Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » 🎵 Musicians - what instrument do you play?

Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Yersinia wrote:
I have a 5-string banjo that I absolutely cannot play except for serenading my lizard (Clementine) with Oh My Darling Clementine lmao.

It was tucked in a corner of my family's house untouched for seven years, which I thought was a shame, so I just took it the last time I visited. Don't know how to do much aside from tuning it. The hick blood is strong in me, so I'll look into lessons someday and figure out how to play the dang thing.

Haha...I am sure that there are YouTube videos for that. Because there are YouTube videos for everything. What a charming instrument. :)
Novus

giphy.gif
(actual footage of me in high school marching band... kidding)

Whenever I was in middle/high school, I was a very proud first-chair trumpeter. I was able to hold a note for 30+ seconds as well as reach ones that were far off of the staff. I'm normally a very humble person, but I was just that good.

However, that was many moons ago, and said trumpet is sitting in the back of my closet. Out of sheer curiosity, I recently brushed the dust off (quite literally) and made an attempt at something but the resulting sound was similar to that of a pained walrus.

So.

Somnom wrote:
French horn for 8 years! Also interchanged with the mellophone for marching/sports band because the band director made us. I can also play various wooden flutes and my dad taught me how to play harmonicas when I was kid! I want to teach myself clarinet, but I've got other things on my plate at the moment.

Woot woot. I love the sound of the French horns when they come into the piece. So mellow and regal. <3

Wooden flutes -- oh yeah. I sort of learned one of those once. And an ocarina I bought from the Renaissance Festival. Clarinet is cool...Reed instruments are kinda different. I swear, I think I crave the taste of wood now because of moistening reeds for 7 years. But yeah, I know what you mean. I wish adults in bands were a common thing. :p I get my musical fix by doing karaoke instead.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
_KittyKat_ wrote:
Ukulele (^:

I can play...
"Kashmir" By Led Zeppelin
"Come As You Are" by Nirvana
"Island In The Sun" by Weezer
"Can't Help Falling In Love" by Twenty-One Pilots. (Cover, obviously. Love ya Elvis, but this version sounded better.)
"Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz

and.. I have made up a few tunes of my own. I have this one blues tune I made up and it sounds phenomenal! Just sayin'..

I love all those songs.

Hmm...Nirvana on a ukelele? So... unexpected! That must sound neat.

Yep yep, it is my belief that everyone who plays an instrument has written an original tune...or at least a snippet of one. It's like...this human drive. We must create. :) <3

Right? That is exactly what I was thinking with the whole Nirvana on ukulele. I found the tab for it and then, a million mess ups later, I have gotten it down. It doesn't sound half bad?

Another song by Nirvana played on a Ukulele. I suggest you check this out.. It is mind-boggling. This kid is like under 10 years old. He's just jammin' the hell outta it. Pure talent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQhk_c8QojQ

Birdy99 wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
That's impressive, Birdy. Now, when I say I "play" the piano, I'm about like you were with the flute. Well...maybe a little better than that, but it's like...I can count on one hand the songs I can play well. Those are the ones that I use to impress non-piano players with. LOL. I can play "Imagine" by John Lennon, "Heart and Soul" (this old peppy beginners' tune), "Dixie," "Lean on Me," and "Pachebell's Cannon."

Everything else, I sound like a kid fumbling around a bit. XD Or I can play chords only and accompany simple songs (C, E, G... repeat lol). Like, say, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"...haha. In other words--you'd blow me away with you playing! I'd be totally fooled and impressed by your Celine Dion song and all the others, I'm quite sure.

But yeah, classical pianists seem superhuman XD. Lol

That all sounds pretty good actually, 10/10 can impress anybody with your piano skills. Most people don’t expect others to suddenly go for Fur Elise or idk...the Bumblebee right from the bat hahahaha.
😚😚😚 Can’t believe you remembered that though. Hhh (celine dion)

And...

Classical pianists don’t seem superhuman, they are superhuman. The joke is that there are only 24 hours in a day but classical pianists somehow manage to practice for 26 hours per day. 🤨 😂😂😂

Hahahaha. It's some form of magic, I tell you! It's witchcraft! Jk jk. I had never heard that joke; I like it.

Well thank you. Your Celine Dion comment wasn't that long ago! I remember things. *shrugs* :) Oh yeah...Fur Elise. The Flight of the Bumblebee. Yep. Yeppppp. All very familiar. Funny how some things are universal, huh?

Novus wrote:
giphy.gif

Whenever I was in middle/high school, I was a very proud first-chair trumpeter. I was able to hold a note for 30+ seconds as well as reach ones that were far off of the staff. I'm normally a very humble person, but I was just that good.

However, that was many moons ago, and said trumpet is sitting in the back of my closet. Out of sheer curiosity, I recently brushed the dust off (quite literally) and made an attempt at something but the resulting sound was similar to that of a pained walrus.

So.

Hehe! Congrats. And Awww. Well I dunno what I'd sound like on a clarinet these days either. ;)
nightmqre

During my first year and second year of high school I used to be able to play a ukulele pretty well, and I was getting good guitar too. Then I injured hand quite a bit and kinda just...stopped playing. Now I can't play at all lol

_KittyKat_ wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
_KittyKat_ wrote:
Ukulele (^:

I can play...
"Kashmir" By Led Zeppelin
"Come As You Are" by Nirvana
"Island In The Sun" by Weezer
"Can't Help Falling In Love" by Twenty-One Pilots. (Cover, obviously. Love ya Elvis, but this version sounded better.)
"Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz

and.. I have made up a few tunes of my own. I have this one blues tune I made up and it sounds phenomenal! Just sayin'..

I love all those songs.

Hmm...Nirvana on a ukelele? So... unexpected! That must sound neat.

Yep yep, it is my belief that everyone who plays an instrument has written an original tune...or at least a snippet of one. It's like...this human drive. We must create. :) <3

Right? That is exactly what I was thinking with the whole Nirvana on ukulele. I found the tab for it and then, a million mess ups later, I have gotten it down. It doesn't sound half bad?

Another song by Nirvana played on a Ukulele. I suggest you check this out.. It is mind-boggling. This kid is like under 10 years old. He's just jammin' the hell outta it. Pure talent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQhk_c8QojQ

You know what song I also picture being cool on ukelele? Nirvana's "Man Who Sold the World." Idk why. It just seems...suited.

"...nothing on the top but a bucket and a mop, and an illustrated book about birds..."

:)

I gotta go but keep the instruments comin' <3 :)

Man, I really wanna play ukelele now!

StaticNightmares wrote:
During my first year and second year of high school I used to be able to play a ukulele pretty well, and I was getting good guitar too. Then I injured hand quite a bit and kinda just...stopped playing. Now I can't play at all lol

Aw. Maybe one day it'll come back. Maybe it's like riding a bicycle. Muscle memory?
Yay, music people *_*

I’ve been playing flute for almost 7 years now... Funny thing I’m studying music in college at the moment and I’m planning on continuing learning it at university. Wow, I’m so surprised to see so many people here that plays music: that’s amazing <3

Technically I also play a bit of piano and violin but can’t say it sounds amazing, ahah.
Novus

Abigail_Austin wrote:
Novus wrote:
giphy.gif

So.

Hehe! Congrats. And Awww. Well I dunno what I'd sound like on a clarinet these days either. ;)
Perhaps you should attempt and record it. And share it. For science. :P
I play the piano, the viola and I'm learning the guitar. :)
I play the classiest instrument imaginable, the baritone saxophone. I also play it's smaller cousin, the alto saxophone. Part time percussionist as well, and hoping to learn trombone.
I play the flute and have been playing for almost 10 years! I've always wanted to learn either the piano or the violin and slowly I'm experimenting with the piano. My flute is an absolute dinosaur that I could never bear to part with though. Currently, it's in the shop getting some much-needed repairs which makes me realize how much I love it (the shop gave me a loaner but we don't vibe well. Anyone else play their instrument so much it almost develops a persona or am I just crazy?
Claire143 wrote:
I play the flute and have been playing for almost 10 years! I've always wanted to learn either the piano or the violin and slowly I'm experimenting with the piano. My flute is an absolute dinosaur that I could never bear to part with though. Currently, it's in the shop getting some much-needed repairs which makes me realize how much I love it (the shop gave me a loaner but we don't vibe well. Anyone else play their instrument so much it almost develops a persona or am I just crazy?

Oh no, you’re not alone~
It also happens to me, i always feel like my flute is somewhat special. My previous violin teacher was also giving names to her music instruments, she thought that the wood made it somehow "alive“. I’m still debating if I should give a name to my flute as well.

Im curious: are you studying music or living from music? And what’s your flute’s brand? 🤔
RimCaster

So far I'm playing on my vocal cords, in future I would like to learn how to play piano and guitar.

Edit: I play on the nerves too.
I've been playing trombone for about 7 years now for my school band but I'm still definitely not an expert at it. I would love to learn how to play the guitar. I actually have my own guitar; I just don't have the time or motivation to sit down and teach myself how to play.
RimCaster wrote:
So far I'm playing on my vocal cords, in future I would like to learn how to play piano and guitar.

I sing as well! What kinds of songs do you sing?
RimCaster

_KittyKat_ wrote:
RimCaster wrote:

I sing as well! What kinds of songs do you sing?

Something slow and with simple lyrics considering english is my second language. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It's hit and miss.
Jence wrote:
Claire143 wrote:

Oh no, you’re not alone~
It also happens to me, i always feel like my flute is somewhat special. My previous violin teacher was also giving names to her music instruments, she thought that the wood made it somehow "alive“. I’m still debating if I should give a name to my flute as well.

Im curious: are you studying music or living from music? And what’s your flute’s brand? 🤔

I played from 6th grade until I graduated high school. So I formally studied music then. Ever since I graduated I’ve still taken my flute out and played songs but no formal studying. As soon as my flute is out of the shop I’ll be joining a local wind ensemble.

My flute is an Armstrong and I have yet to ever give it a name 😂

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » 🎵 Musicians - what instrument do you play?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus