, the king's former advisors, will be the ones to oversee the contest and will ultimately be the ones to choose who is deemed worthy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rp link https://www.rprepository.com/community/forumthread.php?t=58659

This is a general chat and question ooc. To discuss more deeply and privately about plot and possible spoilers, shoot me a pm.

THIS FIRST POST WILL EVENTUALLY BECOME A COMPLETE LIST OF ELVEN NOTES AND CULTURE FOR THIS RP.
I will edit this list every so often and will also let you guys know on here when I do.

If you have suggestions for the lore, please don't hesitate to ask me.
Please subscribe to this forum as always.

Elven notes and lore:

--Elves, if left to healthy old age, can live up to an average of 1300 years with a standard deviation of 100. Maturity (human equivalent is 18-20) occurs at age 100ish. Please introduce your character using the modified age when necessary, but no need to change it on your character profiles.
--Elves have a rich cultural history and are known amongst all races for their advances in sorcery, botany, and astronomy.
--It is considered taboo for any elven family to have more than five children of he same gender.
--Superstitions such as the one above are widely known and taught.
--the traditional greeting gesture to a stranger (equivalent to first-time greeting) is a series of four gestures: a touch at the corner of the eye, the corner of the lip, the temple and the edge of the jaw. It is a representation of a guarded interaction: 'we see, we speak, we consider, we do not promise".
--like many races, elves value genetic perfection. Those with perceived afflictions are not as respected; the severity depends in the perceived affliction and subsequent bias. A 'perfect' elf tends to have radiant features, ivory skin and pale hair. Minor discrimination exists against those whose physical features do not line with the ideal, but greater malice lies against those with disabilities and incurable diseases.
--an elf born with absolutely zero magic capability is considered to be a bad omen.
--tension exists between Forest Elves and Drow because of conflicting ideals. Elves highly value tradition while drow place a high importance on pragmatism, amongst other things.
--Elves generally consider themselves a 'higher' and more refined race than most others, including other elven subspecies such as Drow.
--there are two ways to convey magic, verbally and nonverbally. Verbal is easier to learn and ultimately may use less energy.
--nobility and social standing are highly valued. There are four social castes: the royal family and the council at the top, then nobility, then tradesmen and artisans, then those who carry out only menial work.
--the orcs have essentially feuded against the elves for centuries over possession of the shrine. They have increased the severity of their offense as of the past couple of decades and some believe and foresee that the attack will become even more fervent with the sudden power vacuum the king left behind.
--the elven armies are organized into large strategic groups, while the orcs tend to favor guerilla tactics.
--Jhadaris is not actually the previous king; rather he is the previous ruler's predecessor. The ruler who recently died is his eldest daughter, Elvira Navishéne Teliek'vhran, whose reign over Urdu was relatively short (just over 50 years). Many of the Council, as well as those who support the old traditions, disdain and despise the decision that she made to ally with the human King Joseph to aid against the Orcs as she struggled to keep up the reputation and efficacy of her father before her. Consequently, there has been a decision to erase her from the elven history, as she is considered to be a stain tainting Jhadaris' model reign. She is hardly even acknowledged, and those who support her are considered radicalists.

~~~~~~~
POST ORDER:

Gweyr
Amaranthine
Corym
Liam
Xyla
Varen

(councilmembers are exempt from this order and can post whenever)
8TigerBunnyTora Topic Starter

There, I've rambled for a bit on lore. Let me know if you have questions or suggestions. I may update the lore again in the future.

Any last questions before I put up the starter later today or super early in the morning tomorrow?? Let me know either here or pm
I got a question. How would you like a 'world map' of sorts? I've made them before and they're a lot of fun. And it can help a lot when people need a frame of reference as to where they are in a setting.

Here's some samples of one's I've made:

rioren_map__no_markers__by_monochromegoggles-dbzy4jr.png
This is an unmarked one I've yet to finish the world building for.

rp_map_with_text_by_monochromegoggles-dca8c7t.png
This is the map for the world one of my own threads takes place in.

warlock_campaign_map_marked_by_monochromegoggles-dcheqg3.png
And this massive mess is my D&D group's map of the continent of Grideon.

If you'd like me to make a map, just shoot me a pm of a rough doodle of some locations, the type of terrain, etc.

Thank you for the offer! Although I can't see the images with this crappy phone at the moment; I will check them tomorrow. If I ever make a doodle I will let you know.
Roger that! I'll keep an eye out for it if you do!

In case anyone is wondering which players are supposed to show up:

Me
Tusitala2017
Syaoran555
BreezyDawn
ReverieCore
Strawberry_champion
Dndmama

No particular turn order, just be courteous.
Amaranthine (played by Dndmama)

I'm in, but my responses may be a little slow due to busy. I'll be using this character who is currently under construction.
Thanks Tora :)
Got the character art for my profile complete, just have to write out what he's capable of.

The starter is up!

High Councilmember Houzin is going to keep lecturing for a while, so just post your character's reactions or talk quietly amongst yourselves or something.

ReverieCore wrote:
I got a question. How would you like a 'world map' of sorts? I've made them before and they're a lot of fun. And it can help a lot when people need a frame of reference as to where they are in a setting.

If you'd like me to make a map, just shoot me a pm of a rough doodle of some locations, the type of terrain, etc.

I love all of this!

Not sure if I need you to create a map for Pharesia (this world) yet, because everything here is still barebones, but I, uhm, kinda want to ask if you could redo a map of mine <.< >.> I have a fantasy world that I've made a map for, and the map is somewhat old and I've been thinking of making a few changes to it... Syaoran and Breezy, yes I'm talking about Veritae
8TigerBunnyTora wrote:
ReverieCore wrote:

I love all of this!

Not sure if I need you to create a map for Pharesia (this world) yet, because everything here is still barebones, but I, uhm, kinda want to ask if you could redo a map of mine <.< >.> I have a fantasy world that I've made a map for, and the map is somewhat old and I've been thinking of making a few changes to it... Syaoran and Breezy, yes I'm talking about Veritae

Woot!
8TigerBunnyTora wrote:
ReverieCore wrote:

I love all of this!

I could take a crack at it later tonight sure. And if you're not sure what to do for the world map for this setting, I could toss something together and you can tell me what to add to it or what things to tweak.

ReverieCore wrote:

I could take a crack at it later tonight sure. And if you're not sure what to do for the world map for this setting, I could toss something together and you can tell me what to add to it or what things to tweak.

Sure, that'd be great. I have a few changes I've been thinking if for the Veritae map and so before you start on it, shoot me a pm.

And tossing something together for Pharesia would be awesome.
I'm gonna be gone for a memorial until Monday. May or may not have time for a post, just fyi

I think were waiting on Tus and Strawberry. Tus make sure you check your pms first before you post
Pretty much, but its cool tho, give me time to work on the map.

Strawberry and Tus we're waiting on you.

But Tus please reply to my PM first before you post.
I feel bad for you, Tora, that this stopped so quickly :/ want to continue without them?

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Crown of Laurels OOC

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus