Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What's your role play pet peeves?

Tbh I have a lot of different pet peeves, but given what just happened to me now...
Either my partner didn't read my reply at all... or just gave me a recycled response because it is that disconnected from my own. And I'm just like... Not sure how to respond to that... If I even want to. Just... wow.
Asroc

Some may have experienced this and I may have mentioned it.

Friend collectors. This is really common on RP ME/AniRP, etc.

@Dunedain-Ranger

One person I knew liked to target female RPers to RP a character he had a crush on. For what reason? To feed his lust. It was seriously creepy and creepy if people do those sorts of things. Plus the person did it so he could "talk" to the characters while he self inserted/RL'd himself.

It's rare to see people do that, but it gets jarring and damning, mainly when the said person is rather demanding, selfish and rude.
Asroc wrote:

@Dunedain-Ranger

One person I knew liked to target female RPers to RP a character he had a crush on. For what reason? To feed his lust. It was seriously creepy and creepy if people do those sorts of things. Plus the person did it so he could "talk" to the characters while he self inserted/RL'd himself.

It's rare to see people do that, but it gets jarring and damning, mainly when the said person is rather demanding, selfish and rude.

I came here from ANI and i know exactly what person you talk about! He is real creep that just want to smut.
Asroc

Queen_Knight wrote:
Asroc wrote:

@Dunedain-Ranger

I came here from ANI and i know exactly what person you talk about! He is real creep that just want to smut.

Oh my Budicus. I am glad I am not the only one. That guy also sent me into a mass panic, hence why I was not active on here. I was trying to recover.
RimCaster

Asroc wrote:
Queen_Knight wrote:
Asroc wrote:

@Dunedain-Ranger

Oh my Budicus. I am glad I am not the only one. That guy also sent me into a mass panic, hence why I was not active on here. I was trying to recover.

Wow, that sounds like the guy really was annoying.
Asroc wrote:
Queen_Knight wrote:
Asroc wrote:

@Dunedain-Ranger

He is indeed and so is many others on that website. I was never so happy to leave it, people were really toxic to the point i wanted to quit roleplaying for good.
RimCaster wrote:
Asroc wrote:
Queen_Knight wrote:
Asroc wrote:

@Dunedain-Ranger

Wow, that sounds like the guy really was annoying.

A lot of people there are to be honest.
Asroc

Queen_Knight wrote:
Asroc wrote:
Queen_Knight wrote:
Asroc wrote:

@Dunedain-Ranger

He is indeed and so is many others on that website. I was never so happy to leave it, people were really toxic to the point i wanted to quit roleplaying for good.

I long left AniRP back in 2015,due to one horrid drama queen there.

@Rim

The guy is pretty infamous. HE use to make accounts for people of characters as well. For what reason?

So he could talk to them.
Kat Sargent (played anonymously)

When somebody decides to block you instead of simply telling you they were uninterested in continuing / starting the role play.
Radio

Kat Sargent wrote:
When somebody decides to block you instead of simply telling you they were uninterested in continuing / starting the role play.

That and for me, when people just stop messaging you, only to occasionally poke and prod to keep you invested. Guhx99
That1Gurly Topic Starter

You know what also bugs me?

Okay, so recently I just started role playing with someone when they just stop the role play out of the blue. The like, two weeks later they ask me to role play again because no one responded to their forums and I was their “Only choice”

Like, no you stop the rp and now you want to start it up again because i’m Your last choice? Definitely not!
Hmm.

- When someone says they're a para-rper so they can rp with you but then they absolutely aren't. There's nothing wrong with people who only post half para's or one para. Everyone has their own style and limits but when I mention in a LFRP that the post length minimum is 2 paragraphs, it kind of bugs me when people who post one paragraph max and 3 sentences minimum message me about it. It's even more frustrating when I remind them of the post length minimum before the RP starts to make sure they are really sure they are comfortable with it and can do it, and they say "I think so" and I give them the benefit of the doubt but I end up getting 4 lines.

- When someone controls a side character I am supposed to control. I'm not sure if it's a normal thing, but, I usually don't play all the side characters, and don't play the side characters the other person created. I create my own side characters in the RP and I'm the one who plays them, and the other person plays the the side characters they created - or even the side characters we both created but assigned who gets to play those specific ones. I like doing it this way because it keeps the side characters consistent and allows them to develop distinct personalities if they're their often. The way I write say... side character Evie, and the way she is in my head, might be totally different if someone else starts writing her.
It's just more organized and consistent to have each person play specific side characters.

-
Putting this under a collapse because it talks about sexual assault of a character.

One thing that happened to me was during an RP (not here) the character tried to propose sensual contact when my character wasn't ready, so she said no to him and what not. I figured, 'okay that makes sense.' but the it happened again... And she reminded him she wasn't interested. Then the character straight up shoved their hand into her clothing and kissed her out of nowhere. Seriously, she was eating dinner beside him, when he did it. She got mad and shoved him away.

At this point I was really suspecting what was happening was that the player wanted smut to happen when they wanted it to happen even if the characters barely knew each other.

Now, I write out sensual content explicitly in RP, but it's never something that fully dominates plot and isn't pure smut; and my character most definitely don't continuously attempt to jump a character after they've already expressed they either aren't interested or aren't ready. I also don't get anything out of those intimate scenes. It's purely for the characters relationship.

Still I persisted, trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but then literally, the next day, he set it up so that my character and his were riding the same horse and she was in front of him and proceeded to describe his character being...too happy, and I continued, getting annoyed but continued, and had my character scoot forwards away from him and make room between them.

So, they stop to get a snack, he grabs some berries, and they both eat them, and...oh would you look at that, only after my character eats the berries does he describe the berries as having an intense aphrodisiac effect on people who eat them that is unable to be controlled. -_-

Yeah. That was NOT happening. I had her get off the horse, and he got off and started following her and trying to make out with her against a tree, so I had her lie and say she wanted to kiss him on the ground, had him lay down and then she used her powers to make him fall asleep and then I wrote her running away from him forever and then blocked the person.

In hindsight I should have done it sooner.

So yeah that's one of my pet peeves. I don't write smut, I write romance between characters with normal sensual scenes that make sense for the couple. Some couples are affectionate in that manner more often, and others aren't; and some characters are ready sooner some and ready very very late. So yeah trying to force it bugs me.

- Repeatedly not following cues for spoken about events. If we've spoken about something happening, and I give a cue for that thing, and your character decides to do something else, that's okay, for the first time, maybe even the second time, but after the third and fourth and fifth time, I'm going to stop giving cues and assume you decided against that scene we spoke about doing. I would much prefer to be messaged and told "Hey so I know I said I wanted to do that scene where 'blah blah' but I changed my mind is that okay?"

-Killing one of my side characters without warning. You can kill your own side characters without warning, that's cool. Please don't kill my characters friend without asking me unless we're doing some murder-based RP where I'm aware side characters will die at some point because I might have had something planned that requires them alive.

- Not telling me if you have ideasss! Come on! I love ideas! I always have ideas, and I want to hear your ideas. My biggest issue is people not communicating or imputting any ideas into the RP! I don't bite, and 99% of the time I will love your idea and even if I don't love it 100% I'll be willing to twist it with another idea and figure out how to get something similar that will be just as fun to happen. I am friendly and want us both to have fun! I'm rarely a - go with the flow - person. I always have 4000 scene ideas just bubbling out of my ears and will mention them at any given time even if they're irrelevent in the RP until the future. So I don't mind if people do the same.
PinkBrat

I always felt I was too picky. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in this!

- I cant stand writing in anything but third person. It's annoying to see and from my experience people who write in first person write poorly, dont know how to roleplay or worse, they mix it with real life!

- People that want a romance or erotic roleplay and then want you to only do it with them and no one else! I dont have a problem with that if it's discussed beforehand but typically i play other versions and one of scenes so having my character claimed like that is a problem for me.

- When i tell people they need to be descriptive and write a certain amount and they don't. I'm sorry if i prefer something that you dont want to do. Move along!

- When someone answers one of my ads and then tells me they can't do x,y,z when it's all required for the story I want.

- Stopping a roleplay when they dont like something instead of talking to you about it.

- Stalking/harassing because you dont reply fast enough to them or they see you doing someone else's replies.

- Canon characters. I like very very few. I hate playing with them because I dont usually know the show and because there are too many limits on what you can and cant do. Ive had one where there was a romance and it was great until they found thst character's canon partner amd dropped our roleplay for that one.

- Roleplaying with minors. Its fine in group settings where everything is clean but usually in private I get bigger for erp. And then i always hear "it's not illegal online." "In my state/country this age is legal." They clearly dont know what the online laws are.

- Poorly written characters. Not "everything" needs to be found out in roleplay. I like to know a little something before I message. I hate to message just to find out our characters dont mesh well when it could have been prevented with a little info!

- No character picture. God i hate that so much lol

- Terrible edgy characters. I do like edgy characters but when its the type where they constantly refuse characters help and such then that is annoying.

- Random starters. Very few of those are good. If youre replying to an advertisement that is better but discussing with me first is always best!

- God modders. Or those people who keep tacking on powers that make zero sense for their character. Yes there is creativity but if you have a modern type character is makes zero sense for him to have kitsune, vampire blood and turn into a wolf! Come on..

- Meta users. Only a few characters would be okay for this IF done correctly!

- Controlling someone else's characters. If you feel it must be done then discuss it first!

- OP characters. I adore those characters actually because I typically play humans or very weak characters. But when i do decide to play someone powerful for once I try to get outdone by my partner! Not cool.
That1Gurly Topic Starter

PinkBrat wrote:

To be honest though, it isn’t that person’s fault most of the time. Sometimes they either can’t find a picture online that looks most like their character, they can’t afford to buy art, their device won’t let them download pictures, their browser won’t let them put in links, or they just feel guilty using someone else’s art for their original profiles.

I only get bothered by that when the person just writes “i was to lazy to get a picture LOL
That’s when it gets annoying.
So I kind ofunderstand that
Asroc wrote:
Queen_Knight wrote:
Asroc wrote:

@Dunedain-Ranger

Hahaha, I also know who this is referring to! xD That dude is infamous. The first time I met him, he messaged and asked me for "help" and when I asked what he needed help with, he said he wanted me to make a profile for some pokemon trainer girl but he would have rules for me. SO NATURALLY I acted interested because I was curious about these rules! xD And he told me I'd only be allowed to have HIM added as a friend, and NO ONE else. LMAO. I was like. . . then why make a profile? And he said something about me not being allowed to talk to any other guys, or something. It was crazy, but that was a couple years ago so I don't remember all the specific rules. Now when I run into him, I just block him. He usually sends a greeting message saying he's lonely, or needs help, so I just block him then and there. He gets super offended if you turn him down, so it's better to just stop the conversation.

BUT ANYWAYS.

A pretty big pet peeve of mine, is when I'm trying to rp with someone and their replies are literally JUST their character's reaction to whatever is going on in the story. I've always structured my rp replies as 1) my character's reaction to things that are happening, or reaction to dialogue, etc, and then 2) my character's next actions, or something to move the story along. I mean, that's how conversations are supposed to work, right? Reacting to what someone says, then adding something new for them to react to. But a rp gets stale REAL quick if the other person just sits there and describes their reactions to story elements, but never what they do next. I feel like I'm writing the story by myself and they're just over there like "oh man... oh that was cool... oh man now things are heating up... oh man I can't believe that just happened..."

a l s o

When People Capitalize Every Word In Their Sentence For No Reason

and finally~

when people don't use any symbols or punctuation to distinguish dialogue from the narrative she said with a huff like seriously its really confusing and i can't understand why anyone thinks its a thing but its something i see a lot of
TalonHammer wrote:
-When people think ghosting is the worst possible affront a human being could make. You're responsible for your own happiness, and this is just a hobby. If someone felt that you might react badly to rejection and decided to just stop talking to you, you might want to assess how you act. Plus, you never know what someone has going on in their real life that would cause them to stop replying, it might not have anything to do with you at all.

This. All of this. Thank you so much. ;w;

Though I do have one personal peeve that ticks me off to this day: cutting someone off from roleplay after they explain that their life is just a little bit more important.

In relation to said personal peeve...
A long while back, I was accepted into this small KH roleplay and updates page on Facebook, and I was really getting into it. However, one of my relatives died, and I was beyond heartbroken because I dearly loved and cared for them. I told the admin that I wouldn't be back and posting until after the funeral... And they proceeded to cut me off and remove me from the group. No explanations, no nothing, just a notification that I was removed from the group. That only piled onto my heartbreak because I really liked that group and was ready to commit full-time to it.

/end of story time

Ah, and one more before I go off tangent: when people contact you for roleplay, and you know they haven't read your profile and/or your rules... Especially when you've instructed anyone who's interested to do so in your roleplay ad. My rules are also an exercise in reading thoroughly and patience. If you can't read my rules, how can I expect you to read through my roleplay replies?
A long while back, I was accepted into this small KH roleplay and updates page on Facebook, and I was really getting into it. However, one of my relatives died, and I was beyond heartbroken because I dearly loved and cared for them. I told the admin that I wouldn't be back and posting until after the funeral... And they proceeded to cut me off and remove me from the group. No explanations, no nothing, just a notification that I was removed from the group. That only piled onto my heartbreak because I really liked that group and was ready to commit full-time to it.

/end of story time

I'm really sorry Lucree. I hope that never happen(s)/(ed) here on Rpr. It's all kinds of messed up, like disregarding your real life problems and simply wanting to extract your writing for their own entertainment.
That1Gurly Topic Starter

LightSide-Lucree wrote:
TalonHammer wrote:
-When people think ghosting is the worst possible affront a human being could make. You're responsible for your own happiness, and this is just a hobby. If someone felt that you might react badly to rejection and decided to just stop talking to you, you might want to assess how you act. Plus, you never know what someone has going on in their real life that would cause them to stop replying, it might not have anything to do with you at all.

This. All of this. Thank you so much. ;w;

Though I do have one personal peeve that ticks me off to this day: cutting someone off from roleplay after they explain that their life is just a little bit more important.

/end of story time

Ah, and one more before I go off tangent: when people contact you for roleplay, and you know they haven't read your profile and/or your rules... Especially when you've instructed anyone who's interested to do so in your roleplay ad. My rules are also an exercise in reading thoroughly and patience. If you can't read my rules, how can I expect you to read through my roleplay replies?

Ah, yes, I do agree with you. Not being active for a while because of personal issues is fine. But when you don’t reply to me and I clearly see that you are posting 50 trillion times a day on other forums, I will confront you about it. Again, not replying because you’re busy or issues have occurred IRL, it’s okay, i’ll get that, but ignoring someone for no reason is really rude.
My pet peeve is small, but it really annoys me for some reason. It's when play say "My character would grab his sword." WOULD he do it or does he actually do it?
PinkBrat wrote:
I always felt I was too picky. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in this!

- I cant stand writing in anything but third person. It's annoying to see and from my experience people who write in first person write poorly, dont know how to roleplay or worse, they mix it with real life!

- People that want a romance or erotic roleplay and then want you to only do it with them and no one else! I dont have a problem with that if it's discussed beforehand but typically i play other versions and one of scenes so having my character claimed like that is a problem for me.

- When i tell people they need to be descriptive and write a certain amount and they don't. I'm sorry if i prefer something that you dont want to do. Move along!

- When someone answers one of my ads and then tells me they can't do x,y,z when it's all required for the story I want.

- Stopping a roleplay when they dont like something instead of talking to you about it.

- Stalking/harassing because you dont reply fast enough to them or they see you doing someone else's replies.

- Canon characters. I like very very few. I hate playing with them because I dont usually know the show and because there are too many limits on what you can and cant do. Ive had one where there was a romance and it was great until they found thst character's canon partner amd dropped our roleplay for that one.

- Roleplaying with minors. Its fine in group settings where everything is clean but usually in private I get bigger for erp. And then i always hear "it's not illegal online." "In my state/country this age is legal." They clearly dont know what the online laws are.

- Poorly written characters. Not "everything" needs to be found out in roleplay. I like to know a little something before I message. I hate to message just to find out our characters dont mesh well when it could have been prevented with a little info!

- Terrible edgy characters. I do like edgy characters but when its the type where they constantly refuse characters help and such then that is annoying.

- Random starters. Very few of those are good. If youre replying to an advertisement that is better but discussing with me first is always best!

- God modders. Or those people who keep tacking on powers that make zero sense for their character. Yes there is creativity but if you have a modern type character is makes zero sense for him to have kitsune, vampire blood and turn into a wolf! Come on..

- Meta users. Only a few characters would be okay for this IF done correctly!

- Controlling someone else's characters. If you feel it must be done then discuss it first!

- OP characters. I adore those characters actually because I typically play humans or very weak characters. But when i do decide to play someone powerful for once I try to get outdone by my partner! Not cool.

THIS!!! All of this!!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What's your role play pet peeves?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus