Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Anybody else feel like shite?

COVID-19 has me at home all day, lessons are cancelled and we're going digital this week. I think I might have gotten the virus, but it's not as dangerous for my age range anyway. Anybody else feeling like a pile of shitballs?
I might be infected, but it looks like due to lack of tests I’m not going to get tested anytime soon - we’ll see. I expect to feel more like shite in the upcoming days, so far it’s pretty bearable.
TardisCatTwo Topic Starter

Same tho

I just don't want to get tested, it'll go away
I don't think there is any risks if you're younger than 70, unless you have a weak immune system. But I think everything would be fine, people say that the flu is worse than this virus. But it sucks to have to stay at home for so long. :( Hope you guys feel better.
MangoNekros

There was a slight conflict with my body and some type of disease, I am unsure whether it was COVID-19 or just the flu, but I have recovered. After I beat the fever, I had a cough, sore throat, and headache which gradually weakened. I took lozenges and Advil to fix my problems temporarily, and they worked.
Zapsalis wrote:
I don't think there is any risks if you're younger than 70, unless you have a weak immune system. But I think everything would be fine, people say that the flu is worse than this virus. But it sucks to have to stay at home for so long. :( Hope you guys feel better.

Half of the people needing intensive care in the Netherlands are under 50, that’s a huge ratio. Nobody except kids under 9 (no deaths so far) (found data in child mortality even in this age range, it’s under 0.01% but it exists) is really safe. The “no risks if you’re under 70” is rubbish.

Also, as a person who has a very weak immune system, I really don’t appreciate that kind of a comment. I’m actually fairly likely to die from this. It’s the biggest risk I might have faced in my life. Being unable to breathe due to lungs full of mucus doesn’t sound like a very appealing end. BTW I’ve only recently recovered from the flu and this is already worse.

Please take care and be responsible, even if your immune system is strong you might experience complications if it’s unable to deal with this particular new virus. This is way, way worse than the flu.
MangoNekros wrote:
There was a slight conflict with my body and some type of disease, I am unsure whether it was COVID-19 or just the flu, but I have recovered. After I beat the fever, I had a cough, sore throat, and headache which gradually weakened. I took lozenges and Advil to fix my problems temporarily, and they worked.

That’s great! I’m glad to hear you recovered.
I was about to come in here demanding to know who hurt TardisCat, so I guess I'm going to have to Miss Frizzle this and go fight some COVID.

All jokes aside, HI TARDISCAT!!! Two, goddang, poor thing. The third and final thing, To anyone who has it, keep yourself hydrated and eat healthily.

I'm not a doctor but this the list my father, a Nurse Practitioner told me.
1. NO CAFFEINE (green tea is ok)

2. NO SUGAR (check ingredient labels! NO HONEY. NO ADDED SUGAR(S). NOTHING ENDING IN "OSE" eg, sucrose, sucralose, fructose, etc)

3. NO TOBACCO

4. NO ALCOHOL

5. NO FRIED FOODS

These items are known to weaken the immune system, if you don't need to go out please don't go out, keep yourself warm, get plenty of rest, I don't need anyone dropping dead, but even if you just drink plenty of water or some liquid (I'd suggest seven up, tastes great and has a not so bad amount of sugar to keep your blood sugar steady) and get lots of rest you'll all probably be just fine.

I've been lucky enough to keep healthy, but I'm in the Midwest so it hasn't hit very hard here yet, mostly just worrying about my grandparents both of whom whose health is unsteady. Keep yourselves safe and I love you all.
I go back and forth, either feeling super bad or being fine. I do have a cough and I'm unsure if it's just my regular once-a-year-cough thing or if I should actually get tested. I have a weak immune system but I'm just choosing to believe that it's fine in this case. Here they don't test you just for showing symptoms, they just tell you to keep your distance and call a doctor if your symptoms becomes worse. I'm not too worried about it, or at least I try not to be, but it is super annoying not knowing if there's anything to be worried about.
Major_payne25

With me it’s given me time to spend with my family this whole COVID-19 business... I also have tried to do other things in order to not let the boredom set in! Like in a few days I’m going to be hosting a big airsoft game and I’ve been building props since yesterday! Again for me keeping my hands busy helps with not feeling like crap... it’s also given me time to finish my book after about 6 months of on and off writing I’ve finally finished it!
I feel like shite right now. My work sent me home all because I was coughing, and that I called out more than three times. On top of it because I haven't gone see a doctor because of me calling out. -_-; I am like..its just the flu! It isn't the coronavirus! Come on people! Argh! Now I am worried I wont get paid for my last two weeks work. -_- Stupid COVID-19! Everyone panicking over nothing! It's just the flu but more serious. No one thinks about the deaths that the flu has done. We literally had between 2018 and 2019 regarding a flu crisis! More babies, adults, and elders have died then! No one thinks about that! No one shut schools or other places down! No one said, "HEY! You can't be here! You have the flu!" NO! Everyone went about their day just telling people to get their flu shot. Come on people! REALLY!? Now you are doing this all because people are getting infected.
-_-;

Humans are such idiots.

Sorry..I didn't mean to vent. Just a lot going on right now.
Sanne Moderator

There is some seriously concerning misinformation about the virus in this thread. Please be diligent in not undermining the seriousness of this virus and what it means, especially for those who have pre-existing conditions.

1. Corona is definitely more serious than the flu. That is an inherent property of the virus, the flu might have pneumonia as a complication but it's not part of the influenza illness itself, covid-19 has primarily upper respiratory tract infections and pneumonia as part of what the illness is. This is an important distinction and why people with pre-existing conditions, such as asthma, are much more at risk from covid-19 than from the flu.

2. The data on how many deaths the flu causes contains a full year's worth of data, whereas the virus has only had a few months worth of data and this data is very incomplete. The mortality rate of the covid-19 is many times more than the flu with the numbers we currently have, plus it's expected 60-70% of the population will become infected with no existing immunity nor any existing vaccines like we have with the flu (which is why the flu is less of a big deal to us, it used to be a very vicious killer before modern medicine). We're seeing an exponential growth rate in the number of infections which will only keep growing. That's what makes this so much more serious than the yearly flu.

3. Age is not the only determining factor here, and young people are not immune from serious complications just because they're young. Please continue to diligently wash your hands, avoid touching your face, stay home as much as possible and avoid contact with other people. Only go out if you absolutely must. Even if you appear healthy!

4. Please be conscious with what you label as 'weakening the immune system' and what people should avoid eating. Sugar is not inherently bad and for some of us very much needed, for example. There is a lot of bad information going around, such as "If you can hold your breath for 10 seconds you're not infected", please don't spread this kind of misinformation.
Thank you Sanne for stepping in. I agree wholeheartedly. I have been following the data from China since a month ago and as there is more information becoming available, it’s growing more and more concerning.

I would like to add that:
  • We are not used to anything this contagious. This virus survives on surfaces for up to several days. If you touch something and then rub your eyes, nose or mouth, you can get infected that way. Flu dies within a few hours when on surfaces, so you don’t need to be anywhere near so careful if you haven’t seen anyone touch something for a few hours or if you came from the outside and left it alone for a few hours. For example, if you touched your phone while outside, you have to wash it (carefully) or you’re at risk of catching corona. Same for produce you got, etc.
  • Up to 20% of patients need hospital care. If they don’t receive it due to lack of personnel, beds or equipment, they will probably die from suffocation.
  • There is no way to effectively reduce coronavirus viral load whereas there are numerous antivirals that can be used in an emergency to kill the flu virus and prevent serious complications. These antivirals have not been found to work for Covid-19.
  • There is not enough testing being done, due to lack of testing kits in Europe and US. So the numbers you are seeing of confirmed infected are much lower than reality.
  • There are cases of reinfection of cured patients with coronavirus. It’s not certain whether this is due to too early declaration of someone being cured, or if the virus mutated.

So far there are two known major mutations of the virus, and it’s only about 4 months old. It’s quite possible that even previously cured people will get reinfected with the new versions that will keep popping up. This is an RNA virus, which means that there is only one strand in its genetic material. We have two and thus an ability to repair out genetic code because if corrupted, there is another copy in the other strand (inaccurate but I don’t want to go into too much detail). When coronavirus mutates, the mutation takes off immediately and then it’s a question of how many people it spreads to. This is really bad, imagine having a pandemic every year.

In addition, it’s starting to seem that many people have reduced lung capacity after being cured, making them unable to do things that they were able to do before. It’s too early to determine whether this is reversible or not. I’m going on data from a doctor in Hong Kong who saw about a dozen patients after recovery and a few of them had issues with breating when walking briskly. It’s not much to go on, but in most regions doctors are still very preoccupied with new cases so I imagine that there isn’t much research being done into aftereffects.

Update 3/19:
One antiviral was found to (probably) work for Covid-19: https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/18/japanese-flu-drug-appears-effective-in-coronavirus-treatment-in-chinese-clinical-trials
The article is from yesterday. Presumably it will take a long time to make enough of it, plus I have no idea how expensive it’s going to end up being. This underscores the importance of staying healthy for as long as possible until testing and drugs are more widely available. Self-isolate if possible, and stay safe.
Hi Tardis I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I'm certainly feeling anxious myself as things ramp up. If you need to talk via PM I'm here <3

Secondly;
jpdelta wrote:
I'm not a doctor but this the list my father, a Nurse Practitioner told me.
1. NO CAFFEINE (green tea is ok)

2. NO SUGAR (check ingredient labels! NO HONEY. NO ADDED SUGAR(S). NOTHING ENDING IN "OSE" eg, sucrose, sucralose, fructose, etc)

3. NO TOBACCO

4. NO ALCOHOL

5. NO FRIED FOODS

These items are known to weaken the immune system,

Most of these things to avoid only hurt you if you have an allergy or a specific dietary issue already. Sugar, fried foods, and caffeine do not weaken the immune system.

PLEASE do not suggest people restrict foods. It is not healthy or benefitical in any way to completely restrict certain foods or food categories unless you have a very specific personal dietary affected illness. Especially not when it comes to a virus. In fact, your bodies response to sudden food restriction can make you feel sick, which is not going to help in this situation at all.
MercyInReach wrote:
Most of these things to avoid only hurt you if you have an allergy or a specific dietary issue already. Sugar, fried foods, and caffeine do not weaken the immune system.

PLEASE do not suggest people restrict foods. It is not healthy or benefitical in any way to completely restrict certain foods or food categories unless you have a very specific personal dietary affected illness. Especially not when it comes to a virus. In fact, your bodies response to sudden food restriction can make you feel sick, which is not going to help in this situation at all.

I can confirm that when I cut out sugar years ago, it did not go smoothly and it triggered a bunch of issues for me. I benefited from cutting out white sugar and replacing it with less processed sweeteners, but I would not recommend doing such a thing now.

On the other hand, if a person can bear the thought of cutting out smoking, now is a good time. Smoking weakens the lungs, Covid-19 attacks the lungs.
I’m feeling gradually shittier and shittier. Very tired, plus breathing difficulties continue. Heat helps a lot - I have a large electric heating pad in bed. My body doesn’t seem to be able to raise its temperature above 36,8 C, so this helps.
It looks like there is a genetic component involved: 4 members of a large family in the US have died and several more are in critical condition, all but one seem to have been under 60: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/nyregion/new-jersey-family-coronavirus.html
They’re of Italian origin. The mother had 11 children.
nightmqre

Feeling like a heap of shit lmao. School is cancelled until (possibly) September, classes are online, I'm sick, and we haven't been able to buy a decent amount of food in aged because people are panic buying absolutely everywhere so there's no food left on the shelves.
I’ve just started feeling extra shitty and my temperature is finally up, too :-/
Alecia wrote:
On the other hand, if a person can bear the thought of cutting out smoking, now is a good time. Smoking weakens the lungs, Covid-19 attacks the lungs.

I stand corrected, lol: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/french-study-suggests-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus
The world is truly an unpredictable place.

BTW I hope everyone who was feeling like shite has gotten better!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Anybody else feel like shite?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus