Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2019 » Puzzle2 symbol discussion (SOLVED)

Heimdall wrote:
The Atlantean script on the portal spells out "BYHNTIALR." The four letters that are singled out are "BHAR." [...] But if we take BYHNTIALR and shift it 4 letters forward, we get FCLRXMEPV, and shifted backward we get XUDJPEWHN. Due to the Xs, I don't have high hopes that those are right, but maybe!

So, there's only one T? (We are aware it spells Labyrinth, right?)

Though, the fact both have Xs might make it all the more reasonable?

4 letters shifted forward ...has few words that make immediate sense to me.

The latter (4 shifted backwards) has "When" in the letters.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Yup, "labyrinth" was the answer to Puzzle1! It was just a descramble of BYHNTIALR. The portal in the comic and the portal in the video have different text around them, and I'm thinking now that this puzzle has to do with the text in the video. But I could be wrong! (If you try out any answers on the obelisk, feel free to post any that don't work here. :))
Dragonfire Moderator

After watching the video, I'm thinking this one definitely has to do with the portal text there. Those 'pointers' are very distinct!
Ilmarinen Moderator

Yeah, with the zoom in!
A phrase where we enter... that is a strange clue
Ilmarinen Moderator

It miiiight have to do with the phrase "kzxo iep tkleo vdo bdhh" which appears over a doorway in the latter half of the video, that a monster comes out of. I could be wrong about one or two letters, so if anyone wants to double check, that would be great!
Ilmarinen Moderator

I ran that phrase through a vigenere decryption using "TVOG" and "GOTV" as keys, but neither resulted in anything useful.
What if we lined up each of the letters with the letter A in a Caesarian Cipher? If I remember correctly, that's how it works, right? I'll have to refine my cipher skills a bit.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Worth a shot! :) T is a shift of 19, V would be 21, O is 14, and G is 6. I think.
Ilmarinen Moderator

But wait...
Ilmarinen Moderator

Kzxo -> tvog. Are all those letters the same distance apart? Like, K from T, and X from V?
Ilmarinen Moderator

Eh, no, doesn't look like it
Ilmarinen Moderator

(Z to V, sorry, and X to O.) Those shifts are 9, 2, 4, 8.
Alright, I'll try it out.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Can anyone read the letters on the portal on the INSIDE of the labyrinth? Are they the same as the outside (ie, the alphabet)? I can't tell if they're supposed to be readable or not >_>
I'll see if I can check it out, but none of our shifts worked. I'll try out some random numbers and see if I can find anything.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Brute force agogo!!
Randomness didn't work. Don't know if we're deciphering the right thing.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I'm like... 80% sure the encrypted text is "kzxo iep tkleo vdo bdhh." The question now is what kind of cipher it's using ... or cipherS!
Dragonfire (played by Dragonfire)

*gets out a pencil, makes some scribbles, starts chewing thoughtfully on an inkwell*

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2019 » Puzzle2 symbol discussion (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus