Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Name Change

Novus

I've spat a few posts about my coming out as trans and me getting a divorce and moving. Well the name change documentation finally went through. I asked about it since it had been almost a month, and I guess after 15 days a plaintiff can request something go to default judgment, which happened here. It posted today and I am officially Markus!

aWXoLtY.png

Yay!

giphy.gif

As for the divorce... well, the moving day is coming up pretty quickly, and hopefully I'll make a full come-back soon.
Kim Site Admin

Congratulations! :D
MasterWinter

WAY TO GO, NOVUS! Keep hanging in there as best you can, my friend. Easier said than done, but you can do it!
Congrats!

Hopefully the rest of updating your name on everything goes smoother than mine's been so far. ^^;
Congratulations! That’s awesome!

I hope everything else goes smoothly for you, and no more trouble comes your way. Everything else will go amazing, I’m sure!
Novus Topic Starter

thank-you.gif
Congrats my friend!! I love you so much! I'm so proud of you <3
I cannot even begin to understand your elation. That must be so freeing. Huge major changes but good ones and I am so happy for you! <3

Congratulations. Keep on going on <3
Novus Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Congratulations! :D
Thank you so much, Kim! <g>

Winters_Fury wrote:
WAY TO GO, NOVUS! Keep hanging in there as best you can, my friend. Easier said than done, but you can do it!
I've been hanging pretty precariously these past couple of months, to be honest. ^^; But things are starting to actually come together. Thank you.

Zelphyr wrote:
Congrats!

Hopefully the rest of updating your name on everything goes smoother than mine's been so far. ^^;
Oof. So far it's been a pain getting everything together. What troubles are you having? Are people not accepting the name change requests? Is there anything I might be able to do to help?

JacksonHallow87 wrote:
Congratulations! That’s awesome!
I hope everything else goes smoothly for you, and no more trouble comes your way. Everything else will go amazing, I’m sure!
Oh I really hope so, but I am not as optimistic. D: I'll be trying to figure all of this out, change my name for everything, and then do it all over again after I move in the next week. Thank you, Jackson!! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

MercyInReach wrote:
Congrats my friend!! I love you so much! I'm so proud of you <3
I love you too, Mercy. <3 Thank you.

Demilicious wrote:
I cannot even begin to understand your elation. That must be so freeing. Huge major changes but good ones and I am so happy for you! <3

Congratulations. Keep on going on <3
It is entirely freeing! I feel so much better since I came out in February, and it's been a rocky journey with its fair share of potholes but I'm finally being me. I mean, it's also taking a divorce to do it, but that's okay. ^^;

Thank you!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!<3<3<3<3
Congrats :)
Novus wrote:
Zelphyr wrote:
Congrats!

Oof. So far it's been a pain getting everything together. What troubles are you having? Are people not accepting the name change requests? Is there anything I might be able to do to help?
Warning: I got increasingly rambly.

Since you asked
Eh, just a little mess that, so far as I can tell, revolves around the credit bureaus. Haven't been able to get an updated SS card because of this, like, whole web of issues (including the pandemic shutting down offices), which in turn prevented me from updating my name with employers (and I'm not sure how trying to get a new job is going to go with still the outdated SS card). Some online accounts have also just been... weird. Just, I'm pretty sure there's one I've updated twice that keeps setting itself back, and another that updated my name everywhere except, like, the greeting and maybe one or two other spots?

More about the SS thing
Multiple attempts to send me an updated card have failed, and the next attempt required sending it to the office instead and having be no pick it up, buuuut... boom, pandemic. I suspected an issue with the mailing address even though I was assured multiple times that was "just the way their system writes it." Tried using the online service to figure something out, but I can't because maybe the wrong address is being pulled or it's not typed as exactly the absolute perfect match (tried a bunch over multiple days, just kept getting locked out again), or maybe one or more of the credit unions created a second file for me instead of updating the existing one (the credit unions have denied this and it's totally perfect but also the one can't find me even though it's all perfect), or their system just has a bug or something that seems weirdly specific to me, or something.

Still working on deciding how to manage my email change. I've got so much stuff tied up in the old one, and also don't want to carry over a whole lot of just... spam.

Branching off a little, also slightly grumpy that deviantArt only allows username changes with a "core" (paid) membership. I know it's just a screen name, but it is dumb. I've actually been sorta pleasantly surprised how easy a lot of sites make it.

I still need to finish updating my passport, too... I have both the booklet and the card and got the booklet updated, but held off on the card because... I have no other ID. Which also means that even though my state is among those that include a third gender option on ID and stuff, and I did the thing, I have no ID that says it, just official copies of the court document. Hng, there was even a recent attempt to finally get a third gender option on passports, but that got shot down... Meanwhile there's places that just... don't put gender markers on IDs at all and it's a non-issue.

Sorry, it's 4am Friday and thanks to one regular-sized freaking cup of coffee I haven't managed to sleep since Wednesday morning. Tried. Failed. Gonna go try again now.
Novus Topic Starter

ChocolateIceCream wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!<3<3<3<3
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Congrats :)
Thank you both so much!!! <3
Zelphyr wrote:
Novus wrote:
Zelphyr wrote:
Congrats!

Warning: I got increasingly rambly.

Since you asked
Eh, just a little mess that, so far as I can tell, revolves around the credit bureaus. Haven't been able to get an updated SS card because of this, like, whole web of issues (including the pandemic shutting down offices), which in turn prevented me from updating my name with employers (and I'm not sure how trying to get a new job is going to go with still the outdated SS card). Some online accounts have also just been... weird. Just, I'm pretty sure there's one I've updated twice that keeps setting itself back, and another that updated my name everywhere except, like, the greeting and maybe one or two other spots?

More about the SS thing
Multiple attempts to send me an updated card have failed, and the next attempt required sending it to the office instead and having be no pick it up, buuuut... boom, pandemic. I suspected an issue with the mailing address even though I was assured multiple times that was "just the way their system writes it." Tried using the online service to figure something out, but I can't because maybe the wrong address is being pulled or it's not typed as exactly the absolute perfect match (tried a bunch over multiple days, just kept getting locked out again), or maybe one or more of the credit unions created a second file for me instead of updating the existing one (the credit unions have denied this and it's totally perfect but also the one can't find me even though it's all perfect), or their system just has a bug or something that seems weirdly specific to me, or something.

Still working on deciding how to manage my email change. I've got so much stuff tied up in the old one, and also don't want to carry over a whole lot of just... spam.

Branching off a little, also slightly grumpy that deviantArt only allows username changes with a "core" (paid) membership. I know it's just a screen name, but it is dumb. I've actually been sorta pleasantly surprised how easy a lot of sites make it.

I still need to finish updating my passport, too... I have both the booklet and the card and got the booklet updated, but held off on the card because... I have no other ID. Which also means that even though my state is among those that include a third gender option on ID and stuff, and I did the thing, I have no ID that says it, just official copies of the court document. Hng, there was even a recent attempt to finally get a third gender option on passports, but that got shot down... Meanwhile there's places that just... don't put gender markers on IDs at all and it's a non-issue.

Sorry, it's 4am Friday and thanks to one regular-sized freaking cup of coffee I haven't managed to sleep since Wednesday morning. Tried. Failed. Gonna go try again now.

Oh lort, the credit bureaus. The pandemic really threw a wrench into things for just about everybody, honestly, though for those of us who are trying to move forward with personal changes it's just frustrating. As for the online account you're having trouble with. Is there some sort of customer service line you could call? Or accounts receivable? :(

Same with the SS card. I wonder if there's someone you can call to assist. That is, if they're even open. Here in MO I've been having trouble getting to the DMV because they close it randomly now. And when it's not closed, you wait in line in these little boxes 6 ft apart from one another on the sidewalk while military personnel are walking up and down making sure you don't start stuff.

As for the email, Markus wasn't the first name I settled on. I went through two other emails before I settled on this one. Ehehe. There is a way to forward your emails to your new one, if that would help in your decision-making.

Oh and yeah. Some websites make it next to impossible to change. ANYTHING. Sure, it is a screen name, but that's your identity.

I also need to finish my passport, birth certificate, etc. and I'm not looking forward to that. Your state offers a third gender though?! :o

Don't apologize. That's a long time without sleep, and I really hope you get some soon. :(
Congrats, Markus!!! This is amazing news!!! And such great news amidst such other life-changing things. I hope this continues to bring a smile to your face and help you through rough times! :D
Novus wrote:
Is there some sort of customer service line you could call? Or accounts receivable? :(

Same with the SS card. I wonder if there's someone you can call to assist. That is, if they're even open. Here in MO I've been having trouble getting to the DMV because they close it randomly now. And when it's not closed, you wait in line in these little boxes 6 ft apart from one another on the sidewalk while military personnel are walking up and down making sure you don't start stuff.

[...]

I also need to finish my passport, birth certificate, etc. and I'm not looking forward to that. Your state offers a third gender though?! :o

Have called, part of how I've gotten the info I have. And to be fair, partly my fault right now, one of the credit places is waiting for me to mail some stuff and i keep forgetting. Also haven't gotten around to trying mailing an SS card replacement application thing, largely because that requires I go find an open printing place.

The stuff with your DMV is terrifying in multiple ways. :(

Keep in mind that passports take for freaking ever to process. I guess unless you're able to go to a special center where I guess you can actually get it done, like, that day? (Friend who works for an airline told me, but i don't remember what the place is called or how much of an extra fee it takes.) And I'm actually leaving my birth certificate alone for now, especially since I have to keep the court order handy anyway. And yeah, my state (Oregon) is one of a small handful that currently allow a third gender option on stuff through the DMV, at least. Unfortunately, I don't know what happens if someone gets that, then moves to a state that doesn't, particularly if they manage to get birth certificate and anything else updated too so they have... nothing that fits in a binary-only state. (My birth state is not currently among those permitting a third gender, which is why I'm not bothering to update birth certificate yet.)
Congrats!~~~ :D
that's great!!
Novus Topic Starter

Namei wrote:
Congrats!~~~ :D
Mejasoulfruit wrote:
that's great!!
Thank you, guys! I agree. It's fantastic!
Somnom wrote:
Congrats, Markus!!! This is amazing news!!! And such great news amidst such other life-changing things. I hope this continues to bring a smile to your face and help you through rough times! :D
It's definitely helped put a bit of shine in these dark days. Thank you!
Zelphyr wrote:
Have called, part of how I've gotten the info I have. And to be fair, partly my fault right now, one of the credit places is waiting for me to mail some stuff and i keep forgetting. Also haven't gotten around to trying mailing an SS card replacement application thing, largely because that requires I go find an open printing place.

The stuff with your DMV is terrifying in multiple ways. :(

Keep in mind that passports take for freaking ever to process. I guess unless you're able to go to a special center where I guess you can actually get it done, like, that day? (Friend who works for an airline told me, but i don't remember what the place is called or how much of an extra fee it takes.) And I'm actually leaving my birth certificate alone for now, especially since I have to keep the court order handy anyway. And yeah, my state (Oregon) is one of a small handful that currently allow a third gender option on stuff through the DMV, at least. Unfortunately, I don't know what happens if someone gets that, then moves to a state that doesn't, particularly if they manage to get birth certificate and anything else updated too so they have... nothing that fits in a binary-only state. (My birth state is not currently among those permitting a third gender, which is why I'm not bothering to update birth certificate yet.)
OOohhhhhhhhh. Well, still. Finding a printing place that's open amidst all this mess sucks, so I don't blame you. Shame you can't just email them the information... hehehe

But no, that's too convenient.

I know that passports take forever and a day, but I don't plan on travelling outside of the country. Especially not in this pandemic. I'm going to send the information for my birth certificate because I don't want to be caught in case I need it. Right now is the perfect time for me because I'm not leaving the house after I move XD

But because your birth state doesn't recognize non-binary I can see why you'd hold off. Oh but that's just so cool about Oregon!!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Name Change

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus