Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » On A Scale Of 1-10...

Umm... 4 I guess, also you either have already typed up an essay on why you don't like bacon or you have way too much free time.

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you enjoy flirting.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

10 with my significant other on a scale from 1-10 do you like winter?
sarah18394729

LakotaSiouxWarrior wrote:
10 with my significant other on a scale from 1-10 do you like winter?

Honestly it's a 1 it's to cold for me and during the winter season i have to stay home from school and work because i am always sick oh and here are some reasons people like me hate winter:I do not know if “winter people” actually exist. All I know is that I’m definitely not one.

I view this wretched season’s icy winds, frozen slush, and musty parkas not as a natural and unavoidable part of life in the American North, but as a personal attack on me. To be clear, this is not darkness-induced seasonal affective disorder, or sad. This is me being MAD that it’s not 80 degrees out. I do not ever feel hygge. There’s usually a day in mid-January when I grouse that the weather forecast is, yet again, “38 and raining,” and angrily order another pair of those impotent touch-screen gloves that I keep losing. Then I realize there’s still more than a month to go.

The can’t-miss event for Atlantic readers

See our journalism come to life at The Atlantic Festival, September 24-26 in Washington, D.C.

promo image
Buy Now
This attitude comes as a shock even to me, since I was born in Russia and lived in St. Petersburg until I was 3. This means that not only am I failing at winter, I’m failing my countrymen.

I’ve long wondered if I can blame my inability to tolerate cold temperatures on West Texas, where I grew up, and where people cheerfully ask “Hot enough for ya?” as the sun slowly grills your corneas. The question in my hometown was never whether it was too cold to go outside, but whether it was too hot. Clothing strategies centered around covering up the most skin without sous-viding in your own sweat. You would don the thinnest T-shirt, run through the neighbor’s sprinklers, and hope you made it to your friend’s house before dehydration set in.

MORE STORIES
People walk down a path on the National Mall during a snowstorm.
Why Are There Suddenly So Many Nor'Easters?
ROBINSON MEYER
A bird perches among blooming cherry blossoms.
So Is It Spring Yet?
ROBINSON MEYER
SPONSOR CONTENT
Can Local Ingenuity Solve The Country's Biggest Problems?
GOOGLE

Why People Born in Winter Might Live Longer
OLGA KHAZAN
A person's face is obscured by a cloud of vapor.
Vaping’s Plausible Deniability Is Going Up in Smoke
AMANDA MULL

When I came to Washington, D.C., for college, I bought my first winter coat. I also seriously considered transferring to a school back home. It turns out that while Texas’s endless sunny days might have played a role, there are other reasons underpinning my winter hatred. Research suggests that there are two kinds of people who tolerate the cold very well: indigenous Arctic groups, and men. And the more people are exposed to cold temperatures, the better they acclimate.

Read: The Norwegian town where the sun doesn’t rise

Over the course of centuries, people who live in polar climates have evolved to be slightly more stout and to have shorter limbs, so they have less surface area, compared with their body mass, from which to lose heat. (Given my elk-like appendages, I assume that whatever shtetl my Russian ancestors hailed from was not quite polar enough.) Other studies suggest that polar peoples also tend to have more “brown fat,” which generates heat.

For several years, American anthropologists have been collaborating with Russian scientists to measure the basal metabolic rates, or BMRs, of the Yakut people of the Sakha Republic of Siberia. In Yakutsk, the Sakha’s capital city, winter temperatures hover around -30 degrees Fahrenheit. The basal metabolic rate is how much energy your body burns just to keep you alive, and a higher one reflects greater heat production. The scientists have found that Siberians have higher BMRs than people who live at lower latitudes, and that translates to them both needing more calories to stay alive and feeling warmer when it’s cold out. The Siberians’ BMRs rev up even higher as the temperature drops. According to one of the lead researchers on these studies, the Northwestern University anthropology professor William Leonard, this effect is consistent across other cold-climate populations.

Being a non-Siberian Russian can’t help me in this department. When Leonard and his colleagues compared the indigenous Siberians with nonindigenous Russians who just happened to live in the area, the Russians still had higher than average metabolic rates, but the indigenous Siberians’ rates were even higher. “With long-term, repeated exposure to cold, all humans have some capacity to increase their acclimatization to cold,” Leonard says. “But those populations with a deep evolutionary history seem to have genetic adaptation.”

The way the Siberians’ bodies generate these high metabolisms is by increasing their uptake of thyroid hormones, the chemicals released by a gland that sits in the neck. However, people who don’t have this adaptation shouldn’t just take synthetic thyroid hormones to try to replicate the effect, Leonard says. Doing so might confuse your thyroid so that it no longer functions normally. Indeed, Leonard says that there are a lot of thyroid problems among the elderly Yakut, suggesting that not even this natural cold-weather adaptation is consequence-free.

On the plus side, having a higher BMR does make the Yakut somewhat less likely to gain weight. Compared with the tropical Bolivian populations Leonard has studied, the Yakut have better cardiovascular health, even though they tend to have stockier bodies than the Bolivians do and both groups’ diets have changed over the years.

BMR also helps explain why men—of all nationalities—tend to be better at tolerating the cold than women are. Women are often too cold at work because office-building temperatures are set to the men’s higher metabolic rates, according to a 2015 study on “female thermal demand,” which is my new term for the fights I start with my boyfriend over our apartment’s thermostat. Men, the study found, might be comfortable at temperatures as much as 5 degrees lower than women are.

Read: The benefits of being cold

Even if you don’t have the hearty genes of a Yakut, you can still learn to love—or at least tolerate—the cold. There are always “behavioral adaptations,” like putting on warm clothing or going for brisk walks. Ollie Jay, a professor in thermoregulatory physiology at the University of Sydney, once lived in Ottawa, one of the coldest capital cities on Earth. “My first year there, I was miserable in the cold in the winter,” he told me. “The best thing I ever did was spend $7.50 on a fleece thing that could cover my nose, cheeks, and ears. It made such a difference to my level of discomfort.”

Jay told me that people can psychologically adapt to the temperature outside if they are exposed to it for about 10 days or more. That’s why those last few 40-degree March days feel so much warmer than the first 40-degree day of November. He and others have found that people who are exposed to the cold more often tend to shiver less and feel less cold, which suggests that their bodies got better at keeping them warm from the inside.

“As you become more acclimated to the cold, your body becomes more effective at delivering warm blood to the extremities, your core temperature goes up, and all that contributes to being more resistant to the cold,” Leonard told me.

That means the only cure for hating winter, unfortunately, is just more winter.

1-10 if you have siblings do you 1- HATE THEM or do you 10 LOVE THEM but if you don't have any siblings do you 1-10 like being an only child?
LakotaSiouxWarrior

10 on a scale from 1-10 do you like fishing?

Not a big fan. Don't like hurting most living creatures--except mosquitoes and other biting insects.

1-10 How much do you enjoy world-building, with or without your roleplaying?
Rogue-Scribe

9 ... I like it in roleplaying.

1-10 how much do you like rp character building?
Another 9. BUt I always agonize over every last detail so it takes me forever

1-10 do you like the rain?
LakotaSiouxWarrior

10 on a scale from 1-10 do you love all you can eat buffets?
1-10 how do you love a beach wedding?
LakotaSiouxWarrior

10 good idea thanks on a scale from 1-10 do you like Christmas?
1-10 How much you like to sing?
LakotaSiouxWarrior

10 on a scale from 1-10 do you like going to the movies?
Deumeawyn

1-10 do you like movie theatre popcorn?
LakotaSiouxWarrior

10 on a scale from 1-10 do you like meeting your significant others family?
Rogue-Scribe

10! They are awesome!

1-10 ... 🌮 tacos? 🌮

How much do you like the summer?
1-10 PIZZA
Rogue-Scribe

Depends on what’s on it.

1-10 walking in the rain?
Taz

I hate Rain! gets me soaked and wet. im like a cat who wont touch water but instead of water its rain. (if you understand)

1-10 would you kiss a stranger who is chatting you up?
Rogue-Scribe

9 - Sure why not. :)

1-10 do you like naps?

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » On A Scale Of 1-10...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus