Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » So, anyone getting ready for NaNoWriMo?

Just wonderin'. =3 This'll be my first time getting started early. I've actually tried to do a NaNo project three times in a row, and I've never managed to get a single word down. -_- Makes me feel uber lame. Right now I'm working on picking out a good plot (I've just got so many tumbling around in my think meat) and as soon as I've got that down, I might start working on characters. It'll be the farthest I've ever gotten.

So what are your past experiences with NaNoWriMo? Do you pick out a plot and makes notes months before, or do you just dive right on on Nov. 1st? Do you have any idea of what you're going to do this year?
Me! I just signed up and it'll be the first time I try. I have high hopes in this because I'll try with a novel I've been working on for a LONG time. I just can't even get the beginning right. Every piece I write seems like it just will not do. So I've got like a little more than seven pages. Yep. Just that. In like three years =P A lot of re writing and stuff. So this time I'll start it finish it!
I am going to try! I have done NaNoWriMo for the past three years, and I really don't want to stop now! I don't expect to succeed, but I am going to try anyways, despite college :)
Ilmarinen Moderator

I have been doing NaNo almost 10 years, though there were one or two years I think I missed. I won two years, 2011 and 2005, but I came close a few other times. The past few years I've been just adding wordcount to my existing story, so I have a plot and everything pretty clearly laid out. This year I did Camp Nano twice for the same purpose.

For me, it's a crap shoot. There were times when I dove in headlong and other times when I meticulously planned everything.

This year I'm trying to get Redbeard to do it for the first time. It'll be nice to have support if he gets into it.
I am! :D

I've done NaNoWriMo for yeeears. My account is random_highjinx if anyone is looking for writing buddies!

My usual modus operandi is this:

Start up in October: Pick topic, start research, take notes.
1st week of November: Get the general outline set, write an ending.
The rest of November: ALL THE WRITING!

I have pretty much settled on my novel idea for this year. I'm in the research faze now XD
Oh man, I wish I had the time to spend on it. Damn university projects grmbl grmbl.
Yes, I am!!! Well, assuming I can finish this other novel that's been plaguing me for the last six years.

ANYWAY, I'm doing a re-telling of "Romeo and Juliet" with a fantasy spin to it. This will be my 8th NaNo despite the number of times I keep telling myself that I'll stop when it becomes less fun. >_> I like challenging myself too much I guess.

Generally I plan only the characters and basic plot, but I'm going to attempt to try to carve out a subplot. I don't actually decide what I write until October 31st, midnight. ^^; It keeps me from getting too pressured.
Also, Lilsunnyleaf, the only pre-whatever that I did was deciding the time period. I went with Sci-fi for the first two times because it gives you a lot of freedom. You can make up entire galaxies, so I knew I'd have a lot to write about! :) Other than that, I had the appearance of the main character decided and that was it!

So, I don't really do a lot of preparation. Last year I did a modern-fantasy thing with dragons and stuff, but that one was super difficult for me, don't know why. I managed to squeeze by with 51k words, but I don't think I'll be repeating that.

This year, I want to try a medieval-fantasy time period. I looove medieval-fantasy and I'm always RPing it, so I'm going to attempt to write a story in it! I think I'll be making a lot of my own renditions of mythical creatures, but I have no idea what the plot is going to be yet. I almost never know the ending of the story I'm writing until I get to the middle or closer to the end! That doesn't work for some people, but that's just how my writing style is :)
TheLily

I'm prepping, but I keep changing my mind about the plot. Last year I planned out a really awesome (read: super lame) plot and then literally at 11:45, I changed my mind. I try not to do too much planned (because I've changed my mind three times since October started and I'm tossing out a tonne of notes), but I actually love preplanning. I get so many ideas. I don't want to talk too much about my plot, because I'm afraid if I do, I'll change my mind again!

Are you planning on doing Word Wars? I'm super competitive when it comes to writing. It really improved my word count yesterday, but I'm going to try not to finish in ten days this year because I want to be able to keep up with my school work without having to do a bunch of homework before hand (which I will be doing. I've been doing Latin work all weekend before it's even assigned!)
I'm going to try this year, I was going to last year but I got busy. Maybe I can do it this year!
Kim Site Admin

I won NaNoWriMo for 8 years in a row, for a total of 10 novels, several of which were 100k+ words. But last year I decided to sit it out and try to revise my past novels into a more readable state. I will probably do the same this year, but I'm looking forward to engaging with the NaNo community -- they usually don't turn you away from writing gatherings even if you're there to edit, not to create. :)

NaNoWriMo has proved itself very dangerous to my ligaments, so I think sitting it out will actually be the safe move for me!
PenGryphon2007 wrote:
Yes, I am!!! Well, assuming I can finish this other novel that's been plaguing me for the last six years.

ANYWAY, I'm doing a re-telling of "Romeo and Juliet" with a fantasy spin to it. This will be my 8th NaNo despite the number of times I keep telling myself that I'll stop when it becomes less fun. >_> I like challenging myself too much I guess.

Generally I plan only the characters and basic plot, but I'm going to attempt to try to carve out a subplot. I don't actually decide what I write until October 31st, midnight. ^^; It keeps me from getting too pressured.

Oh man, I have a love hate relationship with Romeo & Juliet, but I love the idea of writing it into a fantasy setting. I would TOTALLY illustrate that for you :D (Cause my brain just exploded with ideas)
Nuclear_Dingoz wrote:
I'm going to try this year, I was going to last year but I got busy. Maybe I can do it this year!

I has believe in you, Dingoz!! That and I can totally get after you if you need it XD
lilsunnyleaf Topic Starter

Squee, so many awesome fellow Wrimos here! =D Maybe we should start a RPR NaNo Support Group or somethin', to keep each other on track. I know I'm gonna need someone to give my tush a kick every now and again, at least. XD

To Kim: ... O_O You've won 8 years in a row? Dude. *bows again and again* I am unworthyyyy! XD Seriously, that's awesome! Congrats on that. And yeah, I've heard that the NaNo community is pretty great, very supportive. Good luck with editing! =)

TheLily: I've never actually heard of Word Wars, but I am intrigued, now. I must Google this, asap. I must beat everyone. (I don't even know what it is yet and I wanna beat people. -_- )
TheLily

Lilsunnyleaf (Can I call you something shorter?), Word Wars are where you choose a time frame (usually 5, 10 or 15 minutes, but they can be anything) and two or more people start writing at the same time and go until the time limit is over. Once it is, you check how many words you got. My best for 15 minutes is 1034 words, but I usually get around 800 or so.

You may call me Sunny. =) (Actually, I should probably add that to my profile...) And that sounds very interesting. Definitely seems like it could be helpful, 'specially when I just can't seem to write anything, which happens way too often... thanks!
Kim Site Admin

Word wars are a ton of fun. They keep you really accountable and focused and quell that urge to check facebook or fold laundry or just do anything else to procrastinate! They're held all the time on the NaNoWriMo forums during November, but we've also done them on the forums here since so many of us are writers!
lilsunnyleaf wrote:
Definitely seems like it could be helpful, 'specially when I just can't seem to write anything, which happens way too often... thanks!

I hate when that happens. It happens in almost every art form. A tip that I give to my students when they hit roadblocks, try switching up your medium. When you find yourself stuck, it really helps to try getting your brain moving in a different way. If you're having a hard time typing on a computer, try writing in a notebook, if that doesn't work try sketching. Even if you can't draw, use stick figures and make little comics about your story. There is something about making your brain work in a different way that flips that switch on a block faster than anything else. :D
I am SO EXCITED FOR NANOWRIMO I COULD SCREAM. Well, too late now lol. I love word wars- they are the best way for me to get my words in!! And luckily I have a very active local community and my neighbor and little sister are going to try this year :) It helps a lot to make it so much fun! This will be my third year, with no losses.. yet. hehe.

Aand if anyone needs an active writing buddy my username there is 'Pandah' as well!

Not even 10 hours to go, y'all! Squeak! Here's my profile on the NaNo website if anyone is interested in a writing buddy. I didn't get to work out my plot as much as I'd hoped, but I'm gonna start writing as soon as midnight hits here in South Texas, anyway.

Good luck and have fun, everyone!
I've never heard of NaNoWriMo but it seems fun- too bad I've got so many essays and assignments to do. Novemer is busy.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » So, anyone getting ready for NaNoWriMo?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus